GhostHell

The Upcoming Nightwish Album

1,243 posts in this topic

On 11/4/2019 at 3:31 PM, trinxy said:

After the album comes out, Nightwish will start on a tour of around 18 months and four continents.

Oh Christ... he means North and South America, Europe, and Asia, doesn’t he...

On 11/8/2019 at 4:19 AM, Majestico said:

I'm pretty sure April already came up somewhere before. At least that's when I was expecting the release to happen. It indeed seems like a long time, and it's going to be over five years since they released the previous studio album. Hopefully this is not a trend. I would really like to see the 10th album before 2025. Such a shame that most big metal bands, excluding Sabaton, are releasing albums so rarely these days. Probably because the income comes mostly from touring now.

All that matters, however, is that the music is still of high quality.

Sabaton are absolute beasts when it comes to their cycle, and all of their albums are generally fantastic. The Great War might just be their best. 

As far as Nightwish goes... yeah. It’s disappointing, although we have to remember that 2018 was entirely taken up with the Decades Tour; and I’d take that over another album any day (despite the apparent decision that Oz wasn’t worth their time). We’re getting a live album of Tarja songs with Floor freaking Jansen, that’s just incredible.

In a way it’s almost like NW are a supergroup now as opposed to a band. Marco (Marko?) has his solo band and tour supporting his (terrific) debut album, Floor’s been doing amazing work in the Netherlands, and Tuomas and Troy have AURI. With that sort of workload, a supergroup is naturally going to take longer between releases. 

That being said, I must agree; it would be incredibly disappointing if the 10th album was released in 2025.  3 albums in 15 years would be pretty devastating. 

Like you said, let’s just hope it’s a quality album :) hopefully a power metal album that shows off Floor’s incredible vocal power as opposed to a ballad album that keeps her subdued to high notes and soft vocals.

(And also lets hope that one of the four continents happens to be Australia!) 

Posts merged. Please avoid double posting! - Damian.

I can mostly envision the upcoming tour ending in late 2021 and Nightwish taking a break again. Tuomas working on the new Auri album between 2022 and 2023, maybe Floor releasing some sort of new music during that period also, and the guys doing their own stuff. They should probably reunite again in 2024 to record the 10th album, and release it in early 2025, with a subsequent tour lasting until the end of 2026 (which coincides with their 30th anniversary, so I guess we gonna have some kind of special concert or tour).

1 hour ago, GhostHell said:

I can mostly envision the upcoming tour ending in late 2021 and Nightwish taking a break again. Tuomas working on the new Auri album between 2022 and 2023, maybe Floor releasing some sort of new music during that period also, and the guys doing their own stuff. They should probably reunite again in 2024 to record the 10th album, and release it in early 2025, with a subsequent tour lasting until the end of 2026 (which coincides with their 30th anniversary, so I guess we gonna have some kind of special concert or tour).

What you say is very likely to be true, and yet I very much hope it isn't :P I make no secret of not being a fan of AURI, and the idea of two years being spent on it rather than NW is sobering. But, I must acknowledge that there would be those ecstatic at the thought of another AURI album, and you can't please everybody.

I would love Emppu, Floor, and Marco to splinter off and record an album between the three of them :dwarf:That would be pretty spectacular; Floor has shown with Northward that she is just as comfortable with rock music as metal, and I get the feeling Marco and Emppu would put together some pretty kick-ass rock music. 

You make a good point with the 30th anniversary; it's hard to envisage that milestone going by without a celebration of some sort. My guess would be the final show of the tour at Hartwall, taking place on the exact night of 30 years. I'd pay good money to be at that gig, that's for sure!

2 hours ago, The_Black_Rose said:

What you say is very likely to be true, and yet I very much hope it isn't :P I make no secret of not being a fan of AURI, and the idea of two years being spent on it rather than NW is sobering. But, I must acknowledge that there would be those ecstatic at the thought of another AURI album, and you can't please everybody.

I would love Emppu, Floor, and Marco to splinter off and record an album between the three of them :dwarf:That would be pretty spectacular; Floor has shown with Northward that she is just as comfortable with rock music as metal, and I get the feeling Marco and Emppu would put together some pretty kick-ass rock music. 

You make a good point with the 30th anniversary; it's hard to envisage that milestone going by without a celebration of some sort. My guess would be the final show of the tour at Hartwall, taking place on the exact night of 30 years. I'd pay good money to be at that gig, that's for sure!

I am neutral about Auri. Would definitely choose Nightwish in that slot of years, though. But like someone have said, they became a supergroup indeed, well-known musicians in Europe and outside it, so they can enjoy the luxury of spending a few years out of the spotlight or even working on less known projects and a huge fanbase will still be awaiting for their comeback. Gladly we still didn't had to pass through this moment, since they're always kinda active when they aren't recording new music (like touring or releasing live concerts), thus there wasn't a proper hiatus for us to suffer (and hopefully there won't be).

About the 30th anniversary, I think they deserve something like Royal Albert Hall (maybe with the long-awaited orchestra, guests, S, T, A, J and the whole package). :P Include the same show in a big arena in Finland (because is their homecountry), and a big arena in Germany (I think it's a good centrepoint for another European countries). I would expect at least 3 concerts, and unfortunately not ouside Europe.

Well, supergroup or not, the long time between album releases has been contributed to by line-up changes, pregnancies and other personal issues. If there's no line-up drama, I think it's safe to assume we're gonna get another album before 2025. If there is line-up drama, I'm guessing that's it for the band (fingers crossed it never happens, though).

Tarja and Tuomas have been in touch recently, so there's that at least.

Back on topic: i do hope that by 2025 we'll get two new albums after this one. Highly unlikely, but maybe...? 

6 hours ago, Speckofdust said:

According to Nightwish Pl fb page in December we will know the new album cover and the title  :)

That's very possible. I don't think it has been confirmed though. Just speculations for now. But I too believe that's what will happen. Probably around Christmas.

Weren't the EFMB details revealed around that time 5 years ago?

12 hours ago, Spectre said:

Still puzzling over the meaning of the cuneiform in the tour poster - one of you Finnish guys does not happen to know someone at the Ancient Near Estern Empires Centre of Excellence at the University of Helsinki? :geek:

Unfortunately not, but I've got the next best thing – someone on reddit's r/cuneiform. The below is a post I made on r/nightwish a while ago, in a thread speculating as to whether the cuneiform is in fact the encrypted album title. I also wanted to stake my claim on my guess for the title one more time, since it looks like we'll be getting the reveal soonish. And @Magnus, the EMFB title was revealed on 22 December 2014, with the tracklist following on 16 January 2015.

"I actually did some sleuthing on the cuneiform symbols when they first appeared on a tour poster, and found a pretty likely translation for the whole sequence. All credit goes to u/Zqquu on the cuneiform subreddit, who answered my request for translation help as follows (emphasis added):

It looks like someone tried to write the signs “LU2.SAL AN” but reversed the SAL sign ... by themselves, LU2 = man, and SAL = woman. The writer could have been attempting “man and woman of the god.”

Given what we know about the context and likely thematic thrust of the new album, my first thought was that a reference to Adam and Eve makes a lot of sense. The use of the cuneiform along with what we know about the first music video and inspiration drawn from black mirror seems to me to hint at an album that explores humanity's trajectory from "paradise" to a potentially dystopian future via the first Mesopotamian civilizations and more.

As i mulled potential album titles based on this line of reasoning, I figured that it could look to convey the idea of humankind's journey from Eden to modern times and beyond towards Homo Deus, if you will. Tuomas has always made prominent use of biblical and specifically Edenic imagery, including in the celebration of the secular worldview that was Endless Forms Most Beautiful, so doing so again would be perfectly in keeping with his lyrical style. Based on the above (and the fact that I think it would make an awesome title), my best guess at what the next album will be called is

"Out of Eden"

Richard Dawkins also has a book entitled "River out of Eden", of which Tuomas is, at the very least, very likely aware, and so it is reasonable to assume that he's familiar with the phrase. And given that he already almost named one album after a Dawkins book, he could do it again..."

28 minutes ago, Speckofdust said:

Out of Eden would be cool album title ;)

I think so too! "River out of Eden" would be pretty sweet too, if he went with Dawkins' book title unaltered. Obviously any guess is a long shot, since we're going on very little actual information. But I guess that means there's all the more internet points up for grabs if someone manages to get it right :sweat:

Nooo... That doesn't sound right to me. It's not Nightwish-y in my mind. :teehee:

Endless Forms Most Beautiful was revealed on December 22nd 2014, and its tracklist on January 16th 2015. Élan was released a month later, February 13th.

Are they creatures of habit enough?

2 hours ago, NeoGeorg said:

Nooo... That doesn't sound right to me. It's not Nightwish-y in my mind. :teehee:

Okay then.

The OWL out of Eden. 

giphy.webp

I want my Eden back? 

I want my Eden now? 

Out of Eden is a wonderful name... It's simple and seems very good for the artwork, the concept... It has "punch". 

Ok. I'm going to try my long shot.

The Ancestor's Tale.

It's another Dawkings book.

Didn't Tuomas say in an interview recently he wished for a collaboration with David Attenborough? Though he had to decline.

Is there maybe any works he's done that could be inspiration for an album title? 

Edit: Sir David Attenborough!* :laugh:

Edited by Undertow

8 minutes ago, Undertow said:

Didn't Tuomas say in an interview recently he wished for a collaboration with David Attenborough? :laugh:

The First Eden

Is a book of David, 1984.