GhostHell

The Upcoming Nightwish Album

1,243 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Ilsche said:

What's this based on? Or am I being thick and missing joke ūüėÖ

One of the Tero Instagram pics. It says NW DEMO 2019 NEW ALBUM BU. 

OR MAYBE IS JUST BACKUP

11 minutes ago, GreatEye said:

OR MAYBE IS JUST BACKUP

Yeah I do remember seeing this, but didn't think it was very likely referring to the album title. Could be wrong though of course. Any guesses as to what "BU" could be?

1 hour ago, GreatEye said:

OR MAYBE IS JUST BACKUP

The Brightest Utopia

The Black Union

Beyond the Unknown

Beliefs Undone

Broken Universes

I can come with a lot of crazy titles :P

On 11/23/2019 at 6:36 AM, Pendulum said:

I'll take a stab at album title guesses.

Descent of Man

The cuneiform symbols stand for Man, Woman and Heaven, so there must be some relationship to Babylonian myths/legends. Pretty much all religious narratives talk about man's ascent towards Godliness/Godhood/Heaven/Immortality (e.g. just look at many of the New Agey beliefs swimming around about how humanity is "ascending" in consciousness - even non-religious people talk about salvation and immortality through technological means). Maybe that's the meaning these symbols are trying to convey? Man is continually looking towards the heavens, towards the Gods, towards technology for his immortality and salvation, and in doing so he ignores what he already has before him - sometimes inviting his own destruction in the process.

Perhaps Nightwish wants to counter the ascension narrative - that man isn't ascending towards anything, but is actually descending into the abyss. We know there is likelihood they will be exploring apocalyptic themes, and what better Babylonian tale than the epic of Gilgamesh as a parallel. We will probably see extensive use of the Gilgamesh/biblical Genesis narratives as analogies (i.e. Man's dawn and his demise). Read the summary of the Gilgamesh tale - after his futile quest for immortality, Gilgamesh "comes to understand that the most important thing in life is to have lived and loved well." - i.e. accept mortality and live a good life. Sounds like Nightwish philosophy 101 to me.

If we are continuing with some of the themes from EFMB, perhaps Tuomas will continue taking album title inspiration from Darwin's works. It would be a nice bit of word play, both descent in the sense of evolutionary descent and descent in the sense of a descent into the abyss because of our collective folly - an inversion of the "ascent of man" narrative.

N.B. An additional thought - they asked David Attenborough to participate? He commissioned a series for the BBC called "The Ascent of Man". 

Very nice research. And I like this theory. It would be very fascinating for them to reference Gilgamesh, since this is an epic tale that is known, but not actually that well known. Not up against epics like the Iliad. There is also a chance that Tuomas could reference the Enuma EliŇ° in this album as well, as it refers to creation, and was the inspiration for what would later become the Book of Genesis.

the new album will be called Bwind Uembraced (ft. new vocalist Vibeke Van Giersbergen)

:P

I quite like the title "Back Up". It's very Nightwishish. 

7 hours ago, Baki said:

I quite like the title "Back Up". It's very Nightwishish. 

LMAO.

I love you.

Given that Floor is now famous in the Netherlands and will be touring on her own, BU obviously refers to the backup singer NW has had to hire. They might be recording a second version of the album with this backup singer, just in case. The band is already doomed and Tero is trying to warn us!

/s

Then it could be: Broken Up or just Break-Up. No, let's not go there!

Bad Understanding

Broken Universe/Bright Universe

Bright Unity/Broken Unity

Big Ultimate

You know, somehow I don't think it's the album initials...

Btw, isn't it weird (not in a bad way) that they've put these symbols everywhere? They are in every tour poster, even the festival ones, and now they are in Floor's jacket too. I don't remember them doing that before. With album titles or other symbols.

1 hour ago, Figment-of-me said:

Then it could be: Broken Up or just Break-Up. No, let's not go there!

Bad Understanding

Broken Universe/Bright Universe

Bright Unity/Broken Unity

Big Ultimate

You know, somehow I don't think it's the album initials...

Its backup!!! No hint for new album title!!

I crave another update on their progress. It feels like it's been too long. :(

^It's a shame we don't get a video of Floor buying beer somewhere this time around :cry:

Teero answered me on instagram that the first round of mixing is almost done..But I don't know that it means? How many it will be then? 

On 11/23/2019 at 12:36 PM, Pendulum said:

I'll take a stab at album title guesses.

Descent of Man

The cuneiform symbols stand for Man, Woman and Heaven, so there must be some relationship to Babylonian myths/legends. Pretty much all religious narratives talk about man's ascent towards Godliness/Godhood/Heaven/Immortality (e.g. just look at many of the New Agey beliefs swimming around about how humanity is "ascending" in consciousness - even non-religious people talk about salvation and immortality through technological means). Maybe that's the meaning these symbols are trying to convey? Man is continually looking towards the heavens, towards the Gods, towards technology for his immortality and salvation, and in doing so he ignores what he already has before him - sometimes inviting his own destruction in the process.

Perhaps Nightwish wants to counter the ascension narrative - that man isn't ascending towards anything, but is actually descending into the abyss. We know there is likelihood they will be exploring apocalyptic themes, and what better Babylonian tale than the epic of Gilgamesh as a parallel. We will probably see extensive use of the Gilgamesh/biblical Genesis narratives as analogies (i.e. Man's dawn and his demise). Read the summary of the Gilgamesh tale - after his futile quest for immortality, Gilgamesh "comes to understand that the most important thing in life is to have lived and loved well." - i.e. accept mortality and live a good life. Sounds like Nightwish philosophy 101 to me.

If we are continuing with some of the themes from EFMB, perhaps Tuomas will continue taking album title inspiration from Darwin's works. It would be a nice bit of word play, both descent in the sense of evolutionary descent and descent in the sense of a descent into the abyss because of our collective folly - an inversion of the "ascent of man" narrative.

N.B. An additional thought - they asked David Attenborough to participate? He commissioned a series for the BBC called "The Ascent of Man". 

Nice research. I also found out that the cuneiforms mean man, woman and heaven in old Babilonic writing. The last symbol may also have the meaning star or God. 

So I'am thinking in two  additional directions.

The first one is Carl Sagan based. He has the quote: We are made of star stuff. (mankind star)  

The second one is more or less like yours. (mankind God) Maybe in the way that mankind is playing for Gods, destroying the planet.

Something like we should work together so we won't end up in Babilonic events.

Maybe even all of the meanings together, I would quite like that.

I got what I wanted. :D

3 rounds. 1st is to get the bacic mixing done. (75% ready at this point) second is getting more in to details (95% ready) 3rd is just a few small fixes after listening the demo mastering and then it’ll be 100% ready for final mastering.

Imagine that we could have an official name in just a month!

Whatever the title is, pretty please don't let it be just "Nightwish". Self-titled albums, especially when they're not the debut album, is a major pet peeve of mine :P

2 hours ago, Magnus said:

Whatever the title is, pretty please don't let it be just "Nightwish". Self-titled albums, especially when they're not the debut album, is a major pet peeve of mine :P

Tuomas loves poetic justice and I think he will title the last Nightwish album "Nightwish". First song / last album kind of journey.

Also I am pretty sure that he will be very certain when that last album arrives, and also I think that last album is due in the not-so-distant future.

1 hour ago, planet_terror said:

Tuomas loves poetic justice and I think he will title the last Nightwish album "Nightwish". First song / last album kind of journey.

Also I am pretty sure that he will be very certain when that last album arrives, and also I think that last album is due in the not-so-distant future.

While I realize it sounds very pessimistic; I’m inclined to agree with you. While I’d hate to be right, 2025 will be the release date of the next album if they follow their current release schedule, and that would be their tenth album. Tenth album; and a world tour containing their 30th anniversary? There’s something foreboding about that.

That all being said, I‚Äôm an autistic individual who gets anxious and overthinks waaaaay more than is healthy, so take my opinion with a grain of salt :P¬†but I don‚Äôt think this upcoming album will be called ‚ÄúNightwish‚ÄĚ. I‚Äôm fairly sure it‚Äôll have something to do with Eden.