GhostHell

The Upcoming Nightwish Album

677 posts in this topic

Of course, Tuomas has been sad every time he's been writing sad lyrics, but it's not only Tuomas. No one can write sad music when feeling happy. In fact, most Finnish music, be it metal, rock, pop, classical, or whatever, is sad. And it's not only music, but art in general. Novels, plays, films, TV series, paintings, etc. are mostly sad. This means that Finnish filmmakers and artists must be very sad. And it's not only producers, but consumers, too. Hardly anyone feeling happy buys sad art. I think it's a global thing. Everyone listening to Nightwish or almost any metal must be sad. Metal is a bigger thing in Finland than anywhere in the world. Consequently, Finland is ranked as one of the world's most unhappy nations every year.

On 7/30/2018 at 1:43 AM, Hyperspace said:

I saw this article posted on one Nightwish Facebook page that I visit on a regular basis:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/nightwish-have-written-up-to-90-of-new-album

It's a few days old at this point and I'm surprised no one here has even posted the article yet.  It gives me at least a small amount of hope that the next album could be released before the end of 2019, but it will probably end up being a 2020 release instead.

This part of the article stood-out to me:

Asked about the orchestral sound on their next album, Holopainen says that he thinks they’ll use the instrumentation in a “different way than before” and adds: “I just feel that we took it to the maximum with the previous album.

“But it's such an essential part of the band and the sound that we don't want to get rid of the orchestra ever. But you want to search for some new ways of using it so that it doesn't end up sounding the same as before. We have some good ideas for that."

It makes me curious to know what he has in mind. I'm glad to hear the orchestra will still be there (as he said, it's become an essential part of the music of Nightwish), but, I am glad he is thinking of doing something different. So, maybe we won't have an EFMB pt. 2.

5 hours ago, CenturyChild625 said:

This part of the article stood-out to me:

It makes me curious to know what he has in mind. I'm glad to hear the orchestra will still be there (as he said, it's become an essential part of the music of Nightwish), but, I am glad he is thinking of doing something different. So, maybe we won't have an EFMB pt. 2.

Then that is better!

I always thought that the next one will be in the same veins of EFMB which I quite enjoyed - except for a couple of songs. I mean, I like EFMB because of its "laid-back" atmosphere, balanced sound (sound not too compressed or too bombastic or overdrowning the other layers) but you can still feel the intense emotions in every song.

Like what I said on my previous post, I hope the new album contains some songs ala Oceanborn or Wishmaster but retaining that EFMB balanced sound.

They're totally adding electronic sounds to the next album. What else could be new? And they toyed with them in Auri.

42 minutes ago, Ahasverus said:

They're totally adding electronic sounds to the next album. What else could be new? And they toyed with them in Auri.

Yes, that's true :( And Floor with record her vocals with  help of auto tune.

Also this guy will be guest on few songs:

Some high quality electronica would be too good, I don't expect it from NW. I personally have no desire for another Nightwish album, since they've gotten super cheesy and trite. I'm also not into Floor at all, I still follow this band because I feel like we've been friends for a long time, but our relationship is kinda dead. Auri is something more of my liking in this moment, I like Johanna's style a million times better than Floor's and I feel the compositions are far more fresh and interesting. Let's see what Tuomas will do.

2 hours ago, Ahasverus said:

They're totally adding electronic sounds to the next album.

Is that so bad? Electronic sounds can be heard in Elegy too, and it is classic Amorphis' album.

I wouldn't mind some saxophone either. 

9 hours ago, Ann_argr said:

I hope so! I already liked the alternative EFMB version more than the original!

My cat crying is better than the Original, but yes, there is some interesting landscaping going on. There's also Imaginaerum The Score which used electronic sounds to great lengths.

I'm excited, personally. Specially since Tuomas has Hanz Zimmer as an inspiration and his Interstellar Score is the most beautiful thing in the world and the number one argument for the inclusion of electronics in music 

On 8/30/2018 at 10:15 AM, Ann_argr said:

Wow.  That was a special kind of awful.

On 8/30/2018 at 4:15 PM, Ann_argr said:

I like! But where did this come from? :)

1 hour ago, Serena said:

I like! But where did this come from? :)

The EFMB (deservengly flop) single

I don't know, I feel like Tuomas implements electronic sounds in a very uninteresting way. I hope that if he does in the next album, it actually doesn't sound like a cheap trance dance track. There are so many beautiful and subtle ways of making electronic music sound beautiful, cunning, etc. 

Who knows, he might surprise us.

The alternative versions of Elán and Endless Forms Most Beautiful on each respective single were done by Petri Alanko, let's not forget.

^ Indeed, and I believe that Petri Alanko was also responsible for Imaginaerum: The Score (I mean, obviously the soundtrack was a reworking of the Imaginaerum songs which were predominantly written by Tuomas, but the arrangements/ electronic elements that were added to the soundtrack were set up by Petri Alanko)?

I think electronic sounds can work very well, depending on how they're implemented. But the alternative version of EFMB just sounds messy to me, and frankly I found AURI pretty underwhelming, so I'm not entirely sure I trust Nightwish to deliver on the electronic front...

6 minutes ago, Himiko said:

I think electronic sounds can work very well, depending on how they're implemented. But the alternative version of EFMB just sounds messy to me, and frankly I found AURI pretty underwhelming, so I'm not entirely sure I trust Nightwish to deliver on the electronic front...

Auri? I don’t think there’s any Electronic sounds on Auri. 

Wow, that alternative EFMB version sounded almost decent. Elan was awful, though. 

On 8/29/2018 at 8:17 PM, whitenoise said:

Consequently, Finland is ranked as one of the world's most unhappy nations every year.

(OffTopic starts here) Um, is this some kind of sarcasm I don't get? Finland was this year ranked as the happiest country in the world. Not that it seems like it, at least in Helsinki most people seem either depressed or angry. (OffTopic ends here)

On 9/1/2018 at 12:15 AM, planet_terror said:

I hope that if he does in the next album, it actually doesn't sound like a cheap trance dance track.

Who knows, he might surprise us.

I know right, I can imagine electronic sounds that sound like some 30€ toy keyboard... :whistle: Let's indeed hope he'll surprise us.

11 hours ago, Imaginarium said:

(OffTopic starts here) Um, is this some kind of sarcasm I don't get? Finland was this year ranked as the happiest country in the world. Not that it seems like it, at least in Helsinki most people seem either depressed or angry. (OffTopic ends here)

I've never been sarcastic!!!

If it really has to be "electronic". I hope it won't be more electronic than Subway To Sally's latest record:

Things are getting more complicated, I didn't realize that quality of new nw album will depend on Finland's rating on the world's most happy country list  :D.

I've heard that alcohol is making people depressed, maybe Tuomas should start drinking more. We can agree that he doesn't drink enough vodka for an average Finnish person.

ps. just joking around, don't take this seriously