GhostHell

The Upcoming Nightwish Album

269 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Imaginarium said:

(OffTopic starts here) Um, is this some kind of sarcasm I don't get? Finland was this year ranked as the happiest country in the world. Not that it seems like it, at least in Helsinki most people seem either depressed or angry. (OffTopic ends here)

I've never been sarcastic!!!

If it really has to be "electronic". I hope it won't be more electronic than Subway To Sally's latest record:

Things are getting more complicated, I didn't realize that quality of new nw album will depend on Finland's rating on the world's most happy country list  :D.

I've heard that alcohol is making people depressed, maybe Tuomas should start drinking more. We can agree that he doesn't drink enough vodka for an average Finnish person.

ps. just joking around, don't take this seriously

On 9/4/2018 at 5:20 PM, PoorYorick said:

Things are getting more complicated, I didn't realize that quality of new nw album will depend on Finland's rating on the world's most happy country list  :D.

I've heard that alcohol is making people depressed, maybe Tuomas should start drinking more. We can agree that he doesn't drink enough vodka for an average Finnish person.

ps. just joking around, don't take this seriously

I'm serious as always. It's not Tuomas but listeners who define album's quality. How albums are received correlates with general unhappiness.

AFAIK vodka is produced for alleviating depression.

3 hours ago, Calinn said:

But what's happiness, then?

Italianness.

18 hours ago, whitenoise said:

Italianness.

Nah, we just have a healthier drinking culture. And more sunlight, which is good only when you like (or need) sunlight. And more elderly people because we apparently are so averagely healthy that we live too long and because of this our economic system is collapsing.

As we say, "who has teeth has no bread and who has bread has no teeth". 

It doesn't take much to be unhappy, it takes a lot to be happy. We're the masters of our own fate

I mean, I can say I'm fairly happy with my life, but I'm still a sucker for melancholic music. I'm happy, that doesn't mean I want to listen to happy moosic. I actually think happy stuff and parties are a mean to distract people from their hollow lives. But I know that's a generalization, I think that only because parties and drunk 'happy' people make me feel incredibly alone.
When you're clinically depressed any kind of music will sound dull, depression makes you blind to the beauty of the world. It's horrible. There's one record from an artist I love which was clearly written when she was depressed, and it's a bad record. The live performances of that year are painful to watch, because there's nothing cathartic or artistic in a sick, anorexic woman singing about not jumping off a cliff only because the children. Let's not confuse melancholy with unhappiness, or worse depression. Remember that when Tuomas was angry and sad he gave birth to Master Passion Greed, and when was drunk and lonely wrote WIHAA. The Tuomas I like is the CC one: wanting for love, aiming at something. If now he is content and happy with his life, I'm ok. He already gave me something worth staying.

@Calinn

MPG and WIHAA are very popular in Finland. Jean Sibelius wrote his greatest symphonies when he was drunk.

2 hours ago, whitenoise said:

Jean Sibelius wrote his greatest symphonies when he was drunk.

Yeah. But then again most Finnish things, including Finnish people, are made while being drunk... :P

2 hours ago, whitenoise said:

MPG and WIHAA are very popular in Finland. 

Are they? Do we live in the same Finland? Well, WIHAA is but in my experience the basic hits are pretty much the songs people that aren't really fans know. And I haven't seen much positive comments on MPG.

3 hours ago, Imaginarium said:

Do we live in the same Finland?

I wonder it too.

15 hours ago, Imaginarium said:

Yeah. But then again most Finnish things, including Finnish people, are made while being drunk... :P

Does this include Nymphomaniac Fantasia? :teehee:

On 8/31/2018 at 12:46 AM, Ahasverus said:

My cat crying is better than the Original

I've seen some ridiculous posts on this forum, but that beats them all....

On 9/10/2018 at 6:35 AM, Essexboyinwales said:

I've seen some ridiculous posts on this forum, but that beats them all....

Ridiculous is that a 20 years old band makes a song with no coherent structure, no melody progression, bland instrumentation (I think Emppu can play that thing while in a coma) awful lyrics and can't be even bothered to give it an ending.

But I digress.

19 minutes ago, Ahasverus said:

Ridiculous is that a 20 years old band makes a song with no coherent structure, no melody progression, bland instrumentation (I think Emppu can play that thing while in a coma) awful lyrics and can't be even bothered to give it an ending.

You are still going on about that?

40 minutes ago, Adrn_2810 said:

What do you mean? It’s only been 3 and a half years...

7 minutes ago, Imagineer said:

What do you mean? It’s only been 3 and a half years...

Hm, I guess that is too little a timeframe to come up with something new or at least more sensible to get all worked up about 

2 hours ago, Adrn_2810 said:

Has the song been erased from existence? No? Well then I am.

1 hour ago, Adrn_2810 said:

Hm, I guess that is too little a timeframe to come up with something new or at least more sensible to get all worked up about 

Hopefully I won't have to.

24 minutes ago, Ahasverus said:

Has the song been erased from existence? No? Well then I am

How would you even do that?

The song isn’t bad, just admit you don’t like it and be done with it. If you truly believe every other song of theirs is at least somewhat alright but this one isn’t, nobody will take you seriously anyway. Besides, literally nothing in your last statement about the song is true.

28 minutes ago, Ahasverus said:

Hopefully I won't have to.

Fingers crossed, but I have a feeling that whatever is on the 2020 release, some of it will probably set you off.

On 8/29/2018 at 1:53 AM, GreatEye said:

I simply think that he doesn't have a challenge. He reached and fulfulled his dreams, he have everything that he wants it, he doesn't long anything, he doesn't have forbidden love, he doesn't have a muse, etc.

What makes you think Johanna can't be his muse? Or that he doesn't long for anything just because he's content with his life? ,Maybe he longs for world peace or more trees. 

Joke aside, I'm actually enjoying this newfound positivity of the band, I find it refreshing. And it's not like we've had 20 years of depression with Nightwith anyway, only the middle albums were more melancholic, AFI, Oceaborn and Wishmaster were full of doe-eyed wonder and child-like enthusiasm and they're still hailed as their best albums (ok, not AFI, the other two). 

@Calinn: he also wrote Slaying the dreamer when he was angry, but I absolutely get your point. The state of mind doesn't necessarily guarantee a certain outcome of a track. Yes, some states have a better influence over the end result, but it's not a rule. Deep complex music doesn't need the artist to be depressed and to tell you the truth, it's kind of disturbing that people would want a human being to be miserable simply in order to produce the music they like. 

On 9/8/2018 at 12:11 PM, Calinn said:

Remember that when Tuomas was angry and sad he gave birth to Master Passion Greed, and when was drunk and lonely wrote WIHAA. 

7 minutes ago, GreatEye said:

Aren't you afraid from his discussion about lacking passion? 

No. He has literally been saying that after every album ever since Oceanborn was released. Check out the interviews section for the specific interview. 

3 hours ago, angel_heart said:

@Calinn: he also wrote Slaying the dreamer when he was angry, but I absolutely get your point. The state of mind doesn't necessarily guarantee a certain outcome of a track. Yes, some states have a better influence over the end result, but it's not a rule. Deep complex music doesn't need the artist to be depressed and to tell you the truth, it's kind of disturbing that people would want a human being to be miserable simply in order to produce the music they like. 

Yes, that's my point. 
Good music can come out from any kind of feeling, and at the same time shitty music can come out from any kind of feeling. Sandness is not a guarantee of quality. 
I cringed when, yesterday, a friend of mine said that artists need to be sad to be such. I think that any emotion that's strong enough can drive great art. Love is a positive emotion and so many great songs have been written to express it. Longing is not a negative emotion in itself, and even melancholy can be smug. Hope is a positive feeling that gave us great songs.

There are kinds of pain that are so overwhelming that leave no room in you head for inspiration, music or anything, because they're just too much to process and they crush you, and legitimately drain all your time and thoughts.

2 hours ago, Imagineer said:

No. He has literally been saying that after every album ever since Oceanborn was released. Check out the interviews section for the specific interview. 

Nope. He says its first time that he hasn't got passion for writing for Nightwish. 

He said plenty of times that he is worn out, or that he spent all his inspiration, also was empty lot of times, but he admits that is first time that passion is gone. Thats the scariest part for myself.

What he means by passion is inspiration. It’s the same thing. And anyway that was before Auri, he said he found the “passion” again. Quit worrying for no reason. 

If last album had Dawkins then this time I want Neil deGrasse Tyson reading some Carl Sagan quotes. And of course a song called "The Symphony of the Four Horsemen" (Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens and Daniel Dennett)