• Announcements

• WhiteRaven

Nightwish Online - Features   03/12/2017

Check out a summary of the new features and changes on NightwishOnline here: http://www.nightwishonline.com/index.php?/forums/topic/4478-nightwishonline-new-features/  
hunebedbouwer

Your TOP-5 of ANYTHING

116 posts in this topic

It's simple. Express yourself! :music:  Your top-5 of anything bad, good, music, films, politicians, snacks, musea, cuddliest animals, cars, worst holidays, books, cd's you have, places you've been, capitals.......anything......anything.....anything goes (in a civilized way).

Video's or photo's are sometimes a good idea! 

I'll start with my top-5 of worst smells I've ever experienced:

5. cat urine

4. a ripe durian fruit (an extremely foul stinking fruit from southeastern Asia)

3. a sewage (poop in any kind or form really)

2. rotten eggs (I will puke)

1. Surströmming (fermented fish in a can from Sweden - I'm always one that wants to try everything before I can give an fair opinion, but I should have passed on this stuff. Utterly disgusting smell / I never got to the tasting part :bad: )

1. Surströmming (fermented fish in a can from Sweden - I'm always one that wants to try everything before I can give an fair opinion, but I should have passed on this stuff. Utterly disgusting smell / I never got to the tasting part :bad: )

Never tasted (or smelled) this thing, but the legend says it's an unforgettable experience. Finnish tv-series Madventures desided to give it a try once. They used surströmming as food to conquer their hangover and it was like this (fun starts at roughly 4 and half minute mark) :) :

Like they say, Swedes have a good sense of humor :laugh: . 

Hahaha. I already get gagging symptoms by just watching that video.  :music:

Harvest, you forgot to post the top-5 of your favourite Dutch female singers :P

Hahaha. I already get gagging symptoms by just watching that video.  :music:

The best part is when Riku Rantala tries to open up the can and explains how the smell reminds him of a festival toilet, that has soaked under heavy rain for a midsummer weekend and nobody has emptied it. And how horrible it is when you try to do your "business" in it. That's called maximizing the pain :laugh: .

Harvest, you forgot to post the top-5 of your favourite Dutch female singers :P

1.Annie

2.Floortje

3.Charlie

4.Sharon (I don't know if there's any diminutive for Sharon :dunno: )

5.Anouk

They should use Surstrómming for interrogation in the police force. Any criminal would confess immediately!

The diminutive for Sharon could be Sharonnetje, but that is a bit too far fetched.

My top-5 of favourite Pink Floyd songs:

1. Sorrow

2. On The Turning Away

3. Comfortably numb

4. Us And Them

5. High Hopes 

My top 5 symphonic metal debut albums:

1. Delain - Lucidity

2. Nightwish - Angels Fall First

3. Xandria - Kill the Sun

4. Within Temptation - Enter

5. Dark Sarah - Behind the Black Veil

My favourite 5 vegetables:

1. white asparagus

2. garlic

3. tomato

4. sugar snaps

5. potato

Top 5 of things I love about the English language:

1. How almost any word can be used as a verb (e.g. “It took us 15 years and three supercomputers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth” from Stargate SG-1).

2. Resultative constructions (“the toast burnt black”, “the river froze solid”). We don't have these in Spanish.

3. Path-of-motion constructions (“she danced into the room”, “it crawled out of the well”). We don't have these in Spanish, either, except if you are a lazy translator.

4. How easy it is to conjugate verbs.

5. Not having to worry about noun genders.

I love lists!

Top 5 University courses (dunno why it was the first thing that popped in my head :P )

1. Audiovisual Translation

2. Literary Translation

3. Shakespeare

4. Phonetics and Phonology

5. Introduction to Translation Studies

My top 5 female-fronted metal collabs:

1. Within Temptation feat. Tarja Turunen - Paradise

2. After Forever feat. Sharon den Adel - Beyond Me

3. Tarja Turunen feat. Alissa White-Gluz - Demons in You

4. Delain feat. Alissa White-Gluz - The Tragedy of the Commons

5. Halestorm feat. Amy Lee - Break In

My top 5 singers:

Male:

1. Tommy Karevik

2. Roy Khan

3. Michael Eriksen (Circus Maximus)

4. Ross Jennings (Haken)

5. Einar Solberg (Leprous)

Female:

1. Anette Olzon

2. Ailyn

3. Sharon den Adel

4.  Lori Lewis (Therion, Aesma Daeva)

5. Lana Del Rey

My top-5 of countries I really would like to visit:

1. Ireland

2. China

3. Sri Lanka

4. Iceland

5. Madagascar

Top 5 of bands I randomly found on YouTube:

1. Myrath

2. Fates Warning

3. Spaceslug

4. Lost in Thought

5. Scientic

My top 5 singers:

Male:

1. Tommy Karevik

2. Roy Khan

3. Michael Eriksen (Circus Maximus)

4. Ross Jennings (Haken)

5. Einar Solberg (Leprous)

Female:

1. Anette Olzon

2. Ailyn

3. Sharon den Adel

4.  Lori Lewis (Therion, Aesma Daeva)

5. Lana Del Rey

Mine:

1. Roy Khan

2. Tommy Karevik

3. Tony Kakko

4. Tobias Sammet

5. Marco Hietala

----

1. Tarja Turunen

2. Anette Olzon

3. Simone Simons

4. Liv Kristine

5. Sharon den Adel

@Stargazer_Voyager

Nice list, but I haven't heard of any of them! :good:

It's one of the very nice perks of YT to discover these kind of bands.

My list would be:

1. Within Temptation  :whistle:

2. Nightwish :D

3. The Wounded

4. The Dreamside

5. Moke

Favorite gym-exercises:

Learn how to do:

5.Pull-Ups

Tricky, but once you're able to do them, it's pretty much everything a person with normal goals needs for back exercise. Nice tips here.

4.Barbell-Row

Another great back exercise, if done correctly, meaning learn the technic first, adding weights after you know how to do them. Tips here

3.Squats

And again only if done correctly. With reasonable weights. Good warm-ups before and technic is most important. Everything you need for you're legs. Tips

2.Bench Press

Of course this is the exercise everyone always starts doing, because it's just so cool to bench press tons and break some part of your shoulders or wrists. Again, done with conservative weights it's a good overall exercise for not only you're chest but upper body in general. Tips, and most important part is that staying in your weight range. It pretty much is always the primary way to correct any mistakes. To use such weights that allow any exercise to be done correctly.

1. Dead Lift

Many say this exercise is the best overall exercise there is.I can agree. Like always technics first, it's important to learn how to do this correctly. Great overall exercise and the feeling afterwords is great. Tips

I think these pretty much sum up what a standard person who wants to stay in shape need. 

My top-5 of films, watched at a cinema, which were so bad that we've left before ít finished: 

5. Grijpstra & de Gier (NL - 1979)

4. The Last Days (GER - 2005)

3. Leef! (NL - 2002)

2. The Three Amigos (USA - 1986)

1. Lord Of War (USA - 2005)

Top 5 countries I would like to visit (and haven't visited yet):

1.-China

2.-Senegal

3.-Iceland

4.-Egypt

5.-Mongolia

Top 5 of cities I have visited!

1. Madrid

2. Dublin

3. Amsterdam

4. London

5. Rome

Cities/Countries that have been visited seem to be very popular, so here's my Top 5 of places where I've been:

1. UK (only been to Scotland and London but would love to go back to see the rest of the country)

2. Austria (mountains are just beautiful)

3. Ærø (Small Danish island in southern Denmark with a beautiful landscape and a long sailing history. Would also love to go back.)

4.Hallig Hooge (A small German island, just one or two meters above the sea and completely flat. The houses are built on artificial hills so that if there's high water they won't get damaged.)

5. Strasbourg, France (On the German border. Been a lot of times and it's always a pleasure to go back. It also has a really interesting because it initially belonged to France, then to Germany, then to France again. It shows in the buildings, the culture, the local dialect, everything. Very Beautiful as well. Driving is a nightmare though.)

Top 5 Places I want to visit:

1. Iceland

2. UK (Scotland and Wales particularly Edit: Cornwall as well.)

3. Ireland

4. Australia

5. New Zealand

This is more for the educated and well-read members..............my top-5 of favourite characters from the Asterix cartoons. :giggle:

I've posted the photo's and names that are used in the Dutch version, because I think they are quite different in every other language.

no.1 -  The wild boars

Het%2Beten.jpg

no.2 - Cassius Catastrofus (Asterix and the Roman agent)

destructivus_6652.jpg

no.3 - Xynix (Asterix and the soothsayer)

12_p9q2f.jpg

no.4 - Baba (in almost every album - his name in Dutch is Barbaar = barbarian, but because he can't pronounce the 'r', he ends up with Baba)

asterix%2B08.png

no.5 - Paella y Peseta (Asterix in Spain)

medium_soupalognonycrouton.jpg

This is more for the educated and well-read members..............my top-5 of favourite characters of the Asterix cartoons. :giggle:

Asterix is the cornerstone of education and well-reading, Par Toutatis!  Kind of feel sorry for those pirates, though. They've always worked so hard to purchase another boat and are about to pillage and plunder, when that small boat appears in the horizon..... :laugh:

My favorite drummers:

5.Sean Kinney - Alice In Chains

There's something very stylish in Kinney's playing. No Excuses

4.Clive Burr - Iron Maiden

My favorite Maiden-drummer, not as flashy as McBrain, but that style. Killers

3.Stewart Copeland - Police

Never cared about Police in general or Sting, but I've always loved Copeland's playing. There just so much imagination in it. Message In a Bottle

2.Martin Lopez - Amon Amarth, Opeth, Soen

Mixing latino/jazz-type of beats to brutal death metal blasting isn't that easy, but Lopez just has so much sense of style. Deliverance

1.Gavin Harrison 

Session-drummer most famous for Porcupine Tree, but has also played with numerous musicians, such as Iggy Pop, Eros Ramazotti and also plays drums on Sam Brown's smash hit Stop. Anasthetize

Top 5 of albums I listen to from beginning to end without skipping any songs because there are no weak songs in them:

1. Star One - Victims of the Modern Age

2. ReVamp - Wild Card

3. Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth

4. After Forever - Invisible Circles

5. Haken - Visions

Ayreon's 01011001 would have been #1 if it weren't for Web of Lies.

@Harvest

Did you know that those pirates come from the Redbeard cartoon albums? The first time I saw them in a Asterix album, I had a 'wait-a-minute-I've-seen those pirates-before'-moment. It did cost quite a lot of my memory brain cells before the quarter dropped. Never seen that between 2 major cartoons-series before.

I think, I could make a top-5 of drummers as well, but that would be more on a general appeal basis than on how they are technical rated, since I don't have that knowledge. It really surprised me that you mentioned Stewart Copeland.

So, my top-5 of favourite drummers is:

1. Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac - crazy as a mad man, but I reckon that's his appeal

2. Cesar Zuiderwijk - From The Golden Earring - not only a very nice guy, but I think he's a fantastic drummer as well

3. All Blue Man Group-drummers, because they are so, so very spectacular creative

4. The KODO-drummers from Japan. Just love all the tradition/education/classy style of these guys and (since 20 years or so) girls

5. Jukka Nevalainen - I just like Jukka behind the drums and his personality

Another top-5: favourite things about Greece

1. The Olympic Games

2. Island hopping

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_d5djq8snqg8o

Thera

3. The incredible hospitality of the people in the small villages on Crete

4. Agios Nicolaos on Crete, because I (while backpacking) had one of the most amazing times of my life there, socializing and having great fun with people from all over the world, while staying in a youth hostel. It lasted a whole month, which is a very unusual long time for backpackers to stay at one place, but they all did. The farewells were extremely hard, although I met some of them again in their own country (and later in the NL).  :)

5. The Greek salad and pistachio nuts.