Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tiranu

Interview with Troy by Metal Blast

32 posts in this topic

That one's fascinating. I wonder if people who would be offended have stopped reading Nightwish interviews, or if there will be another kerfluffle.

Good match of interviewee and interviewer, they had fun.

MB: I’ll just stick to mentioning you love baby jesus, you have a sociopathic fans and that you think that the Islamic call to prayer carries a horrible, pernicious message. I was planning to concentrate on those 3 bullet points.

T: Please concentrate on that. Make sure the title is “Troy Donockley of Nightwish thinks god is an idiot”

Why can't all interviews be like this? Absolutely fabulous, as Troy himself might have described it! Really, the subjects they spoke of were great as usual, but it's such a delight having engaging, longer interviews with great audio and picture.

Yes. Let Troy be a multi-instrumentalist, second guitarist included, in the future. I hear great things coming!

All of it really makes me realize what an impact this era of Nightwish has had, both for the band and also for me personally. Endless Forms Most Beautiful is not their most interesting album musically, but looking at how the band seems tighter and plays better together than ever before, and seem to bond over the new themes being explored, the greatest may be yet to come?! And my eyes have definitely been opened to the science and the ideologies, to the point where I see my own presence on Earth in a whole different light than a few years ago. No doubt it has, and will continue to influence the changes to my life I have planned in the near future.

Oh, Troy and you other wonderful people, Tuomas, Emppu, Jukka, Marco, Floor and Kai...! So inspiring...  :cry:

That they can see the difference, that it isn’t a gimmick. It isn’t a naked woman sprawled over some tombstone covered in blood.

As if there was anything wrong with that.

:P

I wonder if people who would be offended have stopped reading Nightwish interviews,

Has this happened in the past?

Anyway, this sounds very islamophobic, so I think it might very well upset people:

I’ve heard it in the streets, and it does sound beautiful, even though the message behind it is deeply pernicious and malignant.

:huh:

Why is he so clever hahaha reminds me of David Bowie, who always had the best answer for every question.

It miiiight have been a little irresponsible for him to openly bash Islam in the current extremist climate, but I disgress.

Really great and fresh interview. What Troy said about doing whatever they feel like doing and what he said about the overall spirit within the band makes me very happy and hopeful towards the future of the band. This is what makes the spirit of their music. We the fans can of course have our own wishes and expectations towards their future works and discuss this amongst ourselves, but in the end the most important thing to me is that they do what they truly want to. 

The meaning behind Vehicle of Spirit is also really nice. Makes a good title when you know the meaning behind it. I know some want more metal and some want less metal. I say keep defying the category and do whatever suits the song. If it's more then it's more, if it's less then it's less. I really liked the Wembley version of The Greatest Show on Earth with Troy playing the electric guitar in the intro. That's one wish I have for the future, more melodic guitar like that. It's a fresh sound to Nightwish. A bit Pink Floydish perhaps?  

It's the diversity in their music that is great, and the multi instrumentalist Troy is a great addition with that in mind. And also.. keep on experimenting! Like they did for instance with Slow, Love, Slow.  

I hope that he will retire soon. I don't like him at all, I can't stand his influence for Nightwish lyrics.

Why isn't there a downvote button? This guy deserves one. Seriously. I mean, I'm not the one to advocate for Nightwish to become a full Folk Metal band, but I don't think that will happen. Yes, since DPP they've been having more and more pipes and flutes. but not to the edge of becoming a folk metal band, I do think they've been quite well-balanced. Besides, he's a multi instrumentalist. There's so much he can do besides playing the pipes and he's done so.  Also, I don't think he's had any influence on Tuomas or the lyrics. Yeah, perhaps he's proposed some thing here or there, but I don't think he's guilty of anything. I think Tuomas has finally grown up and married, and I do think that's the biggest influence on him and the themes found within EFMB. I do find it kinda hypocritical how fans plead for Nightwish to have more instruments live and when they do, fans still complain. They want other people to contribute creatively and when they do, fans complain. They want more metal, and they bring another guy who can play the guitar, and fans complain. Humph. There's no way to keep fans happy, I guess.  The band seems happier than ever, even according to this interview, so, shouldnt we be happy too for them?? If they are happy this means we have NW for  a while longer. And believe me, that is a HUGE statement, since most big metal bands have no more than 10 years left, but that is a separate subject.

It miiiight have been a little irresponsible for him to openly bash Islam in the current extremist climate, but I disgress.

Because in the absence of an "extremist climate" bashing another religion is what wise men do, right? :P

Why isn't there a downvote button? This guy deserves one. Seriously. I mean, I'm not the one to advocate for Nightwish to become a full Folk Metal band, but I don't think that will happen. Yes, since DPP they've been having more and more pipes and flutes. but not to the edge of becoming a folk metal band, I do think they've been quite well-balanced. Besides, he's a multi instrumentalist. There's so much he can do besides playing the pipes and he's done so.  Also, I don't think he's had any influence on Tuomas or the lyrics. Yeah, perhaps he's proposed some thing here or there, but I don't think he's guilty of anything. I think Tuomas has finally grown up and married, and I do think that's the biggest influence on him and the themes found within EFMB. I do find it kinda hypocritical how fans plead for Nightwish to have more instruments live and when they do, fans still complain. They want other people to contribute creatively and when they do, fans complain. They want more metal, and they bring another guy who can play the guitar, and fans complain. Humph. There's no way to keep fans happy, I guess.  The band seems happier than ever, even according to this interview, so, shouldnt we be happy too for them?? If they are happy this means we have NW for  a while longer. And believe me, that is a HUGE statement, since most big metal bands have no more than 10 years left, but that is a separate subject.

What was this rant about?  :huh:

Fantastic interview, you can really see that the interviewer has done his homework dutifully. 

And Troy is really a great interviewee, one could see that already from his Ask NW answers on this forum, where he replied to every question very diligently, extensively and paid attention even to users' avatars. Probably because he doesn't get as much interview offers as Tuomas or Floor, so he takes them more seriously and avoids cliche copy-paste answers. 

On the other hand, while I appreciate his honesty, I still find some of his views about his "secularism" nonsensical (and that comes from an atheist, so I'm not offended by him not believing), that statement on muezzin singing is really ignorant and just wrong, I still cannot believe he voted in favour of Brexit, but whatever, we are happy to have him in the band. 

And please, bring flute sound back to NW!!!!

Troy has the right to express his opinions openly and if he thinks there's something pernicious behind Islam I don't see why he can't say it. And I'm a little fed up with that oversensitivity some religious people have. They can talk freely, bash atheists and even condemn them to Hell, but they always claim respect for themselves. The problem here, and I'm sure that's what Troy is talking about, is the structure of power behind official religions. Believing in God is absolutely respectable, but the structures created by patronizing overambitious narrow-minded human beings to control the minds of people (treated like a herd of sheep) are not. I'm an atheist but most of my friends believe in God.  Why should I care about it? I have lived in Morocco for six years and some of the best people I have met in my life are from there, obviously, muslims. There's nothing wrong with faith and it's not faith what Troy criticises.

But the call to prayer sung by muezzin does not mention any power structures, international terrorism or discrimination of women, just like Schubert's Ave Maria does not mention pedophile priests, Crusades or anti-abortion movement. I mean, he said himself he likes to sing carols about baby Jesus, but sees something malignant in Muslim call to prayer. I am not accusing him of Islamophobia, but simply saying that such statements are rather culturally prejudiced. Yes, of course he's got the right to say such things, just like I have the right to comment on them in a negative way. 

Because in the absence of an "extremist climate" bashing another religion is what wise men do, right? :P

What was this rant about?  :huh:

I was ranting about people complainign about Troy having too much influence on Tuomas. Which I don't exactly think he has. Perhaps to a degree, but I also think Tuomas is alrerady 40 and too old to keep composing about dead boys and scent of women that was not his.

Troy has the right to express his opinions openly and if he thinks there's something pernicious behind Islam I don't see why he can't say it. 

I'm sure it is completely unintentional and not the meaning you intended, but you do realize how scary this can sound to attentive ears?

If not, try this:

"Alfred Rosenberg has the right to express his opinions openly and if the thinks there's something pernicious behind Judaism, I don't see why he can't say it."

These very words have probably been uttered sometime in Germany in the 30s.

But the call to prayer sung by muezzin does not mention any power structures, international terrorism or discrimination of women, just like Schubert's Ave Maria does not mention pedophile priests, Crusades or anti-abortion movement. I mean, he said himself he likes to sing carols about baby Jesus, but sees something malignant in Muslim call to prayer. I am not accusing him of Islamophobia, but simply saying that such statements are rather culturally prejudiced. Yes, of course he's got the right to say such things, just like I have the right to comment on them in a negative way. 

It doesn't mention anything against religion or the muslims either. The connotations of his words are subjective. For some reason you think his statetements are culturally prejudiced, but it's your opinion (supported by what?). Mine is completely different. He doesn't develop his thinking very much, he simply states there's something malignant behind the call of muezzin. Any of us can interpret it as we feel like and that's what I have done because it's consistent with the ideas he shows in the different interviews by him I have read or listened, even with Weak Fantasy song, which seems to express the ideas about religon of the band.

Troy has the right to express his opinions openly and if he thinks there's something pernicious behind Islam I don't see why he can't say it. 

I'm sure it is completely unintentional and not the meaning you intended, but you do realize how scary this can sound to attentive ears?

If not, try this:

"Alfred Rosenberg has the right to express his opinions openly and if the thinks there's something pernicious behind Judaism, I don't see why he can't say it."

These very words have probably been uttered sometime in Germany in the 30s.

I think you are running off the rails. No, please, if someone compares Troy's words with nazism is because her/his mind is sick. Obviously a sick mind can relate anything to  nazism or to whaterver he/she wants. That's one of the functions of language, after all: manipulating the thought.

I think you are running off the rails. No, please, if someone compares Troy's words with nazism is because her/his mind is sick.

Actually I'm talking about your words. I know (well, I can only hope!) you meant something else, but I wanted to draw your attention at what you inadvertently ended up writing   :)

There's a line between free speech and respect. Free speech is not saying whatever you want to, it's the right to not being arrested by your words. That doesn't exime you of being a certifiable *****.

Not saying he was, but yeah, could measure his words a bit when he reffers to other people's lives. Him being a brexit suporter disappoints me a lot, that was a 100% xenophobic thing at its roots.

I kinda agree with GreatEye in that the bigger Troy's influence became in the spirit of the band, the more changes have seemed to happen in all their fronts. We know, for example, that he was key on Anette's dismissal (and the one who wrote the statement) and so on. He IS a big influence, that along with Tuomas' new personal state is really influencing the politics and art of the band. I wouldn't say he's bad, yet, his live collaborations are really great, but yeah, old Nightwish is deader by the day with Troy on board. Whether that's good or bad depends on you.

And that brings you to the question I posed on another thread. He's also a very positive person who has helped greatly with the climate of the band, which is now happier than ever and having a blast. That, again, influences their work, so, what will we choose? The disfunctional band that makes great, dark, sentimental music, or the happy family that makes decent to good folksy and impersonal music? I think they're totally mutually exclusive. It's hard to be dark when you're happy, and it's hard to use your art as escapism when your life is just great.

I kinda agree with GreatEye in that the bigger Troy's influence became in the spirit of the band, the more changes have seemed to happen in all their fronts.

Which IMHO is the greatest compliment that could be paid to Troy.

Posterity might go as far as saying that "Donockley saved Nightwish", much in the same way everybody hates Deris' guts 20 years later, but everybody acknowledges that the guy basically took a band that was falling apart and stitched it back together.

It would be very wrong to conflate a man's political beliefs and his ability to function as a band member, songwriter and player.

For example: Dave Mustaine or Rick Wakeman.

Mustaine is basically a far right extremist and a conspiracy theorist, but I'll gladly hear him playing for hours straight.

We know, for example, that he was key on Anette's dismissal (and the one who wrote the statement) and so on.

Do we?

Do you have a source for that?

That, again, influences their work, so, what will we choose? The disfunctional band that makes great, dark, sentimental music, or the happy family that makes decent to good folksy and impersonal music? I think they're totally mutually exclusive.

Are you asking me to choose between TPATP and The Carpenter there?

Because I'll take the latter, thank you very much, and be thankful for every "blah blah Tuomas has died" bit that my ears will be spared from :)

After all, according to their press kit, Nightwish was born a happy family around a campfire making folksy music indebted to Enya and Theatre of Tragedy, and some of us liked it that way :)

There's a line between free speech and respect. Free speech is not saying whatever you want to, it's the right to not being arrested by your words. That doesn't exime you of being a certifiable *****.

Not saying he was, but yeah, could measure his words a bit when he reffers to other people's lives. Him being a brexit suporter disappoints me a lot, that was a 100% xenophobic thing at its roots.

I kinda agree with GreatEye in that the bigger Troy's influence became in the spirit of the band, the more changes have seemed to happen in all their fronts. We know, for example, that he was key on Anette's dismissal (and the one who wrote the statement) and so on. He IS a big influence, that along with Tuomas' new personal state is really influencing the politics and art of the band. I wouldn't say he's bad, yet, his live collaborations are really great, but yeah, old Nightwish is deader by the day with Troy on board. Whether that's good or bad depends on you.

And that brings you to the question I posed on another thread. He's also a very positive person who has helped greatly with the climate of the band, which is now happier than ever and having a blast. That, again, influences their work, so, what will we choose? The disfunctional band that makes great, dark, sentimental music, or the happy family that makes decent to good folksy and impersonal music? I think they're totally mutually exclusive. It's hard to be dark when you're happy, and it's hard to use your art as escapism when your life is just great.

Again, I don't think Troy is directly responsible. Perhaps a bit, but if history has proven something is that Tuomas is not an easy guy to influence and manipulate. Otherwise, we would still have Sami, Tarja and Marcelo in the band. Yes, perhaps Troy introduced Tuomas to Dawkins, but I only find  all this change in lyrics a natural reaction to Tuomas current state in life. He's moved on, he's married, he's 40. He's not anymore the 23 year old guy who longed to be a child again, or the 33 year old guy who suffered a big depression. By now, he has achieved most of the goals in his life. Thing on his life look  stable, and I do think they will remain like it. It was only natural that the lyrics to EFMB would be more "mature" and less "childish".  But, I do belive that the core element in EFMB, which is to stand in  awe before the beauty of life, to "shudder before the beautiful", is in itself a bit innocent and childish, since only cbhildren are amazed by the world, as they are experimenting it for the first time. But I'm going off-topic here. I think Troy is not really to blame for the changes on NIghtwish. I think in the end, it was only natural. Of course Troy has had something to do, but I don't think he's the one responsible.

Otherwise, we would still have Sami, Tarja and Marcelo in the band.

Oh, yeah. I loved Marcelo's backing vocals. I think they were a fundamental and overlooked part of the sound of old Nightwish, before the symphonic turn. But what do you kids know, peh.

:P

(Kidding aside, I think that's pretty much correct.)

Again, I don't think Troy is directly responsible. Perhaps a bit, but if history has proven something is that Tuomas is not an easy guy to influence and manipulate. Otherwise, we would still have Sami, Tarja and Marcelo in the band. Yes, perhaps Troy introduced Tuomas to Dawkins, but I only find  all this change in lyrics a natural reaction to Tuomas current state in life. He's moved on, he's married, he's 40. He's not anymore the 23 year old guy who longed to be a child again, or the 33 year old guy who suffered a big depression. By now, he has achieved most of the goals in his life. Thing on his life look  stable, and I do think they will remain like it. It was only natural that the lyrics to EFMB would be more "mature" and less "childish".  But, I do belive that the core element in EFMB, which is to stand in  awe before the beauty of life, to "shudder before the beautiful", is in itself a bit innocent and childish, since only cbhildren are amazed by the world, as they are experimenting it for the first time. But I'm going off-topic here. I think Troy is not really to blame for the changes on NIghtwish. I think in the end, it was only natural. Of course Troy has had something to do, but I don't think he's the one responsible.

I can't wait for Tuomas entering mid-life crisis. So looking forward to all those lyrics about bimbo teenage girls from high school nearby and prostate problems. :P

I think that in general, Floor has had a much bigger impact on the good atmosphere between the band members by her common sense personality. Add to that that she's so much better than Anette and really a woman they can built on (touring/recording/easy going, but no nonsense) and you've got pretty much the two main reasons for the fine last 4 years.

I agree with the people, who say that Troy has had a big influence (behind the scenes) on Tuomas in a lot of ways and over all not a positive one. Haven't liked Troy's personalty and his ways from the beginning and always thought he should have stayed a guest member. And by Toutatis, I hope that the next album has a lot less of his instrumental participations. It's not that I don't appreciate some of his contibutions to the band (I really love Last of The Wilds for example), but enough is enough.

edited: 15-1-2017 

I agree with the people, who say that Troy has had a big influence (behind the screens) on Tuomas in a lot of ways and over all not a positive one. Haven't liked Troy's personalty and his ways from the beginning

Could you elaborate why?

I don't know much about the fellow.

@some_dude_on_the_interwebs

It's a 3-way elaboration from me, though a short one, because I will touch on certain issues, and about these there have been enough discussions on other threads and I think it's time to move on. It's ofcourse my personal opinion as well, don't forget it! It's based on what I've seen, heard and read about Troy the last 5 years. 

A) It's his demeanour in how he's changed his role in NW from a temporarily guest member to the guy he acts nowadays to be in the NW universe, by playing the old wise man from The Stone Age and we must all like his tricks and verbal spoutings about everyone and everything. I just don't buy it!

There's something very Rasputinical about him and he's very good at it, but I had a immediate intuitive resentment towards him from the beginning. I've mentioned that already to some forum members a few years ago. I just don't like him. I told you that it was personal. :yes:

B) The second reason is, that I was fully expecting a double album based on the greatest adventures of Scrooge McDuck after Imaginaerum, but instead we've got EFMB, generally based on the nonsense of that idiot Dawkins and Tuomas quacking to the rhythms of it. Talking about influences. As you may have noticed, I've got quite another view on those issues and I'm not talking music notes.

Even Floor seems to be infected a bit, because she's talking about things in a way that she never would have 4 years ago and I can't say that I'm impressed by her, certainly not when she continues to sing 'hallelujah' at the end of each year. If you've got principles, fine, but act accordingly so I would say, especially if you're that vocal about it!. Personally (here's that word again), I can't understand if you talk one way and sing the opposite, but hey, I'm not in the music business. :huh:   

C) Along his lyrical influences comes his musical influence as well. I don't mind folky metal, in fact I like it, but personally (yes, again), I think NW does not fit in that genre and also is not on its best doing so. A few songs here and there, fine, but Troy's folky participations has reach it peak on EFMB. Now it's time for something refreshingly new and different. If not, I think we might get an ode to the Pied Piper and even more people will get caught under his spell. :music:

P.S.

I've thought long and hard about how (and if) I should reply to your request (considering 'discussions' on other media threads), but this is the way it came out of me: sarcastically yes, but also honest and therefore quite personal.   

@some_dude_on_the_interwebs

Thanks.

I don't share a lot of these viewpoints, but I can now understand.

I just don't buy it! There's something very Rasputinical about him and he's very good at it, but I had a immediate intuitive resentment towards him from the beginning.

Troy is the new Marcelo! :P 

Yes, sometimes he kind of overdoes it.

I can see how he might sound like a pompous ass to somebody's ears - although I think he just has a sense of humour.

I was fully expecting a double album based on the greatest adventures of Scrooge McDuck

Yeah, that was probably a rather unrealistic expectation on your part? :P

after Imaginaerum, but instead we've got EFMB, generally based on the nonsense of that idiot Dawkins and Tuomas quacking to the rhythms of it.

I disagree there.

I find EFMB to be, lyrically, very neutral.

If you remove the words "Sagan" and "Eukaryote" you have the same stuff that a thousand 80s metal albums are made of.

That's the album in itself.

I do find the rest - i.e. the interviews, the press releases, hiring Dawkins to do voiceovers, et cetera, a tad goofy.

But hey, still beats "Tuomas has died".

Even Floor seems to be infected a bit, because she's talking about things in a way that she never would have 4 years ago

Possibly.

On the other hand, five years ago her career was arguably much less successful and, for all I know, she might have eventually had to retire and become a teacher like the lady from Sinergy, had the phone call from Nightwish not come.

I guess that's a much bigger reason for changing your attitude on life than meeting some Welsh guy with a beard?

C) Along his lyrical influences comes his musical influence as well. I don't mind folky metal, in fact I like it, but personally (yes, again), I think NW does not fit in that genre and also is not on its best doing so

I don't know man, it's down to tastes I guess.

I loathe "folk metal", like Korpiklaani, but I find EFMB was mostly devoid of that.

In fact, I found it a solid offering which has more hints of traditional prog rock than folk stuff.

Anyway, may I remind you Nightwish started as a folk metal outfit? :P