Nightwalker

Nightwish will start "Decades" World Tour in March 2018

745 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Ahasverus said:

Yeah it's time to accept the band's output has never been as consistently great since the split, and it was not Tarja's fault.

Very clearly, since their second worst offering has Tarja on it :P

2 hours ago, Marius said:

Common, it contains 10th Man Down, Gethsemane, Devil and even the Nightwish demo song. How does those songs not fit into the "underplayed" category? :P 

Nah, not enough for me :) I wanted Know Why Nightingale Sings,  Beauty and the Beast, Astral Romance, The Pharaoh, Crownless.. :(

2 hours ago, fatality said:

So, the pre-orders for this best-of compilation are up, and the cover has been revealed, as well as the tracklisting: Nightwish Shop Pre-order Link

Nice tracklist, although I was disappointed at the lack of some of my favorites.  I totally approve of 10th Man Down, The Kinslayer, and Elvenpath being on the album.

My biggest disappointment was no Ever Dream, which is my number one Nightwish song.  However, it does have Nemo which is my number two Nightwish song.  Only one song from my Nightwish top five is even on this album.  The other four in my top five being Ever Dream, Come Cover Me, Escapist, and Bless the Child.

As of now, we're not sure if the album will have the original vocals or if they will have re-recorded vocals by Floor.  I'm kind of hoping for Floor's vocals here.

13 minutes ago, Hyperspace said:

As of now, we're not sure if the album will have the original vocals or if they will have re-recorded vocals by Floor.  I'm kind of hoping for Floor's vocals here

Original vocals because Tuomas is allergic to remakes, for some reason.

I think they could have included some remakes as bonus tracks, specially the songs with new arrangements played by the London Symphony Orchestra that we'll never hear in HQ (Stargazers, Ever Dream, Wishmaster) or the ones Floors simply nailed and would be super safe, reaction wise (GLS, She is my sin).

49 minutes ago, some_dude_on_the_interwebs said:

Don't hold your breath.

There is no commercial reason to do a flat-ish mastering of a compilation album (I mean, compilations are listened casually)and it's also impractical since the mixes from different albums are bound to be sonically very different from each other, forcing the mastering engineer to give them more than a gentle nudge towards uniformity.

Bleh, let's pretend for a while that not everything is for commercial reasons... Either way, no matter how small the differences are, I've always loved comparing "before" and "after". Looking for those subtle differences, and decide which I like best. They wouldn't make them sound worse than the originals. (Seriously, right?) But I guess holding off on my excitement isn't bad advice after all. The real treat will be the new live versions.

Seems only the Vinyl editions are limited... Then there's no rush pre-ordering.

So many radio-friendly singles on disc 1, it's a bit disappointing. Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean and the demo song are cool surprises, though. Hope they play them live.

40 minutes ago, NeoGeorg said:

Bleh, let's pretend for a while that not everything is for commercial reasons...

I can pretend, but the suits at NB probably will find it harder to pretend that the market for a compilation album is fans and audiophiles rather than first-timers and casual listeners ;)

40 minutes ago, NeoGeorg said:

They wouldn't make them sound worse than the originals. (Seriously, right?) 

Well, if you are going to match two tracks from two sonically very different master tapes, at least one of them is going to take one for the team, if not both.
Particularly true if the sources are very different dynamically, as opposed to just spectrum or balance-wise, since that will require a nonlinear transformation (eq is, after all, information-preserving and always invertible given an ideal medium).

There is a mild possibility that we are positively surprised in case the mastering engineer is having a particularly good day and the original masters were total botch jobs.
Alas, I fear there is some heavy-handed compression and questionable eq choices printed on tape (or hard disk) in the first place anyway, so, again... don't get your hopes too high.

The best way to listen to this will probably be if and when somebody has the courtesy of doing a good quality taping a few shows from the audience.
Now that I'm looking forward to.

36 minutes ago, Stargazer_Voyager said:

So many radio-friendly singles on disc 1, it's a bit disappointing. Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean and the demo song are cool surprises, though. Hope they play them live.

30 bucks says "Nightwish" will be played over the PA from tape at the end of the gig.
You read it here first :P

2 hours ago, NeoGeorg said:

The thing that intrigues me most right now is how they're gonna do 10th Man Down and (more so) Devil And The Deep Dark Ocean. Floor + Marco? Floor + Marco + Troy? Floor + TROY? FLOOR + FLOOR??? Having Tapio Wilska's original vocals on playback would be boring, and I doubt he'll tour with them.

Also, The Carpenter. The singing in the original is so bad, but it makes me super happy, because I like these people. I think they will turn it into something great. Also, this has got to be Troy's time in the spotlight as a vocalist.

Don't worry guys, it's not double post, just the result of a merge from another redundant topic- Damián

10th Man Down was already played with Marco on the male vocals, so they will probably do the same

And probably the same will happen with Devil And The Deep Dark Ocean. We'll hear Troy on The Carpenter, probably. By the way, a real shame The Beauty of the Beast is not on the tracklist.:dwarf:

That's pretty cool! (10th Man Down.) Hadn't heard that one with Marco before. Don't know if I'm a fan though. Overall I feel Marco should just lay off the angry screaming vocals completely at this point, but Slaying The Dreamer being part of the setlist could say otherwise... It's his throat, lungs, voice and choice, of course. Has just sounded a bit strained in recent recordings, to me. Maybe with some growling back-up from Floor...? :rolleyes:

Gah, so many months before we hear the first new renditions! I wonder if Sacrament of Wilderness will be done with contemporary vocals? Can we finally not have the weird overlapping lyrics in the verses? Already done. They played it on DPP Tour.

Any new orchestration? Wouldn't be the first time.

Dead Boy's Poem has the potential to hit so hard.

And Sleeping Sun is STILL HERE.

How will I remain sane until November?

This will probably not happen, but I'd love to hear Élan be remixed for this compilation to make the guitars sound heavier. It's basically Celtic Nemo, so it really shouldn't be that hard to achieve a similar heaviness to the studio mix. They did it for the live versions.

And yes, Shudder should have been there instead of My Walden (and Sahara instead of I want My Tears Back). Those are pretty much my biggest gripes with the tracklist.

10 minutes ago, NeoGeorg said:

I wonder if Sacrament of Wilderness will be done with contemporary vocals?

I really think Anette's AOR tinged voice was a great fit for this song.

I'm thinking Floor will probably sing it much like she sings She Is My Sin.

30 minutes ago, Stargazer_Voyager said:

This is not the setlist.

Floor said somethin like "It’s such a trip down memory lane!!!! I live how the artwork became! And soon we will hit the road to play you these wonderful songs live!". Whether "these" means precisely all the songs from the compilation album or not, we don't really know so far. I hope it doesn't. Most of the CD1 is everything I wouldn't mind if they're not in the next tour setlist, for a couple of years. Always excluding TPATP, ofc :P

1 hour ago, some_dude_on_the_interwebs said:

30 bucks says "Nightwish" will be played over the PA from tape at the end of the gig.

I'm pretty sure this song will be part of the "acoustic set" moment of the concert.

And Floor's growlings backing Marco in Slaying The Dreamer and/or Devil would be very interesting too.

I remember someone from the band saying in an interview they will perform songs they haven't so far and all the songs included on the compilation have already been played, so I guess the setlist will be different... Also when it comes to bonuses and live tracks:

The band has deliberately decided not to include bonus tracks or unpublished songs on the record, “for the simple reason, that we don’t have any”, says composer Tuomas Holopainen. “The other thing that many people requested was that we should re-record some of the older stuff with Floor and Troy, but the answer to that is also a very clear ‘No’. The songs are what they are. They are absolutely perfect in their imperfection and reflect the era in which the band existed at that time. So I thought it would be a sacrilege to go and tinker with them afterwards.”

1 hour ago, NeoGeorg said:

That's pretty cool! (10th Man Down.) Hadn't heard that one with Marco before.

That's from the End Of Innocence bonus CD. Solid offering, if you ask me.

1 hour ago, NeoGeorg said:

How will I remain sane until November?

"Remain"? I thought we were all insane in here.

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

I really think Anette's AOR tinged voice was a great fit for this song.

Ewwwwwwwwwww, I had forgotten about this trainwreck of an execution from that trainwreck of a tour.
How can you guys like any of this?
The song has been reduced to Europe meets Falco, and I like Falco.
It's been nearly 10 years, and yet at 2:55 I felt once more the sudden urge to punch Holopainen in the balls with all my strength.

I mean, when Jordan Rudess adds his honky tonk piano moments in the middle of sentimental epics such as ACOS at least it's entertaining to watch, because, you know... he's Rudess.

I have no idea why Holopainen ever thought that shtick was a good idea, thankfully he gave it up with the Imaginaerum tour, IIRC.

Allow me to fix this thread by linking the one and only version.

I hope Floor sings Devil solo. Maybe they can change it a bit so there's no harsh and normal vocals at the same time. I don't think Marco will do it well. I'm not a huge fan of his 10th Man Down either.

Also a best hits compilation will obviously include Nemo and other singles. Even if they decided to play only rare songs on the tour, they wouldn't only include the Crownlesses and the Aways and 10th Man Downs on a best hits compilation, it would make no sense.

1 hour ago, some_dude_on_the_interwebs said:

Ewwwwwwwwwww, I had forgotten about this trainwreck of an execution from that trainwreck of a tour.

Hyperboles. Hyperboles everywhere.

I have to be honest here, I'm bitterly disappointed if TGSOE, Elan, My Walden, I Want My Tears Back and Storytime make it to the live setlist. Elan and My Walden are not good live songs (low energy), TGSOE is better but way too long.  IWMTB and Storytime I've had a serious overdose  on at this point. The problem is that apart from Storytime all of these songs include Troy and hence it's very much possible that they INDEED plan on playing these songs live once again, in order to get Troy as much stage time as possible. If this is the aim they should play Weak Fantasy, Last of the Wilds, Turn Loose the Mermaids, While Your Lips Are Still Red instead. 

But then again, seeing that they've included Slaying the Dreamer, End of All Hope, Devil, The Carpenter, Gethsemane, Dead Boy's Poem and 10th Man Down make me so wet.

So, mixed feelings at this point.

P.S.   As I already have mentioned before, Kai needs to tune his bass drum sound. The likes of End of All Hope, 10th Man Down and Slaying The Dreamer are not going to sound as good as they could, and should, if the kick drum sound lacks the oomph that Jukka's bass drum sound was famous for. 

18 minutes ago, gabby said:

P.S.   As I already have mentioned before, Kai needs to tune his bass drum sound.

Note: I have no experience as a drum tech, but am almost certain that the bass drum sound you hear is overheads + a triggered multisample.
"Tuning" that would amount to voicing the skin appropriately and spending some time in the Akai editor (or whatever it is that dem kids use these days ;) )

I have no qualms with it, though, really. I love how every bit of the man's kit sounds.

18 minutes ago, gabby said:

P.S.   As I already have mentioned before, Kai needs to tune his bass drum sound. The likes of End of All Hope, 10th Man Down and Slaying The Dreamer are not going to sound as good as they could, and should, if the kick drum sound lacks the oomph that Jukka's bass drum sound was famous for. 

I thought his snare and bass drum were mostly famous for sounding like a cardboard box :P

I don't understand how somebody can expect a compilation album and a tour based only on rare songs. It was obvious from the beginning that they would play some of their best known material peppered with several less known or old songs. But does anybody really think that the people who attend a NW concert would accept a whole show without Nemo, Storytime, Ghost Love Score, I Wish I Had an Angel etc? They can afford skipping some of them (She's My Sin, Ever Dream, Wishmaster...) but not all.  A concert setlist which includes The Carpenter, Devil or Nightwish (the song) is rather bold, I must say. It's not my ideal selection, but it's OK since 10th Man Down, Dead Boy's Poem, Kingslayer and Slaying the Dreamer are there. A shame they have forgotten Astral Romance or Beauty of the Beast, but we can't have all. On the other hand, it's clear that Troy's presence has a lot to do with the selection of My Walden,I Want My Tears Back, Nightwish or The Carpenter. Those songs  would have probably been taken out if Troy wasn't a member of the band. Anyway, in the concert I attended in Madrid, I Want My Tears Back was probaby the highest moment of the show; people really enjoyed it. And in Wembley (just take a look at Vehicle of Spirit) happened more or less the same.

I think that we are too quick to judge the live setlist based on the compilation. Sure a lot of these will probably be played but it can’t be all. Once again, it’s a best hits compilations, obviously it will include their biggest hits, whether they end up on the live setlist or not.

I think  the basic setlist will be the same as the tracklist of the compilation, at least at the beginning. Later on, as the tour goes on, they could include two or three new songs, but I don't think  that, in general terms, it will differ a lot from the CD.

I believe they will rotate the oldies on the setlist a lot. That way they can not only play a bigger variety of songs during the whole tour but also encourage people to go to multiple concerts.