Sign in to follow this  
Martin

Cellar Darling

32 posts in this topic

Cellar Darling is the new band of the formerly Eluveitie members Anna Murphy (vocals, hurdy-gurdy), Merlin Sutter (drums) and Ivo Henzi (guitars & bass) which was formed last year out of the spilt of Eluveitie. Cellar Darling just released their debut album "This Is The Sound", the limited digibook edition contains really great cover versions of "Mad World" (Tears For Fears) and "The Prophet's Song" (Queen), it's only strange that both Cellar Darling and Eluveitie are part of the same label Nuclear Blast....

Nevertheless I really like "This Is The Sound", here are some clips released on youtube:

Loved the album. Avalanche, The Hermit are my favourite ones right now, they sound very cool. I think Challenge is the only one that I feel a bit flat.

This is the sound is a great album. I wasn't really impressed when I listened to their singles but after a few times listening to the whole album I love it. It has something magical in it and I really like how the hurdy gurdy sounds here. My favourites are probably Avalanche, Six Days and Rebels but I really like all the songs. I'm glad to say I will be seeing them live with Lacuna Coil in November. Can;t wait!

I like the sound of Avalanche and The Hermit. What do you think of the video for Avalanche? Anna makes some strange faces during parts of the video...a couple of the faces make me laugh! One is between the 2:10 to 2:15 mark of the song.

oddanna.png

I really, really have enjoyed this album and I feel like I've fallen in love with the band, haha. 

Been obsessed with Rebels but I've played Avalanche incessantly too. 

I was very excited to find out they have their own band, but to be honest the few songs I've heard left me cold. It's pretty much what I disliked Eluveitie for on the last albums, A rose for Epona and The call of the mountains stuff. Anna has a lovely voice, but these tracks are too cheesy and ladidadi-ish for my taste. Are the rest of the songs very different from the singles on youtube? 

2 hours ago, angel_heart said:

I was very excited to find out they have their own band, but to be honest the few songs I've heard left me cold. It's pretty much what I disliked Eluveitie for on the last albums, A rose for Epona and The call of the mountains stuff. Anna has a lovely voice, but these tracks are too cheesy and ladidadi-ish for my taste. Are the rest of the songs very different from the singles on youtube? 

I would say that some of them are. Six days or Rebels for example are quite different from Avalanche. They have this mystical, soundtrackish atmosphere that I really like. I think you should give the whole album a spin. I was not expecting much either after the singles, but really enjoyed the whole thing.

Ok, now you made me curios. Mystical soundtrackish atmosphere does sound good :)

I'll give it a try, thanks!

I'd say so, they have some great material :)

I looooove This is the Sound and at the moment it's my 4th favourite album of the year :D <3

YES! They're ten times better than Cellar Darling. They may not be your cup of tea if you don't like grunts, but they do have two acoustic albums (Evocation I and II) that are fully worth listening if you're a fan of the genre. 

Oh, I'm very addicted to This Is The Sound since I have listened to it the first time when it came out. It has good chances to become my album of the year eventually. Yesterday evening I saw them live finally because they did the support for Delain. Their live show was good (though I would have loved to hear Redemption or Hedonia, they need to do a headliner show some time) and after the concert I managed to get a picture with Anna though I was nervous and red like a tomtao once again.

OUT NOW: Our cover of Queen’s “The Prophet’s Song”, available on all digital music services. Plus: our very first official rehearsal *space* video…

Just in time for our very first headline UK tour, we’ve decided to release our cover version of legendary Queen "The Prophet’s Song" digitally — a befitting tribute (we hope) to the incredible rock music legacy of Britain, and a mighty epic and mysterious tune!

Check it out on Spotify: http://spoti.fi/2py9ypL
...and Apple Music: https://apple.co/2FW8BSd
Or of course on the music service of your choice.

We can’t wait to play this song, and many others, live for you during our very first UK tour in just a few days!

31.03.2018 / Dublin, Ireland / On The Rox / http://bit.ly/2ojbW24
…with the amazing Diamond Black:
01.04.2018 / Glasgow, Scotland / Audio / http://bit.ly/2s4x40Y
03.04.2018 / Manchester, England / Rebellion / http://bit.ly/2GVITKe
05.04.2018 / London, England / Boston Music Rooms / http://bit.ly/2EKo5F0

Come join us!

We’ve had some proper laughs making a rehearsal *space* video for this song! Thanks to a bit of technology you can, for the very first time, see what we see when we’re “in the zone” (and perhaps not entirely sober). Merlin and Ivo kept zapping in and out of reality, though — presumably to the far reaches of alternate universes, on a quest for inspiration for our next album...

The beautiful cover art for the single was created by immensely talented Celtic Botan's Digital Art from Brazil! We shall buy her a Caipirinha or two when we head over there in May. Check out her other work at http://instagram.com/celticbotan!

Anna, Ivo & Merlin

Absolutely love this band ! And this is coming from someone who really doesn't like folk or folk metal. This is just the exception - I find it so, so, sooo much better than Eluveitie. Almost every song on their debut album is good. Sure, it's absolutely nothing mindblowingly complicated - they're all very direct, very simple, but that's what makes it efficient ! And I absolutely love Anna's voice - that's exactly the type of female voice I love : simple, pure, going straight to the note without wandering about it with endless vibratos or whatnot. (For those who remember my vivid hatred of Anette Olzon - actually, Anette's voice is exactly the kind of female voice I love. Just not hers, because she sucks :P ). My personal favourite : Rebels <3 

I saw them live once and was disappointed. You can tell they've been thrown on a big stage too fast just because of who they are - they can't handle big stages. It's all correct and spot-on musically but there's absolutely no show going on, they're kind of awkward. They should have gone through smaller stages first to train, in my opinion.

That being said, I'm excited to see what they come up with for the next album, because this simplistic (however great) formula is going to get old quite quickly.

On 7/24/2017 at 10:53 AM, angel_heart said:

Nope, that's exactly how they all are :P Maybe try "Rebels", it's my favourite and I find it a little different from the others, but expect to earthshattering differences.

Mod Edit (dragonprincess): Merged. Do not double post unless your previous post is older than a week. Thanks.

Edited by dragonprincess

As a long term Eluveitie fan, this Cellar Darling music does nothing for me. It's boring. I'd honestly rather listen to the poppy solo album "Cellar Darling" that Anna made some years ago.

A matter of taste. I'm also an Eluveitie fan but I love Cellar Darling. It was one of my favourite albums in the past year because it contains some really good songs like Black Moon, Avalanche and Starcrusher. I saw them live last year when they were supporting Delain on their Danse Macabre tour last autumn which was also very good. Nowadays they are working on their second album and I'm really curious about it and I hope I will catch them somewhere live again.

15 hours ago, NighttimeBird said:

As a long term Eluveitie fan, this Cellar Darling music does nothing for me. It's boring. I'd honestly rather listen to the poppy solo album "Cellar Darling" that Anna made some years ago.

Aaah, so finally I know where the curious band name comes from....must try to check this out, but currently unavailable on Amazon....