SwansongForARaven

Evanescence.

243 posts in this topic

Guess who are my favourite band? :P

Evanescence recently brought out their third album, 'Evanescence'. Anyone else heard it and what do you think?

(Personally I adore it, I think it's their best yet.)

I agree, it's definitely rising up as my favorite Ev album. It might just be because I can relate to the songs more, so I'm biased, but overall the music and the sound fit together really well and I feel like Evanescence is their most mature work to date. Origin was very rough. Fallen was great but it always felt a little phony to me and I don't know why. (Personally, I'm glad they dropped the 'trying-so-hard-to-be-dark' sound that Moody seems to like).

The Open Door seemed a lot more free than Fallen in terms of sound, but I still felt it was a little rough. Now that a lot of the band drama has faded out, I think something like their latest is natural -- something pretty much safe & similar to their previous work, but much more concrete, in that it actually sounds like an album and not a collection of random songs put together.

I wish there had been more tracks like Swimming Home and Secret Door, they're really unique next to everything else. And Lost In Paradise is one of their best songs yet.

Their new album was utterly stunning, loved it from the first listen. I absolutely can't pick a favourite song off it. I'd never thought much of Swimming Home until recently when I properly listened to it and now I love it =D .

I was not expecting an album to beat Fallen for my top spot, but "Evanescence" completely did.

While The Open Door really didn't impress me too much, their latest has been something I've been listening to pretty often lately and find a real step up from that. It's hard to say which is my favorite track on it, because I like quite a few of them.

Though I'm still a much bigger fan of their older sound before they got big, notably the ultra-rare Origin album. It's less heavy and feels more...real to me, I guess. Nothing against Fallen and forward, but that's how I first discovered them, and it's what made me fall in love with their music.

Oh, I LOVE Origin too ^^ . Especially "Lies" and "Away From Me". Much more experimental than their newer stuff, I think =) .

Origin is still considered rare? I was able to pick it up at a local Best Buy. I thought they reissued it once the band got popular? :wacko:

I'm a little 'meh' on Origin -- the songs that weren't reused on Fallen are the only that I really like (such as Away From Me, Lies, Fields of Innocence, Eternal).

Some of their old work is really different though. I really enjoyed them (meaning, the rare tracks, before and outside of Origin).

I love their new album! I saw them live earlier this month and felt that the new songs worked brilliantly live. Personally, I prefer it to The Open Door, which seemed a little rough in places. Fallen remains my favourite album, though, along with Origin.

My favorite band ever <3 Started listening to them when I was 13, now I'm 21, and still love them to death :)

I hope I'll be able to see them when they come back in Europe. It's been 5 years since I've seen them live, it's about time to see them again.

^I have hard time guessing who you are :D

Well, I've never been huge Evanescence fan but I loved ''Fallen'' back then, and really liked Amy's voice. Gave them a chance with second album but at first listening I didn't like it and since then I totally 'forgot' about Evanescence, let's say. I got interested in them again as they announced their come back so I decided to give second chance to TOD album. And this time I loved it, it's very different from Fallen but it has lot of experiments in music and that's why I like it. As for the new album, when I first heard it, I was listening to it constantly, songs are extremeley catchy, I think very easy to approach comparing to those from TOD but the minus of all that is that I got tired of the album pretty soon and now I prefer to listen to TOD. All in all, good band :)

^haha, yeah, I have the same signature with dates everywhere, and rammstein as avatar. really, you'd never guess :P

and I just have to say, I'm so happy that I had some time to listen to new Ev before Imaginaerum was released, 'cause I'd miss a masterpiece because of fangirling over Evanescence all the time. And I'd feel bad, because Nw is also my favorite band xD

^ The new Ev album totally eased the pain of waiting for Nightwish lol

I've been steadily listening to them for years, their music never grows old, for me.

I'd actually read quite a few negative reviews about Ev's new album, so my expectations weren't the highest... but I actually really liked it! It's pretty much been on repeat in my car since its release lol

Fave songs would have to be 'The Change' MHIB and Oceans :D

Origin is still considered rare? I was able to pick it up at a local Best Buy. I thought they reissued it once the band got popular? :wacko:

I'm a little 'meh' on Origin -- the songs that weren't reused on Fallen are the only that I really like (such as Away From Me, Lies, Fields of Innocence, Eternal).

Some of their old work is really different though. I really enjoyed them (meaning, the rare tracks, before and outside of Origin).

It wasn't. All the 'reissued' ones are fakes, unfortunately. :wacko: Only 2,500 were originally made.

I prefer their pre-Fallen material over anything else, but 'Evanescence' is still a good album. :)

I haven't really listened to Evanescence since early 2008, but I had Fallen and back when I was a naive young girl, they were the coolest thing ever.

The Open Door had some cool songs on it too, like "Lithium" and "Call me When You're Sober." I still like those two.

Nothing can beat Origin for me, even though it's not a 'real album'. Since Fallen has many songs from this, I also like Fallen of course :P The Open Door took away my interest for the band completely, but now with their latest self-titled album, they have been granted a comeback! I like it as well, though it can't beat Origin and Fallen for me.

I don't very like this band, they are ok, but...not my style) As for their last album, i think it's the best their album ever.

I love the new album, it's much more ballsier and much more energetic than their past stuff...but to me The Open Door will always be my #1, that's unless any future Ev album can top it lol

"Evanescence" is a fantastic album. However, I think "Fallen" and "Origin" are still on top for me.

My favourite work from them consists of The Open Door, a few songs from Fallen and just one track from the last album - Lost In Paradise.

It wasn't. All the 'reissued' ones are fakes, unfortunately. wacko.png Only 2,500 were originally made.

Ha, I have an original copy! Brag brag brag!

I had to do that. It's been a long time since I could make people jealous about that. :P

I love Origin, too. Not the album as a whole - there's so much that needs to be better, but after all, they were a small band with a clear lack of money back then :P . But honestly, I think I love every single "unreleased" song on there. Anywhere, Fields of Innocence, Where Will You Go, Away From Me...the only one I don't like so much is Even In Death.

On a sidenote, if anyone has a (legal, obviously - but the whole album is available for free download so I don't think this will be an issue) version of Anywhere that includes a correct ending, it would be lovely if you let me know. Mine somehow ends up either having the end cut off or have a different song in it, and I don't remember where I got it, it's been ages.

But I've been disappointed in the new album, quite a bit. I haven't given it many spins to be honest, but I was very excited because I really liked both singles, far more than I expected when I heard of the new album. But upon listening to the album I found that those were really the only good songs. There was not one single other song that stuck to me, unfortunately.

^snowhite, PM me or let me know on facebook. I have an original copy of Origin, so Anywhere should be intact.

After years of silent, their latest album Evanescence sounds adequate enough :wub:

Thanks crimrose, I will PM you.

I just wanted to say that I've spent the past 30 minutes watching videos of Broken (Seether feat. Amy Lee) and well, not that I didn't know if before, but damn that girl is...gorgeous. Gorgeous doesn't even begin to describe it. She's absolutely stunning. I'm not sure what it is, she doesn't have that typical beauty that say Tarja has, or any of that 'elegant' stuff going on, not even that 'power girl' a la Doro Pesch, but waaaahhh she can wear jeans and look like she's come out of miss universe. My god she is stunning. Seriously one of the most beautiful women in the music industry. Gah.

/superficial fangirling

I saw them in October for the first time and it was epic. Everyone was so pumped where I was (about ten feet from the stage).

I really like "Sick", "What You Want", & "Made of Stone" from the latest self-titled album ~ especially "Sick".