everdreamer1990

Delain

986 posts in this topic

Biography

Founding (2002-2006)

Delain was founded by Martijn Westerholt and Charlotte Wessels. Westerholt is the ex-keyboardist and brother of one of the founders of Within Temptation, Robert Westerholt. He left Within Temptation in 2001 when he suffered from Pfeiffer's disease. Wessels was, at that time, an unknown singer living near Westerholt. They started Delain, as a project involving many of Westerholt's friends in the Symphonic Metal Community, in 2002, and began recording the debut album in July 2005, after they had signed a contract with Roadrunner Records.

Lucidity (2006-2007)

For their first album Lucidity they invited several well known musicians: Marco Hietala from Nightwish and Tarot (bass, vocals), Liv Kristine from Leaves' Eyes (vocals), Ariën van Weesenbeek from ex-God Dethroned, Epica (drums), Ad Sluijter from ex-Epica (guitar), George Oosthoek (growling) and Guus Eikens, both former members of Orphanage, Sharon Den Adel from Within Temptation (vocals) and Jan Yrlund from Imperia (guitar).

Delain's first album Lucidity was to be released April 2006, but was postponed to the end of May and postponed again to August 21 before it was finally released on September 4. Samples of their music have been released on their website, and full versions of the songs Sleepwalker's Dream and The Gathering, as well as the music video for the song Frozen.[1] From Lucidity they released the singles Frozen, See Me In Shadow and The Gathering, the last one being a download-only single.

With the success of Lucidity, Delain turned into a touring band, rather than a project. The band then consisted of Martijn Westerholt (keyboard) and Charlotte Wessels (vocals), the only two members who appeared on the album. Furthermore, the band consisted of Rob van der Loo (bass), Ronald Landa (guitar) and Sander Zoer (drums).

April Rain (2008-2010)

At the end of 2007, Delain stated that they intended to release a second album in 2008, and began playing two new songs live, Stay Forever and Start Swimming. In November 2008, it was announced on their official website that the new album, April Rain, would be released on February 9 2009. Also, they played a new song on Dutch television called I'll Reach You. This turned out to be a different version of the song that would appear on the forthcoming album.

Since then, April Rain has been released[2] to coincide with foreign release dates. The first single from the album was the title track April Rain. The second single from this album was Stay Forever.

In February 2010 Delain announced they had started working on their third album, and that bassist Rob van der Loo would leave the band the same year due to time constraints.[3] In March Otto Schimmelpenninck van der Oije was announced as Rob's successor.[4]

I love Delain. If you've not heard of them you need to check them out. They're touring the UK again in May with their new album.

New information released today on the new album if you click here: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=168542

I'm a little unsure of the artwork but the rests sounds good.

I also am not sure about the album artwork, but i felt the same about the latest within temptation album (TU) but the tracks were still good.

Does anyone know if Marco is featuring in the new album? Love his songs on the other albums!

I think Marco is not featuring in the new album.

The artwork looks quite awful, but I don't care, the music is main thing. Their last album was good and I hope new is at least as good as April Rain is.

No, there's nothing about Marco being on the next album. I loved the first album the most due to the duets between Sharon & Marco & Liv & Marco.

Hmm. Not sure what to think about the cover art (can't say it really impresses me), but the concept of the album itself is interesting, at least. It's a theme I can relate to as well. Maybe it'll be one of those cases where "don't judge a book (or, in this case, album) by its cover" and it'll end up really good.

That said, I really like their first two albums. I got hooked on them through Pandora and Last.fm, and then knew I had to get both of them. I'm not sure which of them is my favorite, or which songs are my favorites. There are so many that I like that it's hard to choose.

I was waiting for someone to start this topic. post84125168357274.gif

I'm interested in hearing the new album, but the title makes me cringe. I'm not fond of the album cover, either.

When I first listened to Delain, I didn't really care for them, but their songs are catchy, and they grew on me. I'm not very fond of Charlotte's vocals, though.

I have both of their albums, and I prefer Lucidity over April Rain.

Yeah, I think Charlotte is the "weak link" in the band. She sounds much better live than on recordings though. I just think she sounds bored when she sings sometimes.

I'm really looking forward to We Are The Others. I can't say the album or songtitles are great butI do love the album cover as it's completely my sort of thing.

I'm also looking forward to seeing them live again in May. Seen them three times already and they haven't failed to impress me. :)

WOW Charlotte is amazing even though sometimes I feel she has kind of weakness in her won voice but she can made me forget all that with just a look from her eyes like in those great photos thanks a lot SM for sharing :clap:

I think the new cover album is great and deferent more then I excepted but the meaning behind we are the other title made fell in love with the album even without hearing any thing from it im truly cant white for it .

224593_251846338170623_156346401053951_898358_1061524_a.jpg

her Charlotte with headscarf in Egypt she look so sweet with it

184069_251846028170654_156346401053951_898348_2211098_n.jpg

198725_251846361503954_156346401053951_898359_6085606_n.jpg

184187_251844748170782_156346401053951_898313_2082532_n.jpg

and Yes Charlotte smokes :swoon:

check her official Facebook fanpage you can find a lot of great photos

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Charlotte-Wessels/156346401053951 :wub:

I don't really *dislike* the album cover art, but it seems that almost every single album I own has a chick on the front, haha:P

Still really looking forward to the new record.... although I hear --correct me if I'm wrong-- that they've been having trouble setting a concrete released date? That makes me a sad panda :(

From an interview with Sonic Cathedral:

Sonic Cathedral: We Are The Others is anticipated for a March 2012 release date. Any hints as to whether it will be the earlier or later part of the month?

Martijn: I’m afraid it will be much later even, because when we finished the album … in fact, the exact week we received the master … we heard that Warner Music didn’t want to release us because they just don’t get metal. They just don’t get it. They bought Roadrunner to get this metal DNA into their body, I would say. I have the feeling … I don’t know because I’m not in the organization itself … but I have the feeling that they are still searching for the right working method.

The Roadrunner company wants to release us, and there are several people within Roadrunner who are working to release us nonetheless. So actually, for us it’s a nightmare. You finish your album, and then you don’t know when the release is. But you know that fans are waiting for it. We were so satisfied with the album, and also our producer was satisfied. But some executive nut-case just doesn’t get it, and decides: “Well, let’s not release it.” Other people do get it, and right now, they are talking about how and when to release it. It’s a nightmare! We don’t have control over it, and at the moment, we can only wait.

What we are doing right now is what we always do as a band, which is to take initiative into our own hands. That means we are not going to wait for those people. We’re going to play those new songs, and we’re going to make everything ready so that, if they are done with their struggle, we can release immediately. We have a lot of support within this Roadrunner company -- people who are giving us tools to move forward with a single and the planning. I still have hope that we can release in the spring, but at the moment I’m just not sure. And that is very frustrating. You’re actually the first Delain outsider to whom I’m telling this, so it’s kind of a scoop. But yeah, I’d rather have had a more positive scoop for you.

So, yeah, I'm not even a huge fan of Delain, but as far as I'm concerned WMG can go to so much hell that it's not even funny. :)

e. And for some reason the quote is funny. Argh. <_<

Oh come on what nonsense is this, don't they have contracts for those things? And Delain has a solid fanbase, I don't see any risk in releasing it...but then I'm not a boss at WMG.

For ages the theory is that album isn't up to scratch and that they've been asked to tweak it but have refused to do so leading to all sorts of management changes and disagreements. They're now deflecting all the blame on the label and playing a "poor hard done by metalheads" which will garner support from fans and guardians of metal alike. In reality they've been pushing the Roadrunner bands and metal to high heaven (note how much vaster Within Temptation and Nightwish alone in the US have been pushed recently. Right down to the launch shows). They've been letting a lot more material out to various sources and clearly ARE supporting the genre. It strongly suggests that on this occasion it's a lot deeper than "label don't like rockerz".

Well maybe they'll get the label move they've been fighting for ;)

Ok correct me if I'm wrong, but the label is paying for studio costs, right? Then it kind of depends on whether the theory Jaime Lankyster threw in is true or not. If Delain refuses to tweak things the label wants tweaked, then that's on Delain IMO. If the label pays for the record costs then it is their right to demand changes if they want to. I know music is art and all that, but from the labels' perspective it's a product they gotta sell.

A lot of the time a label will pay out the costs for a lot of things including studio time, this means a lot of small bands can run up pretty big debts to them very easily. Now the solution would be to just "get it out" unless there's something very wrong. We've had line up and management changes with the band so it could all be linked in there. It certainly looks like a political minefield just opened up. The arguement of "they don't like metal, they don't get it" is certainly trying to cause dissention among the whole metal community (lets be honest, we're quick to be anti-corporation at the best of times!) but it's something two seconds can show us. We know it's not Warner not supporting "metal", what with the money they've thrown at other similar bands, of which Westerholt is fully aware of since his ex bandmates had loads of it!

Hopefully more will come out soon but right now there's so much myth being thrown around by their fans it'll be harder to get down to the bare bones.

I guess it will come out eventually, then we'll see if something is wrong with the album. I don't expect it to be all that different from April Rain and Lucidity, which is by no means a bad thing IMO since I think those are two very good albums. So this whole thing kind of surprises me.

saw them at progpower 2010...i thought Charlotte was fine. I mostly remember when Marco walked out for the duet, everybody went crazy!

Otto though, haha, another awesome bassists with epic hair!! YEAH!

For ages the theory is that album isn't up to scratch and that they've been asked to tweak it but have refused to do so leading to all sorts of management changes and disagreements. They're now deflecting all the blame on the label and playing a "poor hard done by metalheads" which will garner support from fans and guardians of metal alike. In reality they've been pushing the Roadrunner bands and metal to high heaven (note how much vaster Within Temptation and Nightwish alone in the US have been pushed recently. Right down to the launch shows). They've been letting a lot more material out to various sources and clearly ARE supporting the genre. It strongly suggests that on this occasion it's a lot deeper than "label don't like rockerz".

Well maybe they'll get the label move they've been fighting for ;)

Have you heard the album? How on earth do you even know that it if needs to be tweaked. I'm also going to remind you that well Nightwish is signed to Roadrunner it is only to put out the album they do no hold the rights to the music. If they refused to put out the new Nightwish album Nightwish would have been able to back out with all of the rights to there songs

RR can not let videos be showen on Youtube but they have no control over NW's videos and music so that was a really reallly bad exmaple to use. I'm going to side with Delain over anything the label has to say.

I have no idea what country you live in. But for me I'm really sick of major lables force feeding crap music in the USA on ever one.

I want the CD and ME MYSELF AND I will be the judge on how it is not some million dollar guy in a suit who wants to get a law passed limiting the music I can find online. I'm sorry but Warner music can go F themselves. Either put out the CD and let the fans be the judge or let Delain take there new CD to a different label. But this whole the lable knows better is joke and I'm damn sick of guys in suits telling me what is and what is not good.

The people on WMG do not know jack about what kind of music I like. All they know and care about is what group of teenie boopers and there mothers like and 99% of it is pure crap.

Easy, I think you misunderstood. Jaime Lankyster was not talking about personal taste. For us three the album may be great or garbage, but that's not the point. The people at Roadrunner have to concern themselves with what the majority of Delain fans are likely to think of the album, and in that respect there are probably criteria they have to check for, technical or artistic (my guess would be this is more a technical issue though, but I don't know). If some of those criteria don't match what they want it is not unreasonable to demand changes. The label has more experience with what sells and what doesn't so it's not a joke at all, Delain is the band, no argument there, but they are not experts on "what needs to be present in music so it sells." The label knows more about that.

Wouldn't you find it unfair to RR if the album would be brought out by another label? I doubt Delain could have paid recording costs out of their own pocket (if someone has a source to the contrary please let me know). So RR would have invested time and money...for nothing. Labels do not only consists of high up, rich executives. As any business they primarily consist of normal people who have to make a living. Those people are not responsible for fights between band and, if it's like that, some executives.

Right now all we have is the word of an obviously frustrated musician and as much as I respect him, I don't expect those words to be and objective assessment of the situation. I don't think he lies, but I don't think he's objective either.

I'm also going to remind you that well Nightwish is signed to Roadrunner it is only to put out the album they do no hold the rights to the music. If they refused to put out the new Nightwish album Nightwish would have been able to back out with all of the rights to there songs

Never go near business, this isn't true at all. When you're signed to a label they don't just say "you done now? Great release it!", in a lot of cases they pay for a large amount of the costs of matters such as recording, promotion and touring. When it comes to a release they need to be safe of the investment. Now while that sounds more mercenary they're not adverse to giving a band messages if they think sound quality isn't right. With Delain elements of this are backed up with changes to personnel and management. You get the stems and they don't sound right the label can say for something to be tweaked, from catching them live the new tracks sounded alright but live and record are a different matter.

Nightwish for example wouldn't be able to back out just because a label disagreed with something, they'd fix it or stew, if they leave they're in breach of contract and would be expected to but it out, Nightwish maybe could afford it but someone like Delain? Not a chance.

RR can not let videos be showen on Youtube but they have no control over NW's videos and music so that was a really reallly bad exmaple to use.

They have plenty of control over where the videos and music are shown. YouTube is harder to manage but they can try to enforce that if you're watching a NW video, you watch it through the official feed. For music playing, they're responsible for distributing the records, advertising releases, paying radio stations to play it (some recouped through royalties there) and financing tours.

NW for what it's worth are largely only related to US as far as the label so more would go through Nuclear Blast (though even there distribution is linked with WMG). It doesn't change however the support NW receive from that source has led to expanded growth which is a good comparison.

I'm going to side with Delain over anything the label has to say.

Sheep aren't cool... I'm prepared to look at both ways but the statements about "some suit not getting metal" clearly isn't true. For a start the same suit is the person who signed them and put them out in the first place. To say WMG "don't get metal" clearly isn't true. We've seen nothing but them getting behind and supporting the metal acts under the entire umbrella (not just the Roadrunner acquisition) with bands all over the shop getting pushed to heaven.

I'm sure there IS something going on there but right now, based on what caused this I am leaning towards the label, who again, signed Delain in the first place and have spent fortunes trying to get them somewhere.

I have no idea what country you live in. But for me I'm really sick of major lables force feeding crap music in the USA on ever one.

Oh indeed, there's some crap music. Thankfully a lot of them also do have good things. It's all subjective of course on what you call good but looking down bands signed to various labels there are very few I find not a single act I like. Same as I find unsigned bands I quite like, hopefully they'll be picked up but in terms I want preferably. For what it's worth... I'm sure you'll find plenty of people subjected to Delain but not fans, damn those labels!

I want the CD and ME MYSELF AND I will be the judge on how it is not some million dollar guy in a suit who wants to get a law passed limiting the music I can find online. I'm sorry but Warner music can go F themselves. Either put out the CD and let the fans be the judge or let Delain take there new CD to a different label. But this whole the lable knows better is joke and I'm damn sick of guys in suits telling me what is and what is not good.

That's fine, I would like to check it out but unless you're after pirated music (oh I'm only ***** over some guy in a suit!) you ARE going through a label with 99% of the music you'll find. Unless you happen to have lived in the same street as Charlotte Wessels it's almost certain you've only heard the band through Warner. Once Delain have the money together and can pay off all debt and the remainder of their contract they can put the album out themselves. Sooner or later we'll get something sorted out I'm sure.

All they know and care about is what group of teenie boopers and there mothers like and 99% of it is pure crap.

clearly not true, you know of this Wikipedia site I assume so I'm not going to post a list of every artist under any of the WMG umbrella labels so you can tell us what you like and not because what's crap is entirely subjective to one person, if all they cared about was that little group they'd never have signed so many acts in the first place.

Right now all we have is the word of an obviously frustrated musician and as much as I respect him, I don't expect those words to be and objective assessment of the situation. I don't think he lies, but I don't think he's objective either.

Sam captures where I'm trying to come from here. Martijn Westerholt is clearly frustrated and unhappy with SOMETHING, he's (foolishly IMHO) decided to come out and shout about suits and executives which as we've seen get's people riled and angry. What I'm trying to point out is that in reality there's a lot more going on than just this "OMG SUITS HATE METAL!" which is all we're reading at the moment. With what we know there's a dispute which is leading to a delay in the release, we know that there've been changes with line-up and management and a lot of this is when there are issues with a release and would suggest there are "things" that aren't right with the album. It's clearly deeper than the original frustrated statement and I'm going to try and highlight that and if that means me looking like a "corporate bootlicker" to people I don't care, it's not the way I think music should be but you're entitled to think what you want of me rightly or wrongly.

Hopefully soon we'll get the album released and can enjoy/worship/dismiss/burn as appropriate, for now though all we can do is wait while the clear issues between Westerholt and whomever is annoying him is sorted out. Protests however are more likely to be a hindrance, than a boon.

Never go near business, this isn't true at all. When you're signed to a label they don't just say "you done now? Great release it!", in a lot of cases they pay for a large amount of the costs of matters such as recording, promotion and touring. When it comes to a release they need to be safe of the investment. Now while that sounds more mercenary they're not adverse to giving a band messages if they think sound quality isn't right. With Delain elements of this are backed up with changes to personnel and management. You get the stems and they don't sound right the label can say for something to be tweaked, from catching them live the new tracks sounded alright but live and record are a different matter.

Wow are you really comparing a bands music to a real business? When it comes to music and movies it's for the people not some guy in a suit to say if they like it or not. Never ever compare a bands or singers music to a business. EPIC EPIC FAIL ON you're part.

Nightwish for example wouldn't be able to back out just because a label disagreed with something, they'd fix it or stew, if they leave they're in breach of contract and would be expected to but it out, Nightwish maybe could afford it but someone like Delain? Not a chance.

I will say it again. Nightwishs real label is Spinefarm Records. Road Runner has no say in what NW does with there music the do no hold the rights. If they refuesed to release the album the only ones in breach of contract is Road Runner. NW would have ever right to still put out there album through Spinefarm and Nuclear blast. There is a reason they signed to more then one label.

They have plenty of control over where the videos and music are shown. YouTube is harder to manage but they can try to enforce that if you're watching a NW video, you watch it through the official feed. For music playing, they're responsible for distributing the records, advertising releases, paying radio stations to play it (some recouped through royalties there) and financing tours.

Really now is that why when they took down there video of Amaranth it went right back up thanks to Spinefarm and Nuclearblast. Yeah RR really has a lot of control of NW and there videos WMG can take down as many of there music videos as they want and try to block them but Spinefarm and Nuclearblast have more say there then WMG and RR.

NW for what it's worth are largely only related to US as far as the label so more would go through Nuclear Blast (though even there distribution is linked with WMG). It doesn't change however the support NW receive from that source has led to expanded growth which is a good comparison.

And you just shot you're self in the foot. WMG is linked only to distribution if they refuse to put it out well you can still get it through NB and Spinefarm. WMG/RR really has very little say there becasue it's only distribution they are not NW's main lable. They never were and they never have been. They are a Spinefarm band that signed two different distribution deals. The lable the are really under is Spinefarm which is owned by Universal Music Group Spinefarm and UMG are the ones with NW that hold the rights to the music.

To say WMG "don't get metal" clearly isn't true. We've seen nothing but them getting behind and supporting the metal acts under the entire umbrella (not just the Roadrunner acquisition) with bands all over the shop getting pushed to heaven.

And I don't really care what they damn lable thinks it is not FOR THEM TO JUDGE WHAT I THINK SOUNDS GOOD. THEY DON'T KNOW JACK **** ABOUT ME. THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT I OR OTHER DELAIN FANS LIKE. WE WANT THE ALBUM WE THE DELAIN FANS WILL SAY IF WE LIKE IT OR NOT. WHAT PART OF THAT DO YOU NOT GET?

It's all subjective of course on what you call good

So it really is up to me do and other fans to say if we like it or not.

It's clearly deeper than the original frustrated statement and I'm going to try and highlight that and if that means me looking like a "corporate bootlicker" to people I don't care, it's not the way I think music should be but you're entitled to think what you want of me rightly or wrongly.

Yeah WMG won't even put out a single to let the fans hear and give a thumbs up or down. NO just don't give a release date and come up with a "Well it most not be very good." Yet the fans want to be the judge.