everdreamer1990

Delain

1,026 posts in this topic

Ahh I guess it´s the year of ugly album covers :unsure: This is awful!!!!

Well at least what I heard so far is quite decent! I like the catchy pop vibes!!

Decided to listen to "We Are The Others" yesterday and it was a great album :music:

The cover looks kinda weird, but the music is decent. However, IMHO, the album cover still looks better than the one of "April Rain", because it at least contains some artistic elements and originality. On the other hand, in "April Rain" just simply the image of Charlotte and the bandmates. Somewhat bringing your face on the cover shows the lack of ideas.

Probably so far, "Electricity" is the best song I've listened from that album, "Mother Machine" is a great choice for beginning the stream and the choir part in "We Are The Others" is really nice, as I've always loved choirs.

I've been rather addicted to the album and have listened to it a lot recently. I can't wait until my copy arrives from Amazon UK!

Charlotte's vocals have improved a lot this time around, which is great, because that was the one thing that really put me off about Delain in the past.

I still can't stand "Where is the Blood," but that's the only track that I absolutely dislike on the album.

I bought it this week aswell and I really really like it....

Somehow I cannot get into electricity and mother machine :/

I still love "We are the others" (Though I always have these strange images of "The Others" dancing around in front of the wal...l) and also "Are you done with me" "Babylon" and "Not Enough" Did not like "Where is the Blood" at the beginning but it kind of grew on me!

And for the cover, better the band then this ugly painting (Though I really like the birdie) :/

Agreed that the cover looks not so great, but it has some Indian-like elements which are really nice :)

"Are You Done With Me" reminds me of another song, but I have no idea what song it could possibly be. Is it just the common pop vocal-line in the chorus?

This! Same here, and I can't at at all put my finger on it, but it's definitely a rip-off of...something.

I (for some reason :P) listened to the album, and wow, Delain actually write RIFFS now? O.o (Cf. Mother Machine). I listened to the album halfway through with a little interest but nothing special, until I got to Are You Done With Me which I've just put on repeat since then, so I haven't listened to the rest yet :P .

wow, mother machine is realy cool, i have been listening to it + are you done with me constantly lately :P

For anybody in the UK that can get to this, please go. The festival is now in it's 5th year & this is the most high profile lineup they've had. My friend organised the whole thing & his band are playing.

Delain are headlining & Visions of Atlantis are playing their first UK show.

https://www.facebook.com/TheDamesofDarknessFestival

Delain is a band with so much potential, but they've never really tapped into it. Charlotte is getting better with each album, but the music itself has gone from rather generic symphonic metal to mainstream rock with symphonic elements. Songs of the same calibre as Design Your Universe by Epica would suit them perfectly. More gothic mixed with acoustic guitars and strings.

Reall? i don't know i always felt they are one of those bands that play more poppish metal, without that being bad. I can't really imagine them doing DYU like songs!

Anyway i like them but after a while i get kind of bored of listening to them! I do wanna listen to those new songs coming out in May and those different version of the WATO songs!

Lucidity was rather simple in terms of songwriting, but the sound was definitely symphonic metal that did not sound too out of place next to Mother Earth by Within Temptation or Consign to Oblivion by Epica. They started to sound more rock-ish with April Rain, but We Are the Others really made them sound like a mainstream rock band with symphonic elements. I'm not one of those "true metal" believers. There is definitely plenty of room for light weight metal albums with catchy music like Lucidity. Not every metal album needs to be on the heavy side. But Delain is not even light metal these days.

Within Temptation describe their own music as symphonic rock, and sometimes they cross over to metal and sometimes to pop - but there's always a certain punch to it and you can still tell that it's all made by the same band. For the most part, their use of orchestral scores make sense. They're not just there so that they can call themselves a "symphonic" band.

If Delain wants to be mainstream radio rock, that's fair game - but then they should probably just drop the orchestral stuff because it just doesn't add anything to their music any more. But like I said, I feel like they're wasting some of their potential. Martijn Westerholt is fully capable of writing orchestral scores that can be fused with rock or metal. But what they're doing now just doesn't work (even though they are all talented musicians), imo.

Lucidity was rather simple in terms of songwriting, but the sound was definitely symphonic metal that did not sound too out of place next to Mother Earth by Within Temptation or Consign to Oblivion by Epica. They started to sound more rock-ish with April Rain, but We Are the Others really made them sound like a mainstream rock band with symphonic elements. I'm not one of those "true metal" believers. There is definitely plenty of room for light weight metal albums with catchy music like Lucidity. Not every metal album needs to be on the heavy side. But Delain is not even light metal these days.

Within Temptation describe their own music as symphonic rock, and sometimes they cross over to metal and sometimes to pop - but there's always a certain punch to it and you can still tell that it's all made by the same band. For the most part, their use of orchestral scores make sense. They're not just there so that they can call themselves a "symphonic" band.

If Delain wants to be mainstream radio rock, that's fair game - but then they should probably just drop the orchestral stuff because it just doesn't add anything to their music any more. But like I said, I feel like they're wasting some of their potential. Martijn Westerholt is fully capable of writing orchestral scores that can be fused with rock or metal. But what they're doing now just doesn't work (even though they are all talented musicians), imo.

I do agree that the symphonic elements doesn't really bring anything to thei music nowadays! But still i don't know i can't really see them writing full on symphonic metal (or rock) music (of course not meaning that they can't) Of course they might surprise but thats what i believe right now!

To be clear i really like their music the way it is! I get bored of it sometimes but overall i'm quite happy with what they play right now!

That pretty much sums it up for me. I get bored when I listen to their new stuff. Most songs sound the same. I miss this sound:

It sounds like the guys of Nightwish played something off Within Temptation's Mother Earth. It has that fat and round sound that's common in Finnish metal, mixed with an orchestral score that reminds more of the Dutch symphonic metal bands.

I like that song and the whole Lucidity album but still i don't really consider it one of the albums with the classic symphonic metal/rock sound. The symphonic elements even on Lucidity seem kind of pretty basic to me. I can't imagine a NW or Epica album with that kind of symphonic sound! I can't describe it well but that's how it sounds to me :P

I think the sound is pretty close to that on Century Child production wise, but with a different flavour to the orchestral stuff. But yes, it's very basic - not that I think Delain ever tried to be as hardcore as some other bands in the genre. But I think Lucidity is a great entry level to the genre as a whole.

Yeah i have to agree! Lucidity is great! Especially since delain was only a project back then with only 2 permanent members!

I love Delain's recent album. I listened to it a couple of months ago, and We Are The Others probably tops my top 5 favorite albums of all time. I hope they continue in this direction. The last two albums were okay, but this one is simply amazing.

Maybe the next will be different from the first 3, we'll never know. But I really enjoy the new album. April Rain used to be my favorite before, but WATO changed my mind. The new album sounds more generic/basic or whatever, yes, but the Delain sound was still there, but not really that much.

The songs I really really like from Lucidity are "See me in shadow" then from "The Gathering" up to "Pristine". I never really get into "Shattered" or "SOAD" that much.

The second album was rock-ish, yes, I find it much complex from the first IMO. And, I still always listen to it though I really really like the new album.

Well, let's wait for the next album and let's see how will it sound like.

I'm not sure if everyone have seen this?

[media]

[/media]

A song written in 1 hour?