Sign in to follow this  
Essexboyinwales

Stephen King

4 posts in this topic

The Master of horror (and more), and without doubt my favourite auther of all time. He's not just a horror writer, he's a genius.

My Top 5:

11/22/63

The Stand

Needful Things

It

Lisey's Story

Currently reading End Of Watch, the third and final part of the Mercedes killer trilogy.

Any other fans out there?

Big fan here, he's one of my favourite authors. I'm currently in the process of reading The dark tower saga and so far I love how he just throws you in a huge world, without any explanation, detail or hand holding and you have to figure it out as you read along. I prefer his psychologically oriented novels to the horror oriented ones, more along the lines of The shinning, Dolores Clayborne and Under the dome, and there are some disturbing books I picked up and wasn't able to finish (I stopped at the baby sacrifice in Salem's Lot), but I still love the man nonetheless. 

King was my favorite author, when I was a kid. Tons of books and tons of memorable movies from Shining to Shawshank Redemption. From Dolores Claiborne to Running Man (though I have to say that macho-Arnie movie-version isn't even remotely at the same level with the book). From Apt Pupil to Stand By Me. So many great films are based on Kings work. 

Personally I'm more into his earlier books. Carrie, Shining, Dead Zone, Firestarter, Cujo, Misery. There are some books like Needful Things or It, which have an absolutely captivating build-up, which ends in an equally bad ending. I think King is a bit too productive, there are really good books in his bibliography, but there are too many of those bad ones as well. And like @angel_heart mentioned, he sometimes has a tendency of going too far with that disturbing stuff (that underage sex-scene between Bev and the boys in It, for example). 

But my all time favorite King-book would be Pet Sematary. A story about loss and sorrow and the forces that use that sorrow and feed from it. The ending of that book is still one of the most chilling ones I've read. King also keeps the book rather condensed and doesn't wonder around too much (like he sometimes does with all the side stuff in his plots). 

Other great novel is the Dead Zone. A story about a teacher, who falls into a coma and when he wakes up, he finds out he can see a persons future by touching him. And then he touches a guy running for president of the United States.There's just something chilling,  when it comes to that plot about a crazy bible salesman plowing his road towards the White House  armed with charisma and populistic rants. 

They are currently  filming another rendition of Pet Sematary. Looking forward for that one. In the meantime, some Ramones (we know how much King loves the band)

Currently reading Sleeping Beauties, written with his son (although it feels just like a classic SK) - really enjoying it so far: great characters, as well as an interesting storyline, which I can't predict going forward...

And for Christmas I finally got the whole Dark Tower set, so at some point I'll embark on that:cool: