AquilaTempestas

Northward

141 posts in this topic

I wouldn't really compare this to Paramore.  Doesn't have enough of a pop punk vibe to it, really.  Then again, Paramore themselves moved away from that kind of music over their last couple albums.  Anyway... :P

I don't think the song is bad.  It's fun and kind of energetic, but it's not really something I can imagine myself listening to all the time.  I'll still give the album a chance, of course.

I quite like this song.

And I do understand the reference to the Foo Fighters, as that's one of the thousands of pretty generic (all with the same style and sound) American bands that are around. After listening to a few of these bands, it becomes all one big blur of sound without much differences. It's all hardrock and pretty much based on the 70's and especially the 80's style.

Okay, the Foo Fighters are a bit above the general standard, but not much in my opinion.  I don't care for them much. But here, Floor makes the difference! Not sure if I can digest a whole album of this though. Some solid ballads would be nice, but I doubt they will be there.

Well, this goes straight to my alley. Energetic, straightforward, traditional (meaning in that 80's style) heavymetal/rock. Floor's voice fits like a glove for this kind of stuff. That chorus is indeed dangerously close to Pretender, though. 

Must check this one out. I like stuff like this. 

Sometimes I just want to sit down, lay back, enjoy and have fun w/ simple and catchy rock.:cool: With this song, what I wanted - I've got.:good: And now - repeat!:D

This is not pop punk at all.  Honestly, that would be a slight improvement.

5 hours ago, MeadowsOfHeaven said:

Sometimes I just want to sit down, lay back, enjoy and have fun w/ simple and catchy rock.:cool: With this song, what I wanted - I've got.:good: And now - repeat!:D

Very well said.

I dig it quite a bit. And to be fair, it's much closer to 80's hard rock than Foo Fighters (although yes, the chorus is very similar to Foo Fighters' The Pretender). Nevertheless, the guitar and vocal lines are heavily 80's inspired. Foo Fighters, on the other hand, has a much more post-grunge sound, with less emphasis on the guitar, straighter vocal lines and a scarcity of guitar solos, which can be great too. I love their album Wasting Light, though only truly like a few tracks from their other album. The rest sounds very meh to me.

Anyway, about the song, nothing groundbreaking, but it's very fun. I'm a sucker for hard rock, so there's that. I'd say it's superior to half of Halestorm's output, though I'd say they got a bit better with their last output. Floor, as always, is a beast and I love hearing her exploring different sides of her voice. Looking forward to the album.

If I may add something a bit off-topic, I'd love to hear a straight hard rock album from Sharon/WT. I know The Unforgiving is almost like that, and I absolutely love it, but I'm curious about what a Sharon album enterely focused on sharp riffs would sound like. I think her voice really lends to it. That's it. A bit ashamed I keep talking about WT. :P

This seems like a great album for workout session. And more workout music is always a good thing! Like it! 

Cool video with great energy between the two! :music:

image.thumb.png.4ffa77e811586e429a1e17eab55a4fed.png

Hard to believe this has been directed by the same guy who created this awkwardness:

EFMB-3.thumb.jpg.c07298f90c612ea36b9e6cd4a8d81519.jpg

This sounds pretty much exactly as I expected from the descriptions posted previously. I like it, particularly Floor's vocals - though I am biased, as aggressive, rocky voiced Floor is my favourite Floor and I think that style was underutilised on EFMB, so a whole album of pretty much that style was probably always going to get a thumbs up from me. The chorus definitely sounds more than slightly reminiscent of "The Pretender", so I'm not necessarily expecting the most musically original album.

I definitely would love to hear Floor sing aggressive like this on the next Nightwish album.

This rock-aggressive voice is also what I've wanted to hear more with "Slaying the Dreamer." As much as I adore her singing of it, I've felt like it was missing something I know she's capable of. I think it's this rock-aggressive voice I think we will hear a lot on this album, and hear even on some After Forever songs like "Face Your Demons." "Slaying the Dreamer" would sound amazing that way.

Anyway, more on topic. I hope they release this album on vinyl, and I am holding out for even a small tour next year. I know the chances are very slim, but, maybe Floor will want take a break from singing Nightwish songs live and give it a shot. Who knows. Either way, I will be counting down for the release of this album.

I have to say that I like it. At first listen, I thought it was a little bland or not for my taste.

But it gets better and better the more you listen to it. You can hear little details on the music in every listen which I really really like.

I like how Floor seems enjoying herself in the video - those make faces, and shining smiles. 

What are the odds the name "Northward" is not a reference to Floor's life since meeting her now-husband and joining Nightwish (whatever happened first...)?

But if they also wrote the title track back in 2008, that's some gooood foreshadowing!

It's nice to see Floor having so much fun and she sounds great as always, but the song itself is not my cup of tea. I mean it's not bad, but it just goes past my ear, if this wasn't Floor, I wouldn't look twice at it. 

Speaking of which, what do you know about ReVamp, is it still alive? 

1 hour ago, angel_heart said:

It's nice to see Floor having so much fun and she sounds great as always, but the song itself is not my cup of tea. I mean it's not bad, but it just goes past my ear, if this wasn't Floor, I wouldn't look twice at it. 

Speaking of which, what do you know about ReVamp, is it still alive? 

No, Revamp is history. Since 2014-15 I think. 

6 hours ago, Imagineer said:

No, Revamp is history. Since 2014-15 I think. 

2016 when all our hopes for a comeback were killed with the worst announcement ever.

Anyway, I love the song. I really like how catchy it is, and how easily you can link it to other songs like The Prentender. I wonder if she's trying to reach another audicence, a more popular one, outside the metal world where she's already known.

I think she wanted to do something different from After Forever. Well at the time the idea/project came about.

Now, I don't know? But it's a chance to try something different. I think that's something Floor needs, to explore where she can go musically. And I think she listens a lot to Skunk Anansie.

Get What You Give is now out. The intro reminds me of Muse for some reason. But then it changes. Still reminds me of something but I can’t get my head around it. Pretty cool though!

Heard new single and to be honest I like While love died more.. The chorus in new song is not so catchy to me... Not fast memorable...