AquilaTempestas

Northward

141 posts in this topic

Oh my God, why does the chorus for I Need reminds me of Patti Smith's Because the Night so much? They don't even sound alike, am I crazy? :P

I really like the album. It took a few spins (and I have also been listening to Amaranthe's new album a lot :P ) but it sounds great. I love Floor's voice in it and Viggo's writing and guitar playing is great. I'm not a huge fan of the album's ballads though, they sound a bit... basic? :P

My favourites are Paragon (with that monster of a chorus), Northward, I Need and Drifting Islands (I too was expecting a ballad, but was pleasantly surprised).

Is it bad if I say that I liked this album more than anything she has done in Nightwish? 

I'm totally obsessed with this album, loved every single song, it's refreshing to hear something like this from Floor. So bad this is just a project. 

I gave a listen to the album too, a superficial one to be honest, because it's not the type of music I often listen to, but I wanted to check it out. The first two songs were pretty cool, so that was a good start to make me want to listen more, but after that I found myself skipping through the songs... Big Boy and Timebomb sounded good, though. I love Floor's voice, but I am not a huge fan of this genre and neither of her aggressive singing when she uses it for more than an occasional addition - or of those kind of vocals in general, and which pretty much dominates this album, so for me this combination is not the kind of music I'd often come back to. It sounds pretty solid, though. 

2 hours ago, Imagineer said:

Oh my God, why does the chorus for I Need reminds me of Patti Smith's Because the Night so much? They don't even sound alike, am I crazy? :P

Whaat? :lol: I even went back to check why you'd say that, but nope, I don't hear it. But now I won't be able to get that chorus out of my head for a while, so thanks for that! :laugh:

1 hour ago, Sophia said:

I gave a listen to the album too, a superficial one to be honest, because it's not the type of music I often listen to, but I wanted to check it out. The first two songs were pretty cool, so that was a good start to make me want to listen more, but after that I found myself skipping through the songs... Big Boy and Timebomb sounded good, though. I love Floor's voice, but I am not a huge fan of this genre and neither of her aggressive singing when she uses it for more than an occasional addition - or of those kind of vocals in general, and which pretty much dominates this album, so for me this combination is not the kind of music I'd often come back to. It sounds pretty solid, though. 

My point! :D

I have been listening to this album all weekend. I love the variety, and I love hearing Floor sing on something very different from her normal material across her entire career. I love bands like Halestorm, so, this album is right up my ally. I keep trying to recommend it to other Halestorm fans, haha.

And I really want to hear her sing like this on some NW songs on the upcoming album. I also want to hear her sing like she did with ReVamp and After Forever too. So, mixing it up is good.

What I think I love most is simply that this is yet another genre of rock that Floor has ventured into and shown she can do it. At this point, I would probably buy a pop album, or classical album by her because I'm sure it would also be awesome, lol. And now I kind of want Floor to do a classical album next :o.

On 10/22/2018 at 2:08 PM, Imagineer said:

Oh my God, why does the chorus for I Need reminds me of Patti Smith's Because the Night so much? They don't even sound alike, am I crazy?

To me it sounds like the chorus of Hypnotize by SOAD. I am crazy, but it did remind me of it.

Edit: ERR, wrong song. I meant Bridle Passion.

I got to admit. I didn't like the album on my first few listens. None of the songs really got to me other than the singles.

But then something happened. The album started to click and now I love every song.

Can someone post a next post please, because I've got an pretty long interview with Floor about Northward (still need to translate it) on my hands. Been a bit thick not to post THAT first ofcourse.........

Kiitos Whitenoise.

Interview about NORTHWARD with Floor for Metalfan.nl. Interviewer is Jeffrey.

Floor Jansen hasn't exactly been sitting on her butt during Nightwish's sabbatical year.  Between (and probably during - hunebedbouwer) her taking care of her little daughter Freya, she's been quite busy with several projects, one of them being Northward.

Already for a long time, Floor wanted to make a rock album and now she has done so. On October the 19th, such an album will be released under the name of Northward. We did talk with Floor about the lyrics, the special moments of the album for her and ofcourse the collaboration with fellow Northwardian Jørn Viggo Lofstad. He is known for the band Jorn & Pagan's mind. Weirdly enough or better said - the intention to do something together - their plans and songs had been gathering dust for 10 years already.

Q = Jeffrey from metalfan.nl

Q : Congratulations on your brand new Northward album! I heard that,  because of some other priorities, these songs have been laying on the shelves for quite some time. How did Jørn react when you contacted him in 2016 to say that you still wanted the songs and album?

Floor : Well, he had the same idea about this project as I did. He also found that it would be a shame not to finish the album. Both of us hadn't listened to the songs anymore since forever, so the first thing we did was indeed listening to the music again. That all happened when Nightwish was performing in his hometown (in Norway) in 2016. We met there and from the start he was very positive about the whole idea again.

Q : How did it feel to meet Jørn again after all these years?

Floor : Well, it wasn't that we hadn't seen each other. We still met at several festivals. You know, the whole music scene in our genre is not that big, so you do meet people quite often. But ofcourse, to revitalise our mutual interest in our project, we needed to have a good talk about it.

Q : How did it feel to play and sing those songs again after so many years?

Floor : We only did that in the studio, but the whole thing of listening to the music and to get into the groove again was quite fun. Also quite refreshing, because you do forget all those details, which you had written down at that time. And because of that, you do start with a fresh and objective view on things. That was really good fun! Especially, because we still felt genuinely good about what we had done. Totally not like: 'well, if we going to make this work, we need loads of sessions to get everything up to date. Not at all, thankfully!

Naturally we did change a few things, but nothing major. One of the songs got a new chorus in the melody line of singing and we changed the lyrics of the title song completely. But that was, because we hadn't finished that song at the time. Most of the songs though were ready for cutting and pasting.  

Q : Jørn did call in some help from his own band's drummer and other artists for the recording.....

F : Indeed. By the way, the drum parts were already recorded in 2009. Now, Pagan's Mind drummer and someone I don't know, did do the drumming parts. Mostly, because there are several and different to different songs mindsets on the album. They do both have a different working style.

We then both made a list of people we would like to collaborate with. Ofcourse that is a question of people you do feel comfortable with and also who is available. Morty Black from TNT was already our mutual favourite option for the base guitar parts 10 years ago, so it was very satisfying that he still was available to play those parts. The keyboardenist didn't have to do a lot, just refreshing the piano parts a bit on 1 song. The rest of the album is restricted to guitar, base and drums like we wanted. Back to basics.

Q : That would have been my next question........with what intent did you start this project? Which direction?

Floor : I wanted to make a rock album. Full stop. At that time After Forever did have a year long break, but I didn't want to do nothing. And I wanted to do something els, musically wise. I wanted to explore the genre of rock. With that in my mind, I met Jørn in 2007 at the ProgRock Festival.  Which has nothing to do with rock, by the way. Coincidentally we played 4 songs together in an Allstarband and I was pretty impressed with his playing. Next thing I heard that he played in Jørn Lande and I was a big fan of that music, so it came all together at the right time. Having those roch ideas in my head, I asked him if he would like to do something together and thankfully he said 'yes'.

Ofcourse we still had to get each other on a musical and personal level for our musical influences were very different. And I was the whole rock scene was pretty new to me........I mean, I knew some cool rock bands, but that was about it.

Q : Which bands are you talking about? Did you know those from your family?

Floor: No, not really specific bands. Jørn let me listen to all kinds of bands, so I got to listen to all kind of music and that was really fun. It's also one of the reasons that this album sounds so diverse. It didn't have to sound like the Foo Fighters, Alter Bridge or Skunk Anansie, which I knew already. So, we also used some influences of classic rock bands, which might not be very well knownin general, but made really good albums. Therefore our diverse album. As long as it rocks!!

Q : It sure is a diverse album. Not only rocking songs, but also songs like '11' and 'Paragon'........

Floor : Yep, that's right. Although that '11' title isn't correct. It should have been 'Northward'. A bit of a mess up of the PR-department. I also get a lot of questions by interviewers about Jacob Hansen, who is assumed to be the producer, although he only did the mix and mastering. We did produce the album ourselves. There are more faults, unfortunately. On Spotify, they placed the titles with the wrong artists. Really  embarrassing,  I'd say! Neglecting those simply is something to be ashamed of! It happens, because they have far too much to do, so mistakes happen! But it's also our own fault, because we didn't check it properly. Anyway, everybody makes mistakes and I am happy that I could set the facts right.

Q : What was it like for you to use all your different singing techniques again?

Floor :  From the start 10 years ago, that was already a big wish for me. Before, I could never discover or use that rough edge, but that slowly grew during the years.  I did continue that discovery with Revamp more than ever. I wanted to see how far I could go and if it would suit me. With Revamp I really wanted to experement with more extreme and tempestuous music. 

I got those opportunities also with Nightwish. To show all kinds of different aspects of my singing abillities. Also that rocking edge once in a while. Not that explicit like in this Northward project, but I have certainly learned a lot more during the last 10 years. Especially if you see it in the light what I had in my mind 10 years ago. And I'm glad that this intermission of time happened, because I've done now it much better than I could have done it at that time. It suits me, it's a part of me now. I really love it to sing rock with a lot of variation.

Q : But ofcourse, in this project you got all the freedom you want to experience all kind of styles.......

Floor : I've got that with Nightwish as well, but it's more regulated there. With Nightwish the major lines are set, but it's up to you how you want to interprete them. I love that also, because it's quite an musical and creative process. I've been very busy with that on our last album and it felt very good to do.

The difference with Northward is, that I've written all lyrics myself, even if these were written 10 years ago. On this record I could go full speed on my own and that felt great.

Q: You can hear that freedom and fun on this album in songs like 'While love died', 'I need' and 'Let me out', but on the other hand there are also songs with much deeper meanings.....

Floor : Well, ofcourse you can write songs about seks, tits, beer, but that simplistic approach doesn't work for me. 'I need' was fun to write, but that's one (she said literally 'with a huge bag of salt' - hunebedbouwer) is not exactly food for psychiatrists.  'Big boy' belongs a bit in the same category, but has certainly a deeper meaning. It's a kind of funny coincidence that I did release that song now, because of the whole #metoo business. Fortunately, I have experience that myself. But still, I'm a woman in a man's world and that is what the song is about.

Q : Talking about deeper meanings. What is Northward about?

Floor : Literally about my journey northwards, geographically speaking! I landed by accident, via America, in Norway in 2008. The majority of the songs are written in Norway, together with a Norwegian. Then I joined Nightwish in 2012 and met my husband, who is Swedish,  in 2014 and I do live now in Sweden. Those are all coincidental Nordic facts.

When I thought about a good title for the album, I found it hard to reprsent the album's title by one of the song titles. None of them had the right feel connection. When I re-wrote 'Northward', I did like the connection of all my Nordic emotions and the whole journey that lead to where I am now. Also, all the rewards that I got from that journey and the things I found with my husband are conected in that titles. So Northward it was.    

Q : It is a fine way to finish the album with then?

Floor : yes, it is the overriding conclusion of that journey.

Q : On this record there are some more special moments. Like 'Drifting islands' for example, which is a duet with your sister Irene.....

Floor : Yes, very cool! Although I hadn't her in my mind when I wrote that song. I thought more along the lines of the the Alter Bridge singer. He, Myles Kennedy, was interested, but due to his ever growing career, it was almost impossible to do it and we didn't want to go through eternal lenghts to make it happen. On the other hand, many fans have been asking me to record a studio duet with Irene instead of a live one.

And it felt better in the end, so we did it. I was able to do the recording myself as well. Even brought the microphone to the Netherlands. It was special, the more so, because we are both mothers with a young child. The recording had to happen between nursing the babies and taking them to bed! Definitely proper rock&roll.....hahahaha.    

Q : Are there more special songs with a specific story on the album?

Floor :  Well, basically all have, but I will mention 'Bridal passion' especially. It shines, because of its simplicity. However, Jørn and I wondered if we would do the record justice with an acoustic song, using only a guitar and vocals, lasting only a few minutes. On a rock album..... in the end we considered  this album to be a kind of puzzle and this piece suited us, so on it went.

Q : I expected 'Storm in a glass' to be released as a single, but it happened to be 'get what you give'.

Floor : 'Storm in a glass' will be the third single. It will be accompanied by a lyric video.

Q : Those lyrics are already 10 years old. How did it feel to see them again?

Floor : It was one of the things I was most curious about. Had I written stuff that were so out of date to work with anymore? Strangely enough, apart from the last song, it didn't! I still found them suitable enough and more or less timeless. Even if the lyrics were written in another time of my life, they still were relevant enough to use them. They still are representative of who I am and what I think now. I must tell you that I was really happy that it turned out that way.

Q : I can imagine that it felt good not to have to re-write all those lyrics again?  

Floor : It's nice, but when it was needed, I was more than happy to do so. And like I've said before, it still felt very suitable to that period and what I feel now. I'd say they are more or less timeless for me. Also, it doesn't matter that much what I meant with them as peoplew so often give their interpretation to the lyrics. You, as listener, Always spin the lyrics in the way you feel about/read them. It's very important for me that my lyrics are not only understood by me.

Q: Will this be a one-off project or are there following up plans?

Floor : In principle, it is a one off. But we received so many enthousiastic reactions. Many more than I ever expected. Not that I expected that people/fans wouldn't like it, but the rections to the first single were already so many and positive. I've spoken to many journalists and I'm seasoned enough to know if reactions are genuinely meant or not. So far, I felt a sincere interest for this project.

Q : For many people it is a kind of discovery. They are not used to this side of you....

Floor : There have been people that honestly thought they wouldn't be interested in the music, but admit now that they discovered some 'new music'. I really like to hear that. it feels good. It also stimulates to perform it live a few times. Essentially not happening, I've said from the start.  And because my whole agenda is basically set for the coming years with Nightwish, I really can't see many possibillities to do it. But in this case I'll say never NEVER.

Q: And both of you are quite busy with other things?

Floor : Exactly! Jørn has a busy schedule and being part of Nightwish is not exactly a relaxed job either. I also participated recently in Metal Alliance. You can note from me than after all this activity, you won't hear from me that much the coming time.

Q : But you're not really someone that can sit still for long, are you? Even during this sabbatical year, you were quite a busy bee?

Floor : I planned not to tour for a year or to make an album. Producing offspring was kind of planned, but you never know if that works out. However, that part worked out fine, but I haven't really been performing. The gig with Ayreon was the first stuff I did after Freya was born. That was hard enough. I mean, the whole thing was for a dvd, so you had to be in form. You have to remember the songs and it is again different than what you're used to. After that, the Northward project came along and I did Raskasta Joulua. Only two days before, they told me they wanted to record the gig! 

Q : That was in time (hahaha).......

Floor : Well, you can say that again. It is no mean shit, I can tell you. We were talking about it and then.....boing boing, it had to be recorded!! Metal Alliance came up with another song, but there were no lyrics yet and no vocal lines!!!! It only was released just now. Last year's October, November and December was hectic and a lot happened at the same time. I had not made any preparations for the upcoming Nightwish at all!!! Standing in the practice studio in January, I kind of thought I had deserved a long holiday....hahahaha. So yes, I did more than I should have, because I do like a lot of things and that also happens to be my own undoingAnd  sometimes.

Q : And you also got a little daughter to take care of nowadays? You need really to say NO now and then.....

Floor : Exactly! Being a mother isn't a small thing! I want to spend a lot of time with her, that's for sure. I really need to take that in consideration for the future, despite liking a lot of other stuff. Also, we just bought a fantastic house in the middle of nowhere where I would like to play the farmer's wife.........(hihihi - Dutch humour - hunebedbouwer). 

Q : On the 26th of November you will perform at the Ziggo dome. That's quite an achievement. Two years ago you played twice in a sold out HMH (Heineken Music Hall) .....

Floor : I do consider that a great honour! Before I joined Nightwish, the band played in the HNH, which wasn't sold out. Two years It did sell out and another concert was added and it also sold out!! Now on to the Ziggo dome. A very nice upward trend and something of which I'm ridiculously proud as a Dutch singer.  I don't want to take the honour for achieving that, but the fact that we are still growing and that I'm a part of that makes me feel cool as a cucumber (translater's expression freedom - hunebedbouwer).   

On 10/26/2018 at 12:05 AM, AquilaTempestas said:

I got to admit. I didn't like the album on my first few listens. None of the songs really got to me other than the singles.

But then something happened. The album started to click and now I love every song.

Bit of a random comment maybe, but this happens to me with pretty much every album ever. The first 2 listens are always "meh", and only after that it starts to grow on me. And then sometimes after 5 listens I'll hold the opinion that it's the best thing ever, and I don't understand why I didn't like it initially.

I'm late for the party, obviously. Whatever.

Pretty solid hard rock, with great guitar tune (anybody surprised? Jorn Viggo is DA MAN) and some the dirtiest vocal lines that ever came from Floor's throat (Big Boy, boy!). Also I'm not sure if it really can be rated just as hard rock. Paragon, Drifting Islands, Timebomb don't quite fit in the category and sound more as good ol' heavy metal. 

Also who else thinks Paragon would have fitted perfectly in Masterplan's debut? I really was waiting for Jorn Lande to appear out of nowhere and yell "Just step into the liiiiiighht!"

Highlights: Paragon, Drifting Islands (thank you guys! Jansen sisters dueting, or better say dueling, was something I've been waiting for long time), Timebomb, Big Boy (Floor channeling her inner Skin and Jorn Viggo wizarding on that guitar, meow!) and I Need.

Now as I think of it, this one should have made it in the list Album of the year.

I'm so excited to finally listen to this album, but patient enough to wait till my birthday to purchase and savor it then, money is tight for me. I want to support her rather than listen to it for free as always. I want to get into it  old school with a  physical cd jewel case and all. I am so depressed not being able to see the the previous NW tour, this will more than make up for that. Floor means a great deal to me in many ways , so it is all about showing honor and respect for me.

On 11/1/2018 at 2:38 PM, NighttimeBird said:

Bit of a random comment maybe, but this happens to me with pretty much every album ever. The first 2 listens are always "meh", and only after that it starts to grow on me. And then sometimes after 5 listens I'll hold the opinion that it's the best thing ever, and I don't understand why I didn't like it initially.

Yeah it's weird. My first few listens I couldn't find anything that stood out to me.

Then one day on a trip to uni, it finally clicked out of nowhere. 

I guess I didn't like it at first because I wasn't used to her voice outside of Nightwish, ReVamp and After Forever. To hear her sing in a different way was unsettling haha.

Edit: Double posted - Serena