NeoGeorg

Decades (The Album)

199 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, some_dude_on_the_interwebs said:

I'm sorry to sound like a broken record but I have played The Carpenter and Elvenpath more times today than in the past 20 years.

I'm stuck on a loop.

I never liked the Carpenter really, but I’m surprisingly warming up to it with the Decades version. The drums on this are just pure joy :D

5 minutes ago, Ahasverus said:

Most songs might be bland as crackers, but they all sound clear and deep. 

They sound bland as crackers only because we have no choice but to compare them with other Nightwish songs that have suffered as victims of loudness war. ;) 

Random thought because I am listening to this song at the moment: The strings bridge in Gethsemane. I am hearing parts I never heard before. :music:

1 minute ago, fatality said:

I am hearing parts I never heard before

Have you heard the backing vocals on the chorus of I Want My Tears Back. I swear I’ve never noticed them before at all :D

5 minutes ago, Adrn_2810 said:

Have you heard the backing vocals on the chorus of I Want My Tears Back. I swear I’ve never noticed them before at all :D

I am not there yet. I had a lot of things to do these last days and I was unable to dedicate to this properly (as a real fan should!), but the weekend is ahead of me! :D 

The first one I listened to was End of All Hope, of course. That second bridge part catches me by surprise every time! 

EDIT: Okay, I've listened to I Want My Tears Back. OMG. Not just chorus, but in the verses as well! Everything sounds much more polished, like everything is in its place! Also, the "banjo" bridge part - you can distinguish all the individual instruments! This is the biggest surprise remaster-wise for now.

I've pre-ordered my copy a few months ago and it didn't arrive today! :(((( I'm broken although I know all songs by heart :cry:

27 minutes ago, fatality said:

I am hearing parts I never heard before. :music:

That might be down to the fact that thte mixes might be different ones: as it emerged, Nightwish apparently can't afford a Dymo and/or label their files as "foo.wav" "bar.wav", "fukkk.wav" and "ineedacoffee.wav". Just like the rest of us.

But, as it stand I never noticed what the guitar does at around 03:45 before.

And the solo, let's talk about the solo at 5 minutes and something.
That's actually solid guitar playing, sounded like a bunch of amp noise on the record.

21 minutes ago, fatality said:

This is the biggest surprise remaster-wise for now.

Have you noticed how the drums and electric instruments kick in in Dead Boy at circa 1:20 and again the fill at 2:23?
It hits me right in the gut and it catches me by surprise every time, being used to a wall of white noise there.

I litearlly mean that I feel the hit in my belly and it gets my attention while I'm reading papers.

Lord, I feel stupid for fanboying so much over this, but... 

12 minutes ago, some_dude_on_the_interwebs said:

Lord, I feel stupid for fanboying so much over this, but... 

You're one of us. You've always been. 

29 minutes ago, some_dude_on_the_interwebs said:

That might be down to the fact that thte mixes might be different ones

I was reaching the same conclusion by he end of the song. :giggle:

32 minutes ago, some_dude_on_the_interwebs said:

Have you noticed how the drums and electric instruments kick in in Dead Boy at circa 1:20 and again the fill at 2:23?
It hits me right in the gut and it catches me by surprise every time, being used to a wall of white noise there.

I most certainly did! Feels like a different song at certain moments.

But what I find most interesting in all this (funny even) is that the same person also mastered the original versions of these songs, especially those on Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum that are considered as worst in this regard. How do we explain this?

Just now, fatality said:

But what I find most interesting in all this (funny even) is that the same person also mastered the original versions of these songs, especially those on Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum that are considered as worst in this regard. How do we explain this?

Well, a mastering engineer is a professional.

If the label and artist orders a brickwalled master to "be competitive with comtemporary releases", or tells the mastering engineer to "make it sound like Evanescence", he will oblige.

Moreover, as I think I have said elsewhere, there are perfectly cromulent reasons to brickwall the shit out of an album, namely, to meet the lowest common denominator of boom boxes and people listening with iPods in the loud city traffic.
You don't want to be taken by surprise nor to have wild dynamic swings while using the music as background and riding your 3000cc engine.

OMG!! Never realized hoy great Gethsemane and DATDDO were till today!!! :D

I'm kinda impressed by how much the Angels Fall First songs were improved. (All two of them...) The original (remasters!) sound very thin. Then again, the whole "glorified demo" thing... I still want Know Why The Nightingale Sings getting the Decades treatment.

Most of their songs deserve it.

Gethsemane has always been a masterpiece and I'm glad the band is acknowledging its existance at last. It was one of those "taboo songs" a few years ago. 

It has very beautiful lyrics. I won a bunch of easy likes on Facebook when I was a teenager with "Without you the poetry in me is dead". 

5 minutes ago, Ahasverus said:

I won a bunch of easy likes on Facebook when I was a teenager with "Without you the poetry in me is dead". 

Someone wrote this to me today! And yes he is a fan of NW!!! (hides)

4 hours ago, some_dude_on_the_interwebs said:

*cough*emo kid*cough*

Haha I wished, I had very curly hair and was kind of ugly. Nowadays I sport the Lex Luthor look and my face aged well enough. No need for stealing lyrics anymore.

Still, NW and their music is an evergreen conversation (pick up)  topic :P

12 hours ago, Adrn_2810 said:

The fact that they didn’t have to make alterations to the first three tracks (TGSOE, Élan, My Walden) says a lot about EFMB’s mastering which is still under-appreciated in my eyes. For the remasters they almost weren’t touched, they are (very, very, very) slightly quieter but that’s it (it’s only visible in detail, no one could tell by plain listening). I like that Decades provides excellent material for comparisons for people who don’t know what all this loudness war thing is all about. I like even more, that Jussila himself proposed to do remasters, since the band would otherwise just have had released the tracks as they were. All this gives me hope, that the next studio album will sound just as great!

They did remaster all of them though, so that would include EFMB. Maybe it was because I wasn't listening to it in the car for a change (bc the cd seriously has not been taken out of my carradio since it came out. It's on repeat there ever since), but the first three songs did sound clearer to me.

Regardless, I am loving this so much and just... I want to relisten to them all, but there are neighbours to take into account right now

1 hour ago, SilentDawn said:

They did remaster all of them though, so that would include EFMB. Maybe it was because I wasn't listening to it in the car for a change (bc the cd seriously has not been taken out of my carradio since it came out. It's on repeat there ever since), but the first three songs did sound clearer to me.

Your ears are not fooling you, they do sound cleaner! (Or both of our ears are fooling us.) :D 

The whole album is now available on Apple Music. I’m guessing Spotify too.

I have spotify premium, but it isn't up for me in full. It shows the entire tracklist, but only TGSOE, Élan, My Walden, Storytime, IWMTB,, Amaranth, TPATP, Nemo, WIHAA, GLS, DBP and Gethsemane can be listened to.

5 hours ago, SilentDawn said:

I have spotify premium, but it isn't up for me in full. It shows the entire tracklist, but only TGSOE, Élan, My Walden, Storytime, IWMTB,, Amaranth, TPATP, Nemo, WIHAA, GLS, DBP and Gethsemane can be listened to.

Strange. I can listen to the whole album. I suppose it differs from countries to countries.

I think that may be the case indeed. For some weird reason we don't have the entire Wishmaster album either, nor do we have DPP anf AFF (though I'm pretty sure we used to have DPP. But then EFMB was gone for a day or two too). Maybe it'll get changed soon enough!

19 hours ago, Ahasverus said:

Gethsemane has always been a masterpiece and I'm glad the band is acknowledging its existance at last. It was one of those "taboo songs" a few years ago. 

Why? It's not a religious song. Just using religious imagery. The reason they haven't played it for so many years was the same as Stargazers. They just couldn't do it justice until recently.

1 minute ago, Magnus said:

Why? It's not a religious song. Just using religious imagery. The reason they haven't played it for so many years was the same as Stargazers. They just couldn't do it justice until recently.

It was deemed "too personal", like Ocean Soul.