Marius

Decades World Tour 2018

2,028 posts in this topic

How could one not like the orchestration in Gethsemane? It's nothing short of biblical. 

I overall like the orchestral arrangements they added to the songs, specially 10th Man Down and Gethsemane. It's like they are paying a tribute to their past but showing them off live as they would have sounded if they were written and recorded today with the current state and lineup of the band. I prefer this rather than having a copy-paste of the studio versions, even though I love those just as much. At least Tuomas and Emppu are actually playing their old riffs live again :P Been doing some training there. This is also good for their future input to their upcoming albums.

Would also like to add that I really hope we get a live album from this tour. The band is already sounding pretty good just after two shows, so I can't imagine how it will sound later on this tour. Hopefully they will do some recordings during the European tour/summer festivals. 

7 hours ago, Marius said:

Elvenpath in full! Kinda like the jam session they have in the start there :) 

That jam.....there's nothing inherently wrong with it but about halfway through I was like "can't they just play Moondance?"

I'm more curious about who composed Elvenjig? Is it a cover? Newly written band jam? I'd also like to add how much I love it when Troy and Marco sing in harmony during parts of Come Cover Me.

32 minutes ago, Magnus said:

I'm more curious about who composed Elvenjig? Is it a cover? Newly written band jam? I'd also like to add how much I love it when Troy and Marco sing in harmony during parts of Come Cover Me.

Let's see if I can find out

35 minutes ago, Magnus said:

I'd also like to add how much I love it when Troy and Marco sing in harmony during parts of Come Cover Me.

Curiously, I really dislike that :P For me, the only reason why the 2012 version wasn't better than the previous ones was them :P The difference is that I think that Floor can do a better job there, and even though it's one of my favourite songs, I wouldn't mind if they replaced it with DSC.

Why? I think it sounds very folksy, which along with the flute goes very well with many of their older songs from Oceanborn and Wishmaster.

I think it works in some songs but not in this one. Same with SOW and 10th Man Down. They should let Floor sing alone those parts, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, JRA said:

That jam.....there's nothing inherently wrong with it but about halfway through I was like "can't they just play Moondance?"

My exact reaction lmao

Okay so got a couple of answers from questions posted in this thread so far.

About the new orchestrations.. Yup it was indeed Mr Pip Williams who arranged them.

And about who composed the Elvenjig.. this is the response I got :) " Elvenjig is a traditional tune from the depths of history. It has had many different titles throughout the decades/centuries, but since it works as an intro for Elvenpath, we thought Elvenjig would be a great new title for it. "

23 minutes ago, Carol said:

About the new orchestrations.. Yup it was indeed Mr Pip Williams who arranged them.

Really interesting, it seems he purposely changed his style for this particular tour to sound more celebratory, great! 

Any chances the band will release the orchestrations even if standalone? They're great but we'll never hear then fully :( (Sound isn't the clearest even live) 

Somehow I don't see them changing the setlist that much during the tour. Remember that they need those silly backing tracks and background videos for all the songs they are going to play. (Well, for the songs they don't already have videos and playback that is.) And also practice how to play the songs. :P Money probably isn't a problem for them, but it isn't free to make orchestral arrangements (Since they are arranged by Pip they are also probably recorded with real instruments and not with samples.) and videos.

Of course I can be totally wrong, and there might very well come at least some changes at some point. I'm pretty sure they'll have this exact set for at least the North American tour, but we'll see.

I definitely think that there will come some (small) changes sometime. Even in this NA tour. What you are saying is true but that doesn't mean they don't already have the backing tapes and videos for other songs ready.

8 minutes ago, Imagineer said:

I definitely think that there will come some (small) changes sometime. Even in this NA tour. What you are saying is true but that doesn't mean they don't already have the backing tapes and videos for other songs ready.

Yes, of course they have if they are going to make changes. :) I just meant that I'm not sure if they have done that. It's quite probable that they'll change some songs here and there at some point, but my guess is that frame of the set will remain. 

2 hours ago, Carol said:

At least it's nice to see that he has refreshed his style. Brings hope that the next album would have a fresher sound as well. 

13 hours ago, Damian said:

'm all for Deep Silent Complete, I wouldn't mind if they leave Come Cover Me out of the setlist and play DSC instead.

Agreed. Floor is simply too rough for Come Cover Me, however I think she would own Deep Silent Complete.

21 hours ago, Nightwalker said:

I thought about it... What about Passion and the Opera? Will we see it being performed? :D

THIS!

23 hours ago, Ahasverus said:

It feels like a different song

Exactly, that’s why I don’t like the new orchestration for 10th Man Down. I’m fine with them replacing Tuomas’s synths with an orchestra (not really but still), however the film score thing going on was just totally unnecessary. Floor’s vocals was perfect though, especially the ‘They wait for me back home/The live with eyes turned away...’ part. That was pure gold.

20 minutes ago, A Blessed Wish said:

Floor is simply too rough for Come Cover Me, however I think she would own Deep Silent Complete.

Amen!!

Great videos from the first night in Atlanta were uploaded on YouTube:

I must say that Elvenpath sounds amazing by now! I got some chills with the intro and Floor's voice at the background. And this will be getting more powerful with time, mark my words.

3 hours ago, Carol said:

And about who composed the Elvenjig.. this is the response I got :) " Elvenjig is a traditional tune from the depths of history. It has had many different titles throughout the decades/centuries, but since it works as an intro for Elvenpath, we thought Elvenjig would be a great new title for it. "

So it is a cover of an existing song? and if yes, by whom? Thank you

1 hour ago, A Blessed Wish said:

Agreed. Floor is simply too rough for Come Cover Me, however I think she would own Deep Silent Complete.

I think we should give her some time to find the best way to sing these songs. Listening to the first performances and the the most recent ones of She Is My Sin is like night and day. I think she's doing a good job with every single "new" song she's performing so far.

Of course, if I was to nitpick there are some things I'd like to change. For example, the opening to 10th Man Down, which is otherwise just perfect. It starts off with a beautiful high vocable, but then the song has a key change and the vocable is lowered. It's kind of an awkward transition without a massive choir or a multi-layered vocal recording backing her up as the full instrumentation kicks in. The other small nitpick I've got is the odd jump in octave for "End of hope! End of love! End of time! The rest is silence...". I think she should stick to the lower octave, with the fuller operatic voice like Tarja did, to maintain the menacing tone of these lyrics. The higher pitch comes out of nowhere and makes it sound too pretty.

But I'd like to stress that the only reason why it's so easy, for me at least, to nitpick like this is because 99% of what they do is pretty much perfection in my book. Makes the small peculiarities easier to spot.

8 minutes ago, NWWT said:

If it's a traditional song, it might not be known who wrote it. Although I'd like to know what names it's gone by in previous recordings by different performers.

9 minutes ago, NWWT said:

Well, it appears to be a folk tune by that most prolific author, A. Nonymous.

I can't claim to recognize the melody.

5 minutes ago, some_dude_on_the_interwebs said:

Well, it appears to be a folk tune by that most prolific author, A. Nonymous.

I can't claim to recognize the melody.

I'm sure El Troyo must have had a hand in it, though, right? ;)

How do the venues compare to the last time they toured the US? Same kind of size, any notably bigger/smaller?

From memory i believe they played Hammerstein ballroom in NY city last time but this time at the Playstation theater which is about 1000 less i beleive, did it not sell all that well last time?

Also no greek theater in CA this time, that looked like an epic place for a gig. 

The videos look awesome so far, I recently got tickets for the Paris show, was considering Bloodstock as i live in London but an indoor show is preferale for me plus a nice visit to Paris :)

It's gonna be exciting to see just how much fancier the set will look in Europe.

36 minutes ago, Magnus said:

think we should give her some time to find the best way to sing these songs

She might get better with time, however there still are better song choices than Come Cover Me. 

38 minutes ago, Magnus said:

For example, the opening to 10th Man Down, which is otherwise just perfect. It starts off with a beautiful high vocable, but then the song has a key change and the vocable is lowered. It's kind of an awkward transition without a massive choir or a multi-layered vocal recording backing her up as the full instrumentation kicks in

Agreed. 

34 minutes ago, Magnus said:

the odd jump in octave for "End of hope! End of love! End of time! The rest is silence...". I think she should stick to the lower octave, with the fuller operatic voice like Tarja did, to maintain the menacing tone of these lyrics. The higher pitch comes out of nowhere and makes it sound too pretty.

Also agreed.

1 hour ago, A Blessed Wish said:

She might get better with time, however there still are better song choices than Come Cover Me. 

The only track I'm actively rooting for to get the boot is The Carpenter. It was never a good song and they get an A for effort, but they should just immortalise it by recording it as a bonus for an upcoming live release and replace it with Angels Fall First or the original Nightwish demo. I'd also rather have Dead to the World instead of WIsh I Had an Angel. But there's nothing wrong with the latter performance. It's solid. Just me being a selfish fan because I've heard it so many times already. I'm sure people who go see them live for the first time with Floor are loving it.