Marius

Decades World Tour 2018

2,235 posts in this topic

So, I have been thoroughly impressed with everything so far. I do have one minor complaint, though. Am I strange or neurotic for being mildly annoyed by both Floor and Marco singing "This is the END of all hope / To have what I once had" instead of "The BIRTH of all hope"? I know it's a very minor error but it does alter the meaning quite a bit...

Regardless of that, great performance below! 

1 hour ago, Season said:

So, I have been thoroughly impressed with everything so far. I do have one minor complaint, though. Am I strange or neurotic for being mildly annoyed by both Floor and Marco singing "This is the END of all hope / To have what I once had" instead of "The BIRTH of all hope"? I know it's a very minor error but it does alter the meaning quite a bit...

I've listened to the clip a bunch of times now and I honestly can't tell whether you're right and she is singing "the birth of all hope" or if it's "the end".

This could be due to my not being a native speaker, though.

22 hours ago, GreatEye said:

My biggest complaints for this tour so far:

1. I miss Hate Me (Hitchcock) note at Slaying the Dreamer screaming part.

https://youtu.be/d-LPrfw6k_s?t=208

That was a fast response. Tuomas read my posts thoughts:P

4 hours ago, Magnus said:

Swanheart isn't going to happen since it's the intro. No thanks to cover songs (plus Anette's version of Walking in the Air will most likely never be topped). Two for Tragedy is probably my favourite Nightwish ballad, but I'm not sure if I want to hear a modern take on it. I wish they had performed it during the Wishmaster tour. There's something so special about the studio recording, imo.

It's not a ballad, but I'm gonna stand behind the idea of giving Moondance a try live.

New great videos from Baltimore, uploaded by the famous Anthony Serafino II! :)

I've now watched videos of Elvenpath way too many times and I have to say, holy hell! Floor absolutely kicks ass on it! I've always loved the chorus in it and she just sends it to new levels. Ohmygod.

7 hours ago, Season said:

In this particular song I think she should lean more towards Tarja's vocal approach, instead of her more belt-ish technique.
Floor can handle many techniques and I think this song could benefit more of Floor's head voice and lyrical technique.

18 hours ago, KebabScout said:

So about The Carpenter...

1) I don't think it's their worst song. I don't love it, but my pick for the worst song is bit of an oddball - The Riddler. It's bland, it's boring and seems like it was thrown onto Oceanborn as filler.

2) I still think they absolutely should switch The Carpenter for something else. Dead Gardens or Wanderlust, anyone?

3) Yes, Nympho is as bad as TC. You guys are a twisted bunch :P

I happen to quite like the Riddler, but come on, Carpenter is just plain dog--damned awful.

11 hours ago, Babrablack said:

I don't recall it being played at the iRum tour though :rolleyes:

I don't recall it being played ever since 2002, actually.

I refuse to accept that thing with Anette doing her Bjork impression and a sleep-deprived Nevalainen pounding the toms randomly as "Sleeping Sun", sorry.

Eh, they performed it on the Once tour as well.

35 minutes ago, planet_terror said:

In this particular song I think she should lean more towards Tarja's vocal approach, instead of her more belt-ish technique.
Floor can handle many techniques and I think this song could benefit more of Floor's head voice and lyrical technique.

I wholeheartedly agree. It doesn't feel right at all. 

2 hours ago, some_dude_on_the_interwebs said:

I don't recall it being played ever since 2002, actually.

I refuse to accept that thing with Anette doing her Bjork impression and a sleep-deprived Nevalainen pounding the toms randomly as "Sleeping Sun", sorry.

C'mon now

and it was even a messy rerecording  single.

43 minutes ago, Babrablack said:

C'mon now

Yeah no, I also refuse not only to acknowledge the existence of anything from that tour or DVD, but also to mention it.
Cereal box snare, horrendous guitar sound, peak whale Tarja, keyboard parts mostly playback (on Vehicle Holopainen at least bothers to play the D50 bell part live).

And don't even get me started on the 2005 single.

Unpopular opinion, I know, sorry.

10 minutes ago, some_dude_on_the_interwebs said:

Yeah no, I also refuse not only to acknowledge the existence of anything from that tour or DVD

It's bad, but, you know it's... there.

Wow I love Floor singing Slaying the Dreamer. It's like made for her, she can go full fierce and wild, and she nails the dramatic operatic sound too:yahoo:And 10th Man Down sounds amazing. I hope the setlist won't change too much, I definitely want to hear Slaying the Dreamer, 10th Man Down, and Devil (though, if I could have Pharaoh instead... that would be heaven).

Can't wait for July and the concert in Lahti, it's going to be unforgettable if the setlist is like this. 

If someone from the band is ever reading this forum: we desperately want a live DVD of this tour!!!

12 minutes ago, L_Alpenglow said:

I need an "OFFICIAL LIVE" for Elvenpath and The Kingslayer right now!:yahoo:

Did you say and write The Kingslayer?! :dwarf:

But you are right. Especially official video for Elvenpath :D

I think an official video for either Gethsemane or Devil & the Deep Dark Ocean at some point will help boost people's interest in this tour.

2 hours ago, some_dude_on_the_interwebs said:

Yeah no, I also refuse not only to acknowledge the existence of anything from that tour or DVD, but also to mention it.

It wasn't all bad, but I do agree that Tarja was at her worst during the Once era. Paper thin vocals, tremolo like vibrato... there's even a professional recording of her being sharp throughout an entire performance of Ghost Love Score out there.

Hey guys, I just came from the NYC show. So I had avoided this forum for the past week so that the set list would be a surprise to me and WOW was it a surprise. When End of All Hope dropped as the opening I was like :o

Absolutely great! I did have a horrendous seat though in the back but I managed to move up after a very needed bathroom break during Nemo.

My favorite song was surprisingly Elvenpath. I didn't think it was ever that great of a song but it REALLY popped at the chorus tonight. Sacarament of the Wilderness sounded kind of funky though. I think the only thing I wish would have happened was for her to use her operatic voice more on it. 

Also the visuals were absolutely beautiful. Even 47493 miles away from the stage there was a certain magic to Gethsemane when combined with the visuals. 

I didn't know they were handing out the CD for free there, so I'm less salty about paying 70 dollars.

Also greatest show on earth was dedicated to hawking. 

1 hour ago, Babrablack said:

So apparently NY's gig tonight is sold out. Ahoy!

So happy to hear that! will definitely encourage them to book bigger venues on the next tour in the US! 

After standing for 8.5 hours I'm sitting for a train ride.  Yes, the NYC show was everything @River Wild said. Great show and worth all the standing. Lucky enough I got 2nd row, just in front of Emppu.  There was lots of headbanging by Floor. She was quite enthusiastic throughout the show. Most of the songs got a great reception from the very happy crowd. Troy's presence was not overdone. I did meet a fellow from Finland who has seen NW over 70 times.  He is def a super fan. Him and his buddies are on the guest list so no tickets were needed. All in all a good night with a very light snow leaving the venue.

Additional info now that I'm home.

Ewo was outside quite often smoking....saw Floor, she arrived sans make up....her husband was carrying little Freja...sweet baby!

Ewo was handling out the NW Decades double CD to all.  Thank you NW for that GIFT!!!  Some people on the front of the line (outside standing for hours)  got a NW sticker that said NW est 1996. I got one...it's going on my car.

I'm so happy that everyone is having such a great time :DTo all of you who will attend a future concert, have a blast too!

Now since Greece is omitted from this tour, again (come on, last time they performed here was in March 2008) and since I cannot possibly afford to travel to another country to see them, can we please, please have a live DVD? It's after all the celebration of 20 years and that setlist is Pure Magic, with a few exeptions: I personally can live without WIHAA, Nemo, IWMTB and the Carpenter. I know the Carpenter was released as a single back in 1997 but it’s one of the most unispiring songs Mr Holopainen has ever written (with Endless Forms Most Beautiful second on my list), where as the rest have simply been performed to death.

Now I know there are many great songs to choose from, we all have our preferences and no one will ever be pleased 100% by the band’s choices, but how about Angels Fall First, The Pharaoh Sails To Orion, Deep Silent Complete, Beauty Of The Beast, Cadence Of Her Last Breath, Rest Calm, The Heart Asks Pleasure First (can I please, please listen to Floor singing that one), Escapist to name just a few? I know the last two are bonus material but hey, surprise us a bit more than you already have! But I don’t want to sound too ungreatful since Gethsemane (Floor sounds absolutely amazing to my ears & it's my all time favourite song), Devil, Elvenpath, The Kinslayer, Slaying The Dreamer were among the most anticipated songs!  

We could also have some professional recordings like IWMTB and GLS to promote the tour (and those two were recorded before Floor and Troy were made official members) or the Nuclear Blast promo videos and listen to the band in good quality than YouTube, which I have nothing against since that’s the only way for me to ‘see’ the band at the moment. 

Sorry for the long post, back to my hole!