Marius

Decades World Tour 2018

2,235 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, GreatEye said:

I'm loving the Minimoog bit.
I'm pleasantly surprised.

EDIT: Good God, Vuorinen has finally let go of the tremolo bar every 4 notes. Thank you, God.

EDIT: Look at Holopainen drinking water. Aww.

13 hours ago, JRA said:

And yes, high ALWAYS means good.  In fact if you're in a female fronted metal band and you aren't going high, you're kind of doing it wrong.

Female Fronted doesn't mean "G#7 or gtfo", it means the singer is female. I personally like when a singer sings comfortably, precisely and expressively. Why this discrimination against the low register? Low notes are so cool and sexy. I always have the impression that this 'cult of high notes' is a thing proper of some metal fans that listen to nothing but symphonic or power metal (and aren't very educated about singing). Out there in the world there's plenty of amazing singers with just 2 octaves (thinking of Adele, anyone?) but also with incredible control and interpretation skills. It's not a matter of size, but how you use it.

About the reason behind them lowering the song keys yes, tuning is probably the actual reason, but I play the piano and I know nothing about tuning stuff so that wasn't obvious.

5 minutes ago, Calinn said:

I always have the impression that this 'cult of high notes' is a thing proper of some metal fans that listen to nothing but symphonic or power metal (and aren't very educated about singing).

Thankfully you're Italian so there's no need for overly long explanations. Here. The part you want is at 0:30.

They transposed the songs down because they like to play tuned to D. It's thumpier. I don't think there's anything more to it than that. 

4 hours ago, some_dude_on_the_interwebs said:

And. Beauty and the beast. You guys keep confusing the two.

Research has shown that only 74.882% of the fans are interested in a Beauty and the Beast comeback, that's why I didn't include it in my letter. Duh. 

Beauty of the Beast has some of the most beautiful lyrics Tuomas has ever written. That song resonates with me so much. 

I say give TGSOE the boot and put it in. It's better anyway. 

I was at the Baltimore show this week, and will also be at tonight's show. I am holding back on a full review until I have experienced them both and can really let it sink in as a whole experience.

As far as songs go, I am with the Beauty of the Beast desire. I really, really hope they add that at some point. Even switching out TGOE and GSL for TPATP and BOTB. Of course I'll be disappointed I wasn't at those shows, haha. I will say though, that hearing GSOE Full was magical and I can't wait to experience it again tonight.

I sort of hope tonight we get a switch-up already. I suppose we will see. I know it's still not likely this early in the tour. Personally I would switch out Élan for a song like Alpenglow, if they want to keep another song from EFMB.

Reviews coming this weekend.

4 hours ago, Lena said:

Is that Floor speaking in the beginning? Did she just say Elvenpath? What the hell is an elvenpath? :ermm:

Yes, it's Floor. I don't really get what you're trying to say though. The song is called Elvenpath and that's what she says?

7 hours ago, NWWT said:

I do have a feeling however that Thomas and Troy are creating a bad environment in the band with Auri. For some reason, Nightwish keeps pushing Auri on their facebook page non-stop and it is just not looking good in my opinion. Is Auri part of Nightwish? no. Is Auri acting as an extension of Nightwish? unjustifiably yes. None of this would happen if Auri was a project by Floor and Troy, so why do it when it is Thomas and Troy?

My gut feeling is that Floor went ahead with her Northward project because of her vocal and writing skills were not really used on EFMB, and as Thomas already said the next album will be inspired by EFMB, that does not help either. So all its left for Floor, is to use her vocal skills only on live shows when the material was previously performed by and written for other vocalists while constantly being judged and compared to previous vocalists. Is that really super exciting for any performer and songwriter? I don't think so. I see it as a red flag and backup plan for if and when Floor will have none of that crap and leave Nightwish. If that happens, it will be the end of Nightwish as we know it. 

Leave it to NW fans to create unnecesary drama. NIghtwish are promoting Auri because two parts of Nightwish are involved in that project. Too bad you weren't in 2013, Nightwish ALSO promoted like crazy on their social networks Revamp's album "Wild Card". And just to ruin your theory, Northward's song were already written ten years ago when After Forever called it quits. Can't a freaking member of the band have a side project without everyone looking into crappy conspiracy theories?

Oh, and people, as much as you want Beauty of the beast, you must also understand that a song needs to be rehearsed and especially a long song. It's not as if they can play any song you like just because of it. I don't think they've even rehearsed it.

37 minutes ago, Symphoniker said:

Leave it to NW fans to create unnecesary drama. NIghtwish are promoting Auri because two parts of Nightwish are involved in that project. Too bad you weren't in 2013, Nightwish ALSO promoted like crazy on their social networks Revamp's album "Wild Card". And just to ruin your theory, Northward's song were already written ten years ago when After Forever called it quits. Can't a freaking member of the band have a side project without everyone looking into crappy conspiracy theories?

Oh, and people, as much as you want Beauty of the beast, you must also aunderstand that a song needs to be rehearsed and especially a long song. It's not as if they can play any song you like just because of it. I don't think they've even rehearsed it.

And also the great Emppu's Brother Firetribe band. There is no conspiracy here, it's nonsense. 

6 hours ago, NWWT said:

My gut feeling is that Floor went ahead with her Northward project because of her vocal and writing skills were not really used on EFMB, and as Thomas already said the next album will be inspired by EFMB, that does not help either. So all its left for Floor, is to use her vocal skills only on live shows when the material was previously performed by and written for other vocalists while constantly being judged and compared to previous vocalists. Is that really super exciting for any performer and songwriter? I don't think so. I see it as a red flag and backup plan for if and when Floor will have none of that crap and leave Nightwish. If that happens, it will be the end of Nightwish as we know it. 

Do you really think Floor will quit a perfectly stable job for a band she doesn't even know will be successful? Specially now that she has a daughter. She has to make a living you know...

“while constantly being judged and compared to previous vocalists”: Well, she's really good at what she does so I'm sure she will survive this. :) I don't even see Floor constantly being judged, more like constantly being praised lol.

And I don't understand how the fact that the next album will follow the same topics as EFMB “does not help either”. What does that have to do with vocal skills?

10 minutes ago, Nightwalker said:

And also the great Emppu's Brother Firetribe band. There is no conspiracy here, it's nonsense. 

Firetribe? Never heard of them, are they good? Didn't know Emppu had a brother either.

26 minutes ago, some_dude_on_the_interwebs said:

Firetribe? Never heard of them, are they good? Didn't know Emppu had a brother either.

Are you kidding, yeah? Or didn't you really know?

Emppu has four brothers, that's true, but he is also a founding member in the band Brother Firetribe (they play mainly AOR). They are really good imo.

Note to Lord Wishnight:

It's time to appoint a new Administrator for the Nightwish Doomsday Clock - just browse the past pages, there are plenty of applicants to choose from! There must be a secret plot behind the missing flutes in the Carpenter and things will eventually blow up!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkufu8QuBq3thm4N8I12CvDDH4qNtcb7l6Uevhsd5MQyGC2yRD

7 hours ago, some_dude_on_the_interwebs said:

And. Beauty and the beast. You guys keep confusing the two.

"Dear Tuomas,

It's time to choose whether the story of Nightwish ends here or whether it will still continue an undetermined period of time.
Nightwish is a way of life, something to live for, and we're certain we can't let it go.

Equally certain is the fact that I cannot go on with you and Marcelo any longer.
Yes, you big idiot, that was Marcelo all along!

You feel that you have sacrificed yourself and your musical career for Nightwish, rather than thinking what it has given to you.
This attitude was clearly shown to me in the two things you said to me in an airplane in Toronto: ”I don't need Nightwish anymore.” and ”Remember, Floor, that I could leave this band at any time, giving you only one day's warning in advance”.

I wish that from now on you will listen to your heart instead of Marcelo.

All the best for your life and career,

Floor"

You forgot to add

I wish that from now on you will listen to your heart instead of Marcelo. Cultural differences combined with greed, opportunism and a suffocating plethora of Dutch Oven pranks makes for a dangerous combination. Do not wither yourself.

Just watched the clip of Ghost Love Score (@New York) and found out that they still use the Dawkins outro ("We're going to die and that makes us the lucky ones...."). I think that is a really poor choice for this tour. It was a bit iffy even on the last tour but still understandable due to the scientific theme of the tour. So it wasn't that big of a deal back then that the show ended with a bit of a preach (= "have you got any idea just how lucky you are to be born? Now acknowledge it and go enjoy your life!"). But to hear it AGAIN on this tour is a bit too much. It's irritating. Not gonna lie.

Yeah the outro has to go. The sooner we're over science Nightwish the better. 

1 minute ago, Ahasverus said:

Yeah the outro has to go. The sooner we're over science Nightwish the better. 

That is the silliest thing I've ever heard.  The science and/or social Nightwish is the only good thing about modern Nightwish's sound.

Okay boyos.

I am going to come to your homes, tie you, gag you and make each of you listen to Milli Vanilli with the volume on 11 while I empty your fridge the next time anybody uses the term "science Nightwish" to describe an audio snippet of bad armchair philosophy spoken by a researcher-turned-columnist.

Thank you for your cooperation (in keeping your fridge well stocked for my visit, that is).

5 minutes ago, JRA said:

That is the silliest thing I've ever heard.  The science and/or social Nightwish is the only good thing about modern Nightwish's sound.

Nah fam. After tearing up listening to with Dead Boy's Poem and getting chills to Gethsemane I realized that's the real Nightwish to me. Music that speaks to the soul, not the brain. There are books for that. 

1 minute ago, Ahasverus said:

Nah fam. After tearing up listening to with Dead Boy's Poem and getting chills to Gethsemane I realized that's the real Nightwish to me. Music that speaks to the soul, not the brain. There are books for that. 

"To the brain"?
To the brain?
That snippet is fortune cookie material.

I'm coming. Try to have some mustard to go with the sausages, ok?

8 minutes ago, Ahasverus said:

Why not both? I think EFMB speaks to both. As I said before, it celebrates and romanticizes science. And believe me as an English scholar, that's how true romanticism came to be.  Shelley, Byron and Wordsworth, all of them found beauty in nature and science. Sounds familiar?

"We are going to die..." oh man what a beautiful way to finish the the best  day of my life... Not. 

Seriously I respect your opinion but I'd trade the Eukaryothe for another Dead Boy. 

I have to agree that I long for the touchy-feely fantasy-filled Nightwish lyrics. Even though in that regard I think Imaginaerum is the pinacle of Nightwish's lyrics, especially Song of Myself. It is full of feelings, yet in a way more mature light than in past albums.