Marius

Decades World Tour 2018

2,355 posts in this topic

I'm jealous of you all there!  Still upset I didn't go to a show this year when they came to US.  Wish I had now.

47 minutes ago, GreatEye said:

Live

*The crowd is so dead :S

What would you expect from a Scandinavian crowd?!  At the end of the day we are still shitting our pants during the show and let the moms do the laundry next morning but we keep it secret :giggle:.

Anything different compared to previous shows, other than the opening song?

Just got back to my hotel! A few summary points that comes to mind:

- I cried so much, especially during Gethsemane, DBP and Ghost Love Score. I felt like I was 14 again.

- No Deep Silent Conplete, which I was looking forward to the most

- Amazing pyro show!

- Gethsemane, Sacrament, The Carpenter, The Kinslayer and Devil were my absolute highlights of the show. All works amazingly well in a live setting.

- Emppu is a very funny guy. We had a moment were he teased me with his pick, almost throwed it but quickly put it back in his fingers and made a funny face. Love him

- The crowd was lame! You could feel it in the atmosphere. Beast in Black tried really hard to get us going. Steped up a little when Nightwish came on, but in generel Scandinavians needs to increase their energy in live shows. I feel for the artists

- The girl next to me COULD NOT STOP TALKING during half the set. Just please, shut up. If you’re at a concert, enjoy the show or go somewhere else to do your jibberjabber and don’t destroy the experience for others around yoy

Good night!

9 minutes ago, Marius said:

No Deep Silent Conplete, which I was looking forward to the most

:(:(:(

What a show... Suberb sound quality, apart from just one thing I’m not sure about. Awesome setlist. Loved the songs I hadn’t heard previously... and the others too.

I only have my phone, so I’ll give my review tomorrow evening when I’m back home.

7 hours ago, GreatEye said:

Live

*The crowd is so dead :S

That's what happens when you don't open with End of All Hope.  I feel bad for the European fans.

If they start performing Dark Chest of Wonders more regularly now, I hope that means it will not be performed at all during the next tour at the very least.

Kom igen, Sverige! :D:D:D

Dark Chest of Wonders is a great opener but considering this is the DECADES tour it’s so random they would take away a golden oldie for this one. 

Oh, wow...

The intro. A bunch of glowing screens in the crowd below of people recording the message about putting away your cellphones. That was just wonderful. (I did have my phone up a few times myself during the show...) Then the countdown. Swanheart was lovely, way better than I had imagined.

BAM! Dark Chest of Wonders. Unexpected, but warmly welcomed for reasons explained in my latest post. I did not miss End Of All Hope, but I did miss Deep Silent Complete. I wonder why they cut it. Dead Boy's Poem is amazing in this rendition - another highlight. As was Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean.

This was by no doubt the best sounding concert I've been to. Everything was super clear. Having seats further from the stage perhaps helped. As did my discovery that my earplugs don't need to be pushed all the way in... But one thing was quite odd. Whenever Floor pushed for those highest notes there were some really weird distortion that made her vocals sound higher pitched to me. Sometimes to the point of taking away the melody, which definitely impacted, for example, the choruses of The Greatest Show on Earth and the Ghost Love Score finale. I was the only one in the group who heard this, including my sister who also has a musical ear. I have no idea what caused it.

But in the end, it was a great show. The audience on the floor was about as energetic as you could expect from northerners, but the band was awesome. They are. It's always quite the feeling seeing these people, who have given you so much, with your own eyes and not through a screen. Floor did speak Swedish... a bit! No rioting needed. Marco also chipped in, to our amusement. And then Troy being Troy.

It's unbelievable how fast time flies during the shows. I realize a concert and listening at home are two really different experiences for me, emotionally. I can only really open myself up to the music when I'm all by myself, and I could never jump and dance and sing along as much as I'd like when cramped in between seven strangers, but still... I want more. I want to see them again! I'm so glad the Blu-ray is coming so I can relive last night, but in my living room!

In addition to my brother still suffering from his cold, the weather was awful on the way down. My sister's plane got delayed. And then trying to find a parking spot... Eesh. We also totally forgot to even look at the merchandise after the show. I was planning to buy a signed We Were Here!, but nooope. However, Nightwish themselves more than made up for it. Definitely a day and once-in-a-lifetime experience to remember.

No Deep Silent Complete? Really? I'm dying to hear this song live and they better play it when I'm going to see them live in six days. Apart from that I'm beyond excited to see them live again finally. Has been almost three years since the last time. And I hope we will also get Dark Chest of Wonders instead of End of all Hope as opener.

3 hours ago, NeoGeorg said:

BAM! Dark Chest of Wonders. Unexpected, but warmly welcomed for reasons explained in my latest post. I did not miss End Of All Hope, but I did miss Deep Silent Complete. I wonder why they cut it. 

For the same reason people are happy that Dark Chest of Wonders replaced End of All Hope: casuals that don't know their place.

@JRA Doesn't make sense though. They didn't replace it with something else. They just cut it and played 19 songs instead of 20.

12 hours ago, NeoGeorg said:

BAM! Dark Chest of Wonders. Unexpected, but warmly welcomed for reasons explained in my latest post. I did not miss End Of All Hope, but I did miss Deep Silent Complete.

On one level I'm really happy for you and other DCOW fans, it's great to see a song that you love live. But it also worries me a bit for the UK setlists, as it seems they've now played DCOW at the last 4 shows, so the chance of me getting to see EOAH live looks to be getting slimmer. And I think I'm sort of the opposite of you, as EOAH has a special place in my NW-heart (one of the first songs I heard, one of the reasons I got into them as much as I did, one of my most played songs from my favourite NW album), and this is the first time it's been on the setlist in over a decade, so I was hugely excited when the first setlists for the tour came out. Whereas DCOW is... fine? It's not a bad NW song by any means, but it's been played to death (Staple on 3 solid tours, appears on 2 DVDs with 2 different singers - hell, even I've seen it live and I've only seen NW twice, once at a shortened festival show).

I don't know, I guess it feels like fans of DCOW have had plenty of chances to see it performed live, and probably will have more chances in the future. Fans of EOAH haven't, and with the band saying that a lot of these songs aren't going to be played again after this tour, we might not get the chance again.

Ah well, maybe they will switch back for the UK gigs.

I quite like the more operatic approach in this performance! The vibrato in the chorus sounds great!

@NeoGeorg Yeah, I think what you heard was that instead of "belting" the g#5 in GSOE and GLS she sang just that one note in more of a "head voice" and quickly switched back to belting with the other notes. To save her voice a bit I think. I've heard her do that before in some videos too.

Head voice flows so much easier up there, so it has a brighter sound than the belted notes.

Yeah, I head that too at the concert. We're nerds probably :giggle:

Does anyone know how loud a Nightwish concert is? 

I am going to the Paris concert next Saturday, my first concert in over 2 years. Reason is because i got tinnitus from a couple years ago, even then i still attended some concerts with ear plugs and it was fine. But I ended up finding a forum which had horror stories of people with very bad tinnitus and i automatically assumed i would end up like them. This is not the case as mine is mild but it took me along time to get over the anxiety that the forum gave me. Now the concert is almost her I am both excited but a little anxious at the same time.

I had custom musicians ear plugs made so i know i will be well protected, and also i have seats just over halfway back on the sides in the Bercy arena so it's not like I will be down the front. I did go to the Wembley gig two years ago and i thought it was loud before i put the plugs in which made it comfortable.

Dark Chest of Wonders is definitely a much better opener than End of All Hope, but, I don't think they should cut End of All Hope. Keep it in the set and put it where Amaranth is. That would still be a solid set. It's not like Amaranth would never be heard again, on the other hand, who knows when we would hear End of All Hope again.

Although I'm very happy that for the DVD recordings it was the full 20 song setlist including Deep Silent Complete and End of All Hope.

And I also love how she sounds here, wow. I hope she sings it in this manner more. She sounds beautiful. I would love to hear the more operatic voice in many of these oldies. Songs like End of All Hope, Gethsemane, and 10th Man Down really benefit from that style of singing.

10 hours ago, Magnus said:

I quite like the more operatic approach in this performance! The vibrato in the chorus sounds great!