Marius

Decades World Tour 2018

2,356 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, GreatEye said:

No Tapio for the last show?

Sadly, no. No Tapio. But Netta Skog was there for Wishmaster. And Kai said (in his speech before GLS) that Jukka was in the audience somewhere.

I know I've complained about the setlist a lot in this topic, but when I think about it, the current setlist is probably the best they've ever had. And the show at Helsinki was amazing, so I guess I should be more than satisfied overall. And Floor... she's just perfect! She must be so exhausted but you don't really notice it with the way she performs every single night! <3

Here are a couple of videos from last night (with great sound):

One small detail I forgot to mention which I found hilarious was how Troy "stole" couple of solos/lead melodies from Emppu in Turku. I think it was in Nemo and one other song, just hilarious, the guys were def having so much fun :lol:

Jesus Christ that accordion version of Wishmaster is everything that is wrong with this band today.  The scary thing is, I'm not sure whether it's a case of Tuomas having too much soy or Emppu just being miserably lazy.

1 hour ago, JRA said:

I'm not sure whether it's a case of Tuomas having too much soy or Emppu just being miserably lazy.

It's Emppu's fault!!

I hope they filmed one of the Wishmaster performances for the bonus material section of the Blu-ray release :D I'm really looking forward to it regardless though. I'm still mad at myself for not planning my time better and making sure I was able to go see them this time.

^ Yeah, I was going to say, they've played it something like 3 times on this tour, anyone who was there happen to notice if there were any cameras about? I don't we'll be getting a huge amount of bonus material on this DVD given that the setlist was so fixed for most of the tour, but this would seem to be an obvious one? I mean, it's one of their signature songs, it's a fan favourite, it's not on the setlist of the shows they filmed, there's a guest musician taking part in it so it's a "never before seen/heard" version of the song.

Honestly, it seems a bit weird that we haven't had Wishmaster on a live Nightwish release since 2005. Given that it's a crowd pleaser and that they recorded a full orchestra backing/intro for it specially, and that they've gotten several new members on board since that time. I get that they're tired of playing it so they only bring it out on "special occasions" these days, but they have played it at least once on every tour, I think - they just seem to have avoided committing it to record. Maybe this is finally the release!

5 minutes ago, Himiko said:

^ Yeah, I was going to say, they've played it something like 3 times on this tour, anyone who was there happen to notice if there were any cameras about? I don't we'll be getting a huge amount of bonus material on this DVD given that the setlist was so fixed for most of the tour, but this would seem to be an obvious one? I mean, it's one of their signature songs, it's a fan favourite, it's not on the setlist of the shows they filmed, there's a guest musician taking part in it so it's a "never before seen/heard" version of the song.

Honestly, it seems a bit weird that we haven't had Wishmaster on a live Nightwish release since 2005. Given that it's a crowd pleaser and that they recorded a full orchestra backing/intro for it specially, and that they've gotten several new members on board since that time. I get that they're tired of playing it so they only bring it out on "special occasions" these days, but they have played it at least once on every tour, I think - they just seem to have avoided committing it to record. Maybe this is finally the release!

I never thought I'd ever say this, but if it's going to be like that than hell no.

I've been following this forum for over a decade without signing in until now. Something I've always found weird is how Nightwish is being critisized for almost everything they do. For years people were complaining that the band had completely forgotten their earlier material and were playing almost only songs from Once onwards, Then finally this Decades tour happened. They brought back classics like Devil And The Deep Dark Ocean, The Kinslayer, Slaying The Dreamer, Dead Boy's Poem and heck even the likes of Elvenpath and The Carpenter. Yet people still keep complaining. "Why are they still playing Wish I Had An Angel?" "Why didn't they play Crownless?" "Emppu and Tuomas are lazy as hell". They simply can't please everyone. And they don't have to. If someone feels that Nightwish is not for them anymore just find something else to listen to. There are a lot of symphonic metal bands who play faster, heavier and more aggressively than Nightwish if that's what you're looking for. Try out Epica or Xandria for instance. Nightwish is Nightwish and they keep changing and evolving (or devolving depending on how you feel) and that's exactly what they should keep on doing.

What I appreciate about the band is that they've always stayed true to their vision. They've always done what they wanted. They definately are not the same Stratovarius-esque power metal band with operatic vocals they were in 1998-2001. They still have their past and I'm glad that they' brought some of those tunes back on this tour. I also can't get the hate for Nemo, Elan, WIHAA or IWMTB. Come on, they're hits! They get the crowd going the most. On this tour I feel that they found a great balance between the crowd pleasers and fan favourites. Maybe your favourite wasn't among the songs played but hey that's life. Go listen to From Wishes To Eternity if that's the kind of Nightwish you like the most. My favourite albums from them are Oceanborn, Century Child and Imaginaerum but you don't see me complaining about how so few of the songs from the latter two were played on this tour yet I still went to see them live  three times this year. I just wish people would appreciate Nightwish for what it is. If their current state or their recent music isn't something you like that's okay. No one's taking those old albums or live recordings away from you.

24 minutes ago, Vattep said:

No one's taking those old albums or live recordings away from you

No, but they are taking away the chance of reliving those similar moments and atmosphere now, in the present. 

Think of NW music as your wife/husband. Sure, you'll always have nice photos and memories of your honeymoon, but it would definitely be swell if there was some of that fire and passion still in your present relationship. 

And don't get me wrong, welcome to the forum, it's great getting new people here. But the only thing that is more redundant than complaining on a forum is complaining about complaining on the forum. I agree there is a whole lot of criticism here that I personally disagree with, but if those people feel like it, let them vent out their opinion. Just like they can ignore new NW music or setlist, you can also ignore their posts. Unless they get really offensive or tacky, which very seldom happens here. After all, I DO want to believe that all people here, criticising or praising, are indeed NW fans, because who would otherwise waste their time on an internet forum in 2018, and some people have been doing that here for many many years. 

Welcome to the forum again! 

38 minutes ago, Vattep said:

I've been following this forum for over a decade without signing in until now. Something I've always found weird is how Nightwish is being critisized for almost everything they do. For years people were complaining that the band had completely forgotten their earlier material and were playing almost only songs from Once onwards, Then finally this Decades tour happened. They brought back classics like Devil And The Deep Dark Ocean, The Kinslayer, Slaying The Dreamer, Dead Boy's Poem and heck even the likes of Elvenpath and The Carpenter. Yet people still keep complaining. "Why are they still playing Wish I Had An Angel?" "Why didn't they play Crownless?" "Emppu and Tuomas are lazy as hell". They simply can't please everyone. And they don't have to. If someone feels that Nightwish is not for them anymore just find something else to listen to. There are a lot of symphonic metal bands who play faster, heavier and more aggressively than Nightwish if that's what you're looking for. Try out Epica or Xandria for instance. Nightwish is Nightwish and they keep changing and evolving (or devolving depending on how you feel) and that's exactly what they should keep on doing.

What I appreciate about the band is that they've always stayed true to their vision. They've always done what they wanted. They definately are not the same Stratovarius-esque power metal band with operatic vocals they were in 1998-2001. They still have their past and I'm glad that they' brought some of those tunes back on this tour. I also can't get the hate for Nemo, Elan, WIHAA or IWMTB. Come on, they're hits! They get the crowd going the most. On this tour I feel that they found a great balance between the crowd pleasers and fan favourites. Maybe your favourite wasn't among the songs played but hey that's life. Go listen to From Wishes To Eternity if that's the kind of Nightwish you like the most. My favourite albums from them are Oceanborn, Century Child and Imaginaerum but you don't see me complaining about how so few of the songs from the latter two were played on this tour yet I still went to see them live  three times this year. I just wish people would appreciate Nightwish for what it is. If their current state or their recent music isn't something you like that's okay. No one's taking those old albums or live recordings away from you.

Well said. I totally agree. Saw the show in Turku and couldn't have enjoyed more. Thank you, Nightwish!

7 hours ago, Himiko said:

Yeah, I was going to say, they've played it something like 3 times on this tour, anyone who was there happen to notice if there were any cameras about? I don't we'll be getting a huge amount of bonus material on this DVD given that the setlist was so fixed for most of the tour, but this would seem to be an obvious one? I mean, it's one of their signature songs, it's a fan favourite, it's not on the setlist of the shows they filmed, there's a guest musician taking part in it so it's a "never before seen/heard" version of the song.

Excatly. Wishmaster and Dark Chest of Wonders seem like obvious choices for bonus material, along with a performance with Tapio as a guest. Hopefully they filmed some of them, even if they didn't use any high-tech equipment.

I'll be content either way, as long as nothing from the main show is cut. The Buenos Aires gig seems to have been amazing judging by the fan recordings on YouTube. I said this in the Old Era thread already, but Nuclear Blast better be promoting this release at least as much as they're promoting this new random re-release of End of an Era (4 clips already!).

These are the ones I'd pick to promote it:

• Dead Boy's Poem
  • Devil & the Deep Dark Ocean

These two are just incredible performances with a huge wow factor that also covers two different sides Nightwish, soft and heavy, very well.. They also make for great reaction video material (love it or hate it, but this has become a new popular way to spread the message about new bands on YouTube - especially for Americans to discover bands that are popular in Europe but they've never heard of over there). I'd argue these two are a must.

• The Kinslayer
  • Wish I Had an Angel

These are obvious fan favourites. The first one will go down well with older fans for the same reason Stargazers did - it's got the operatic vocals that so many people want to hear. It's a great performance too. We might be tired of Wish I Had an Angel, but it's a good performance and it will bring in the views.

However, no songs that were already used to promote Showtime, Storytime or Vehicle of Spirit, please! And as much as I like the songs, this is not the time to upload Élan and The Greatest Show on Earth either.

I just had maybe one of the craziest weeks I've ever had. I went to see Nightwish at Wembley, Turku and Helsinki. Fricking expensive hobby this is, haha! But TOTALLY worth it.

At Wembley I got the spot right in front of the mixing table. I've never been standing that "back" at any NW gig but that spot was very good! You got to see the visuals fully and man, the screens were so beautiful. Also sound was very good at least to my ears. Nice show. I felt very proud that it really was a Finnish band that played there. Here in Finland media is praising certain hip hop and pop stars to be the greatest stars of Finnish music, but they all are just some little mice before the mighty Nightwish and that's the truth. Sorry not sorry :D

Then time for a Turku show six days after. Very fun show! I was in the front row as usual and you could see that the band had fun as well. Marco laughed at us when we did some pararararas with my friends during Gethsemane :D That pararara guy is a true legend. Wishmaster was played with Netta as people have mentioned. It was an additional song so none of the songs were removed from the set because of that. But yeah, what else can I say. The show was great.

After Turku show we hurried straight to Helsinki. We went to sleep at the doors of Hartwall arena so we could get a spot in the front again. Crazy, mad and insane. But me and my friends are experienced with winter queuing and shared our blankets with other people who were not fully prepared for a cold weather. We got the spot in the front again and so the show began. 

And what a show it was. Truly a magical experience. The band was on fire! Tech guys actually said that it was like they had been practising for six weeks just for this show, because it was so perfect and everything went just how it should. Also this show was a very emotional one as you could imagine. In addition to it being the last show of the tour, Kai took the mic and told us that the drum tech Ulsch would be retired after the show. It was a beautiful moment when the band thanked Ulsch for those 19 years that he shared with the band. And Floor began to cry during Ghost Love Score. She apologised and said that all this was just too much to take in. 

So, no surprises at Hartwall. Netta played there as well but it was not a surprise really. But you know, I didn't miss anything. The show was just so perfect. I know I have been critising the setlist and told how the magic is gone blah blah, but now I disagree. The setlist had something for everyone so it was actually a very smart set. And I really felt all the songs, also "the dull crowdpleasers". The connection between the band and the audience was amazing. And we made Marco laugh again :D

So, thank you Nightwish. This was a perfect ending for this tour. Yesterday I had a really bad physical and emotional "hangover" and didn't feel good at all, but now that the headache and nausea are gone I could write about my experiences. Farewell Decades tour, welcome album #9 era!!

55 minutes ago, Baki said:

No, but they are taking away the chance of reliving those similar moments and atmosphere now, in the present. 

Think of NW music as your wife/husband. Sure, you'll always have nice photos and memories of your honeymoon, but it would definitely be swell if there was some of that fire and passion still in your present relationship. 

And don't get me wrong, welcome to the forum, it's great getting new people here. But the only thing that is more redundant than complaining on a forum is complaining about complaining on the forum. I agree there is a whole lot of criticism here that I personally disagree with, but if those people feel like it, let them vent out their opinion. Just like they can ignore new NW music or setlist, you can also ignore their posts. Unless they get really offensive or tacky, which very seldom happens here. After all, I DO want to believe that all people here, criticising or praising, are indeed NW fans, because who would otherwise waste their time on an internet forum in 2018, and some people have been doing that here for many many years. 

Welcome to the forum again! 

Thank you. I have to agree with you that people are of course allowed and welcome to state their opinions towards the band whether they are positive or negative. We all have something we wish the band did differently. But when EVERYTHING you say (and I don't mean this personally to you or anyone but in general) is CONSTANTLY negative and you are trashing the band in every turn possible (Emppu & Tuomas being lazy, Troy destroying the band, Marco being stiff, not liking a particular singer etc.)  I have to question if he/she is really happy being on this forum? Like you said I also hope that everyone here is a fan even if they don't agree with everything the band does but if one doesn't agree with ANYTHING the band has been doing in recent years is this really a place for him/her?

You mentioned that Nigtwish music is like a marriage. I also like to think of it as such. In every relationship there are ups and downs which is completely natural and you always remember the good old passionate days of love and long for them. But as the years pass the relationship changes and evolves. For some the love deepens even if it's not the same kind of young wild love it was when you first met. There are of course little things here and there that you don't like, some habits or other things but you love the other nonetheless. You become lifelong companions.

But in some marriages people become fundamentally unsatisfied with one another. Everything about the the other just completely irritates and annoys you. You try to hang on to the old memories but they are never coming back no matter how hard you tried. You've simply grown apart. At that point it is relevant to consider whether or not this relationship is really worth all the trouble, sorrow and anger. Would someone else make you happier? Maybe it's time to end the marriage? You still have all the memories to cherish no matter what but it's important to understand that your other half is a completely new person than he/she was 20 years ago. Then it might be a time to let go and stop ruining each others lives any further.

Sorry for this long post. I'm in no way trying to offend anyone or point fingers. I just wanted to make it clear what I meant. I'm no way against stating opinions but some of the overflowing, endless and constant negativity that I've been sensing here from some people over the years just makes me wonder does being here really make them happy. Maybe it does because they still seem to be here even if they have NOTHING positive to say. I just don't know why :dunno:

1 hour ago, Vattep said:

Thank you. I have to agree with you that people are of course allowed and welcome to state their opinions towards the band whether they are positive or negative. We all have something we wish the band did differently. But when EVERYTHING you say (and I don't mean this personally to you or anyone but in general) is CONSTANTLY negative and you are trashing the band in every turn possible (Emppu & Tuomas being lazy, Troy destroying the band, Marco being stiff, not liking a particular singer etc.)  I have to question if he/she is really happy being on this forum? Like you said I also hope that everyone here is a fan even if they don't agree with everything the band does but if one doesn't agree with ANYTHING the band has been doing in recent years is this really a place for him/her?

You mentioned that Nigtwish music is like a marriage. I also like to think of it as such. In every relationship there are ups and downs which is completely natural and you always remember the good old passionate days of love and long for them. But as the years pass the relationship changes and evolves. For some the love deepens even if it's not the same kind of young wild love it was when you first met. There are of course little things here and there that you don't like, some habits or other things but you love the other nonetheless. You become lifelong companions.

But in some marriages people become fundamentally unsatisfied with one another. Everything about the the other just completely irritates and annoys you. You try to hang on to the old memories but they are never coming back no matter how hard you tried. You've simply grown apart. At that point it is relevant to consider whether or not this relationship is really worth all the trouble, sorrow and anger. Would someone else make you happier? Maybe it's time to end the marriage? You still have all the memories to cherish no matter what but it's important to understand that your other half is a completely new person than he/she was 20 years ago. Then it might be a time to let go and stop ruining each others lives any further.

Sorry for this long post. I'm in no way trying to offend anyone or point fingers. I just wanted to make it clear what I meant. I'm no way against stating opinions but some of the overflowing, endless and constant negativity that I've been sensing here from some people over the years just makes me wonder does being here really make them happy. Maybe it does because they still seem to be here even if they have NOTHING positive to say. I just don't know why :dunno:

All very legit, but to be honest, I did not spot here forum members that ONLY moan and criticise, not to mention outright offend band members, without saying anything remotely positive. There were couple of such cases, but as far as I got most of them are gone from the forum. 

To go back to marriage example, sometimes kids and house mortgage prevents you from divorcing so easily. And that is also fine, as long as children do not suffer for it. :p

Maybe it's just me, but I always prefer more polemical discussions, even about such trivial things as music, so my threshold of being fed up with criticism is probably a bit higher than for most people. That's why I avoid FB comments sections in a wide circle. 

1 minute ago, Baki said:

All very legit, but to be honest, I did not spot here forum members that ONLY moan and criticise, not to mention outright offend band members, without saying anything remotely positive. There were couple of such cases, but as far as I got most of them are gone from the forum. 

To go back to marriage example, sometimes kids and house mortgage prevents you from divorcing so easily. And that is also fine, as long as children do not suffer for it. :p

Maybe it's just me, but I always prefer more polemical discussions, even about such trivial things as music, so my threshold of being fed up with criticism is probably a bit higher than for most people. That's why I avoid FB comments sections in a wide circle. 

Yes I know these cases as well and you're right, all the worst offenders have already probably left for good. And I do agree that it would surely be boring if everyone were praising the band all the time. Different opinions are a good thing as long as they are presented in a somewhat respectful manner :good:

I also find it nice that everyone can find something in Nightwish that they like and I personally think that this Decades setlist offers little something for everyone. It has those folky vibes (I Want My Tears Back, Elvenjig, Swanheart), power metal vibes (Sacrament Of Wilderness, Elvenpath, Last Ride Of The Day), the hits (Nemo, Wish I Had An Angel, Elan), the heavy stuff (Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean, Slaying The Dreamer, The Kinslayer, 10th Man Down), softer ones (Dead Boy's Poem, The Carpenter), epics (The Greatest Show On Earth, Ghost Love Score) etc. Of course everyone wants that their favourite type of songs from the discography would be more present but like I said it's impossible to please everyone and I think the band has made quite a good job in selecting the setlist. I hope that their future setlists would do structurally something similiar even if they are promoting the new album and those songs are naturally in the front.

3 hours ago, TheSnowyOwl said:

Then time for a Turku show six days after. Very fun show! I was in the front row as usual and you could see that the band had fun as well. Marco laughed at us when we did some pararararas with my friends during Gethsemane :D That pararara guy is a true legend.

What?? He was there for the show in Turku?? Seriously, I'll need to get a job like the one he has.

3 hours ago, TheSnowyOwl said:

And Floor began to cry during Ghost Love Score. She apologised and said that all this was just too much to take in.

So sweet!! She definitely loves the song. Looking forward to those vids.

I'm so happy for all the people who could enjoy the Decades live experience more than twice. I got the chance to catch them only twice and it wasn't enough at all. Hopefully we'll get the DVD in the following months (I guess it won't be this year) to relive those feelings once again.

9 hours ago, Magnus said:

Excatly. Wishmaster and Dark Chest of Wonders seem like obvious choices for bonus material, along with a performance with Tapio as a guest. Hopefully they filmed some of them, even if they didn't use any high-tech equipment.

I mean it's 2018, you can capture full-quality live sound with a laptop plugged into the table via USB now so I'm almost certain they did get some of the songs with Tapio/Netta recorded.

On 12/14/2018 at 9:22 PM, KebabScout said:

Honestly gonna be pretty pissed if they throw all the magic pixie dust they can find in Helsinki and gave us next to nothing.

That aged well. Yeah, no. Really, it wasn't bad. I'm just mostly disappointed that Papa Wilska didn't hop on stage for 10th and Devil. It was an amazing show, shouldn't complain like this lol.

Please avoid double posting. Use the edit button to add more content to your latest post. -Damian.

9 hours ago, Vattep said:

If someone feels that Nightwish is not for them anymore just find something else to listen to. There are a lot of symphonic metal bands who play faster, heavier and more aggressively than Nightwish if that's what you're looking for. Try out Epica or Xandria for instance. Nightwish is Nightwish and they keep changing and evolving (or devolving depending on how you feel) and that's exactly what they should keep on doing.

Pretty much why I jumped ship to Battle Beast, but even then Battle Beast can't sell out Wembley Arena. 

It's about power and using it to preserve and give back to the scene.  Out of those bands Nightwish has the most by a large margin