Marius

Decades World Tour 2018

2,356 posts in this topic

Ohh I like this accordion girl in Wishmaster!

Also, sorry Floor, but Tarja's classical vocals and Tapio's growling in The Devil are much better together...

On 12/20/2018 at 2:21 PM, Stargazer_Voyager said:

Yes:

But I remember Tuomas saying in an interview, that Floor was very sick in Colombia so they won´t have much material to use from that gig.

Anyways, Argentina must have been great!

8 hours ago, Somebody's Lass said:

Also, sorry Floor, but Tarja's classical vocals and Tapio's growling in The Devil are much better together... 

I have to strongly disagree with this. Floor owns this song the same way she owns Romanticide. There are many songs from their first three albums where I think Tarja's vocals are absolute perfection even if Floor does a really good job too (Dead Boy's Poem for example)... but when it comes to the more aggressive and heavier stuff Floor has her beat any day of the week since she actually brings some metal to the table with her singing.

Personally, I prefer Floor + Marco in this song though, even if Floor + Tapio is okay (but they have zero chemistry on stage).

^ I think Floor and Tarja both do a great job of the song. Floor brings a more metal edge to the song, but I think Tarja's voice has a slightly "darker" tone to it, which I like, and I think her classical singing style gave more of a contrast between the two "characters" of the song. I'd happily listen to either of them sing it.

But sorry to say, I just can't get behind Marco as the "Devil" in the same way that I can with Wilska. I think it's partly down to preference of voice types - Wilska's got a deeper, darker, more sinister delivery compared to Marco's higher sound. But it's also something in the delivery - Wilska delivers the lines like a dramatic monologue, but with a bit of a metal edge. It feels like he's read the lyrics, he understands how to deliver them - when to pause, when to emphasise, etc.- whereas Marco's delivery sometimes feels like he's kind of rushing the words together, or is emphasising along with the music rather than where makes sense in the text. He definitely does the "sinister" sound, but I didn't feel drawn in to the "story" in the same way. Don't know if that makes sense?

I mean, Marco's a good singer, and there are absolutely Nightwish songs where he shines. But I don't think Devil (or 10th Man Down, for that matter) is one of them.

--

On a different topic, I know that a lot of these songs are getting retired after this tour. Leaving aside Sacrament and The Carpenter, since we know they're going, which songs from this tour would you pick to become part of their "setlist rotation" in future tours, given the choice? Maybe a limit of 3? I'm excluding songs like Nemo, Amaranth, Elan etc. from the list as they're almost certainly not getting retired.

Personally, I would pick:

1) End of All Hope (I get that they eventually went off it as an opening song, but it's still a good number - even if they just add it to a European tour leg so those of us who didn't get to hear it this time around get the chance).

2) Gethsemane (Purely biased, it's my favourite Nightwish song. I was sort of half expecting to feel hyper critical of it because I love the album version so much, but no, I was much too overcome by the hype of seeing it live at all).

3) Slaying the Dreamer (Floor does a cracking job on this song. As we all knew she would, let's be honest. Her and Marco shouting together in the end section gives it a bit of added punch. Plus it's a great song for headbanging to).

Honorable mention goes to Deep Silent Complete (same reason as EOAH, basically).

I agree with End of all hope, and would of liked them to keep it in the set list, instead of reverting back to Dark chest of wonders, although I think it is a good song.

2. Devil and the deep dark ocean is a must for me, I love Floors acting in this song

3, I like 10th man down, but agree with your assessment of slaying the dreamer, Floor and Marco at the end shouting in the end section is punchy.
I love last ride of the day, but assume it is in the same section  as Elan, Amaranth etc,

My favourite vocals from Marco is with Tarot, and the song Tides, very powerful
Anyway here is another of those 360 overcaptures, Elan

On 12/20/2018 at 10:47 PM, ARROW said:

Is it confirmed that there is going to be a live Blu-Ray / DVD of the Decades tour? :scratchhead:

Definitely :) Tuomas has confirmed it a few times, and Marco has said the release date is likely sometime next year (I'm hoping not another December release, especially if Album 9 is early 2020). My best guess would be sometime in July/August.

17 hours ago, Somebody's Lass said:

Ohh I like this accordion girl in Wishmaster!

I'm torn on this. I like the album version with Tarja and Tapio but Floor and Marco's version has really grown on me as the tour has gone on. Marco's delivery has imo improved a lot over the course of the tour, though I do agree that his tempo sometimes wanders a bit. I guess it might be a tough song to perform for him since in the original version the bass and the vocals were done by two people instead of one?

As to the setlist, I'd definitely like to keep Slaying the Dreamer, there is such a great energy to the song and I think Floor definitely has made it her own. Don't see much chance for End of All Hope, I feel it is not a song where Floor really shines and that there is a reason they removed it from the set-list for Dark Chest of Wonders. I'm sad that Elvenpath will likely leave the set-list permanently, I really like the song despite the somewhat cheesy lyrics. 

12 hours ago, Himiko said:

--

On a different topic, I know that a lot of these songs are getting retired after this tour. Leaving aside Sacrament and The Carpenter, since we know they're going, which songs from this tour would you pick to become part of their "setlist rotation" in future tours, given the choice? Maybe a limit of 3? I'm excluding songs like Nemo, Amaranth, Elan etc. from the list as they're almost certainly not getting retired.

Listening to this Interview with Tuomas posted below, I don't think any of the songs apart from the ones you mentioned will be played on the next tour, although he doesn't actually say that they wont,  I think he intimates this by saying that the singers must have found it difficult to sing the lyrics to some of the songs.
I found it interesting that  when asked about anything new he would like to achieve with Nightwish, He said "to play in Iceland, the African continent, And with an Orchestra.

13 hours ago, clockend said:

Listening to this Interview with Tuomas posted below, I don't think any of the songs apart from the ones you mentioned will be played on the next tour, although he doesn't actually say that they wont,  I think he intimates this by saying that the singers must have found it difficult to sing the lyrics to some of the songs.
I found it interesting that  when asked about anything new he would like to achieve with Nightwish, He said "to play in Iceland, the African continent, And with an Orchestra.

That really is disappointing... a lot of the songs on this tour have been so much better than the staples of the last few tours. I’d much rather Deep Silent Complete than Ever Dream and much prefer Slaying the Dreamer over Storytime; for instance. 

Maybe I’m a little biased to this tour; I don’t know. It’s just been amazing to have a Nightwish tour that isn’t supporting a particular album that dominates half the setlist with the regular staples thrown in as crowd pleasers. It’s been nice to have variety.

7 hours ago, The_Black_Rose said:

That really is disappointing... a lot of the songs on this tour have been so much better than the staples of the last few tours. I’d much rather Deep Silent Complete than Ever Dream and much prefer Slaying the Dreamer over Storytime; for instance. 

Maybe I’m a little biased to this tour; I don’t know. It’s just been amazing to have a Nightwish tour that isn’t supporting a particular album that dominates half the setlist with the regular staples thrown in as crowd pleasers. It’s been nice to have variety.

Yeah, but we have to remember that certain old songs might be boring for Tuomas and Emppu (and possibly Marco) to play since they have played them already in the past. Back then they didn't have so many songs so there was little possibility for variety. 

By the way, I just found out that they have played Moondance once some time during Oceanborn era :D what a performance it must have been, haha! 

8 hours ago, The_Black_Rose said:

I agree with you about keeping in a few of the songs on this tour maybe they will,  but must admit I like  Ever Dream, It seemed to go down well at Downloads 2016 with Iron Maiden on the bands list.
I like Story time too,  the  Tampere rendition when floor was holding on to her dress, Reminded me of the Marilyn Monroe scene in the film Seven Year Itch.
I totally respect your opinion though,  I was playing  Angels Fall First the song, and thought the guitar sound reminded me of Ritchie Blackmore nights,
But that's probably just me.

On 12/22/2018 at 1:22 AM, Himiko said:

I really liked Floor's rendition of Sacrament Of Wilderness but I remember Tuomas stating that at least it and The Carpenter won't be played again (and I think that will most likely include Elvenpath too) so I will exclude those. I really wish they would keep:

1) Slaying The Dreamer. Floor just really shines here with her aggressive vocals and truly makes the song her own. Her version is now the definitive version for me and I'm really looking forward to getting the official recording of this.

2) Dead Boy's Poem. I've just always loved this song and I really liked the new rendition with Floor's soft vocals and those acoustic guitars and bouzuki. I would have wished for a bit more operatic vocal approach with the last "A lonely soul, an ocean soul" part but that's just a minor thing.

3) Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean. This was just perfect! Like some of you already said it took some time to get used to Marco's vocals but he really improved along the way. I especially liked the way he sang (or actually screamed) the line "hail the oceanborn" whereas in Tapio's rendition that line is kinda buried underneath. I witnessed this song with both of them during this tour and I enjoyed both performances equally. I was afraid that this song is getting dropped along with Elvenpath, The Carpenter etc. but I recently stumbled upon two new interviews by Marco and in both of them he said that the song he liked to play most on this tour was this song so that gives me at least some hope that we might perhaps hear it again in the future :pardon:

Can you link to the interviews? I always like to read new ones.

Merry Christmas or Happy Yule, or whatever you celebrate or don't - to you forum people!

13 hours ago, Eilenna said:

Can you link to the interviews? I always like to read new ones.

Sure! Here in this Italian interview (video below) he actually says that Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean was quite challenging for him because he hadn't played it before but says that he likes challenges which is why he enjoys performing it.  And in this interview (https://www.rocker.si/marco-hietala-nightwish-boycott-trendy-instant-music/) he also mentions the song saying that he needed some practise with it. There was also a third interview where he was asked about his favourite old song on this tour and he comes up with DATDDO and that he liked doing the song because of its aggressive vocals and complex basslines but I couldn't find it anymore :dunno: 

Also happy holidays to everyone! :)

Old songs from this tour I hope they keep in upcoming setlists:

• Slaying the Dreamer- Like others said, Floor was amazing with this song. It really showcases her aggressive vocals, and it is quite a crowd pleaser. I hope the band realized this after playing it all tour and decides to bring it back again in the future.
  • Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean- Another song Floor owned really well this tour. Also a new crowd pleaser I think. Fans who never really connected to Oceanborn I think found this song to be excellent live.
  • Dead Boy's Poem- Another song Floor nailed, and I think certainly deserves to have the spotlight again down the road.

I am now anxiously awaiting news on the DVD. It was my hopes we would get it this Spring sometime. I suppose that is always possible if they started working on it months ago. In the meantime, I guess my attention is now to Within Temptation while we wait for Nightwish to release more music early next year.

3 minutes ago, CenturyChild625 said:

while we wait for Nightwish to release more music early next year.

I love the fact that we can now say we will hear new Nightwish music....next year!!! :)

I agree with your picks for upcoming setlists, but I don't know if I'm optimistic that we'll get Dead Boy's Poem in the future.  It's magnificent, but it is an older, slower, longer song...which I'm not confident will make the cut for a standard new-album show.  But I could be proven wrong.  I hope I'm proven wrong!!

As for Slaying the Dreamer, it better be in future set lists!!  (Mostly because I still have yet to hear it live and I really want to!!)  It's an amazing song live and I hope the band realizes how much it energizes the crowd!!!  Please please please :)

I suppose we could even see the album the end of this year. Tuomas said in a recent interview he (or we?) should have it in our hands by the end of 2019. But, realistically, I see early 2020. I guess that discussion thread about the next album will be picking-up again over the next year. Can't wait for it :D .