Marius

Decades World Tour 2018

2,356 posts in this topic

Damn the video quality of these is so good. Can't wait for the full concert coming next week.

But when next week? I’ve got the week off work so from Monday I’m just going to be hitting refresh on YouTube all week lol.

Hope one of the European shows will be on DVD too. Prague or Krakow would be nice. 

11 minutes ago, L_Alpenglow said:

The full concert will be this Friday at 2.00pm!

Its amazing how much a band can change. They are sterile as rocks. 

5 minutes ago, GreatEye said:

It's Tuomas headbanging, isn't it? :P:) 

(Also, I thought you had appreciated their recent shows..??)

5 minutes ago, Encaitar said:

It's Tuomas headbanging, isn't it? :P:) 

(Also, I thought you had appreciated their recent shows..??)

It doesn't matter. 
You don't see the difference?

Oh I definitely see it.  But everyone seems to enjoy these recent shows so much, I have stayed quiet haha.  (I don't want to stir up controversy...)  But yeah, watch the two Amaranth videos and just track the movement/engagement of the band members.  As skilled as Kai is, I really do miss Jukka's flair.  But like I said, I don't want to cause trouble when everyone seems to be enjoying recent Nightwish so much.

4 minutes ago, Encaitar said:

Oh I definitely see it.  But everyone seems to enjoy these recent shows so much, I have stayed quiet haha.  (I don't want to stir up controversy...)  But yeah, watch the two Amaranth videos and just track the movement/engagement of the band members.

Oh my god, the truth has been spoken! 

As skilled as Kai is, I really do miss Jukka's flair.  But like I said, I don't want to cause trouble when everyone seems to be enjoying recent Nightwish so much.

Jukka will give them injection of enthusiasm for sure. The same reason i hope for Jukka back.

Uhh...do we have to fin every little thing to complain about? I mean, if it's not about the singer, then it's about the setlist, then it's about how "they do not perform with energy anymore". I don't actually see that, I'm sorry. I was first row at the show some months ago and serioulsy there wasn't any difference between the video you posted and what I experienced. People just like to complain for the sake of complaining...

56 minutes ago, L_Alpenglow said:

The full concert will be this Friday at 2.00pm!

Ok!! :D

14 minutes ago, Symphoniker said:

Uhh...do we have to fin every little thing to complain about? I mean, if it's not about the singer, then it's about the setlist, then it's about how "they do not perform with energy anymore". I don't actually see that, I'm sorry. I was first row at the show some months ago and serioulsy there wasn't any difference between the video you posted and what I experienced. People just like to complain for the sake of complaining...

Yep. And i have a right. Who are you to stop me?

You must be living in some old communist country and you accept everything the government serves to you. Or some professional deformation. You dont have complains in your life. The life is too good to be true for you, right?

Metalheads are haters dude. Not haters just because, but they usually have thinned taste for music and everything, so yeah, i search for perfection. 

5 minutes ago, GreatEye said:

Not haters just because, but they usually have thinned taste for music and everything, so yeah, i search for perfection. 

good one

Metalhead:

Listens to bands who use the same three riffs over and over again "This is perfection".

A band who tires something new: "Poseurs, they are sold-outs"

No, thanks :)

I like this version, The crowd are exuberant here, has a good atmosphere, still from 2018

21 hours ago, GreatEye said:

I don't know if it has anything to do with this but back in 2008 Amaranth was a rather new song and they were still enthusiastic playing it. It's been ten years so maybe that's not the song they enjoy playing the most nowadays (I guess switching it to Last Ride of the Day for the European leg of the Decades tour kind of proves my point as they seemed very happy playing that song at least in Helsinki where I saw them). At the same show they were all headbanging like hell during Slaying The Dreamer and The Kinslayer for instance so I think it just depends on a song really. Also every gig is different. Wouldn't be too worried about that :good: 

Also they're not in their twenties anymore so comparing their current stage movement to From Wishes To Eternity for example seems kinda unfair and pointless. They were a bunch of kids back in the day. I think it's not that they don't have the energy to do it (of course that might also be partly true who knows) but maybe they just don't enjoy jumping, running and headbanging like teenagers all the time anymore. I think that's only natural. And before someone starts comparing them with metal bands like Iron Maiden whose members are in their 60s and still keep doing all that stuff I have to point out that Nightwish has never actually been a metal band in the most traditional sense has it? Wasn't it actually Marco who said that he considers Nightwish more like a progressive rock band with elements of different genres of metal mixed in here and there?

22 minutes ago, Vattep said:

Also they're not in their twenties anymore so comparing their current stage movement to From Wishes To Eternity for example seems kinda unfair and pointless. They were a bunch of kids back in the day. I think it's not that they don't have the energy to do it (of course that might also be partly true who knows) but maybe they just don't enjoy jumping, running and headbanging like teenagers all the time anymore. I think that's only natural. 

Thank you!

Side note when comparing those performances, just when you think Anette cannot possibly change the ending of a note, she somehow still does :P

33 minutes ago, Vattep said:

Also they're not in their twenties anymore so comparing their current stage movement to From Wishes To Eternity for example seems kinda unfair and pointless. They were a bunch of kids back in the day. I think it's not that they don't have the energy to do it (of course that might also be partly true who knows) but maybe they just don't enjoy jumping, running and headbanging like teenagers all the time anymore. I think that's only natural. 

I will let you to google the age of the rhcp members

*shrug* I'd rather have better playing and less head-banging than the other way around as it was in 2008, when imo the band was at its lowest point with its live performances (and not only due to Annettes vocals). I like the current energy that they bring on stage, it suits the songs and their kind of music. 

39 minutes ago, GreatEye said:

I will let you to google the age of the rhcp members

I'm very familiar with RHCP thank you :rolleyes: Everyone has their own taste but Nightwish is Nightwish and not RHCP or any other rock or metal band for that matter. They're doing their own thing and it seems that they enjoy doing what they do and the way they do it today and it shows. I think everyone who has seen any of their recent live shows can agree that they look a lot happier nowadays.

22 minutes ago, icebreaker said:

*shrug* I'd rather have better playing and less head-banging than the other way around as it was in 2008, when imo the band was at its lowest point with its live performances (and not only due to Annettes vocals). I like the current energy that they bring on stage, it suits the songs and their kind of music. 

I completely agree

Tuomas has actually said (don't remember where, a Finnish interview I believe) that his neck is a bit injured because of all the headbanging. I just hope he won't make it worse 'cause he's still headbanding like crazy :swoon:

44 minutes ago, TheSnowyOwl said:

Tuomas has actually said (don't remember where, a Finnish interview I believe) that his neck is a bit injured because of all the headbanging. I just hope he won't make it worse 'cause he's still headbanding like crazy :swoon:

He should ask Floor for some advice on that :P

I do think Nightwish could stand to move around on stage and do a bit more audience interaction. It doesn't necessarily need to be headbanging, but a bit more interacting with each other, or getting the audience involved by getting them to sing parts of the song, or cheer/clap/jump/headbang (there was a bit of this in IWMTB when I saw them during Decades, in fairness). Good banter with the audience can work well, but in truth Nightwish's (by which I mean: Marco's) has often been quite cringey (Open letter jokes, anyone?), so I'm OK with them skipping that. Say what you will about Anette, and she certainly had her flaws, but she rarely lacked for enthusiasm on the stage.

All that said, I would say that the quality of the instrumental and vocal performances of the band has definitely improved since 2008, and the Decades setlist was, IMO, their best in many, many years. I think that's what a lot of people are praising, and I'm definitely happy to trade that for a little less "stage presence".