Marius

Decades World Tour 2018

2,355 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, TheSnowyOwl said:

Tuomas has actually said (don't remember where, a Finnish interview I believe) that his neck is a bit injured because of all the headbanging. I just hope he won't make it worse 'cause he's still headbanding like crazy :swoon:

Please, if you have a time, find that article and post it here or sent me in pm. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get the constant complains about them being stiff on stage. Have you guys actually attended a concert and seen that yourself?

When I saw them in Gothenburg in November the band was very energic and interactive. I was at the front row and they fooled with us all the time (making faces, pointing, arm gestures, smiling etc). In all the heavy songs there were headbanging from Tuomas, Marco and Floor. They also did a lot of interaction with each other during the whole gig. (Floor and Emppu for example, they seems to like each other a lot on stage. Same with Marco and Troy). It's a very fun show, not the type of constant-headbanging-metal-show that you expect from the metal scene in general, but a fun and mature show which showcases skillful musicianship, storytelling and beauty of music.

Point is, I think they adjust their performance, movements and interactions based on the song's mood, message and story, which makes sense to me. A lot of you who criticize seems to just base it on that it does not fit your ideal metal show, while the band's audience seems to be overall very happy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@GreatEye Yeah, I can try to find it. But Tuomas also did two hour-long interviews on Finnish radio stations so that quote may be found from either of those :D There's much material to search... But there were so interesting discussions on those radio interviews that I'm happy to listen to them again. No dull questions that have already been asked hundreds of times before!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't there also an interview with Tuomas during the Imaginaerum tour where he said that he asked his band mates to tone down their activities on stage so not to distract from the audio experience  of the music or something to that effect? Or did I imagine that, it was a long time ago after all :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marius said:

I don't get the constant complains about them being stiff on stage. Have you guys actually attended a concert and seen that yourself?

When I saw them in Gothenburg in November the band was very energic and interactive. I was at the front row and they fooled with us all the time (making faces, pointing, arm gestures, smiling etc). In all the heavy songs there were headbanging from Tuomas, Marco and Floor. They also did a lot of interaction with each other during the whole gig. (Floor and Emppu for example, they seems to like each other a lot on stage. Same with Marco and Troy). It's a very fun show, not the type of constant-headbanging-metal-show that you expect from the metal scene in general, but a fun and mature show which showcases skillful musicianship, storytelling and beauty of music.

Point is, I think they adjust their performance, movements and interactions based on the song's mood, message and story, which makes sense to me. A lot of you who criticize seems to just base it on that it does not fit your ideal metal show, while the band's audience seems to be happy very overall. 

Agree with you, and in my opinion they seemed even more confident with each other than on EFMB tour. That's why I enjoy being in the front row even though sound quality isn't the best - it's so fun to see their faces and how they enjoy being on stage.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, TheSnowyOwl said:

Agree with you, and in my opinion they seemed even more confident with each other than on EFMB tour. That's why I enjoy being in the front row even though sound quality isn't the best - it's so fun to see their faces and how they enjoy being on stage.  

Good point, the confidence part made me realize the word I was looking for - 'friendship'. Their friendship was blooming and so visible during the Decades tour. They were happy and confident, and it showed during the show and their performance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My personal experience at shows this year too were that they were very interactive and the show was full of a ton of energy both on and off stage. Especially the second show I went to, and this was very early on the Decades tour. It was by far my favorite show of 2018. The band was in a great mood, and they fed on our energy and we fed on theirs. And having seen them live 3 times with Anette and now 5 times with Floor, I still feel the shows with Floor are levels above any of the shows I went to with Anette, and it has everything to do with the current chemistry of the band (Floor's powerhouse vocals help too ;) ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, CenturyChild625 said:

My personal experience at shows this year too were that they were very interactive and the show was full of a ton of energy both on and off stage. Especially the second show I went to, and this was very early on the Decades tour. It was by far my favorite show of 2018. The band was in a great mood, and they fed on our energy and we fed on theirs. And having seen them live 3 times with Anette and now 5 times with Floor, I still feel the shows with Floor are levels above any of the shows I went to with Anette, and it has everything to do with the current chemistry of the band (Floor's powerhouse vocals help too ;) ).

I think this video bears out what you experienced, Although I understand that it was the last show of the decades tour, They would want to put a great performance in.
There seems a good chemistry on stage with Emppu and FLoor
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, maybe with Anette they were more active on stage but did not see chemistry between them at all, unlike now IMO:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, L_Alpenglow said:

Honestly, maybe with Anette they were more active on stage but did not see chemistry between them at all, unlike now IMO:P

Definitely! :D

Just found!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NIGHTWISH - Full Set Performance - Bloodstock 2018 is now streaming on youtube.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously not the highest quality mastering or anything. But, this does have me more excited for the eventual DVD which should hopefully have great quality, better sound, and a much longer setlist. Really hoping we don't have to wait until the fall for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such good memories. I was right at the front, tired from a long weekend & ready to go home but that Nightwish set was great. I prefered BOA to Wembley this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This line-up is the gift that keeps on giving <3

Marco actually sounds really menacing in this performance of Devil & the Deep Dark Ocean. I hope he sounds this good in the Buenos Aires performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great full show, significantly better than their Wacken performance, imo! 

Other highlights apart from the already mentioned Devil for me are a really good live performance of Nemo (Marco even started headbanging to it, lol), a really fun and energetic Greatest Show and Earth and capping it off with an amazing Ghost Love Score. Tuomas was going wild during that and I love the joking between Emppu and Floor at the end! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I admit it: everytime I watch D&DDO all my attention goes to Floor and Marco. I can only spot Tuomas and Kai when the fast-tempo section comes. And when I'm finally at the end section "we shall cooome", it's like my attention just drops and I'm out of the song.

And I guess that's why I've never seen Troy playing the guitar in THAT part. I just watched the Bloodstock performance and I heard a guitar that NEVER wasn't there for me, I was like "ok, that's new!!", then I saw Troy on stage.

Has he always been there for this particular song? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved the show! I definitely feel like the band had way more fun in the seсond part of the setlist but the entire performanсe was wonderful, and I loved the little bits of interaсtion between them - even though not muсh was to be seen as the сamera was mostly foсusing on Floor only or on the whole stage from a distanсe. I do hope we'll get to see a little more of them on the DVD. Also, I know it's a сontroversial topiс around here, but I for one quite like the sсreens. I think they work pretty well for the kind of musiс they play and the kind of show they're aiming for. Yeah, they сould be slightly smaller, but they still work for me.

Listening to the gig I realised that I don't сare that muсh about EOAH, I don't know if it was just beсause I wasn't in the mood for it or whatever - but I think I get why they switсhed it to DСOW. In general EOAH might be slightly better and is played way less but there was something about it that was just a little... Meh. It was good but nothing more.

Anyway - great gig! Сan't wait for the DVD!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

End of all Hope and Ameranth (unfortunately, as it's one of their biggest and most successfull singles) were the two weakest pieces for me. I can totally see why they switched them out of the set-list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Damian said:

OK, I admit it: everytime I watch D&DDO all my attention goes to Floor and Marco. I can only spot Tuomas and Kai when the fast-tempo section comes. And when I'm finally at the end section "we shall cooome", it's like my attention just drops and I'm out of the song.

And I guess that's why I've never seen Troy playing the guitar in THAT part. I just watched the Bloodstock performance and I heard a guitar that NEVER wasn't there for me, I was like "ok, that's new!!", then I saw Troy on stage.

Has he always been there for this particular song? :P

I think the dolphins bit is the highlight of the song, such a great melody. I like the build up aswell but the finale is the beat bit for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just watched the Bloodstock performance!   IMO, the set list was really good, better than 2018 Wacken's (but the Bloodstock audience seemed less active?).

I'm really happy to get proshot recordings of this and 2018 Wacken, to hold me over till we get the live dvd, which I am sure will be spectacular!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wait to hear Devil with a good audio mix. It also needs to be the first or second live video uploaded on YouTube to promote the official release imo. I'm mostly hoping the mixing is closer to Tampere than Wembley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Magnus said:

I can't wait to hear Devil with a good audio mix. It also needs to be the first or second live video uploaded on YouTube to promote the official release imo. I'm mostly hoping the mixing is closer to Tampere than Wembley.

I know nothing about mixing but that Wembley thing sounds awful. At first I thought it was the YouTube vid then I checked others and was like oh they really did a number on this poor concert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Viper2005 said:

I just watched the Bloodstock performance!   IMO, the set list was really good, better than 2018 Wacken's (but the Bloodstock audience seemed less active?).

I'm really happy to get a proshot recordings of this and 2018 Wacken, to hold me over till we get the live dvd, which I am sure will be spectacular!

They closed the festival on the Sunday & we'd all been there since Thursday. We were all cold, wet & tired haha! This may explain the lack of energy. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad mixing & mastering seems to be a recurring issue with the Finnish bands I listen to, for some reason (that Sonata Arctica "Live in Finland"  DVD says "hi"; whoever mixed that should get jail time; whoever OK'd that mix for release should get even more jail time). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tampere gig was good. Better than both Wacken 2013 and the Wembley gig, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now