Sign in to follow this  
Speckofdust

Ex Libris

6 posts in this topic

Progressive powerhouse Ex Libris entered the world of heavy metal in 2004. Hailing from the Netherlands, a country known for it’s big and diverse female-fronted scene, they stand out as u unique voice within the genre. Classically trained soprano Dianne van Giersbergen soars and whispers throughout big, bombastic songs that are not only impressive in length, but also in sheer, raw power. There’s ample room for progressive licks, melodies and solo’s next to atmospheric and soothing soundscapes. But make no mistake, they put the pedal to the metal. Pounding double bass drums, furious riffs and frighteningly intense vocals all combine to make Ex Libris a singular force in the world of female-fronted music. Expect full-on musicianship, epic songwriting, extreme dynamics and the full emotional spectrum from one of the most gifted sopranos in The Netherlands.

They recorded so far two albums :

Amygdala (2008)

Medea (2014)

This year they will release an album Trilogy titled "ANN" divided into 3 chapters. First chapter will be titled "Anne Boleyn" ;) Each album will have 3 songs as whole trilogy CD will have 9 tracks ;)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1913992631968065&substory_index=0&id=884891704878168

I really like the Xandria stuff with Dianne Van Giersbergen but I think her voice sounds stronger at Xandria than at Ex Lirbis, I also like the music from Xandria much more than the music from Ex Lirbis...

Sooo when the first part of Anne came out, I remember listening to it and actually liking it a lot. But I was not really in the mood so I only listened to it like twice and forgot about it. And today I went back to it, and wow I am blown away. I really liked Dianne in Xandria and I could never get into the previous Ex Libris albums, but this? This is gold! Her voice is perfect and the music is really melodic and powerful as well. Great job! I'll definitely listen to the second part which comes out in March!

So Anastasia Romanova, the second part of their trilogy, is even better than the first one. Wow. The music is great. But Dianne? She's freaking amazing! From the goosebumps-inducing intro of The Healer to the dramatic ending of The Exile (where she does something amazing between singing, speaking and crying). How did this band go from meh (for my tastes) to wow so suddenly? They deserve more fame!

I like the very touching moment of ending part of The Exile. Its like Anastasia enters into heaven and its gloriously welcoming her ;)

19 hours ago, Imagineer said:

How did this band go from meh (for my tastes) to wow so suddenly? They deserve more fame!

I agree. Their first two albums are not my cup of tea, at all. But "Ann 1+ 2" are a pleasure to listen! They have a progressive touch, but in my opinion are not to forced or complex like on their previous releases.

Which woman will be the protagonist in Chapter 3?

My guess is:

Spoiler

Anne Frank. Dianne has said that on the cover-artwork of "Chapter 2" is a hint. If you look in the right corner, you can see a train (as a possible symbol of her and her family's deportation). And she lived most of her life in the Netherlands, the home of Ex Libris.