Sign in to follow this  
Serena

Anette Olzon (2¬ļ part)

206 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Speckofdust said:

I like Silence between the words song ūüėČ

Me too!! :D

I admit it: Sometimes I'm a basic bitch. 

I love the latest single. Probably one of my favourite songs by the Dark Element! 

Can't wait to listen to the album when I'm back in my home country.

14 hours ago, Speckofdust said:

I not like Get out of my head too.. To Whatever End is good track too.Too bad that guitar sound in the chorus of TSBTW track  is so barely hearing its a so  nice melody...

15 hours ago, NeoGeorg said:

I have listened!

Even though they have been experimenting a bit more on this album, it's slightly less interesting than the previous one. But I like it, I should add! I had some worries after the latest two singles, but these worries fortunately turned out unjustified. I enjoyed those songs this time.

Right now I think the first half is stronger, and then it kinda dropped a bit after Pills On My Pillow (Wish I Had An Angel, anyone?), but maybe it's just me not being focused. When sitting down and actively listening, I am distracted by how loud and noisy the songs are at times, and my eternal struggle with Anette's accent. I see myself having this in the background while cooking or cleaning, as I usually do. :rolleyes:

Silence Between The Words is the best track of the bunch, as of now. Get Out Of My Head might be the worst, but that's not important.

Yeah, the lyrics in Get Out of My Head are pretty bad. "Get out of my bed..." Err cringy much? 

Anette did an interview about the album.

Check it out.

@AquilaTempestas Bleh, the whole "Get out of my head, get out of my bed. Get out of my life, get out of my mind" feels so cliché in, yes, a cringy way.

Doesn't stop me from playing Silence Between The Words on repeat. So catchy melody, and it feels more polished than most of their songs. I'm glad it wasn't a single!

Geez, you guys apparently never had a bad breakup. Its a good album, but I need to listen it more thoroughly in the coming days. Seems they aimed for a much more "sympho" sound than on the previous one, which I think was unnecessary. 

4 hours ago, NeoGeorg said:

Bleh, the whole "Get out of my head, get out of my bed. Get out of my life, get out of my mind" feels so cliché in, yes, a cringy way.

The music is AMAZING on that one!!

4 hours ago, Florin said:

Anette did an interview about the album.

Check it out.

Nice one!! :)

Nice talk about the album and their creative process.

BUT, dammit, Pedro! Don't ask about Nightwish! Past is past, and it made the ending really uncomfortable to watch.

Pallbearer is her favorite. Last Good Day on the previous album - that's one of mine too. I agree, they are good themes.

I like their new album. It's a bit too much similar to the previous one, but I still can enjoy it. Super catchy and melodic, but heavier for sure, which was a very positive add in my opinion.

About this interview and the Nightwish subject, I can only regret about her decision. I guess most of the band fanbase wishes for a reunion someday, and she should definitely be a part of it. Perhaps there are still personal things to be settled between her and Tuomas, Jukka and the rest of the guys. And that needs to come first and before any collaboration on the stage. So I keep my fingers crossed to everything be talked and solved in the best way for everyone in a near future.

12 minutes ago, GhostHell said:

. Perhaps there are still personal things to be settled between her and Tuomas, Jukka and the rest of the guys. And that needs to come first and before any collaboration on the stage. So I keep my fingers crossed to everything

Remember Tarja saying pretty similar words not so long ago?

Anyway, the album is cool! :D

18 hours ago, Baki said:

Geez, you guys apparently never had a bad breakup. Its a good album, but I need to listen it more thoroughly in the coming days. Seems they aimed for a much more "sympho" sound than on the previous one, which I think was unnecessary. 

My thoughts exactly :P

All the breakup songs are actually quite touching and relatable. I am 26 and the lyrics for some reason make me feel like a 49 year old divorced man.

I don't see how that's relevant to me not thinking "get out of my head, my bed, my life and my mind" is good writing. It's also about how it's incorporated in the song. Silence Between The Words is also a breakup song, and it's their best song.

I'm liking the album more and more, and warming up to the second half too. Still, I like the seven first tracks the best, and the last four are just ok. Not... perfectly balanced. Maybe they will grow. Maybe I will learn.

On the debut album, I like everything except the ballads. On this one, I don't want to skip the ballads, so that's an improvement.

2 hours ago, NeoGeorg said:

I'm liking the album more and more, and warming up to the second half too. Still, I like the seven first tracks the best,

The first seven tracks are AMAZING! While the last four are just great! Still I give the album 8/10

It's one of the best releases of this year! :)

On 11/9/2019 at 8:50 AM, NeoGeorg said:

BUT, dammit, Pedro! Don't ask about Nightwish! Past is past, and it made the ending really uncomfortable to watch.

Get off your high horse, it was a very fair question (particularly with the Helloween comparison) and is likely something Anette fans wonder about it.  A fair question was asked, and she gave a fair answer.

@JRA Fair. I can see that non-Nightwish/casual fans might be interested in the topic. I personally think it's better left alone, to focus on Anette's success with The Dark Element instead of her past in Nightwish. She and Tarja both seemed to have closed that door permanently long ago, anyway.

Very catchy, very cute, very still in the "acquired  taste"- phase album.The songs are good but the arrangements are lacking. I feel like it got to the point it's heavier than it can be while using those kind of melodies and lyrical themes, with a few notable exceptions.

I feel like there are quite the bunch of award-winning melodies in there, but they simply sound just corny when sung over "chugga-chugga" metal. The few songs that get over that template mostly work ("Get out of my head" is the most appropriate name song I've seen in a looong time).

That said, there a few good, coherent songs "When it all comes down" is such a metal song, probably Anette's heavier? and it works really well (The self reference with the use of the melody from "Last good day" is a bit unearned but whatever).  There's also some Evanescence-Within Temptation thrown in for good measure. It fits Anette, in a kitschy way. The last four songs are quite interesting, actually.

Some of the songs feel "retro" for sure, Abba-metal is a good comparison even Anette makes. I can see it. It works when you're in the mood.

They're a good band. They can take it further. Hope they keep at it for a long time.

Anette really shines in a lot of songs.  I'm always amazed at how her voice never gets to lose its "juvenile shine". This is, obviously, she sounding at her most mature but her voice keeps that energetic edge that give a timeless impression. That said, it shows that she's working with the Alyson Avenue guy in the studio, because there's this subtle "80's filtering" going on that she liked to use in those albums. It fits her voice, and sounds "good", mind you, but it might be prematurely aging a few songs, specially the most modern feeling ones.

A good producer would make gold with these songs. Big producers too. I see a future for them. The songs, at least.

Edit: the lyrics from "Silence between the words"' hit me hard. rip me. The song is kinda corny, however. So sorry.

On 11/9/2019 at 4:38 AM, Baki said:

Seems they aimed for a much more "sympho" sound than on the previous one, which I think was unnecessary. 

Not hearing it tbh.

4 hours ago, Ahasverus said:

Not hearing it tbh.

Could be I imagined it, I only listened to the album twice while working on something. I meant that now there is much more of a "fake orchestra" synth sound, compared to the first album's conventional power metal synths. 

It's an okay album. Some good melodies there for sure. I'm bothered by the lack of innovation, the awkward lyrics and Anette's accent. The accent was never this noticeable on Nightwish albums, I think Troy checked the pronounciation pretty strictly for DPP and IRum. At least that's what he did for EFMB.

Pills on my Pillow is my single favorite song.

I really liked watching the interview. She seems to genuinely happy about the album and it makes me even more excited about finally listening to it this week. It's interesting to know that she still had some creative input when it comes to changing the vocals, melodies and parts of the lyrics. 

The question concerning NW was fair and it wasn't uncomfortable to watch. I think she did answer it in a fair, honest and friendly way. It's indeed a bit sad for NW fans because Anette turned me into a fan but that's life, I guess.

8 hours ago, Ahasverus said:

Some of the songs feel "retro" for sure, Abba-metal is a good comparison even Anette makes. I can see it. It works when you're in the mood.

Aha! So it wasn't me! I got some Abba-metal (Amberian Down) vibes! :D

ABBA-metal is very apt, she really does sound eerily like one of them (or maybe both!)

It's not going to win awards for inventiveness, originality or song-writing, but it's as catchy as hell.  Kind of makes you want to headbang and dance at the same time.

Unashamedly Nightwishy, and I don't have a problem with that - they do it very very well:sunny:

Reading all these comments are making me excited to listen to album. :)  I got it in the mail last Friday and CD is in my car...just need to actually listen to it.  Glad everyone seems to like it so much :D

1 hour ago, Essexboyinwales said:

Unashamedly Nightwishy, and I don't have a problem with that - they do it very very well

Agree!! :D

Seriously, the intro of Not Your Monster reminds me of Bye Bye Beautiful and Alpenglow.

The intro to Songs The Night Sings is kinda Escpaist-y, has already been established.

Silence Between The Worlds does make me think of Edema Ruh at times.

Pills On My Pillow's main riff is also a bit Escapist-y, and reminds me of She Is My Sin. The chorus has a Wish I Had An Angel vibe to it.

A Nightwish will be a Nightwish fan, I suppose. :rolleyes: