Sign in to follow this  
hunebedbouwer

Leonard Cohen

29 posts in this topic

@silverlining

Oi, oi,........ I AM one of these SOME fans!!!!!!!!!!!!

I once bought the back seat of a taxi in which Leonard travelled from Amsterdam-Central to Schiphol Airport!!!!!!! I really had to search and dig deep before I got that taxi back seat!!! The driver wouldn't let go of it, but 5200 euros was enough to persuade him. It now hangs on my wall with other Cohen's precious and outrageous memorabilia................and I do say a little prayer in front of it every morning before breakfast!!!!!

Just kiddin'.....:giggle:

HOWEVER.....I am a massive fan. He's the only singer that I've got a proper 'connection' with and already for more than 40 years. But I don't have anything on the wall from him. It's more a soul thing.

To stay with the current weather.........'Avalanche'

Three versions of 'If it be your will', a special song.

The studio version:

Live:

By the Webb sisters (part of the backing vocals during his last 4/5 tours):

In line with my latest avatar, I feel the need to post some more songs of Leonard.

I did always find the version of the 'Gypsy's wife' on 'Live in Dubin' very good, a bit haunting really.

From his excellent album 'Ten new songs', which paved the way for his return in 2001, 'Boogie street'.

'Different sides' is the last song on 'Old ideas' from 2012. It's by far my favourite of this album and I can listen to it endlessly on repeat. I do find it a kind of hypnotic and also very soothing.

It should have been on 'Dear Heather', but he was convinced by others NOT to put it on that album, because people might suspect it was a retrospective song. But, I think I read or heard it somewhere that it was about his longtime ex-manager (and lover) Kelley Lynch, who disappeared with all his money, but I'm not totally sure. Nevermind, THAT was the reason he needed to earn money again and went on touring again to the utter Delight of me and all his other fans!!!!!

It became a nasty court case, where Lynch was found guilty by a Californian Judge and was made to return everything of what was left of Leonard's money. She was also sent to prison for 18 months and a probation time of 5 years added.

All in all, Leonard toured an awful lot in his later years and did enjoy it immensely. So, at least of good came from something bad. I saw him 4 times (I really should have done it more) in the period 2008-2012 - from his 74th till 78th year!!! - and I will always be so grateful to him. He was magical!!!

Live in Gent, Belgium......