Serena

Within Temptation II

614 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Yoshee said:

Maybe they should find a different label then, after the release delay and all these single edits. :P

I don't know how Universal works with other artists, but Tarja has gone through similar awkward situations with them. From release delay to new tracks replacing others (I mean, we could've had "Love to Hate" in 2010 instead of IFI), video shootings she wasn't confortable with, and actually not distributing physical copies of WLB in countries like France.

Maybe they don't like symphonic metal women so much.

It is kinda weird how they're treating Within Temptation as a pop band with these single edits.  The only one so far that I can at least understand trimming down and making a single edit of thus far is "Raise Your Banner".  The other songs are already short enough for radio airplay, if that's what they're worried about.

In any case, I liked "In Vain" more than I thought I would and I'm excited for the new album. :P 

@Damian

You would think, they would have done some research on their new record company, would you? I mean, it might be one of the biggest record companies around, but that doesn't mean anything. The bigger they are, the less creative integrity they have in general.

Also, they are now one of the many, many other bands Universal have. And WT probably have to comply with more and generic rules and way of producing than before. In the end, Universal is only interested in one thing and that is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, whether you like it or not.

Not sure it was a wise move at all, but a good financial deal and better worldwide promotion was probably the big appeal. I don't know really.

* I'm not so sure (I've only listened to 3 songs so far) that I'm going to like this album. I had different (style/structural) and better (sound wise) expectations. When I listen to 'In vain', it sounds like a My Indigo song, covered in a kind of metal sauce. I kind of like it, but it's not the more organic style I wanted.

Also, it would surprise me, if 'In vain' (certainly at that speed) would be performed live a lot. Because of the speed at which Sharon has to sing those lyrics. That kind of fast singinging does not suit her voice live. She's gonna mash it up when they don't slow the song down a bit!! It's something for a pop singer, who doesn't need/want to  articulate the lyrics that much. Same thing with Floor........her voice is more classically/educated trained (a lot of importance on articulation), so speedy songs are not her thing......like 'Storytime' at Wacken for example.      

3 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

Not sure it was a wise move at all, but a good financial deal and better worldwide promotion was probably the big appeal. I don't know really.

This is what Sharon said when asked about it in a recent interview

You all recently inked a deal with Universal Music Germany…what led to this decision?

Sharon den Adel: The thing that convinced us was a great presentation at their office in Berlin by enthusiastic passioned people with new ideas.

I'm pretty sure I read another interview where Robert also talked more about the meeting and how impressed they were but I can't find it.

I don't know if the bigger label was a great idea either sometimes it's better to be the big fish small pond then the other way around...

11 hours ago, silverlining said:

sometimes it's better to be the big fish small pond then the other way around...

Agree on that! :)

This song is the best one of the new songs released so far. It does resemble My indigo a lot. 

Definitely. I found Firelight quite boring, unlike My Indigo. 

First I listened to this song on the tram while I was going to work, and I was rather underwhelmed. Mostly probably because I was concentrating on the lyrics from the video which is not the most uplifting thing while going to a hospital on a Friday morning. :P But I listened to it again, and I like the My Indigo sound of it a lot more then in the case of Firelight. It's just too short (and a bit repetative), when I felt like ok, this is cool, I enjoy this - it was suddenly over. 

It's a pretty good song, but my favorite from what I've heard from the new album still is Raise Your Banner, and maybe Mercy Mirror, based on the live version. I'm looking forward to finally listen to the full album, no matter that I've already heard 70% of it in a way or another, lmao... Give it to me! 

Yeah, I also like In Vain much more now than the first few times I heard it. And I think it has the best songs out of the other songs. Although RyB is still my favourite I thought that it needed an extra kick in a few places to sound more powerful. And that’s definitely what I thought of the album version of Endless War too. 

Well the full version of the song is now available to stream, luckily didn't take as long this time as it took for the full version of RYB.

I listened to it and quite like it! Definitely a better first impression than Firelight, though I do like that one a lot now. :giggle: