Serena

Within Temptation II

847 posts in this topic

I definitely agree it is a very cohesive sounding album (I still don't really like the EDM thing, but hopefully I'll get used to it).I did like the snippet of the 3 songs I haven't heard at all, and I'm still anticipating the full album. 

Resisting temptation.

Resisting temptation.

Resisting temptation.

I guess I could afford spoiling a bit the ones I've already heard live. Maybe... Hey, so my anticipation for both Mad World and Holy Ground has grown, thanks to a review. Just a bit over a week to go, sooo...

RESISTING TEMPTATION.

2 hours ago, Sophia said:

Samples, if anyone wants to spoil the remaining songs. I did. :P 

What do you think? :D

Mercy Mirror sounds so good, I need the full song in my life right now.

So yeah, this almost confirms Supernova as my favorite from this album as of now. Loved the live version and, again, loving this snippet from the album version. Solid lyrics, too. I'm glad it's the next single. The 3 unheard songs sound great aswell. Trophy Hunter sounds like one the heaviest, like I predicted. Mad World does remind me a bit of Sinéad, as some people had described. That's great. At first, I didn't like Sinéad, but now it's one of my favorite songs. Overall, it does sound very commercial, but again, Hydra sounds very commercial and The Silent Force does, too. Looking forward to it. I find hard to believe the band is ever going to come up with something as amazing as The Unforgiving for me, but, so far, I'm really digging it. 

6 minutes ago, CK Spider said:

I find hard to believe the band is ever going to come up with something as amazing as The Unforgiving

Resist look extra catchy! Me like! :D

Yep. I'll be listening to this a lot. Once it's finally out...

3 hours ago, CK Spider said:

So yeah, this almost confirms Supernova as my favorite from this album as of now. Loved the live version and, again, loving this snippet from the album version. Solid lyrics, too. I'm glad it's the next single. The 3 unheard songs sound great aswell. Trophy Hunter sounds like one the heaviest, like I predicted. Mad World does remind me a bit of Sinéad, as some people had described. That's great. At first, I didn't like Sinéad, but now it's one of my favorite songs. Overall, it does sound very commercial, but again, Hydra sounds very commercial and The Silent Force does, too. Looking forward to it. I find hard to believe the band is ever going to come up with something as amazing as The Unforgiving for me, but, so far, I'm really digging it. 

Odd you hold The Unforgiving so high, it's by far my least favourite album!

Yeah I haven't enjoyed any of the singles really but...the snippet of Endless War was absolutely riveting! I am also starting to really like In Vain and Firelight.

Supernova sounds very commercial, almost like a girl band tune. I am ok with that, because I happened to also really like it!

Sounds like this might actually be their most pop-sounding album so far, judging from those samples.  This is neither a bad nor good thing, and I will withhold judgment until I hear the entire thing. :P Sounds catchy, at least.  They've always been quite commercial anyway, as others have pointed out.

Snippets sound okay, but I'm a bit disappointed by Mad World (really? they choose to reveal the repetitive chorus?) and Holy Ground (I don't like the chorus much at all. This song sounds a bit messy based on that sample)

Trophy Hunter sounds great. Endless War and Supanova don't sound as strong as the live versions though. 

Based on the samples, I'm getting a very pop rock vibe with electronic elements. I just hope these electro moments aren't too overdone and overshadow Sharon's voice and the instruments.

9 hours ago, Serena said:

What do you think? :D

Aaahm... Well I was in general missing some kind of kick-ass power from the new songs I've heard (except for RYB, that had it) which I always associated with WT songs, and I thought the remaining songs will surely have it, but I haven't heard it in the samples either... so I thought I'll wait for the full album before I complain. :P

I don't want to complain though. I love WT, and this album has a pretty cool sound, I don't mind that it's more commercial either, it's just that while with most of their albums I've had their songs stuck in my head and wanted to play them on repeat, with this I don't feel that way. It's more like that half of Hydra which I've more often skipped. So I have a feeling this album will not be a big fave of mine. But it doesn't mean I don't like it at all!

I was pretty unimpressed by The Reckoning for example and it has grown on me, so we'll see how it turns out. About the "new" songs: I liked this snippet of Endlees War more than the live verison, but I still don't like the chorus. Supernova and Holy Ground sound pretty good, these seem to be the kind of songs which grow on me. Mad World sounds like something I've already heard a thousand times. Mercy Mirror is beautiful, I totally love it! And Trophy Hunter might be the song I am waiting for. *crossesfingers*

Edit: Mercy Mirror is stuck in my head! :music:

Can't be done with all these snippets and bits'n'bobs, I will wait for the album in full, as it is supposed to sound.

I did watch the video to The Reckoning before seeing them, and the song was OK.

And I did hear 3 (or possibly) 4 of the songs in Birmingham, but they sounded shite (as did all the songs I heard before I'd had enough), so no real indication of quality there...

I also hope that it will be as good as The Unforgiving, which is about as good as popmetal gets...

7 hours ago, laputa said:

Odd you hold The Unforgiving so high, it's by far my least favourite album!

What's odd is that you don't, The Unforgiving is fantastic :)

11 minutes ago, NighttimeBird said:

What's odd is that you don't, The Unforgiving is fantastic :)

I disagree. Mother Earth, The Silent Force and The Heart Of Everything are a lot better.

But I massively enjoy all Within Temptation. It's all relative. They are the band that got me into this type of music in 2005!

8 minutes ago, laputa said:

I disagree. Mother Earth, The Silent Force and The Heart Of Everything are a lot better.

But I massively enjoy all Within Temptation. It's all relative. They are the band that got me into this type of music in 2005!

I subscribe this!

I also think those are their best albums, BUT I love The Unforgiving (and partially Hydra) too. It depends on what mood I'm in. :)

6 minutes ago, Sophia said:

I subscribe this!

I also think those are their best albums, BUT I love The Unforgiving (and partially Hydra) too. It depends on what mood I'm in. :)

I actually enjoy Hydra more than The Unforgiving. But I hesitate to call it a better album, because whilst The Unforgiving is far from my favourite, it was A really great album and I could be persuaded to rate The Unforgiving and Hydra the same score. About 7 or 8/10.

I enjoy Enter and The Dance, but I have always struggled to think of them as the same band!

I'm also on the side of The Unforgiving being my favourite WT album. It's just solid all around - every song is good, it's got a cohesive sound that makes the album fit together and flow really well, and you can clearly see the direction the band was aiming for and achieved. I think it's also Sharon's best performance vocally.

I guess it's more rock than metal, and less symphonic than their previous works so it's down to taste I suppose, but it hit all the right marks for me. I was hoping Resist may be a sort of Unforgiving Part 2, and from the snippets I think that's at least partially the case. It may not end up reaching as consistently high as that album, but there's a clear direction again and it sounds more cohesive than Hydra (though I also enjoy Hydra a lot), and it's definitely more pop-rock than full-on metal.

Of the classic symphonic-style albums, I'd say The Heart of Everything is the best, and is my second favourite of WT overall. Was very nice hearing some callbacks to that style again in Raise Your Banner, which is still my favourite song out of the four studio tracks that I've listened to so far from the new album.

I confess that (aside from Enter, which I love but have to be in the mood for as it's its own thing entirely), Mother Earth is probably the album I listen to least. Sharon's earlier vocals kind of grate on me a bit if I'm honest. The Silent Force onwards was a massive improvement for me in that regard.

2 minutes ago, Yoshee said:

Mother Earth is probably the album I listen to least. Sharon's earlier vocals kind of grate on me a bit if I'm honest. The Silent Force onwards was a massive improvement for me in that regard.

Agreed!

ME and TSF somehow go hand in hand for me. Probably because I got those two albums together. I love both, but yes, I've listened to TSF more too. Hydra would be around a 7 for me, while The Unforgiving is easily a 9. But I don't like ratings. Everything other than a 10 or a 1 is relative. :P

Despite WT being one of my fav bands, I never truly managed to get into Enter and The Dance. :ermm: Not my kind of genre.

I don't know what to think about this album to be honest. WT has been one of my go-to bands since I was a teenager and I even liked Hydra a lot, but listening to those snippets got me very disappointed. All songs have the same atmosphere and does not differ a lot in melody or structure (so far at least). Vocal melodies does not sound any challenging and I get a feeling of an average pop-album camouflaged with guitars. 

Will give it some spins when it's out though before making any more judgments. 

If I'd have to rate them, I'd say The Unforgiving and The Heart of Everything are both a 9, The Silent Force is an 8, Mother Earth and Enter are a 7 and Hydra a 6

From everything I've heard so far, I'd place Resist on the same level as The Silent Force

For me:

THOE/TSF 9

The Unforgiven 8

ME 7

Enter 6

Hydra 5

And. for me, Resist looks like a second Unforgiven so.... yeah! :D

My rankings. I'm a trailer/soundtrack fan so naturally I gravitate towards TSF and THOE as being my favourite WT albums.

ME is okay. Enter I need to be in a certain mood, but I do really like Gatekeeper. 

I actually enjoyed Hydra. Shame it was just so compressed sounding. TU is okay. It's standard WT stuff.

Out of what I've heard from Resist so far... I love Raise Your Banner. The other three tracks are solid. I'm dreading the electronic stuff though. I just hope they don't bury the guitars and her vocals. I'll just be thinking 'imagine what this song would've sounded like with an orchestra...'

42 minutes ago, Serena said:

For me:

THOE/TSF 9

The Unforgiven 8

ME 7

Enter 6

Hydra 5

And. for me, Resist looks like a second Unforgiven so.... yeah! :D

I will try!

Enter/The Dance (6/10)

Where my obsession really starts:

Mother Earth (8/10)

The Silent Force (9/10)

The Heart Of Everything (9/10)

The Unforgiving (7/10)

Hydra (8/10)

With snippets of everything being out... are all the songs the same mid-tempo after all, or is there something along the lines of In The Middle of the Night? Tempo-wise, I mean. Anything slower? (Firelight?) I still haven't heard a bit of Holy Ground, Mad World, In Vain and Trophy Hunter.

A good song is a good song, sure, but Resist's biggest weakness for me has been that all the songs have had the same... momentum, you could say. :teehee: