Serena

Within Temptation II

847 posts in this topic

When people ask Nightwish to up their production game  this is what we mean.

Resist sounds absolutely delicious, clear guitars, defined instruments, a very encompassing atmosphere, every drum beat, riff and vocal line is at the same time separated from one another and cohesively united. This album sounds like it came out in 2019 and it feeds from every advancement made in the sound production arts.

Not to mention the electronic elements which are extremely tastefully injected giving the band a very unique, modern yet firmly rooted sound.

Hats off.

42 minutes ago, Ahasverus said:

When people ask Nightwish to up their production game  this is what we mean

And yet to my (cloth) ears EFMB is one of the best sounding albums going....I can hear everything:cool:

3 minutes ago, Ahasverus said:

Resist sounds absolutely delicious, clear guitars, defined instruments, a very encompassing atmosphere, every drum beat, riff and vocal line is at the same time separated from one another and cohesively united. This album sounds like it came out in 2019 and it feeds from every advancement made in the sound production arts.

Not to mention the electronic elements which are extremely tastefully injected giving the band a very unique sound.

Hats off.

Whoa! I just love your opinion!

I like the album

51 minutes ago, Essexboyinwales said:

And yet to my (cloth) ears EFMB is one of the best sounding albums going....I can hear everything:cool:

EFMB sounds really clear, but lacks "punch" and depth. It's a big step up from the prior two albums (which were more or less pure noise the moment a guitar appeared, which is a big problem in a melodic metal band) but still feels rooted in a "classic" (See: 60's, 70's) production style in which the band is there and then the vocals are up there and the background is back there. That's it,  no change, no surprise, no real soundscape, just a clearer approximation to the experience of hearing the band live.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, but I feel like the music deserves more of a "surrealistic" and powerful coat of paint.

In my humble opinion, WT has been the best produced band in the genre (Maybe with the exception of Ghost when they released Melliora, which is simply sublime, but they ruined themselves again with Prequelle) since The Heart of Everything, they've changed through many styles but they're always the clearest sounding band of them all. 

@Serena <3

17 minutes ago, Sophia said:

I like it! :D

It reminds me a little of "Ice Queen" video :D fancy planets in the background and so on.... I like the idea of having 2 Sharons but her face expressions when they meet each other are... interesting :D 

2 hours ago, Ahasverus said:

Wow, just... wow. I very much disagree. I didn't expect anyone to say this. The guitar is absolutely not "clear" and the instruments are a lot less defined than in most metal albums, including Nightwish's latest.

19 minutes ago, valice said:

It reminds me a little of "Ice Queen" video :D fancy planets in the background and so on.... I like the idea of having 2 Sharons but her face expressions when they meet each other are... interesting :D 

Agree, it reminded me of Ice Queen too (it's not that primitive though :P). Yeah, it's that 90's type of music video., but I don't mind, from the 3 new videos this was the most enjoyable for me. :good:

38 minutes ago, NighttimeBird said:

Wow, just... wow. I very much disagree. I didn't expect anyone to say this. The guitar is absolutely not "clear" and the instruments are a lot less defined than in most metal albums, including Nightwish's latest.

I didn't mean "clear" as in "natural", but in effect. 

How does Sharon manage to always look 10 years younger? I've been shocked about her age since about 2007 haha.

So, dark Sharon and light Sharon meet again, except this time dark Sharon is pissed. At least she didn't start levitating for no apparent reason, again. :P It reminded me of Running up that hill, but yes it's also a much, much, much, MUCH better version of Ice Queen. :P  They seem to love being in the outer space or somewhere really high up. I liked it she looks beautiful once again.

I really like Resist. I think it sounds new & fresh for WT. It's different but this does need mean bad. Every song to me has a different feel.

I listened to TSF recently & I used to love the album but I did struggle to play it the whole way through. It's just so over produced & a lot of sound.

The Supernova vid is rather nice too.

2 minutes ago, Ahasverus said:

How does Sharon manage to always look 10 years younger? I've been shocked about her age since about 2007 haha.

She looks better now than in the early 2000's

I like the video, you guys scared me with the Ice Queen comparison (which IMO is one of the worst music videos ever). They both have planets in the background, the orange color scheme is similar, and of course it wouldn't be the same without Sharon's signature hand movements/dance moves. But I'm happy to say Supernova is much better shot and I think a very pretty music video. The whole band looks great, and even though I didn't initially love the bangs look on Sharon I think she really pulls it off in the groups shots (she really looks gorgeous there).  

I love the "Ice Queen" video, mainly because it's bad to the point of being funny. :P The song is great of course, but uh...wow, that video is something else.  The "Supernova" video is quite nice, though - unlike the "Ice Queen" one, it looks like it actually has...well, a budget.  It's also kinda my favorite song on the album, with "Trophy Hunter" being an extremely close second.

51 minutes ago, silverlining said:

I like the video, you guys scared me with the Ice Queen comparison (which IMO is one of the worst music videos ever)

Agree!

Supernova video reminds me of The Howling one! :D Dark Sharon was also there!

@Ahasverus

Clear guitars? Not natural, but in effect?? I only hear a not so clear, almighty mashy kind of wall sound of heavy sounds, which could be produced by guitars, but who knows!. Nevermind, I really loved the very clear 40 seconds of guitar on 'Firelight.  

Agree completely with @NighttimeBird on this matter.

What on earth are you smokin'?  

I might get old, but to me a clear guitar sounds like this.....

@everdreamer1990

Hi. Good to see you post again!

8 hours ago, Essexboyinwales said:

EFMB is a masterpiece. Resist is a good album.

It's not state of the art. It's a decent pop metal album that blandly follows the charts. I hear all sorts of rather vapid influences. Within Temptation do t well, but the album also has awful mixing. I struggle to make out some of the key elements here. The bombast of Raise Your Banner for example is dampened by a really horrid production that makes everything sound like it's playing in the next room. EFMB sounds like they are playing in front of me.

Nothing about Resist makes me think Nightwish have anything to worry about. When they aim to write big hits, they do it a lot better and they actually get what they desire. 

I used to love Within Temptation but now I just like them. The songs are really strong on resist but the overall execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Having listened to the album three times, now I can give my opinnion. Ugh...don't know where to start. I liked it, it's alright, but I also think it's not the best WT has done. In fact, I think it's the worst. Mind you, this does not mean it's bad. It's that it's...just good. It's too repetitive, cliché and bland for my taste. There are of course memorable moments (Raise your banner and Supernova come to my mind) , but during the three listens there were some moments in which I realized I wasn't noticing the flow of the album, most of the songs sounded kinda the same. And then, the lyrics. WT has had some REALLY beautiful lyrics throughout their whole discography, but none of the lyrics this time made me feel anything. Still, it's not a bad album, the mixture of elements is really good, the production is quite good and Sharon's voice is wonderful. I do hope it grows on me more. 

@laputa

Sorry, but EMFB is NOT a masterpiece. Words like that are used far too much these days. 'Dark side Of The Moon' is a masterpiece. 'Graceland' is a masterpiece.

But EMFB is, musically wise, certainly a lot better than 'Resist'. I gave WT's latest release a 5/10. Now, to Dutch standards that means that you failed your exams (and you have to do it again). 'Good' means a 7,5-8 out of 10. Sorry, but  I think WT deserves  nowhere near that figure with this album. Although I'm sure, that I will play 'Trophy hunter' a lot the coming years.

Another thing I really enjoy, are the increasing number of cooperations on WT's last 2 albums. It breaks Sharon's contributions  a bit up. She can be a bit too much to listen to for a longer time, especially in the higher regions. I found that especially at concerts. But when she's using her normal chest voice, like in My Indigo, it's all much more easy to listen to. 

Now, why are you writing that NW has nothing to worry about? Are the 2 bands somehow enclosed in a battle that I don't know of? Maybe a secret battle in a dark corner of Facebook called 'WT & NW resistance movements are battling it out for the supremacy in the symphonic metal world'? And WT hardcore warriors (Sharon calls them 'dragons') were delivered a blow by their latest offering, so they will have to retreat themselves for a while?  I might be more interested in that battle than the album, to be honest.:D  To feed that battle a bit of ammunition, I'd say that WT's average video is A LOT better made and produced than NWishes and so are their DVD's:dwarf: But  I love both bands and see no competition at all really.

@@Symphoniker

Agreed.

9 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

@laputa

Sorry, but EMFB is NOT a masterpiece. Words like that are used far too much these days. 'Dark side Of The Moon' is a masterpiece. 'Graceland' is a masterpiece.

But EMFB is, musically wise, certainly a lot better than 'Resist'. I gave WT's latest release a 5/10. Now, to Dutch standards that means that you failed your exams (and you have to do it again). 'Good' means a 7,5-8 out of 10. Sorry, but  I think WT deserves  nowhere near that figure with this album. Although I'm sure, that I will play 'Trophy hunter' a lot the coming years.

Another thing I really enjoy, are the increasing number of cooperations on WT's last 2 albums. It breaks Sharon's contributions  a bit up. She can be a bit too much to listen to for a longer time, especially in the higher regions. I found that especially at concerts. But when she's using her normal chest voice, like in My Indigo, it's all much more easy to listen to. 

Now, why are you writing that NW has nothing to worry about? Are the 2 bands somehow enclosed in a battle that I don't know of? Maybe a secret battle in a dark corner of Facebook called 'WT & NW resistance movements are battling it out for the supremacy in the symphonic metal world'? And WT hardcore warriors (Sharon calls them 'dragons') were delivered a blow by their latest offering, so they will have to retreat themselves for a while?  I might be more interested in that battle than the album, to be honest.:D  To feed that battle a bit of ammunition, I'd say that WT's average video is A LOT better made and produced than NWishes and so are their DVD's:dwarf: But  I love both bands and see no competition at all really.

@@Symphoniker

Agreed.

Endless Forms Most Beautiful is not only my favourite Nightwish album, but it's also my favourite album of the decade. I think it is a masterpiece, one that soundtracked every year since its release and has been consistently one of the most played albums in my collection. I cannot stand Pink Floyd. However, as a big rock and metal fan I rank it as highly as the best of Sabbath, Zeppelin, Rush, Maiden, Priest, Megadeth, Yes and The Beatles.

I don't care what you think one bit. It's been a massive favourite for many Nightwish fans, and it's been delightful seeing the UK mainstream truly take note of Nightwish in a massive way since its release.

I think think this is one of the greatest albums I have ever heard in my life and it cemented Nightwish in my top five favourite bands of all time.

So decide for yourself what is great and don't enforce your opinion on others. 

10 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

@laputa

By saying that EFMB is not a masterpiece, you are implicitly saying that masterpiece isn't a subjective term (because if it were, it would be perfectly valid for someone to call EFMB one).  So then what are the requirements for an album to be called "masterpiece"? I can think of only one that's not subjective: copies sold. But that's a very bad one, because older albums always have more copies sold, especially if they are from before the digital era.

Do you think there will be new songs played on the USA leg of the tour?

27 minutes ago, Serena said:

Do you think there will be new songs played on the USA leg of the tour?

I hope they play Trophy Hunter also Mad World would be cool for audience participation.  

18 minutes ago, silverlining said:

I hope they play Trophy Hunter also Mad World would be cool for audience participation.  

Those two are the ones I was thinking about! :D