Serena

Within Temptation II

847 posts in this topic

I don't know what happened to Within Temptation's mixing. Their earlier albums up until The Unforgiving sounded fine. With Hydra and Resist something went wrong.

I do not really understand where all the criticism regarding the mixing of this album is coming from. The instruments sound clear, it is not overly loud, Sharon's vocals are mixed in nicely  and the synths are not too high or too low in the mix. I often read that the guitars are barely hearable in many songs, but I think that is a stylistic choice rather than a mixing mistake.

Overall I am enjoying this album a lot. I like the Sci-Fi theme. It is executed very well. Especially on songs like Endless War and Supernova. I am also loving Sharon's vocals (as usual ;)) and the drum work is very good. In fact I do not think that they have ever sounded as good on a WT album. The only criticism that I can think of is that the album could contain more guitar work. They have 2 good guitarists, but they feel underused to me on this album. I hope we will hear more of them on the next record. 

The highlights for me are Endless War, Supernova, Raise Your Banner and Trophy Hunter. I am also loving the energy and positive vibe that Mad World conveys. 

Sound quality has never been a strong suit of Within Temptation's albums. The only releases that sound good are Enter and The Dance imo. The rest range from a bit thin (Mother Earth) to really bad. The Heart of Everything, The Unforgiving, and Hydra are the worst offenders. All three are too loud and sound muddy. They do not sound clear at all. 

Resist is a bit better and clearer, but it could still be improved. 

@laputa

Ofcourse I should have started my first sentence with 'I think' as it is MY opinion. I normally do, but forgot it this time.

However, my opinion rests on a bit more than just 'I don't like it' or 'I don't care about'-phrases. being a masterpiece is ofcourse the complete sum of a number of facts. That's if you are open to certain common sense factors ofcourse.

A) the reviews from a number of music magazines, newspapers and other written reviews worldwide.

B) the success on the commercial front, but that is just a minor fact, but can't be ignored. Worldwide. 

C) what the fans think about the album worldwide.

D) does it become an album, which people will still play a lot at home, on their i-pod and on the radio worldwide after 20 years? Let's call it a classic.

E) a masterpiece is often associated with a fine and excellent technical sound.

If you take all these factors into your review (you don't have to like an album to call it a materpiece, it's based on the common consensus of facts and opinions by others than yourself), then I think you are allowed to say if an album is a masterpiece. You don't like Pink Floyd, but can't deny that 'Dark side of the moon' or 'Wish you were' are masterpieces, because implementing all the above facts, they clearly are, where 'EMFB' is clearly not.

Reviews by a lot of music media were not overall that positive. Sales figures were alright, but not extraordinary. Because you can't compare sales figures with 20/30 years ago, you certainly can look at the charts how long they are in them. The general consensus from the hardcore NW fans, this forum, were not especially crying from joy over this album. They thought it was a good album, but most would not put it at the top of the NW album list!! Also, very divided opinions on the technical side of EFMB. Many were very disappointed by it. Will average people still play this album a lot in 20 years? I highly doubt it. Hardcore fans probably yes, but this one is for the future.

On the contrary, 'Dark side of the moon' already has proven it's deserved its masterpiece status. Still I like other PF albums more, which are considered lesser quality.

Again, you don't have to like it yourself to admit that something is a masterpiece or not. The bit about enforcing my opinion on you, I do find that unfunded and therefore not worth reacting to. I did say EFMB is not a masterpiece, because all thing written above, because that's MY weighed opinion.      

How about explaining your stated battle between NW and WT now. This is the WT-thread after all. You want to claim an existing (or instigate a) war between bands of the NL & Finland? Now, I'm very interested in the history of warfare, but I didn't see this one coming. It feels a bit like the Charge Of The Light Brigade if you ask me. Big fan of cardigans are you?

@NighttimeBird

I hope you can find your answer as well in the above written reply. If not, tell me where do you think I go wrong, 

edited on February 7th.

7 hours ago, -Romijn- said:

I am also loving Sharon's vocals (as usual ;)

Me too!

So now the FB group is suddenly a battle against the rights of a boy who wants to post his video dancing naked to "Supernova".

I have no problem with the guy showing off his body while trying to dance (from the comments I've read, he was FAR from being professional), but it creeps me out how people don't care about the lyrics at all. You're making a funny dancing to a song that was written to her recently demised father, in which she clearly implies she's struggling to that loss. Which is a serious matter. btw. I think it's so disrepectful in that sense.

Some people tried to point this out to him, but he and other people support him won't listen/read just because they stand for freedom and they play this "Resist" game the band put on the table. But I don't really think that's the message they wanted to deliver to us. Freedom has its own limits when you start hurting someone else, I believe.

I mean... Sharon is dancing too in the videoclip, plus it's a very upbeat song, if I didn't know the meaning of the lyrics I would never have guessed that it's about loss, probably a break-up at most. That being said, I agree that it's disrespectful, and he definitely should have looked up the lyrics and their meaning before even thinking about posting a video of himself dancing stupidly & naked to it. The "resistance" bit sounds completely ridiculous dear Lord. :P

10 minutes ago, Lena said:

I would never have guessed that it's about loss, probably a break-up at most. 

It's about her father's death!

Yes, I know. That guy, though, probably doesn't. :)

14 minutes ago, Lena said:

Yes, I know. That guy, though, probably doesn't. :)

IDK if he was part of the facebook group they talked about it quit a lot there. I guess he could of just skimmed through the posts but if you are going to make and post a video about a band that usually indicates that you are more than just a casual fan, so I think he probably did know but just didn't think it over. Also the group is full of memes from the supernova video (some are even funny) so and nobody is offended so maybe he thought it was the some kind of thing.  

Well, either way that would be pretty stupid of him, even more so if he knew. It would be taking it too far. Also, who the hell would have wanted to see that? :P

"Resist" reached #1 in Germany, #2 in The Netherlands, #2 in Belgium and #13 in Australia:

4 hours ago, silverlining said:

Also the group is full of memes from the supernova video (some are even funny) so and nobody is offended so maybe he thought it was the some kind of thing.  

They're making fun of WT-related stuff using Sharon's faces on the video, not the song itself (even less the lyrics). There's a huge difference.

Besides, Sharon did like the memes and shared some of them in their social media.

4 minutes ago, Damian said:

They're making fun of WT-related stuff using Sharon's faces on the video, not the song itself (even less the lyrics). There's a huge difference.

I see the difference and so do you but not everyone is as emotionally perceptive, and I'm guess someone who films and uploads a video of himself dancing naked isn't the kind of person that picks up on these things. 

11 minutes ago, Damian said:

Besides, Sharon did like the memes and shared some of them in their social media.

I didn't say the memes were in bad taste, I liked some of them... 

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would 1) upload a video of themself dancing naked and 2) think that other people would want to watch that.  What!?!?

The actual memes are fun though :)  I'm liking that video more and more just for the memes it's spawning...

I finally listened to the album yesterday and I'm really enjoying it so far. Some songs took a few more spins to grow, even Endless War which I had already heard quite a few times when it "leaked", and is now one of my favourites. Supernova is my favourite for now. Fun, full of energy and great lyrics (yeah, yeah the chorus says Supernova too many times but what about "Like Thunder screaming out for a flash of lightning, stars are falling down for god's applause?) . The "supernova, supernova, supernova" part is killing me because it reminds me of sth and I just can't remeber what. Holy Ground is cool as well and Firelight which I considered really boring at first, has really grown on me. I even love the ohs which give it a mystical atmosphere. The guitar solo at the end is a gem. Mad World, Mercy Mirror, and Trophy Hunter are still growing but I like them as well. In Vain has to be the one I like the least, it kind of got boring. I love the choirs in Supernova and Endless War but I would have liked them to be a bit more clear (sth I would have liked for a few other parts of the album).

I really like the album. For now I like it more than Hydra but only time will tell what place it will take in my ranking.

BTW, the booklet has like a gazillion typos and mistakes in the lyrics. I meaaan, can they change their record label sometime soon?

20 minutes ago, Imagineer said:

BTW, the booklet has like a gazillion typos and mistakes in the lyrics. I meaaan, can they change their record label sometime soon?

Considering how they pushed back the release of the album because of physical production problems the fact that they still have these issue is even more embarrassing. I don't care how great a pitch meeting the band had with the label, IMO they need to do better. but with how well the album is selling they might not care...

1 week after release and I still don't have the album that I preordered 3 months ago. I'm never buying anything from musicglue again...

2 hours ago, Encaitar said:

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would 1) upload a video of themself dancing naked and 2) think that other people would want to watch that.  What!?!?

Same here!

@NighttimeBird

You just couldn't  RESIST buying from the internet , could you?:P

No record store near your place?

Well, if you haven't heard anything of the album so far (:D), the last song is shockingly good! That's all I'm going to say.

1 minute ago, hunebedbouwer said:

@NighttimeBird

You just couldn't  RESIST buying from the internet , could you?:P

No record store near your place?

Well, if you haven't heard anything of the album so far (:D), the last song is shockingly good! That's all I'm going to say.

I started pirating long before I started buying music from the internet, so I've actually been listening to RESIST for longer than most people :laugh:

There are record stores in my town, but I rarely visit. I preorder albums first of all to support bands, and second because normally, it means I often have the music 1 or 2 days before official release, or at worst on release day.

One of the ways I even discovered Within Temptation was through limewire, I downloaded a mislabeled song that turned out to be their cover of Running Up That Hill. It was a happy accident for me :D  

12 hours ago, Encaitar said:

He just wanted to get attention and more followers for his Instagram account.... smh.

7 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

Did you ALSO have a very intimate relation with Limewire?:giggle:

When you're 15 and unemployed, you can't always get the money from your parents to buy all the albums you'd love to get. So, yeah, piracy and Youtube brought me here.