Serena

Within Temptation II

1,051 posts in this topic

@hunebedbouwer Nah, I was always more of a BitTorrent kind of person :)

I've always used as a "free trial" option for music. I'd download an album first, listen to it a few times, and if I liked it I'd buy it. I don't do it much anymore nowadays, because most of the bands I'm following, I trust enough to buy the album right away, just like I did with RESIST. Also, I have more money now so I can actually buy all the ones I want :)

@silverlining @NighttimeBird @Damian

Well, as soon as someone explained and installed Limewire for me, I was not available for anyone for weeks! The thing was: I had written down this list of about 500 fantastic single songs from the 1960's - 1990's, which were not available anymore through record stores and all other distribution channels. And I wanted those particular songs so bad!! I really thought I would never be able to get them. Ever.

And then I got Limewire! Paradise on earth! Suddenly in the early '00's there was this possibility to download and enjoy them again. So, it was fun and very exciting at the same time. Because you had to be careful not to download some of those billions of horrible viruses (also put there by the music industry) that were also listed. It was like Russian Roulette sometimes! Though soon you recognized them (or very small or very big size - I have heard some weird voices nevertheless!) and the joy when a song reached that 100 % status!! MAGIC!!:dwarf: 

Never downloaded anything else, so I guess I was being reasonably brave compared to others. It was a lot of fun while it lasted and I was able to get about 95% of the songs on that list. Then I did put them on cd's for keeping them safe.

I have always been a guy who wants the physical copy, still am. In my younger days, I have spent all my pocket money and money I earned through jobs during holidays etc. on music. I still hear my parents say: 'Oh, he will get over that (crazy) hobby when he's more grown up!! For they were not really into music and certainly not the stuff I liked. 'Cremation music' said my father when I played Jean-Michel Jarre's 'Oxygene' :DI still like to rub that statement under their noses once in a while!:giggle:

I was a bit depressed when Limewire was taken down. I did download a lot of YT-songs in the middle of the 2010´s, but I do find that has become very difficult as well and the quality lacks a bit. Nothing better than the real thing; cover, lyrics and all.

8 hours ago, Damian said:

When you're 15 and unemployed, you can't always get the money from your parents to buy all the albums you'd love to get. So, yeah, piracy and Youtube brought me here. 

Those were the times! Now we have Spotify!

Anyway, the more I listen to Resist, the more I like it! :D

1 hour ago, hunebedbouwer said:

I was a bit depressed when Limewire was taking down. I did download a lot of YT-songs in the middle of the 2010´s, but I do find that has become very difficult as well and the quality lacks a bit. Nothing better than the real thing; cover, lyrics and all.

I meant as in a way to discover new music, instead of buying it, I'd listen to the song someone unauthorized uploaded it on their own personal channel.

Back then (2010-2013) I also downloaded a huge amount of videoclips (official and HD fan live footage) to record them in a DVD so I could see them on the TV screen, which was a typical 90's tv set with no USB entry or anything like that, don't even mention internet connection :P The new techonology arrived a little bit too late to home.

16 minutes ago, Serena said:

Now we have Spotify!

And iTunes too. I was planning to set up an account there and start dowlonading albums/songs there. For now, Spotify does the job. But, yeah, I would've liked to contribute with my two cents by downloading Resist from the iTunes platform. If I ordered a physical copy from a European store, it would arrived in May with enough luck. So, iTunes would've been a reasonable choice.

13 hours ago, NighttimeBird said:

@hunebedbouwer Nah, I was always more of a BitTorrent kind of person :)

I've always used as a "free trial" option for music. I'd download an album first, listen to it a few times, and if I liked it I'd buy it. I don't do it much anymore nowadays, because most of the bands I'm following, I trust enough to buy the album right away, just like I did with RESIST. Also, I have more money now so I can actually buy all the ones I want :)

That is exactly what I do.

I try before I buy. Back when I was a kid, I used to head down to the local library and borrow CDs and burn them if I liked them enough.

Nowadays, I save my money for merchandise, concert dvds and gigs. If I love the band (say WT or Epica), I'll buy their CD immediately.

1 hour ago, Oceanborn66 said:

Resist is great, they deserve the #1!

Agree!

The Reckoning no.54 on i-tunes in India..........(4-2)

Congrats to WT:D  

(I'm very surprised with their chart succes overall, no matter how long it will last......I think they need to re-re-re-release THOE!!)

One week down the road, I find myself listening to the album at times. Not hype-listening every day, but then again it's quite an easily digestible album, so I wasn't expecting it to take several days to take everything in.

The Reckoning - wasn't really that interesting in the first place. I'll play it if I'm doing the whole album.

Endless War - I've chosen to use it for my upcoming audition, so I'm somewhat fed up at the moment after making my own instrumental backing track, and then practicing. But I'll start playing it more eventually.

Raise Your Banner - Solid. Still playing it if I'm cooking, cleaning...

Supernova - Only when I'm playing the whole album, really.

Holy Ground - has grown, as expected. Before, I found myself waking up two days in a row with the choir stuck in my head. Like it a lot.

In Vain - I don't skip it, but I don't play it specifically. Weakest track.

Firelight - Resting a bit, until the sense of novelty with the other songs goes away.

Mad World - Still a lot of fun. One of my favorites.

Mercy Mirror - Same situation as Supernova. I like it, but I don't like everything about how it sounds, so it's not getting played that much.

Trophy Hunter - Oh, yeah. This one has grown too, as expected. It's not perfect, could have been longer, but it's still a throwback to The Heart of Everything, which was the album that started it all for me, so...

I have listened to Resist quite a few times since it was released. According to my statistic on Play Music, I have listened to all songs on Resist for at least 9 times (some more than that). The album has grown on me quite a bit as well. I like it a lot now, even though I'm still sad that the electronic elements bury the guitars so much. It would totally have been possible to have both on equal footing like they did in The Reckoning. That being said, Resist is still very enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, The Name Of The Wind said:

The album has grown on me quite a bit as well.

Same here! Playing it at least once a day! :D

On 2/6/2019 at 11:18 PM, NighttimeBird said:

By saying that EFMB is not a masterpiece, you are implicitly saying that masterpiece isn't a subjective term (because if it were, it would be perfectly valid for someone to call EFMB one).  So then what are the requirements for an album to be called "masterpiece"? I can think of only one that's not subjective: copies sold. But that's a very bad one, because older albums always have more copies sold, especially if they are from before the digital era.

I would say it's how the album goes down in history. Of course everyone can call it a masterpiece to their own ears, because it definitely has a subjective part to it. But if we're trying to speak of masterpieces in the more objective sense of the word, I think first and foremost, some time needs to pass and see how the song/ album ages and if it remains in the collective memory as a benchmark of the genre (or even of music). And by that I don't mean only in the fans' minds, but also in the mind of other bands that will use that song/album as inspiration. 

On 2/8/2019 at 12:58 PM, Lena said:

Yes, I know. That guy, though, probably doesn't. :)

If he would actually try to understand the critics and care, he would've taken the video down and appologise when he found out. He's arguing that omg he's a rebel, not knowing the story of the song is not the problem. It's just that his respect for his abs overrides his respect for the band he claims to love. 

Ok, back to Resist. I hated Hydra with a passion, but Resist is a pleasant listen. Yes, it's a light listen as well, but it's melodic and not irritatingly repetitive and Sharon is always lovely (when she isn't drowned in synths, I mean, so I'm glad to see this time I can actually hear her beautiful voice colour). Probably not going to over-listen to it, but it's definitely a step back up. 

I just saw that, I wonder if they are going to make a video like that for all the songs on the album (I want one for firelight). I already heard her speak about the meaning of the song so none of the information was new, but I liked how she broke it down musically. The stuff about the music video was nice too. It would also be nice if they had some other people in the band comment on the songs.

On 2/16/2019 at 2:46 AM, angel_heart said:

Ok, back to Resist. I hated Hydra with a passion, but Resist is a pleasant listen. Yes, it's a light listen as well, but it's melodic and not irritatingly repetitive and Sharon is always lovely (when she isn't drowned in synths, I mean, so I'm glad to see this time I can actually hear her beautiful voice colour). Probably not going to over-listen to it, but it's definitely a step back up.

I also didn't like Hydra either.  The album had only 3 good songs - Paradise (What About Us?), Let Us Burn, and Dangerous.

Hydra's problem is that the album was far less symphonic than the earlier albums.  They had already started scaling down the symphonic elements beginning with "The Unforgiving" and Hydra scaled that down even farther.  The biggest highlight of Hydra was the song featuring Tarja as a guest, and it happens to be the most symphonic song on the album.  Resist still doesn't compare to the earlier albums in the amount of symphonic elements used in the album, but it is slightly more symphonic than Hydra was.

Resist is a much better album than Hydra.  There's already 5 songs from Resist that I currently like - The Reckoning, Raise Your Banner, Supernova, Mad World, and Trophy Hunter

1 hour ago, Hyperspace said:

Resist is a much better album than Hydra.  There's already 5 songs from Resist that I currently like - The Reckoning, Raise Your Banner, Supernova, Mad World, and Trophy Hunter

Agree!

My top 5

1 Trophy Hunter

2 Mad World

3 RYB

4 Endless War

5 Mercy Mirror

Been playing this album non stop.

First of all: The Bad

The top 40 pop production robs the music of a lot of character. The mixing unfortunately softens some of the albums more epic or symphonic moments.

The Great:

Everything else! I love all the songs, my favourites being all the video singles, Mercy Mirror and Trophy Hunter.

8/10

40 minutes ago, Serena said:

Can be one of the albums of the year!

I disagree... quality is too inconsistent. If every song were as good as Supernova / RYB / Trophy Hunter, then it could have been.

Quality is definitele consistent for me. In Vain is the weakest track for me, but other than that I either like or really like the rest of the songs. For now, I'm pretty happy with this album, despite some minor problems I have here and there.

Not sure if My Indigo was being discussed on here, or on a separate thread, but I got it a couple of weeks ago and, for a pop album, it's very very good (not that I listen to much "pop" these days).

Sharon's voice is absolutely made for this sort of music

(runs and hides:D)

@Essexboyinwales

Well, you can run on clogs this time, since it's not that far to reach that hideaway place where all the My Indigo-appreciators gather (presided by Baki). It's generally liked, I think.

My favourite 'Indian summer'

19 hours ago, Hyperspace said:

Hydra's problem is that the album was far less symphonic than the earlier albums.  They had already started scaling down the symphonic elements beginning with "The Unforgiving" and Hydra scaled that down even farther.  The biggest highlight of Hydra was the song featuring Tarja as a guest, and it happens to be the most symphonic song on the album.  Resist still doesn't compare to the earlier albums in the amount of symphonic elements used in the album, but it is slightly more symphonic than Hydra was.

To me being or not being symphonic is the smallest problem. I just want it to be good, regardless of the genre. And Hydra was way too repetitive and dry for my taste. Paradise in particular was a huge let-down, when you hear Sharon and Tarja join forces, you expect something epic and it was just the same few notes repeated over and over. Resist is a lot more creative and engaging.

On 2/20/2019 at 10:20 AM, Hyperspace said:

Hydra's problem is that the album was far less symphonic than the earlier albums.

That's not a problem to me at all. They can do any style they want to, if I like it then I'll  buy it. Maybe that's why I love Hydra that much, because it's not just a particular genre, there's a lot of experimentation going on, the album has no certain direction, it's just a bunch of songs where they try new stuff, radio-friendly stuff, mixed with some WT traditional elements. Too many duets, well yeah :P but it's like they made it up for it as they only had one or two guests in their entire discography back then.

On 2/20/2019 at 10:20 AM, Hyperspace said:

The biggest highlight of Hydra was the song featuring Tarja as a guest, and it happens to be the most symphonic song on the album. 

I guess this is just a matter of taste, as in the previous quote, because that's not the best song of the album imo. I love Tarja and WT and the idea of doing a song together, but I was expecting something even more symphonic metal style for it, as in TSF or THOE, where Tarja would've fit even better.

4 hours ago, angel_heart said:

Paradise in particular was a huge let-down, when you hear Sharon and Tarja join forces, you expect something epic and it was just the same few notes repeated over and over.

I agree with you on this, but I still can enjoy the song anyway. But I was hoping for something more epic too, for sure.