Serena

Within Temptation II

948 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, NighttimeBird said:

it's so different from the other songs. Like it deserves its own album, with other heavier and more guitar focused songs like Trophy Hunter.

I like the idea!! :D

17 hours ago, NighttimeBird said:

This will probably be unpopular because I know many people like Mad World, but I just can't stand it ¯\_(ツ)_

Wow that sounds a bit hard! Anyway the one I skip most it's Holy Ground!

On 3/22/2019 at 2:16 PM, CenturyChild625 said:

Sharon was sick in Philadelphia, although she made it through the show wonderfully. I get why they dropped Forgiven, it is hard to sing.

Didn't know that. I'd love to hear Forgiven live, hope it make it here to South America.

3 hours ago, Damian said:

Didn't know that. I'd love to hear Forgiven live, hope it make it here to South America.

Yeah, by they time they got to "Faster" she told us she was sick and so couldn't sing as powerfully as usual, but she would try. And she still sounded great, except for those really high notes she struggled to hit, such as on "Forgiven" or small parts of "The Heart of Everything." I assume she was still sick in NYC which is why they never added "Forgiven" back, and then it seems they just kept it off. I love that song so much, so, I was very excited to hear it live. I definitely had some tears.

Hopefully they tour South America! I noticed the fall is not booked yet. Perhaps they are planning to go down, and I could see room for another European tour. There are also rumors they will be back in the US next year. I suppose we will see if that happens. I really hope they do come back soon, mix-up the setlist a bit.

I also have been seeing that there will be less time between "Resist" and the next album. Apparently Sharon wants to get writing and working on a new album soon. Which is great news. I wonder which musical direction it will go.

1 hour ago, CenturyChild625 said:

Apparently Sharon wants to get writing and working on a new album soon. Which is great news. I wonder which musical direction it will go.

They will surprise us! They always do! :D

2021: Within Temptation welcomes Xzibit as their newest member of the band.

18 hours ago, CenturyChild625 said:

Hopefully they tour South America! I noticed the fall is not booked yet. Perhaps they are planning to go down, and I could see room for another European tour. There are also rumors they will be back in the US next year. I suppose we will see if that happens. I really hope they do come back soon, mix-up the setlist a bit.

If they do come back to the US next year, I do hope they come somewhere in the southern reaches of the country.  This trip, they never made it within 1000 miles of me and I couldn't quite justify the expense of flying to see them!  Alas.

Also - enjoyed your review - so thanks for that :)

1 hour ago, NeoGeorg said:

2021: Within Temptation welcomes Xzibit as their newest member of the band.

LMFAO :D

And she still sounded great, except for those really high notes she struggled to hit, such as on "Forgiven" or small parts of "The Heart of Everything."

Those high notes from The Reckoning chorus are something she's been struggling with during the whole tour. She should play it somewhere in the middle of the show when her voice is warmed up but not too tired.

Hopefully they tour South America! I noticed the fall is not booked yet.

I'm pretty sure they'll come back to SA in october/november, as they did the last time. ;)

Which is great news. I wonder which musical direction it will go.

That's something we'll never know with this band. Xzibit as a new member is an option I wouldn't rule out :P

10 hours ago, Damian said:

Those high notes from The Reckoning chorus are something she's been struggling with during the whole tour. She should play it somewhere in the middle of the show when her voice is warmed up but not too tired.

I agree, because she did not struggle overall with those high notes by the middle of the set. She nailed "The Promise" both nights, even when she was sick the second night. I think she also struggled a little with "Forgiven" because the song has come to mean a lot to her personally. She cried by the time they finished in Baltimore the first night.

On 3/25/2019 at 2:04 PM, Damian said:

You're probably right! :D

I don't get why they keep writing songs with such shouty choruses :(

It's been an issue ever since Stand My Ground. It's not that she can't hit those notes, but she lacks the technique to do it with her chest voice without sounding like she's forcing herself. It would be interesting to hear switch to her head voice instead, because she could easily hit those notes that way, but I guess she feels like they sound too pretty and lacks in punch. Her voice is an amazing instrument, when used properly. Those shouty moments are definitely the least flattering aspect of her as a vocalist and really don't do her skills any justice. I know she's said she doesn't think it's for her, but I really think finding the right vocal coach could help her improve her technique and work with improving her strengths without sacrificing the soul of her singing.

On a different note, the more I listen to this album the more I think it sounds like it totally could have been a collaboration with Hurts.

Finally got it this week (it finally arrived ay HMV!) so first listen in the car this morning.  Sounds pretty good.

Mad World was the immediate stand out track for me.  It's what they (now) do best, IMHO - great pop song, with heavy chugging guitars thrown in.

Best popmetal band around, I would say!

9 hours ago, Essexboyinwales said:

Mad World was the immediate stand out track for me.  It's what they (now) do best, IMHO - great pop song, with heavy chugging guitars thrown in.

Mad World is so cool!!! :D

I feel that WT for me is overlistened....I mean after the great hype of waiting for Resist album to come out.. Im not so ecstatic to follow some news about shows etc. by the band.. Not listen that much lately too to their songs in general..

1 hour ago, Speckofdust said:

Not listen that much lately too to their songs in general..

There are times like this! Surely you will be going back to Resist after some time!

I really like Resist for what it is. It's got its flaws, and Firelight still sticks out like a sore thumb but overall it feels very fresh. According to Sharon there might be a new album within the next couple of years already and I doubt they'll linger on this sound. Even though there are songs on Hydra that I like better individually, as an album this is what Hydra should have been.

My first listen was pretty positive, but since then I've found less pleasure in listening to it.  I reverted back to new Cellar Darling and Devin Townsend albums already, there's so much more to enjoy in them, even after many listens.  I'm not sure if Resist is suffering from being up against so many brilliant albums released so far this year, or whether it's really just rather dull.  I worry that although the songs are well polished and Sharon's voice is still wonderful, it's just a bit boring, in a pop album kind of way.  The Unforgiving is so so so much better....

Never been a fan of ANY radio edit of ANY songs by ANY bands/artists. :assassin:

It cuts down some of the best moments of the song, IMO.

Anywaaay... Mad World definitely grew on me and considered as one of my favourite Within Temptation songs! I hope they'd play this live soon...

13 hours ago, catsAreLiquid said:

Anywaaay... Mad World definitely grew on me and considered as one of my favourite Within Temptation songs!

It's very cool!! :D

The love for "Mad Love" in this thread is astonishing. I personally think it's the weakest track on Resist. The chorus is just off-putting to me, dunno, maybe it's a bit "too pop-y" for me (the melody of the chorus).

Apart from that, I truly like the album (apart from the impression that I think there's something off with Sharon's voice in terms of mixing/vocal production). I just wish it would have been a concept album and I needed a few "heavier" tracks (in terms of Within Temptation, obviously) since "Raise Your Banner" and "Trophy Hunter" are my favourite tracks on the record by miles!