Serena

Within Temptation II

1,010 posts in this topic

Mad World is a great track on Resist. Covered By Roses is an okay track on Hydra. Trophy Hunter is an awesome track on Resist, but it would have been on par with several other tracks on The Heart of Everything. Funny how that works.

I listened to The Heart of Everything the other day, and down the road it's just... better to me. Can't deny it. Same goes for The Unforgiving. And My Indigo. Three distinct styles that each speak to me more than that of Resist. Yet Resist isn't a bad album at all. It's weird. :rolleyes:

I like Covered by Roses better than Mad World. It's one of the weaker tracks on Resist for me. Not bad, but not as interesting. I often skip it and Mercy Mirror and go straight from Firelight to Trophy Hunter. 

Speaking of Firelight, I love the song, but at the same time I think it's out of place on Resist. It reminds a lot of My Indigo while being too dark for the album. It's neither here nor there. So I think it would have been better to make Firelight a bonus track (or leave it off completely, but that would be a shame, since it's a lovely song). 

Firelight just doesn't sound like Within Temptation at all. It's way too urban. It's the only track on the album that just sticks out like a sore thumb and really doesn't belong on it. My opinion of Resist hasn't changed that much though. It's a solid "in between" album. It's definitely stronger than Hydra (even though that album has a few tracks that really outclass anything on Resist, but just doesn't work as an album at all). I also like it better than Enter. But it's weaker than Mother Earth, The Silent Force and The Heart of Everything. I'd say it's about on par with The Unforgiving.

20 hours ago, Magnus said:

It's definitely stronger than Hydra (even though that album has a few tracks that really outclass anything on Resist, but just doesn't work as an album at all). I also like it better than Enter. But it's weaker than Mother Earth, The Silent Force and The Heart of Everything.

Same here!

Sort-of speaking of... Within Temptation really begins with The Silent Force for me. Heretical to some, maybe, but this is Nightwish Online and not Within Temptation Online, sooo... :P

Enter is just not my style. Mother Earth has like three or four good songs which I listen to once in a blue moon. (Title track is a classic, of course.) When I decided to complete my CD collection some time ago, I purposefully skipped getting their first two albums. Confession done.

1 hour ago, NeoGeorg said:

Sort-of speaking of... Within Temptation really begins with The Silent Force for me. Heretical to some, maybe, but this is Nightwish Online and not Within Temptation Online, sooo... :P

Enter is just not my style. Mother Earth has like three or four good songs which I listen to once in a blue moon. (Title track is a classic, of course.) When I decided to complete my CD collection some time ago, I purposefully skipped getting their first two albums. Confession done.

I join the heretical team.

The only song I enjoy from Enter is "The Other Half (Of Me)", and ME for me is the title track, Ice Queen and Dark Wings, and only if I'm in the right mood, Neverending Story and Our Farewell. Even the cover artwork doesn't make it up to me. The rest of their discography is something I love listening forth and back. Any time. Oh, and those front covers are way better than ME's.

I won the ME UK Edition a couple of years ago, and I did all my best to win that contest because I wanted THAT version, not the regular one with Sharon using the wig in the front cover. And I don't think I'll ever buy Enter. Maybe in a future contest.

7 hours ago, NeoGeorg said:

Same here. My WT CD collection also starts with The Silent Force. I do like "Restless" though, but it's probably the only song from before TSF that I'd still listen to. I never really cared for the Mother Earth album, except maybe Deceiver of Fools, but nowadays that's not as impressive a song to me as it was when I just started to listen to symphonic metal.

I feel like it's been said before, for some reason... but one old track I do like is In Perfect Harmony. It's possibly a bit too long, but there's something about the atmosphere and "raw" feeling that's very... cute. :D

3 hours ago, Serena said:

ME album is overrated!

Agreed. Sharon's vocals are so weird on Mother Earth. It's other otherwise nice though. I just think the songwriting got a lot better from The Silent Force onwards.

As far am I concerned I enjoyed every album Within Temptation have released to varying degrees. For Enter and The Dance I have to be in the mood. Enter is a bit repetitive, but it's otherwise pretty good. The Dance takes the style from Enter and perfects it. I like it a lot, but my favourite thing from their early times is the demo version of Candles. I love the guitar melody and playing it on electric guitars instead of acoustic creates a haunting atmosphere that the album version doesn't carry. The demo version is relatively close to the live performances, yet different at the same time. I would link to the demo version, but I'm not sure whether it's allowed. I can say that it's on youtube though, so it's easy to find.

On a side note, I'm lucky. I scored an original pressing of The Dance and a 2007 re-release of Enter when I first started listening to Within Temptation. But Enter has a weird glitch during Candles. In the middle of the song, there's a small silence. It's less than a second, but it's still noticeable. The Dance, on the hand, has an alternative version of Restless as hidden track. The bitrate isn't high (112 kbs), but it's there. I don't think that version is part of the re-releases and it's nice to have. Additionally, there is a gallery of old pictures and small biographies of each member. By now, they are quite outdated, but it's interesting nontheless. I wouldn't have this if it wasn't for the original release. 

The Promise and Caged are ace though. So glad they brought the former back on their current tour.

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

The Promise and Caged are ace though.

Agree! :D

Nice interview from Toronto.

A golden oldie from After Forever, 'Beyond me', with Sharon duetting with Floor.

Nice!

I'm not going to look through the comments, though, mainly so my faith in humanity isn't destroyed.
:P

Much respect to them for not being comfortably neutral. I know it's not the first time. Majority of reactions are positive, but naturally there are a few people who got offended. Good. :lol:

June is my favorite month, for many reasons.

Good on Within Temptation for promoting equality and sticking it to the bigots.

1 hour ago, NighttimeBird said:

Love it!!! :D

@Magnus

BIGOT: 

'someone who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions'.........................

Sorry to say, but it sounds like you do fit that description to a tee when it comes to respecting other person's opinions. I've noticed your lack of respect on more than one occasion. It's worryingly close to facisme...............'Agree with me or I call you anything or threaten even worse'. I think you need to look up the meaning of the word 'respect'.

You can't go round and name everyone that doesn't agree with you 'bigots' or worse. I agree and disagree with you on a regular basis, but never called you a bigot or other name. 

This is a subject close to my heart and it's why I felt the need to react. 

Within Temptation sings about it too...........'The heart of everything'.......

1 hour ago, hunebedbouwer said:

Sorry to say, but it sounds like you do fit that description to a tee when it comes to respecting other person's opinions.

That's not how it works. I don't expect to be loved by all, but I've never called someone a bigot for simply disagreeing with me about something as trivial as taste in music. I've never threatened or thrown personal insults at people whom I've disagreed with.

If you are a homophobe, then you are a bigot. Period. People don't choose their sexuality, just like they don't choose the colour of their skin. People's natural state of being are not opinions you can disagree with.

@Magnus

And here you go again....

'That's not how it works'................????

No, you should say 'I think this how it works' or 'My opinion is that....'

No matter what the issue is.  

How can you expect respect from others when you are so overbearing on others with your opinions.  You are right. they are wrong. Full stop! It's horrible.  

1 hour ago, hunebedbouwer said:

@Magnus

Not taking sides, just injecting some irreverence. Saw this zinger years ago and it stuck with me:

"I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong!"

2 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

@Magnus

And here you go again....

No, you should say 'I think this how it works' or 'My opinion is that....'

No matter what the issue is.  

How can you expect respect from others when you are so overbearing on others with your opinions.  You are right. they are wrong. Full stop! It's horrible.  

Quite right. Allow me to model my response in a similar way so that Magnus can see an example.

My opinion is that if you see a post celebrating Within Temptation supporting their queer fans, and your first reaction is to get indignant on the behalf of the poor POOR homophobes (or however you would like to refer to people who would prefer to never have to be confronted with any evidence that LGBTQ+ people exist in the world) who might not like being called bigots, then maybe you should be spending more time examining your own choices and less time lecturing people on the internet for their fairly innocuous posts in support of said band? I think this is how it works.

Did I get it right?

Anyway, back on topic, good on Within Temptation.