Serena

Within Temptation II

1,116 posts in this topic

"Raise Your Banner" is nice but the more I listen to Resist, the more I am convinced that "Trophy Hunter" is actually my favorite. I wish WT would abandon their mainstream / poppy direction and go heavier again. Then again, "Supernova" is really good too, so... I don't know.

53 minutes ago, NighttimeBird said:

"Raise Your Banner" is nice but the more I listen to Resist, the more I am convinced that "Trophy Hunter" is actually my favorite. I wish WT would abandon their mainstream / poppy direction and go heavier again. Then again, "Supernova" is really good too, so... I don't know.

I completely agree with you.

I've waited for a song like "Raise Your Banner" to happen for years. I've missed such a great Symphonic Metal piece since "The Heart Of Everything". That's the music they should be doing and which suits them best (if you ask me). 

That said, I would love them to go heavier again as well since "Trophy Hunter" is my favourite track on the album (and part of my favourite Top 10 WT songs).

BUT... "Supernova" is undeniably catchy as well and a really great track (+ WT's poppier side ain't bad either). 

That's why I believe that "Resist" is a great "compromise" of creating something new, whilst sticking to their pop side and going heavier at the same time + they throw in a bone for all Symhonic Metal lovers.

If I have to rank my Top 5 from "Resist", it would probably look like this:
#1 Trophy Hunter 
#2 Raise Your Banner
#3 Supernova
#4 The Reckoning
#5 Endless War

(t.b.h I just listen to #1-#4 frequently)

8 hours ago, Mainshow said:

It's so harsh to call a comeback album, a career-defining one even, a "solid filler album". "Resist" is basically the reason why WT didn't fell apart. The band has been on the verge of calling it quits and after "My Indigo" and other factors, Sharon and the band found a new strength and energy and were channeling it into "Resist". 

I do partly get what you're saying, though. "Resist" was very cohesive (in sound and theme) and after "Hydra", it was indeed a step into the right direction. After getting "Raise Your Banner", I would love WT to become more "Symphonic" again, though.

By "solid filler album" I don't mean that it's lacking in quality, but rather that it's not going to be remembered as among their best work but it's still a good addition to their discography.

So I listened to Resist again in the car to work this morning.  It hadn't grabbed me when I first got it, but I wondered if that was because I hadn't listened to it enough (there were many very good albums coming out around the same time!), and also I was still smarting a little after the dreadful gig of theirs I went to in Birmingham at the end of last year....

But I have to say.....I still think it's dull.  Uninspiring.  Lacking great songs.  It's not a bad album, it's just not a very good one.  Hydra is far superior to my ears, mainly as it does have some stand out tracks.  The Unforgiving is fantastic all the way through.

They seem to have lost their way.  Or if this is their "new way", they may well have lost me....

:(

24 minutes ago, GhostHell said:

Still is a bit surreal to see these two interacting in the same room :)

I had the same feeling yesterday while I watched it. I can't stop asking myself what would have happened if a co-headlining tour had happened 12 years ago? I mean, The Open Door tour + THOE tour... I would've died there for sure. (Just kidding, I was 15 back then and I wasn't able to tavel to Buenos Aires alone haha)

32 minutes ago, Damian said:

I had the same feeling yesterday while I watched it. I can't stop asking myself what would have happened if a co-headlining tour had happened 12 years ago? I mean, The Open Door tour + THOE tour... I would've died there for sure. (Just kidding, I was 15 back then and I wasn't able to tavel to Buenos Aires alone haha)

It should have happened in 2007 for sure!

Meanwhile, their fan Tarja just bought the new MH magazine:

I freaking love the friendship between them. No rivalry, but everyone supporting each other for the greater good. :clap:

5 hours ago, GhostHell said:

Still is a bit surreal to see these two interacting in the same room :)

Cool interview! :D

On 11/7/2019 at 12:21 PM, Serena said:

Opening for Iron Maiden in those huge stadiums. That is amazing! So happy for them, I guess is such a big honor for any band.

3 hours ago, GhostHell said:

Opening for Iron Maiden in those huge stadiums. That is amazing! So happy for them, I guess is such a big honor for any band.

I really wish Iron Maiden were bringing Within Temptation to Australia in their tour next year : (

Instead we get Killswitch Engage. Will WT ever play in Australia? I'm losing hope.

@GhostHell

They opened before for Iron Maiden during the 'Silent Force'-tour. At least once in Paris. It's on the Silent Force-extra's-dvd. I think it was after that mini-tour in Spain with that special performance in the Valencia railway station. Sharon looked radiant and exquisite that night!!!

Wow thank you for sharing that video! I have never seen that one before and it's in excellent quality (for that time). She sounds flawless and she's very energetic during the whole set. The only negative aspect: 24 minutes is way to short! Even for an opening/supporting act. 

@Mainshow

Hi there,

They WERE the main act in Valencia and the performance was much longer, but there is very little good recordings from that concert. They opened for Iron Maiden in Paris a few days later. 

As all WT dvd's-releases go, you get a LOT for your money, but that Silent Force release is just ridiculous........hours on hours of footage of that tour with the JAVA-island (bloody brilliant!!!) as the cherry on the cake or should I say Schwarzwalder Kirsch....:P One thing I learned from that dvd is, that their former drummer Stephen did not want to eat ANY vegetables. No wonder he looked so 'Pale'. Sharon must have written that song title with him in mind!:giggle:

Also, for what you get, the dvd is cheap as chips when you buy it nowadays! 

2 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

@Mainshow

Hi there,

They WERE the main act in Valencia and the performance was much longer, but there is very little good recordings from that concert. They opened for Iron Maiden in Paris a few days later. 

As all WT dvd's-releases go, you get a LOT for your money, but that Silent Force release is just ridiculous........hours on hours of footage of that tour with the JAVA-island (bloody brilliant!!!) as the cherry on the cake or should I say Schwarzwalder Kirsch....:P One thing I learned from that dvd is, that their former drummer Stephen did not want to eat ANY vegetables. No wonder he looked so 'Pale'. Sharon must have written that song title with him in mind!:giggle:

Also, for what you get, the dvd is cheap as chips when you buy it nowadays! 

Oh gosh, that's part of that DVD?! - I watched it like 12 years ago and tbh, I can only remember the JAVA Island concert. I think I need to go back watching it again over the upcoming holidays!