Nienor

Album of the year 2018

11 posts in this topic

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, forum! I've been absent for a while and probably won't be very active this year too.

Strange how this topic is missing. Here you can rate the best releases for the 2018 in your list.

Here comes me with some of the albums that grabbed my attention:

3. Seventh Wonder - Tiara. 8/10

Probably because it was long waited album for me I'm quite picky. It has great moments musically. The concept however is not that much interesting, or at least hadn't been shown that good as for example Mercy Falls. (What a comparation)

2. Riverside - Wasteland. 9/10

It is not an easy task to come up with a gem as this, especially if you loose one of the masterminds behind your music in such horrific way. Riverside succeeded.

1. Amorphis - Queen of Time 10/10

Under the red cloud there's the tresure of the great musicianship. Amorphis really outdid themselves with this one. Easily the best album they've released after Elegy and this tells a lot. 

Not even a question for me:

MaYaN - Dhyana

I went in as not much of a fan, I liked the concept but didn't really appreciate their first 2 albums. Still, I decided to give the project the benefit of the doubt and supported the crowdfunding for the 3rd. Then when the album came, it totally blew me away. I've rarely heard music of such high quality. It's so deep and complex yet all the parts are so masterfully fit together, I don't think I'll ever get bored of this.

Amorphis-Queen of Time. 

Seriously, they reinvented themselves while still sounding like themselves. It's a really good album and I dare to say their best one since 2007's Silent Waters. The orchestral arrangements are really good, the drums sound tight and Tomi is as powerful a voice as he's ever been. A must have and listen. 

Runner-Ups:

Therion-Beloved Antichrist

I don''t like to call this an album, because it's not really one per se. It's an opera in the more traditional sense. And it makes a really good job at it. It's complex and subtle when it needs to and powerful at the same time while telling a really unconventional story. Many people disliked it because sometimes the band is too much at the background, but that's because they also let the singers shine and tell the story. As always, Thomas and Lori do a wonderful job, as well as all the guste singers, which also include Visons of Altantis' Melissa Ferlaak.

Auri-Auri

Yup. We're on the NW forum, so this was gonna pop out. It's a really cinematic album, as always with Mr. Holopainen, but a different kind of cinematic. This time instead iof being epic and grandiose, it's like the soundtrack to an art film about nature and the wild. It's relaxing and soothing, yet powerful when it needs to. And it even has a keyboard solo performed by a horse. 

Mayan-Dhyana.

While their  first record was really good, their second was kind of...just there..but perhaps they needed a new singer who could provide inspirtion and my fellow mexican Marcela does a really good job at that. The orchestral arrangements are tight and Marcela and Laura show why they are some of the finest singers in the genre. Really good.

#5: The Pineapple Thief - Dissolution

Not much to say here, just a great album overall.

#4: External - The Blurry Horizon

A new, young and promising prog/thrash band from Finland. I actually know them pretty well and have worked as their tech a few times, but even without the bias this album is rock-solid. If you dig Periphery, Leprous, Haken and prog metal in general, def give these guys a shot.

#3: Riverside - Wasteland

This year was strong for prog and the Poles did an amazing job.

#2: Haken - Vector

Now we get to the heavy-hitting stuff. Vector is probably the best prog album I've heard in a while. Amazing heavy riffs, and once you think it builds to a massive bridge, the guys just throw half a minute of jazz at you. Fucking amazing. Such a solid album.

#1: Muse - Simualtion Theory

Ah yes. I'll admit, I'm biased as a superfan of Muse, but hey. Simulation Theory is easily their best album in over 10 years(best since BHAR) and I love it. Some people don't seem to appreaciate the goofier elements and throwbacks, but I love them. Goofy Muse is probably the best Muse.

I'm still digesting albums from this year, but of the ones I have listened to in depth, there are 2 stand-outs:

AURI - this is just a really stunning and beautiful album. Johanna's voice is gorgeous. I really hope there will be more AURI somewhere down the line, but if not, hey - what a gem we've had😎 stand out track - Desert Flower

Ghost - Prequelle: this was on serious rotation for weeks, couldn't get enough of it, brilliant from start to finish! Danse Macabre is such an addictive song, a rock song you can dance to! Yay!! My album of the year, just....

Can see I'm going to have to try some others though - Muse, Riverside, Amorphous, MaYaN? Gotta love this forum, I've discovered some great music over the last couple of years 👍

10. Turnstile - Time & Space
One of the more adventurous hardcore/punk albums I've heard over the last few years - almost reminds me of an older band called Leeway in the way they blend different sounds together.

09. Kamelot - The Shadow Theory
Doesn't reinvent the wheel, but I was mostly satisfied with it.

08. Pennywise - Never Gonna Die
This band hardly ever changes its style, but if it ain't broke don't fix it I guess!

07. The Interrupters - Fight the Good Fight 
Ska is back, baby.

06. Judas Priest - Firepower
Who knew they had such a wonderful album in 'em at this point in their career?

05. Immortal - Northern Chaos Gods
It's clear this band doesn't need Abbath to make ripping music, surprisingly satisfying album!

04. Alkaline Trio - Is This Thing Cursed?
Some grade A angst right here, and infectiously catchy hooks!

03. Visigoth - Conqueror's Oath
Probably the best traditional, straight forward heavy metal album released in 2018 - every song's a winner!

02. Arion - Life is Not Beautiful
A new power metal discovery for me, and a super good one at that - really loved this album.

01. Amorphis - Queen of Time
Kings of Finnish metal, perfect album - can't think of a single bad moment through the whole thing, this includes the bonus tracks

In no order:

Hawlords - Brave new world

Deicide - Overtures of blasphemy

Immortal - Northern chaos gods

Amaranthe - Helix

Dark Sarah -  The golden moth

Pestilence - Hadeon

Pungent Stench - Smut kingdom

Ayreon universe - The best of Ayreon live

LEAH - The quest

Inquisitor – Stigmata Me, I’M In Misery

Watain - Trident wolf eclipse

As already posted in the German subforum:

1. Midnattsol - The Aftermath
2. Gåte - Svevn
3. Madder Mortem - Marrow
4. Qntal - Nachtblume
5. Lovebites - Clockwork Immortality
6. The Mystery of the Bulgarian Voices feat. Lisa Gerrard - BooCheeMish
7. Voivod - The Wake

The first three albums are nearly on par with each other.

No particular order:

A Perfect Circle - Eat The Elephant
Amorphis - Queen Of Time
And Then She Came - Kaosystematiq
Antimatter - Black Market Elightenment
Bad Wolves - Disobey
Editors - Violence
Enemy Inside - Phoenix
Habitants - One Self
Die Kammer - Some T#ings Wrong
Lord Of The Lost - Thornstar
Rhoads & Shoes - Left Unsaid
Scarlet Dorn - Lack Of Light

The album of the year for me was definitely My Dark Symphony by Conception. Not just the return of Roy Khan, but the return of an awesome band! Gimme moar!

Also Auri - Auri was such a refreshing surprise. 

I'm going to check out some of the records you're naming, guys, I had no idea some bands had new stuff out!

Was a very quiet year on the record-front for me. Other activities occupied my time. But at least three of them come to mind.

Alice In Chains - Rainier Fog

Amorphis - Queen Of Time

Riverside - Wasteland

Must be more active this year.