hunebedbouwer

THE QUEST FOR THIS FORUM'S FAVOURITE NIGHTWISH SONGS (LIVE AND ALL)

69 posts in this topic

With Nightwish' new album probably a bit more than 1 year away, I thought it would be a nice idea to find out which NW songs do the hardcore fans (presumably this forum :dwarf:) consider their most favourite. The new album could ofcourse blow this quest totally apart. Let's hope so! Ofcourse it will always be debatable for many reasons, but that's part of the fun. Loads of fans with lots of different opinions on the same song...........great!

But this is going to be a bit different for a couple of reasons:

A) Everybody gets 25 points to vote for songs.

B) You cannot vote for more than 15 songs! Which immediately means that some songs will get more than 1 point.

C) The minimum amount is therefore 1 point, the maximum is 5 points for a song. So, if you really like a specific NW song, you can give it the maximum amount of 5 Points!  Therefore the amount of songs you can post can vary from 5 to 15, depending how you divide your points. But ofcourse you don't NEED to name 15 songs!  Maybe you think that NW doesn't have 15 good songs!:giggle: You need to put the amount of points behind the song title.

D) All officially released songs on CD's  AND DVD's are legitimate contenders! Also instrumental versions.

E) The big edition is that also LIVE songs from concerts on YouTube are allowed to vote for. Example: When you heard NW at a concert in Ouagadougou playing a magnificent version of 'The islander', you are allowed to vote for it.

BUT YOU HAVE TO BACK UP WITH A VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!! Not only as proof, but also to let other fans and voters enjoy this version!!  The thought behind this idea is, that good live bands as NW certainly is, can deliver better and more emotional, different and extended versions of songs than the studio versions. 

F) Every member gets 1 post to write down their favourite NW songs. You are allowed to change your list as much as you want till the deadline, which is on the 11TH OF AUGUST 2019.......so 6 months. But you are yourself responsible for changing that Original post, as I will only count those lists. It's pretty much undoable (and I don't like to do it:P) to take the changes into my counting AND I can't change your lists!!  

G) Ofcourse everybody can comment, react or support to others in this thread. It would be nice if this is going to be a lively thread.

H) So, in fact............if you really, really, really like 'Song of myself', you could in fact post 5 different versions of that song, giving them all 5 point each.     

i) Order of writing it down: Song title - which version + name/place of live gig - amount of points

Example how it could be:

Song of myself - Wacken 2013 (Showtime, Storytime) - 5 points

The last of the wilds - album - 2 points

The islander - Tampere 2015 (Vehicle of Spirit) - 2 points

Ghost love score - Buenos Aires 2012 - 2 points

Ghost love score - Wacken 2013 (Showtime, Storytime) - 5 points

Bye bye beautiful - album - 1 point

The poet and the pendulum - Wembley 2015 (Vehicle of Spirit) - 5 points

The poet and the pendulum - Mexico City 2015 (Vehicle of Spirit) - 3 points

(total 25 points)

Questions?????

No doubt!

Ask them.

Now I'm gonna think about which 5 versions of 'The greatest show on earth' I will post.................:giggle: 

Great idea! I will definitely leave my ranking sometime soon!

I may have prefered only album versions though. I think it will be chaos with everyone posting different versions :P

On 2/11/2019 at 3:14 PM, hunebedbouwer said:

Bye bye beautiful - album - 1 point

If anyone gives this song any points, I will be very depressed. :P

And this is quite a hard challenge.  I...have no idea how I could even get close to doing this.  I still can't even figure out what my favourite NW album is.  How on earth am I going to decide which songs to allocate points to!?  But, I suppose I have to start somewhere (and since I know I love to procrastinate, I better put something up now) and so here is my "off the top of my head" list, which shall surely change later, once I ponder this a bit more...(and as I decide which live versions I want to use):

Pharaoh Sails to Orion - From Wishes to Eternity - 3 points

Beauty of the Beast - Amsterdam '02 - 3 points

Dead Boy's Poem - From Wishes to Eternity - 3 points

FantasMic(pt.3) - From Wishes to Eternity - 1 pt

Poet and the Pendulum - Orlando '15 - 1 pt (ok, I confess, this is mainly because I was there)

The Kinslayer - From Wishes to Eternity - 2 pt

Planet Hell - End of an Era - 2 pt

EDIT: Added below 17/4:

Deep Silent Complete - Amsterdam '02 - 2 pt

EDIT: Added below 30/04:

End of All Hope - Summer Breeze festival '02 - 1 pt

I will be updating this of course.  PatP will need a better live performance, which I will find.  Also will try and find a better Kinslayer performance.

18 points used up as of 30/04/2019

12 minutes ago, Imagineer said:

Great idea! I will definitely leave my ranking sometime soon!

I may have prefered only album versions though. I think it will be chaos with everyone posting different versions :P

Agree on that :P

So, I will simply put the studio versions...

1. Swanheart – 1 pt

2. Scaretale – 1 pt

3. Ever Dream – 1 pt

4. She's my Sin – 1 pt

5. The Siren – 1 pt

6. Slow Love Slow – 1 pt

7. Escapist – 1 pt

8. Angels Fall First – 2 pt

9. Elvenpath – 2 pt

10. Passion and the Opera – 2 pt

11. Sahara – 2 pt

12. FantasMic – 2 pts
  13. Come Cover Me – 2 pts

14. Beauty of the Beast – 3 pts

15. Sleeping Sun '99 – 3 pts

It's hard to pick just 15!

If @hunebedbouwer allows me... I will paste the rest of the links tomorrow, as I'm a bit busy now :P

@Imagineer

Yes, I do understand your 'chaos fearing problems', but I am convinced that a lot of fans do PREFER certain live versions to the studio ones. And the choice for live versions also makes this quest a lot more interesting and LIVELY!:D

I don't forsee any chaos problems, only when  I did not explain the rules clear enough. Say so.

@whitelagoon

Studio versions don't need links. There are only 1 of them. Only live, instrumental, remastered versions etc. need an explanation. Relax, you got till the 11th of August! AND you can change whatever you like till then.

@Encaitar

Nice going!

@hunebedbouwer

There will be lot's of counting for you. 

And I'm going to go with live versions:

-7 Days To The Wolves - Wembley (Vehicle Of Spirit)  4 points

-She Is My Sin - Pakkahuone, Tampere (From Wishes to Eternity) 4 points.

I used to listen to the CD-version of this on repeat way back then. Jukka's drumming is just fantastic, btw. 

-Song Of Myself - Wacken ( Showtime, Storytime) 4 points

-Sacrament Of Wilderness - Pakkahuone, Tampere (From Wishes to Eternity) 3 points

-Everdream - Wacken (Showtime, Storytime). 3 points

I could listen to Floor's soft singing in beginning for hours. 

-The Siren - Hartwall Arena (End Of An Era) 2 points

And 5 points goes to this one. If there is one performance that pretty much sums up all the reasons for my new interest for the whole band, it's this one:

-Ghost Love Score -  (Buenos Aires 2012)

@harvest

I like doing the maths..........I often come short of pocket money at the end of the month, so you better make sure that the end results are correct. Another job for you :P!

One of the advantages of this thread is also, that I can dig a bit deeper into NW's older songs, as I feel, I don't know enough about those.

However, your no.3 is totally on point!!:ok:

I do sooooo love that version!!!

Ok, judging by the songs I always come back to currently (which may be totally different in 6 months):

1. Romanticide - Wacken 2013 live - 4 points

It's the song that got me really into Nightwish after seeing it on Youtube ca. 2 years ago.

2. Slaying the dreamer - album version - 3 points

Love the angry lyrics. Took the album version because imo the live version from End of an Era is pretty bad, both from an editing and a vocal point.

3. The Islander - Tampere 2015 live - 3 points

My favourite NW ballad. Plus I love the whole visual aspect of Marco standing in a sea of people with the wind and the dramatic sky.

4. Weak Fantasy - Tampere 2015 live - 2 points

Fun performance and I really like the lyrics.

5. Dead to the World - album version - 2 points

6. Yours is an Empty Hope - album version - 2 points

Floor growling is awesome.

7. Song of Myself - Wacken 2013 live - 2 points

I don't like the poem at the end of the album version so this is perfect for me.

8. Greatest Show on Earth - Tampere 2015 live - 2 points

The synchronised fireworks still make me smile every time. And the toolmaker is just great for audience participation.

9. Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean - live at Bloodstock 2018 - 2 Points

10. Planet Hell - Official live - 2 Points

11. I wish I had an angel - album version - 1 point

Looking at the list, I guess I feel more drawn to the angry "heavy" than to the "symphonic" metal side of the Nightwish repertoire. 

Yeee Gods you've made this complicated!

So I'll keep it simple: all album versions:

Ghost Love Score - 5

The Greatest Show On Earth - 5

The Poet And The Pendulum - 4

Storytime - 4

I Want My Tears Back - 3

Walking In The Air - 3

Elan - 1

:music:

47 minutes ago, icebreaker said:

Looking at the list, I guess I feel more drawn to the angry "heavy" than to the "symphonic" metal side of the Nightwish repertoire. 

Definitely got that vibe as I was going through your list!  Then I wondered...why don't you like Weak Fantasy?  Scrolled back up to check and sure enough you did list it, I'd just missed seeing it :P

Thanks for the vids too - I'm enjoying listening now.

1 hour ago, Encaitar said:

Definitely got that vibe as I was going through your list!  Then I wondered...why don't you like Weak Fantasy?  Scrolled back up to check and sure enough you did list it, I'd just missed seeing it :P

Thanks for the vids too - I'm enjoying listening now.

Yeah, I usually prefer more straight up power metal, Nightwish being somewhat the outlier to my taste. 

Thank you for your list too, I'm relatively new to the fandom so there is a lot of early Tarja stuff I haven't seen yet. 

I'll take the more fun part of this, and post my favourite live versions. I've been long enough in this fandom to experience quite some song rankings, so let's see it from a different angle!

Ghost Love Score, Montreal 2004 - 5p

Wishmaster, EOAE 2005 - 5p

Ever Dream, Festimad 2005 - 2p

Ghost Love Score, Bucharest 2004 - 2p

End Of All Hope, Summer Breeze 2002 - 2p

Beauty Of The Beast, Amsterdam 2002 - 2p

The Kinslayer, RMJ Festival 2003 - 2p

She Is My Sin, M'era Luna 2003 - 2p

And some which were never played live yet I still have to mention because I love them too much:

Away, album - 1p

Feel For You, album - 1p

Astral Romance, album - errr... from OTHAFA let's say, just because I prefer Tony over Tuomas in it  - 1p

This is what came to my mind at first. But there are a couple of more songs I want to squeeze into the list, so I will come back to this later!

I'll tell ya all.......it's a lot harder than you think........many songs and just 25 points!

Here's my outcome, though it may change a bit, but not much.

Creek Mary's Blood - End Of An Era - 2

The Poet And The Pendulum - Wembley 2015/Vehicle of Spirit - 5 

I just can't get enough of this one! And the Mexico City being a solid contender, but I had to choose.

Tutankhamen - album version - 1

Ever Dream - End Of An Era - 1

My first acquaintance with NW. Yes on YouTube. I was hooked and got in to the band. Why 1 point then? Well......there were so many other songs to choose from.......:pardon:

Ghost Love Score - Wacken 2013/Showtime, Storytime - 4

Song Of Myself - Wacken 2013/Showtime, Storytime - 5

The Islander - Glasgow/13-11-2012 - 1

One camera/one point of view/all members in one shot/fantastic crowd particpation/Floor only 1  month there/the vibe!

The Last Of The Wilds - Wacken/Showtime, Storytime - 4

I love the Gaellic vibe of this instrumental! And it's good to see Emppu & Troy in the spotlights and do their thing in a compellin way! That's why I also like the second half of Nemo at Wacken.

Sleeping Sun - album - 1

Tarja's version is the one that moves me the most, although Floor does a briljant job at Tampere 2015! 

Last Ride Of The Day - Imaginaerum concert at Hartwall 2012 - 1 

This version with Marco and his helmet is just out of this world. Also the little move by Floor's hand is adorable! Just shows how one's perception can be influenced and totally subjective! The vibe at this concert was incredible!!

Great idea!

Here's my list:

Live versions:

Ghost Love Score from Buenes Aires 2012: 5 points

To me, this is performance is the perfect version of Ghost Love Score. Floor really pours her soul into and transforms the song into her own. Tarja's version feels flat in comparison. Anette's version from Hartwall 2009 is pretty good, but this something else. 

The Siren live from Sankt Petersburg 2012: 2 points

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBnZyYtfOpc

My favourite version of The Siren. Anette deviates quite a lot from the original, but she really makes it her own. She has a creative to interpret the siren's call and I really like that.

Planet Hell live from Sir Studios 2012: 2 points

Great version of Planet Hell. Anette really makes song come alive. Tarja's version doesn't feel angry enough in comparison to this one (As you can tell, I'm not a great fan of Tarja's vocals on Once. In my opionion, the album was written with contemporary vocals in mind that Tarja couldn't deliver at that time.)

Ghost Love Score Hartwall Arena 2009: 2 points

Walking in the Air Hartwall 2009: 1 point

An acoustic performance of Walking the air. I like how soft it sound and the flute sounds mesmerising. This one is a version that edited the best sound videos of the event together to a single performance. It's not perfect, but the best version I could find and the one I listen to.

The Phantom of the Opera (End of an Era performance): 1 point

The studio version is tame compared to the performance on End of an Era. I love Tarja's high notes at end and Marco's interpretation of the phantom is great. 

Studio:

Scaretale: 3 points

Anette's signature piece. No one can sing it like her. I love how she acts with her voice.

While Your Lips Are still Red: 2 points

I love Marco's soft voice and I wish he would use it more often. 

The Escapist: 2 points

One of the songs from the Dark Passion Play era and it's not even on the album.

Dead Boy's Poem: 2 points

Gethsemane: 2 points

The Pharao Sails to Orion: 1 point

Edited by The Name Of The Wind
Deleted Sleeping Sun and The Heart Asks Pleasure First. Giving these points to Ghost Love Score from Hartwall Arena 2009 instead.

53 minutes ago, hunebedbouwer said:

The Islander - Glasgow/13-11-2012 - 1

One camera/one point of view/all members in one shot/fantastic crowd particpation/Floor only 1  month there/the vibe!

Yes!!  I was there.  My first time seeing NW in person ^_^

< Alright, this seems fun, so let’s give it a shot :D >

Alpenglow
(5 pts)

> I’m not entirely sure why exactly this one stuck as it did, but it is my favourite song since release. Of any band. I admit it may not be their most complex piece (or their best in an objective sense) but it is and always will be a great way to turn a sad day into a great one. The lyrics strike a nice balance between being imaginative and being direct without being cheesy. Also, this song’s build up and chrous are perfect; I wonder why it never was released for a single after all (though in the We Were Here book they claim the label wanted it to be exactly that and the band decided against it. Shame, because even the artwork in the booklet is just so wonderful I would have loved it on a cover.)

Sahara
(3 pts)

> I remember first listening to it and not liking it that much (though I found the intro already insanely catchy). This one did really grow on me, it is one of their more experimental tracks and works far more well that it seems at first sight. Anette really nails the vocals and I don’t know why, but I like the middle section that clearly inspired the one in Storytime a couple of years later. It is a shame the album itself is so compressed, after I (finally) got my hands on a copy of the DVD-Audio version (which is also compressed but by far not as much) I had a much easier time learning to appreciate this great song.

Weak Fantasy
(3 pts) 

> This one needed a lot of time to grow on me but eventually won me over with how catchy it is, something I only realized after humming it randomly in the middle of the day. I like the lyrics, they are very clear in their message, without being offensive (though I realize not everyone shares this particular opinion). There is not that much more to say, really, I just like it for what it is.

Romanticide
(3 pts)

> There seemingly was a somewhat consensus in many reviews that I read for Once that this track is a filler. I think the song has a great build-up and the break of their basic song structure with the part Marco does nicely shakes things up. The chorus is admittingly nothing to write home about. the verses and the aforementioned part are though. I’m not so thrilled about *OD* in the lyrics which I think means *overdose* but other than that I like this one very much. The uncompressed DVD-Audio version sounds infinitely better; that certainly helped to appreciate this song a lot.

The Greatest Show on Earth

(3 pts)

> The fanbase seems torn on whether this is the masterpiece the band announced prior to album release. I think it is. I’m a huge Dawkins fan, the lines he recites are wonderful (and well-placed; metal bands often have a hard time just placing voice overs, Nightwish usually excels at that at least in my opinion). The topic is genuinely interesting and the shouting of we were here still does send some shivers down my spine (especially live). I love how the lyrics manage to be very descriptive without feeling forced or empty. The respective chapters could be easily divided into single songs, some see that as a weakness but I think it helps making everything a lot more acessible. The song is more like a small concept EP in that regard. I can see why the animal noises in the end aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, I skip them too sometimes, but they give the album as a whole a nice ending touch an they just fit thematically that I can easily live with them taking three or four minutes (That said, The Greatest Show on Earth is a debatable opener for a compilation still).

< Alright these were my favourite five, now to the sweet rest >

Escapist

(1 pt)

> Just a nice track with an interesting build up, an infectious chorus and nice vocals (that Anette was able to pull off live quite nicely). Should have replaced Amaranth as an album track and as a single, this one is severely underappreciated (mostly by the band who seems to be not at all interested in performing it live these days).

Devil & the Deep Dark Ocean

(1 pt)

> Power Metal at its finest; the middle section where the guitars and the keys duel each other is just pure awesomeness.

Last of the Wilds

(1 pt)

> Just a nice instrumental (though the version with Jonsu is nice too, especially the lyrics themselves) that is easy to digest and is basically always a go-to song for me.

Feel For You

(1 pt)

> Kind of underrated if you ask me. The verses are rather magical and the chorus really does stick. Definetly my favourite from Century Child.

Slow, Love, Slow

(1 pt)

> Their best balladesque song in my opinion. The vocals are nearly perfect and this is a perfect example of an orchestra enhancing a song. The instrumental and orchestral versions deserve a mention too, they each have a slightly different vibe to them that just works for me at least.

Élan

(1 pt)

> Many people don’t like this one, not sure why (though I have a hunch it is more about expectations that weren’t met), because it is perfect single material. I like the instrumental version and would almost have picked it, but the lyrics of the album version are just so well written that I couldn’t.

Arabesque

(1 pt)

> For the short pleasure it is, I dig it a lot for the fabulous arrangement and overall drive. It really underscored the soundtrack aspect of Imaginaerum and I percieve it more as this exciting piece of a soundtrack that an interlude.

Storytime

(1 pt)

> The first song of theirs that I really loved so this one is especially dear to me for nostalgic reasons. The orchestration is way over the top and I love it. I could have done without the weird effect on Anette’s vocals though (you should check out the demo version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZp9mt8nImc) if you’re not sure what I’m talking about. I think they doubled it or something like that in the final version to make her sound more powerful).

< All songs are meant to be the regular album version, I almost forgot to mention that. I really love to read what you folks think :D >

That Planet Hell track live from Sir Studio is fantastic! I love how the guys are fooling around and Anette's vocals are absolutely on point. Perhaps that is one I will edit into my post. 

Also love Marco with the helmet in Last Ride of the Day.

@Adrn_2810

Your list is certainly different and it sucks to be honest!!!:P:D:giggle:

Well, you really wanted to know other opinions..........nah just kidding.

I think it's great that everyone has his/her own choice.....I mean choices are so subjective. I like your choice for 'Last of the wilds', because I really like that one. On the other hand , I don't understand your 'Elan' choice, because I think it's a bit boring and there are so many more exiting songs. But you probably don't agree with my choices. Otherwise you would have picked some of those.

I will honestly admit that some of your choices don't ring a bell with me like 'Feel for you' and 'Arabesque'. I must have played them more than once, but I can't recall them somehow. Age, memory and all that, I think. But that's the beauty of these lists........you do get an update on a lot of  NW songs. So, I will play those tonight to see if I like them or why I have forgotten them.

Question: why no live versions?      

Hahaa, not surprised at all, it *does* suck, but I cannot choose what I like. 😂

I think they have /better/ songs in that there are more ambitious pieces but what makes a favourite is determined by other criteria. I stand firmly behind Élan as I was listening to it a lot lately, despite me being very indifferent to it when it was released. I somehow think that it would be okay-er if I said Nemo instead, albeit that both are very similar in terms of structure and all that. Not every song has to be exciting as to go from 0 to a 100 immediately. I like the melody, especially in the verses, the positive vibe it spreads and that it is not trying to be bigger than it is. Of course, everything is relative, but this is a rather modest track and that is a nice change of pace.

I hate to be a blasphemer but I do not care so much about the vocals of Tarja. I dig their old stuff a lot, but I got into them while Imaginaerum was brand new and only did so because I am a huge sucker for orchestral music in general, so I generally prefer their post Once stuff. I used to listen to the instrumental versions a lot (still hoping the ones for Once are going to see the light of day at some point). That said Floor is their best singer, no doubt about it (at least in my book).

As for live versions, I like them, but since I first and foremost care about the music underneath the vocals (and because while being impressive live they still do not shake things up that much really) I usually prefer the studio versions. If they used a real orchester live, I might see things slightly differently though.

You know what /really/ sucks -- I think EFMB is their best album 😏

4 hours ago, Adrn_2810 said:

Hahaa, not surprised at all, it *does* suck, but I cannot choose what I like. 😂

I think they have /better/ songs in that there are more ambitious pieces but what makes a favourite is determined by other criteria. I stand firmly behind Élan as I was listening to it a lot lately, despite me being very indifferent to it when it was released. I somehow think that it would be okay-er if I said Nemo instead, albeit that both are very similar in terms of structure and all that. Not every song has to be exciting as to go from 0 to a 100 immediately. I like the melody, especially in the verses, the positive vibe it spreads and that it is not trying to be bigger than it is. Of course, everything is relative, but this is a rather modest track and that is a nice change of pace.

I hate to be a blasphemer but I do not care so much about the vocals of Tarja. I dig their old stuff a lot, but I got into them while Imaginaerum was brand new and only did so because I am a huge sucker for orchestral music in general, so I generally prefer their post Once stuff. I used to listen to the instrumental versions a lot (still hoping the ones for Once are going to see the light of day at some point). That said Floor is their best singer, no doubt about it (at least in my book).

As for live versions, I like them, but since I first and foremost care about the music underneath the vocals (and because while being impressive live they still do not shake things up that much really) I usually prefer the studio versions. If they used a real orchester live, I might see things slightly differently though.

You know what /really/ sucks -- I think EFMB is their best album 😏

I really could have written this post.  Main difference is I came to the band post-release of EFMB, but otherwise....

Well this thread does indeed show how different tastes can be. :P For instance I really really really dislike that version of Planet Hell with Anette. And EFMB is not their best album in my list by far, not the weakest either, but even with my issues with Anette as a singer and with all my appreciation for Floor, I think even DPP is a better album than EFMB. 

And about the couple of posts above - apparently I am among the older Nw fans here btw, wow... - from the musical perspective, vocals aside, I love their sound in general. I love their orchestral stuff. And I love their power metal stuff. I even like their folk-ish sound - not as much, but I enjoy it. But despite this I didn't enjoy their newer albums as much as I did the ones they made with Tarja, her voice was a very important factor for me in truly liking the band and calling it my fave in the first place. Hence I made this list from that era.

I do like quite some of Floor's versions too, just not so particularly, probably also because I was not that much into the band anymore when she joined, so that might play a role in why I don't care that much about their recent stuff... but could we have given more points some performances would have made the list.

I most of the time, don't even know what am I still doing on this forum tbh. :lol: Probably trying to re-live the awesome times from 10-15 years ago which I associate with my love for this band in some messy times... maybe.

@Adrn_2810

'Slow love slow' almost made it on my list, but just missed out. I'm talking about Floor's version at the Imaginaerum concert in November 2012. Nobody expected her to do that song, but suddenly it was there and how she pulled that one off! Incredible, because I think that's not an easy song to sing and to learn in a short time.

Listened to 'Arabesque' and 'Feel for you' tonight. While 'Arabesque easily could have been a film piece, but nah,......not speaking to me. However, 'Feel for you' is a very nice song! Close enough, but still can't threaten any of my chosen songs.

* I might have to make some place for the Buenos Aires-version of 'Ghost love score'. Although preferring the Wacken 2013 one, it felt just not right not to give the Argentinian one no points for all kinds of reasons. It's such a outstanding version!   

@Sophia

Wholly agree with you that DPP is a (far) better album than EFMB. The problem are the live versions with Anette. Couldn't find one video where she was better than Floor or Tarja.:pardon:But I really do enjoy some songs by her on the 2 albums that she did.

You're doing fine on this forum. We all enjoy your company and old aged wise words and choices. I do hope, you do enjoy the old stuff now in a better place and state of mind!:sunny:

Now, about those thousands of points you want to give out.................it's not gonna happen. This is not the bloody Eurovison  's.....' Contest!!

'Small & less is beautiful' and all of that......making choices is good for everyone!:giggle: 

26 minutes ago, hunebedbouwer said:

You're doing fine on this forum. We all enjoy your company and old aged wise words and choices. I do hope, you do enjoy the old stuff now in a better place and state of mind!:sunny:

Oh wait, if you were not just being fluently sarcastic then, nope, I am not that old, lmao! I just meant that I've been a fan for a longer time than many people seem to be here. I am not even thirty yet, pretty please. :laugh: (But apparently I am old enough not to want to be seen as more than I am, lol.)

But thanks a lot anyway! :laugh: 

26 minutes ago, hunebedbouwer said:

Now, about those thousands of points you want to give out.................it's not gonna happen. This is not the bloody Eurovison  's.....' Contest!!

'Small & less is beautiful' and all of that......making choices is good for everyone!:giggle: 

But it's not a sin that I like plenty of things and wish that I could embrace and put them all in the spotlight, is it? :pardon:Yeah, it might be, if there's too many stuff it becones a blur, and I didn't do much with it... :pinch: You've got the point, making choices is good.

Wow, very interesting thread! I love seeing what songs other people deeply care for, and there are some great videos linked in this thread. Here is my contribution:

The Poet and the Pendulum - Live at Teatro Metropólitan - 4 pts

This song has always been special to me. Firstly, I became a fan in 2008 (if I remember right), and Dark Passion Play was what got me into Nightwish. This is by far the most impressive song of the album in my opinion. It's more than just a song... it's a hauntingly beautiful musical journey. And Floor just nailed it in the above version. The Wembley version is really good too, but still I find myself listening to the above one when I have the choice.

Beauty Of The Beast - 4 pts

Century Child was my favorite Nightwish album for a long time after I discovered it. I think it still is, though I don't often think about albums in terms like "favorite" anymore. This song though, is just amazing. I'd buy the album and go to a show just for this one song. I'm listening to it as I'm writing this and I have tears in my eyes again.

Storytime - Live at Wembley Arena - 3 pts

Initially one of the less impressive songs of Imaginaerum to me, the Vehicle Of Spirit release changed that. Floor changed an "OK" song into something mind-blowing.

Song of Myself - 3 pts

Another amazing musical journey in a single song. For this one though, I prefer the album version. There are some quality live versions out there (like Showtime, Storytime), but they don't have the magic of the album version for me.

Rest Calm - 3 pts

The other highlight of the Imaginaerum album for me. I was impressed since I first heard it and it has only grown on me since.

The Greatest Show On Earth - 2 pts

This was a tough one to rank. Musically, it's perhaps Nightwish's best song ever. At the same time though, the "magic" that NW's music so often had is not really present here anymore. Not on the entire EFMB album, if I'm honest. Also, I really disagree with Dawkin's words. Still, I enjoy listening to this every now and then, and I love the climatic moment of "we were here". I once again prefer the album version though, I don't like it as much live. Especially the "we were here", on the live versions it feels exaggerated somehow. On the album it's just right.

Sahara - 2 pts

Hard to explain, I just love this song. One of the first NW songs I ever heard, it might have even been the very first one.

Now, to finish off with some 1 pointers:

Sleeping Sun - 1 pt

Ocean Soul - 1 pt

Feel For You - 1 pt

Cadence Of Her Last Breath - 1 pt

Does this add up to 25? I hope it does :)

Honorable mentions that I couldn't give points to anymore:

- all of Century Child

- Eva

- The Islander

- The Crow, The Owl And The Dove

- Deep Silent Complete

- Dead Boy's Poem

- Ghost Love Score

5 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

The problem are the live versions with Anette. Couldn't find one video where she was better than Floor or Tarja.:pardon:

I DO!! :D

** leaves running **

On 2/12/2019 at 10:01 PM, Adrn_2810 said:

Arabesque

(1 pt)

> For the short pleasure it is, I dig it a lot for the fabulous arrangement and overall drive. It really underscored the soundtrack aspect of Imaginaerum and I percieve it more as this exciting piece of a soundtrack that an interlude.

Wow, I'm surprised to see Arabesque!! It's one of my favourite instrumentals!