hunebedbouwer

THE QUEST FOR THIS FORUM'S FAVOURITE NIGHTWISH SONGS (LIVE AND ALL)

38 posts in this topic

This is a great thread! It is really hard to choose but I'll try anyway.

1. Ghost Love Score - Wacken 2013 - 5 pts

I wasn't actually a big fan of the studio version originally but this live version is truly epic. It definitely wasn't bad by any means of course but to me it felt just 'nice' and nothing more but all that has completely changed since. It has become my go to Nightwish song whenever I try explain this band and its music to someone. It gives me goosebumps every single time even after all these years and no other song in the world does that quite like this one. Simply perfect.

2. The Poet And The Pendulum - Album version - 4 pts

I first heard of Nightwish right before the release of Once. The first album I listened to must have been Century Child and I was so new to the band that I didn't have time to get hyped up for Once before it came out. Dark Passion Play was the first Nightwish album that I was really looking forward to with excitement. When I finally got the album and listened to it I was blown away by this opening masterpiece. It has everything I could possibly want from a Nightwish song. I love live renditions of it sung by Floor but the biggest bombastic epicness can only be found on the studio version in my opinion and therefore I chose that one.

3. Ever Dream - Album version - 3 pts

This song always has a special place in my heart. It is the first Nightwish song I ever heard and it's lyrics really speak to me on a deeper level even after all these years. I simply love it. There are many good live renditions of this song but I still prefer the original.

4. Sleeping Sun - 1999 version - 3 pts

This one is a real Nightwish classic. I'm from Finland and for some reason this song brings me a warm homelike feeling. It feels pure and honest. I love Tarja's vocals here and the whole vibe of this song. I also like the original music video even though it's a bit silly.

5. Dark Chest of Wonders - Album version - 2 pts

I have adored this song since the beginning and it always brings a smile to my face whenever I hear it. I love the orchestral bombast, guitars, choirs and Tarja's vocals. It's a perfect opener for an album or a concert. To me this is one of those signature Nightwish songs.

6. Last Ride of the Day - Imaginaerum movie premiere 2012 live - 2 pts

This is such an epic and uplifting song. It always makes me feel euphoric and happy. To me it represents a modern classic and I think they should include it in every single setlist they play until the end of their career. I think these good vibes are especially well presented on this live version.

7. Dead Boy's Poem - From Wishes to Eternity Live - 2 pts

One of the most beautiful songs ever. I don't know what else to say. They did it perfectly on From Wishes To Eternity.

8. Song of Myself - Album version - 1 pts

Imaginaerum is probably my favourite Nightwish album and I think this song just sums the whole album perfectly. I may be a minority here but I also happen to love the poem in the end. As with The Poet And The Pendulum there are great live renditions available like the one from Wacken 2013 but I just prefer the original here.

9. Devil And The Deep Dark Ocean - Live at Lahti 2018 - 1 pts

Devil And The Deep Dark Ocean was an awesome song to begin with but I think Floor's vocals made it even better. I still prefer Tapio's vocals to Marco's even though he got significantly better as the Decades tour went on. The song has aggression, mystique and darkness but also hopefulness in the end. I think the audio for this special video was recorded in Lahti last summer but visuals are gathered from various different concerts.

10. The Islander - Album version - 1 pts

The Islander is one of my favourite songs by Nightwish but it also has the best music video they have ever made and it will probably stay that way if what Tuomas said about them not making any more music videos in the future holds true. It is a nice acoustic piece with folk elements and I think both Marco and Anette truly shine here.

11. Beauty of the Beast - 1 pts

This is for me the first long epic I heard from Nightwish and even though I like Ghost Love Score and The Poet And The Pendulum more nowadays this one still has a place in my heart. To me it perfectly sums what the whole Century Child album is thematically and musically about. I tried to look for some nice live rendition for this one but actually couldn't find anything that would dethrone the album version. I wish they would play this again on one of their future tours.

Some honorable mentions that could have also been on my list:

• Higher Than Hope
  • The Greatest Show on Earth
  • Dead To The World
  • Alpenglow
  • Stargazers
  • Meadows of Heaven
  • Sacrament of Wilderness
  • Bless The Child
  • The Kinslayer

Some songs that probably could've never been on my list:

• White Night Fantasy
  • Live To Tell The Tale
  • Away
  • For The Heart I Once Had
  • Nymphomaniac Fantasia
  • Bye Bye Beautiful
  • Sagan
  • The Carpenter

@Vattep You got 10 more points to spend!

On 2/11/2019 at 10:14 PM, hunebedbouwer said:

A) Everybody gets 25 points to vote for songs.

B) You cannot vote for more than 15 songs! Which immediately means that some songs will get more than 1 point.

Example how it could be:

(total 25 points)

@NighttimeBird

Could you put the names of the venues behind the live song titles, please. I knew that TPATP version is Mexico City,  because I've watched it numerous times myself, but when counting the points in August, I need to know which version gets the points. Thanks.

Now, your counting is correct, but don't worry, THAT I WILL check!:music: 

I've bought many albums just for 1 song, even when the rest of the songs were crap. I just needed to have that song! Never regretted it, but it extended my music occupied room place a lot and inflated my wallet.

That teary thing, I do have got with live versions of TPATP, especially the end. I often play that part countless times in a row. 

My honourable songs are:

Slow love slow - Imaginaerum concert

Feel for you - thanks to Adrn_2810

Nemo - Wacken 2013 

Astral romance

Ghost river and She's my sin - both from Wacken 2013

@WhiteLagoon   :P

2 hours ago, NighttimeBird said:

@Vattep You got 10 more points to spend!

Oh perfect! For some reason I remembered it was 15 and didn't check. Now I can add more songs! :yahoo:

Dear @Vattep,

I know you're over the moon with those 10 extra points to spend, but remember (looking at your honourable list), that you will make @Encaitar VERY depressed if you should choose 'Bye bye beautiful':giggle: (see his first comment) for a place in your list!!!!!!

Just saying.............(DO IT!!!!!:D

2 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

Dear @Vattep,

I know you're over the moon with those 10 extra points to spend, but remember (looking at your honourable list), that you will make @Encaitar VERY depressed if you should choose 'Bye bye beautiful':giggle: (see his first comment) for a place in your list!!!!!!

*whisper* I do like Master Passion Greed and Bye Bye Beautiful, a lot. But after reading up on the context of the lyrics of those songs I decided to omit them from my list.

4 hours ago, hunebedbouwer said:

Dear @Vattep,

:o :o You are terrible!!!  ...stirring up trouble, I say...

2 hours ago, icebreaker said:

*whisper* I do like Master Passion Greed and Bye Bye Beautiful, a lot. But after reading up on the context of the lyrics of those songs I decided to omit them from my list.

...thank goodness.  (Even though - confession, I actually quite like Master Passion Greed, in a guilty pleasure kind of way.  I just pretend I don't know what the lyrics are talking about)  On one of my very first "best of Nightwish" mix CDs, I definitely put that one on there.

Now for BBB - that's never a song I've loved. Never never never.  Even watching the music video for it weirds me out :P  But we all have different tastes...I SUPPOSE...:P 

Also I'm now tempted to add Nymphomaniac Fantasia to my list...:D :D 

Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean - Live Lahti 2018

5 points

Slaying the Dreamer - 3 points

7 Days to the Wolves - 2 points

Song of Myself(Instrumental) - 2 points

Dark Chest of Wonders - 2 points

10th Man Down - 2 points

The Poet and the Pendulum - 2 points

The Kinslayer - 2 points

Dead Boy's Poem - 1 point

Gethsemane - 1 point

Yours is an Empty Hope - 1 point

Deep Silent Complete - 1 point

The Greatest Show on Earth - 1 point

I knew you'd give high points to Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean :)

15 minutes ago, KebabScout said:

Song of Myself(Instrumental) - 2 points

That's an interesting choice, why the instrumental?

Just now, NighttimeBird said:

I knew you'd give high points to Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean :)

That's an interesting choice, why the instrumental?

Idk, just never been a fan of the vocal work there and on most of Imaginaerum, tbh. Love the music though.

i'm going with the studio versions only here:

Stargazers - 5 points

Beauty of the Beast - 5 points

Sacrament of Wilderness - 2 points

Elvenpath - 2 points

The Pharaoh Sails to Orion - 2 points

Dead to the World - 2 points

Ghost Love Score - 2 points

Our Decades in the Sun - 1 point

Ever Dream - 1 point

Slaying the Dreamer - 1 point

Poet and the Pendulum - 1 point

Sleeping Sun - 1 point

I've made some changes to my list, added some reasoning and I think my choices are final.

* The studio version of Creek Mary's Blood has gone.

* Gave the End Of An Era edition 1 more point.

* Removed Floor's Tampere 2015 edition of Sleeping Sun.

* And gave that point to Wembley's TPATP, as that needs to be on the same appreciation level as Song Of Myself. These are the 2 songs, that  I watch and listen most to.

@NighttimeBird

Concerning Storytime.......for me it's one of the very few NW songs, that is not really suited to Floor's vocal abillities. It's sung alrightish, but nothing more.    

Here are my choices. Explanations will be added later. For now, all I'll say: more is more.

1. Ghost Love Score - Buenos Aires 2012 - 4 points

2. The Poet and the Pendulum - Mexico City (VoS) 2015 - 3 points

3. While Your Lips Are Still Red - Wembley 2015 (VoS) - 3 points

4. Pharaoh Sails to Orion - Tampere 2001 (FWTE) - 2 points

5. Bless the Child - Rauma(FIN) 2003 - 2 points

6. Song of Myself - Wacken 2013 (Showtime, Storytime) - 2 points

7. She Is My Sin - Wacken 2013 (Sh/St) - 2 points

8. The Greatest Show On Earth - Tampere 2015 (VoS) - 2 points

9. Slow Love Slow - Montreaux 2012 - 1 point

10. Romanticide - Wacken 2013 (Sh/St) - 1 point

11. Sahara - Tampa 2015 (VoS) - 1 point

12. Sleeping Sun - Tampere 2015 (VoS) - 1 point