hunebedbouwer

THE QUEST FOR THIS FORUM'S FAVOURITE NIGHTWISH SONGS (LIVE AND ALL)

67 posts in this topic

Added another one:

I re-discovered this one by accident.  Was trying to listen to a recent version that Floor sang and this came up in the results.  Listened and grinning the whole time.  Forgot how much I love the Summer Breeze performance of EoAH.  Afterwards, found the Bloodstock '18 performance by Floor and...er, it pales.  This one deserves a point, for sure.

On 2/12/2019 at 10:09 PM, The Name Of The Wind said:

Great idea!

Here's my list:

Live versions:

Ghost Love Score from Buenes Aires 2012: 5 points

To me, this is performance is the perfect version of Ghost Love Score. Floor really pours her soul into and transforms the song into her own. Tarja's version feels flat in comparison. Anette's version from Hartwall 2009 is pretty good, but this something else. 

The Siren live from Sankt Petersburg 2012: 2 points

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBnZyYtfOpc

My favourite version of The Siren. Anette deviates quite a lot from the original, but she really makes it her own. She has a creative to interpret the siren's call and I really like that.

Planet Hell live from Sir Studios 2012: 2 points

Great version of Planet Hell. Anette really makes song come alive. Tarja's version doesn't feel angry enough in comparison to this one (As you can tell, I'm not a great fan of Tarja's vocals on Once. In my opionion, the album was written with contemporary vocals in mind that Tarja couldn't deliver at that time.)

Walking in the Air Hartwall 2009: 1 point

An acoustic performance of Walking the air. I like how soft it sound and the flute sounds mesmerising. This one is a version that edited the best sound videos of the event together to a single performance. It's not perfect, but the best version I could find and the one I listen to.

The Phantom of the Opera (End of an Era performance): 1 point

The studio version is tame compared to the performance on End of an Era. I love Tarja's high notes at end and Marco's interpretation of the phantom is great. 

Studio:

Scaretale: 3 points

Anette's signature piece. No one can sing it like her. I love how she acts with her voice.

While Your Lips Are still Red: 2 points

I love Marco's soft voice and I wish he would use it more often. 

The Escapist: 2 points

One of the songs from the Dark Passion Play era and it's not even on the album.

Dead Boy's Poem: 2 points

Gethsemane: 2 points

The Heart Asks Pleasure First: 1 point

The Pharao Sails to Orion: 1 point

Sleeping Sun (original 1999 version): 1 point

Quoting my post because after thinking about my ranking I would like to erase Sleeping Sun and The Heart Asks Pleasure First from my list. Instead I want to give these points to the Hartwall performance of Ghost Love Score with Anette in 2009. I think it's a lovely performance  though obviously not as good as Floor's version from Buenos Aires. 

The quality of that video is pretty good too, considering it's fan filmed. 

On 2/12/2019 at 7:58 PM, icebreaker said:

Ok, judging by the songs I always come back to currently (which may be totally different in 6 months):

1. Romanticide - Wacken 2013 live - 4 points

It's the song that got me really into Nightwish after seeing it on Youtube ca. 2 years ago.

2. Slaying the dreamer - album version - 3 points

Love the angry lyrics. Took the album version because imo the live version from End of an Era is pretty bad, both from an editing and a vocal point.

3. The Islander - Tampere 2015 live - 3 points

My favourite NW ballad. Plus I love the whole visual aspect of Marco standing in a sea of people with the wind and the dramatic sky.

4. Weak Fantasy - Tampere 2015 live - 2 points

Fun performance and I really like the lyrics.

5. Dead to the World - album version - 2 points

6. Yours is an Empty Hope - album version - 2 points

Floor growling is awesome.

7. Song of Myself - Wacken 2013 live - 2 points

I don't like the poem at the end of the album version so this is perfect for me.

8. Greatest Show on Earth - Tampere 2015 live - 2 points

The synchronised fireworks still make me smile every time. And the toolmaker is just great for audience participation.

9. Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean - live at Bloodstock 2018 - 2 Points

10. Planet Hell - Official live - 2 Points

11. I wish I had an angel - album version - 1 point

Looking at the list, I guess I feel more drawn to the angry "heavy" than to the "symphonic" metal side of the Nightwish repertoire. 

Made some edits to my original posts to reflect my current likes. Took out Ghost River, Dead to the World and one more to make room for the Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean from Bloodstock 2018. Like the album version, but love the live one with Floor and Marco! The Decades DVD can't come soon enough.  

Also added that Planet Hell with Anette. Just love to see everyone joking around and be goofy. 

Hi,

Ok challenge accepted, new player online.

A lot of live versions in my choices because in my opinion you know when a band or a singer is good when live version seems for you better than studio version (for many reasons not always objective).

My choices are the following (difficult to do there are so many songs I like) :

Ever dream Showtime/Storytime Wacken 2013 4pts

I don't know exactly why but this song in this version is the one where the Floor's voice moved me the most. In the final her voice is a kind of mix between power and fragility.

Ghost love score Showtime/Storytime Buenos Aires 2012 3pts

I think the version of Wacken 2013 is better but I prefer this version for two things :

• Floor is on this tour only for two months

• The reaction of the public at the end is simply awesome ("Floor, Floor, Floor...!)

The poet and the Pendulum Vehicle of Spirit Wembley 2015 3pts

This song is my favorite from Dark passion play album and this live version is so emotionnal.

The greatest show on earth Vehicle of Spirit Tampere 2015 3pts

This song is the one that marks my return in Nightwish's world. At the end when Floor says the last « We were here » (with a broken voice) following by « Kiitos » (Thank you) I completely melt (from 17:15 to 17:20). Yes I'm a man, 47 years old, 6ft, 90kg and I melt in front of woman who expresses the emotionnal charge she feels at the end of a show. It's my big teddy bear side as we say in France :rolleyes:.

I want my tears back Hellfest 2018 in France 2pts

I like a lot this song because It's a festive song, in France we say a song for the feet that is to say a song when you begin to listen it you just want to dance. This version is not the best, the sound is not perfect (video made by a fan in the crowd) but I find that day Floor was totally unleashed (with a nice speech from Marco at the end). Only 3046 views since july 2018, I think that a lot of people here has never seen it :

Beauty and the beast Pakkahuone theatre Tampere 2000 (or 2001?) with Tony Kakko 1pts

Ah ! The Tarja's operatic voice..... :woot: and I like the « guest stars » in live It's always awesome

Sleeping sun Studio version 1pts

Amaranth Studio version 1pts

Thanks to this song I discovered Nightwish and for that, even if Anette is not my favorite singer, I will be eternally grateful to her :)

Last ride of the day Orlando 2012 with Tommy Karevik/Alissa Gluz/Elize Ryd 1pts

Just awesome, a lot of fun on stage, the evidence that Metal can be a great familly

Yours is an empty hope Live baltic princess cruise 2015 1pts

Why this version ? A show on a boat is not common. Why this song ? For my reaction as many people the first time : « Ok she growls too...:music:

Stargazers Studio version 1pts

Wishmaster Studio version 1pts

Even if I can't anymore listen this song without smiling because of the missheard version (Steven Seagull...:laugh:)

Dark chest of wonders Studio version 1pts

7 days to the wolves Vehicle of spirit Wembley 2015 1pts

She is my sin Showtime/Storytime Wacken 2013 1pts

This version for the speech from Marco to introduce Floor before the beginning of the song and the reaction of the public.

Let's discuss :cool:

@The Name Of The Wind

Dear Danish storm chaser.............:P

It´s fine when you want to change your choices and post those in a new post. But you need to CHANGE your ORIGINAL post to be counted!!! Don´t know if you have done that, but I will only count the ORIGINAL posts for the points............

@Mjöllnir

Thank you for your contribution!:good:

On 4/30/2019 at 11:20 AM, hunebedbouwer said:

We say farewell to April 2019 AD..............

I'm glad you chose that out of all NW songs, but, my dear friend, you forgot your points!

13 hours ago, Mjöllnir said:

At the end when Floor says the last « We were here » (with a broken voice) following by « Jesus » (from 17:15 to 17:20) I completely melt.

She says kiitos (thank you).

@whitenoise

Instead of taking the Mickey (as long as it´s not the mouse) out of me, you are allowed to post any NW song with April in it if you can find one................(I bet you are prepared for this already)

Even better, post your own damn best NW songs!!!:dwarf::sunny::dwarf::sunny::dwarf:

1 hour ago, whitenoise said:

She says kiitos (thank you).

Oups ! Another misheard lyrics :pardon:Kiitos for your help Whitenoise  (I know my first word in Finnish, it's a good beginning :lol:)

I corrected my initial post

1 hour ago, hunebedbouwer said:

Even better, post your own damn best NW songs!!!:dwarf::sunny::dwarf::sunny::dwarf:

Seems that I'm obliged to do so. How much time do you give me?

1 hour ago, Mjöllnir said:

(I know my first word in Finnish, it's a good beginning :lol:)

I guess, Floor would say that that's where your hell begins with the language :D

@whitenoise

Well, if you can manage and are bothered to read my first post, you wouldn´t be asking such a stupid/unnecessary question! Or did you think YOU had preferential privileges with your blank noisy attitude? ....................No, didn´t think that either! :P 

I bet you wanted to give ´Moi moi Mooi´ a good old 25 points too...................NO says Tuomas. 

6 hours ago, Mjöllnir said:

Oups ! Another misheard lyrics :pardon:Kiitos for your help Whitenoise  (I know my first word in Finnish, it's a good beginning :lol:)

I corrected my initial post

If she'd said, "Jesus", even at a South American show, it could have been a nasty logic bomb. I'd rather not have to readjust my view of reality (again!) so soon. Give me at least half a year of feigned understanding?! Please?

Kiitos works much better. Floor thanking everyone for enjoying a great show. These little details are another thing I love about her. Stepping to the side to let someone else have the spotlight, thanking a guest musician on stage etc. Surprising how often these little things are overlooked - even if you are an easily replaceable musical cog it's so nice to be thanked for the contribution!

On 5/2/2019 at 10:13 PM, hunebedbouwer said:

I bet you wanted to give ´Moi moi Mooi´ a good old 25 points too...................NO says Tuomas. 

Absolutely! Moi Moi Mooi is Floor's arrival song, isn't it? Tuomas won't be asked.

@whitenoise

I´m wondering, how many Simon & Garfunkel songs covers by NW you´re going to put in your list?

Now, stop faffing around and publish your favourites!

That´s an order!

Quietly we say goodbye to May 2019..............only June and July to post your favourites!

Bye, bye May............:giggle:

GettyImages-1145813512-1160x773.jpg

Only joking, ocourse. Here´s a better farewell:

AC/DC - 'Stormy May day'

Question...is it allowed if it's an "edit" - i.e., audio from one concert & video from another?  My favourite version of DBP is this way haha.  Video is simply magnificent (displaying Tarja fully into the song and oh so emotional), but audio is from FWtE...I love it so, but understand if it's not allowed...