Sign in to follow this  
Ann_argr

Eurovision SC 2019

28 posts in this topic

I got to be the one who'll start this year's ESC topic, wuhu!! Sorry @hunebedbouwer, I read in the previous topic that you're not a fan, but, with pleasure I present you the songs of the ESC 2019!

So, what's your favorite song this year? Mine is Slovenia, it might be my fav ESC song ever:

And I also like our song this year (the video is f awesome):

I will stick my neck out a very long way and timidly suggest that UK will not be winning this year:wizard:

And let's face it, it would have the potential to be such a shambles anyway....

:jester:

@Ann_argr

I know you like  (melo)DRAMA (I mean.........come on, you're from Greece :P), so it's alright when you want to revel in it!:D

4188219710_95405a92c4_b.jpg

And I'm glad you enjoyed some of my inflamatory posts on the ESC-2016 thread. But like I said then, I will never participate in any ESC garbage again until it reforms to my proposals and I do stick with that.:dwarf:

*Only bizar detail this year is......will the UK be allowed to participate by the European Council? Brexit=Brexit after all.  Will they send Hermann Johnson, Adolf Cheese-Mug,  Joseph Raab or even Heinrich Davies? Because Theresa Maydaymayday is certainly not up for it!   

That's all.

Well, Australia takes part now so I doubt the UK won't be allowed to :P

I' ve only listened to very few songs, but I quite like the Greek entry, sth which hasn't happened in years :P

Here is the Spanish one!

What do you think?

On April 5, 2019 at 10:42 AM, Serena said:

Here is the Spanish one!

What do you think?

This was a lot of fun! The syncopation is hard to resist. I even like the "backing" teen (?) "musicians" - although I really doubt they were actually playing, or were even mic'd. I've never heard of this competition (because I live under the rock that is North America). Sounds interesting. Are there specific criteria for entrance? (I mean, what are they?) Does each country have their own adjudication process to pick their entry? Just thinking out loud - I could look it up...

Some of the others I gave a quick listen to have that very pop vocoder vocal thing that I still blame Cher for - she didn't invent it but made it "popular" (made it pop, or way too often made pop it). It turns me off when an effect overpowers the musical content. I've had the same criticism of some After Forever songs where incessant growling covers much more interesting musical happenings (or covers anything Floor was doing - 20 lashes and straight to bed without supper!)

Here we go again. Once more I have to say that I don't like our entry at all and I'm quite sure that it won't receive a lot of points on Saturday. Today is the first semi final and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Poland and Czech Republic. My favourite song of this year is going to appear in the second semi final on Thursday however. It's Norway. I think their song is quite catchy and it gives me a Eurovision mood although it is very far from my usual personal music taste.

8 hours ago, dragonprincess said:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Poland and Czech Republic.

Poland didn't make it!

My favourite song from the first semifinal was the Greek entry. And that's a first :P Our songs usually either suck or are boring!

@Imagineer Mine too! I was actually shocked at how good our entry is this year. Great voice and visually stunning as well. Go Greece! I haven't felt this strongly about a Greek entry since 2005. :P

I only got home in time for Georgia/entry 12, so mostly the recap had to do for me. But I've checked out all the entries earlier. Seems like a somewhat weak year to me. Yesterday I liked Australia, Greece, and Iceland.

Have to say Sweden is one of my favorites, not only because it's my country but also because it is one of the best songs. I still think The Netherlands has the best chance to win, but it comes down to whether or not they do a solid performance on Thursday. I know Sweden will. :P

I'm rather disappointed that they left most of the weird behind :( too bad people isn't into weird folk and prefers to vote for generic pop or raggaeton. I was all for Poland, Portugal and Georgia. I still hope Italy does good, we've got a nice song even if, unfortunately, it's no Eurovision weird. I want weird.
I also liked Australia, but I still think it would be super weird if AU won the Eurovision "This year the Eurovision Song Contest will take place in Sydney"... yeah, uhm...

San Marino's entry is the quintessence of that kind of italian music that is targeted to 50yo who like to do group dance at festivals, but with an italo-disco vibe. 
So far I root for Iceland <3  the weird will survive!

36 minutes ago, Calinn said:

ISan Marino's entry is the quintessence of that kind of italian music that is targeted to 50yo who like to do group dance at festivals, but with an italo-disco vibe. 

Yes, the vibe from it was that, you put it in words, i was trying to find the term and expression to it.

I still dont know was it really really bad or just meh...  

Also i am sure i know someone who looks like the lady from cyprus.

Oh and i still dont know what to think of about the portugal's entry. It made me scratch my head.

@Calinn I’m pretty sure that I’ve read that if Australia won, next years contest would take place in one of the Big 5 countries and it would be co-organized by Australia and that country. 

23 minutes ago, Imagineer said:

@Calinn I’m pretty sure that I’ve read that if Australia won, next years contest would take place in one of the Big 5 countries and it would be co-organized by Australia and that country. 

Does our little UK still count as one of the big 5?  Now seems wrong on so many levels.....

5 hours ago, ruosteinen_kuu said:

Yes, the vibe from it was that, you put it in words, i was trying to find the term and expression to it.

I still dont know was it really really bad or just meh...  

Yes this stuff here :rolleyes: they 100% belong to the Canale Italia repertoire.

6 hours ago, Essexboyinwales said:

Does our little UK still count as one of the big 5? 

Yes, it does! ;)

Tonight I really wanted Albania to qualify, so I voted for her <3 I'm quite disappointed by the insane amount of sober emo ballads with boring lyrics about love, before Albania and Norway it was a huge snoozefest. 

This semi-final was definitely stronger. I guessed 8 out of 10 finalists correctly!

There were a lot of great singers, which isn't always a given in this contest...

Norway's "hook" is similar to Finland's from last year.

Proud of our John Lundvik, but the camera work disappointed. The effect of The Mamas appearing out of nowhere was a powerful image back in Stockholm, but tonight the angle was all wrong.

I agree that the second semi final was way stronger than the first one. The only "going to the final" surprises for me were Albania (interesting song but I didn't expect at all that she would go through) and North Macedonia (good message but such a boring ballad). Still a bit annoyed about the first semi finale because Poland didn't make through. My five favourites for tomorrow are Norway (way too catchy), Czech Republic (also catchy), Australia (it started to grow on me, would be cool if she won instead of these overrated songs from the Netherlands, Switzerland or Sweden), Iceland (very cool performance, they would deserve to win) and Slovenia (a very lovely song without any drama performance).

I haven't watched anything yet and I'm still on the fence about whether I'm going to watch the final. There were years that I quite enjoyed it, and there were years (including last year) that I mostly didn't.

5 hours ago, dragonprincess said:

would be cool if she won instead of these overrated songs from the Netherlands, Switzerland or Sweden

Agree. I'm always ready to root for Switzerland as I almost consider it as my second country, but this song is just terrible and terribly overrated

So the first time in over a decade that I don't watch Eurovision is also the first time during my life that my country wins. Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Eh, I wasn't a huge fan of the winner. It's a nice ballad, but nothing special for me. Out of the top 5 countries, I think I only really liked Italy.

Also, that was Greece's worst position (in the finals at least) in years, and that was probably the best song we've send in years...

WHY EUROPE, WHY? WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO DESERVE THIS?

(mind you, I still haven't got a clue how the song sounds.............:giggle:)

DUNCAN, DUNCAN, DUNCAN......................Now we will get this festival of human degeneration over here! Thanks!

@NighttimeBird

So, you weren't around when 'DING-A-DONG' was a big thing. O, how you missed real class!:P

P.S. Did they get any votes from Down Under?