Marius

Decades World Tour 2018

2,437 posts in this topic

Btw why haven't they advertised the finnish shows on social media and such? They always do it for new dates but these just appeared on the website. And these are special dates (Hartwall, last show etc). Any chance they maybe waiting for something more special about these dates to be announced?

I'm kind of annoyed the band haven't been doing interviews for this tour.  Especially not in America.  I really wanted to see Floor, Marco or Emppu on Little Punk People dammit!

15 hours ago, Imagineer said:

Btw why haven't they advertised the finnish shows on social media and such? They always do it for new dates but these just appeared on the website. And these are special dates (Hartwall, last show etc). Any chance they maybe waiting for something more special about these dates to be announced?

I think the reason is the July show in Lahti. Maximizing tickets sales for that before starting to promote the final concerts more?

I've been curious about what the Festival setlists will look like. I imagine a bit shorter, and I wonder if they will cut songs like "The Carpenter" which don't seem to be real festival friendly. Although Slaying the Dreamer, and Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean will likely be a hit.

I will bet for string quartet on Finland shows / Hartwall arena. Any candidates for betting?

On 20/5/2018 at 3:11 AM, Peteo said:

Gotta say about the background screens that I usually hate the screens because they are a distraction don't add any value to the show IMO, but  this time the screens were awesomely done. Looked really great.

Contrary to what you think, I think Nightwish should step up their visual game because their latest videoclips and live DVD suck, and these screen look so 80s and also so unprofessional. I'ts okay if you're going for a retro aesthetic but this is clearly the band working with amateur people.

Actually is someone deciding they should spend less money on decent art direction for their shows + albums + promo material? Dark Passion Play was the last album + promotion videos + promotion tour that was somewhat decent visually. After The Islander's amazing video, there were no more decent audiovisual pieces. Just a really sloppy feature film with a terribly cheap looking videoclip for Storytime for the Imaginaerum campaign, and then possibly the worst video the band has ever produced, for Endless Forms Most Beautiful. Élan is terrible too.

I used to be really into the whole Nightwish aesthetic, but they are really asleep. Hoping for a improvement on the next album since this tour has clearly not improved in that way and the low budget completely cliché and corny visuals on the screens speak tons about that.

4 hours ago, planet_terror said:

Contrary to what you think, I think Nightwish should step up their visual game because their latest videoclips and live DVD suck, and these screen look so 80s and also so unprofessional. I'ts okay if you're going for a retro aesthetic but this is clearly the band working with amateur people.

Actually, 1980's blinking incandescent light bulbs in the background would be very professional.

@planet_terror Can you name a band with visuals up to your standard please?

Myself i i think the visuals are mostly decent and fitting.

3 minutes ago, SamB12 said:

Myself i i think the visuals are mostly decent and fitting.

You did not ask me, but since I agree with planet_terror, I would suggest NW takes a look at Schiller light shows. They could learn a lot from them/him. 

Isn't it weird how tuomas is so far in the back? Like, I thought that setup was an NA thing because of the size of the theaters, but now it seems like this is the layout for the rest of the tour, and it's just...awkward to me.

I think it has to be with the idea of creating a more dynamic stage. There are two layers: The three static members at the back, watching the whole thing with their demiurgic eyes, and the three lively frisky playful members at the front, moving around freely. It's a good idea.

9 hours ago, SamB12 said:

I don't think the visuals are necessarily bad(actually they're quite good imo), but when you look at what bands like Muse can do with simple lighting and few screens, improvement isn't impossible, although it also isn't necessary.

I actually enjoyed the screen and had no issue with the lighting. Maybe it's because we don't get those screens for NW normally here, usually NW shows in the US are pretty bare bones (which I also love). So, it was a nice one-off experience (assuming the next tour doesn't feature screens too).

I think it can go either way. For this tour, I feel NW has beautiful videos with their performances, so, it makes it very visually appealing. The screen works itself into the performance, not against it. But, that's just my opinion.

I suppose if I were to think of a band with the best visuals (no screen) that I've seen lately, I would say Halestorm or Epica. Both bands did not use screens at the shows I've seen. Decorative and yet minimal backdrop, and nice lights to set the mood. NW could definitely do that too if they wished.

17 hours ago, KebabScout said:

I don't think the visuals are necessarily bad(actually they're quite good imo), but when you look at what bands like Muse can do with simple lighting and few screens, improvement isn't impossible, although it also isn't necessary.

Maybe but then again muse suck badly hehehe.

IDK if it's a front row thing, but I couldn't keep my eyes off the band. Of course I noticed the visuals and thought they gave a cool atmosphere, but It never got to the point where my eyes were going somewhere else?

4 hours ago, SamB12 said:

Maybe but then again muse suck badly hehehe.

Yeah, haha, super funny. You want me to make fun of your favorite bands too?

7 hours ago, Babrablack said:

IDK if it's a front row thing, but I couldn't keep my eyes off the band. Of course I noticed the visuals and thought they gave a cool atmosphere, but It never got to the point where my eyes were going somewhere else?

Definitely a front row thing too. I saw them from a distance in Baltimore and it was a very different experience from when I saw them front row in Philadelphia. And in Philadelphia I definitely had my eyes on the band the entire time, as I barely saw the screen. In Baltimore I was watching the video with them, as I had to at that angle. But, as I've said, I actually enjoyed it.

Btw, kinda just thinking about following tours... they gotta take a few of the oldies on this special tour back to regular rotation, right? Right? Stuff like Kinslayer, Elvenpath, maybe Gethsemane even?

Also... gonna edit in bit of a rambling:

I'm going to see them 2 or 3 times this year, first is gonna be in Lahti. That gig is going to be such an amazing moment for me personally, because it sort of closes a circle. The first time I saw them live, was the End of an Era-gig. Bunch of those songs are played on this tour and, even though I was 9 years old in 2005, I can remember many songs very clearly. I can also remember how, being a kid, after hearing Tarja got kicked out of the band after that, I lost any interest to them for years and how it was Floor who made me a fanboy again. And now they're doing this. All of the dots are just coming together and connecting to that gig. If they also pull... well, you know, the thing(please don't tell me I have to explain what I mean), in any of those gigs, it's just gonna be even sweeter.

God I can't wait.

Are the festival shows going to be totally different from tthe Decades shows or will it just be a few changes for example "The Carpenter" dropped for last ride of the day or something similar.

Propably just shortened ones to accomodate the lenght of the slots they happen to be given. I'd guess they want to emphasise the live hits and fan favourites. On previous tours they've dropped the ballads from festival sets.

^ Yeah, I'd guess we'll probably see some of the more obscure/ softer songs (such as The Carpenter) removed from the set to accommodate the shorter play time, but I'd be quite surprised if we got any new songs in the festival shows. I'm definitely not expecting them to drop Nemo, WIHAA, Amaranth, Elan etc. from the setlist, and GLS is probably going to stay put too, given that it's their current finale. TGSOE might go, simply because of the length - it's a big chunk out of a festival setlist, even for a headline slot.

7 hours ago, KebabScout said:

Btw, kinda just thinking about following tours... they gotta take a few of the oldies on this special tour back to regular rotation, right? Right? Stuff like Kinslayer, Elvenpath, maybe Gethsemane even?

Elvenpath, Devil & the Deep Dark Ocean and Deep Silent Complete NEED to stay!! ;)

For some reason, I think we'll see a few new songs. Even if it's something like Ever Dream. But I also have the feeling we'll get a few other surprises. IDK why.

11 hours ago, KebabScout said:

The only song from this set that should leave forever is Elan.