Marius

Decades World Tour 2018

2,465 posts in this topic

Floor sounds amazing in DSC. The "the age will say" part is almost ethereal.

I'm not a huge fan of Marco doing backing vocals in it though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes! Happy to see Wishmaster back in the setlist. I know they've performed it a lot as a band, but certainly not as much with Floor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Words cannot describe how much I adore the new rendition of Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean.

It was already amazing without the new elements and it honestly never occurred to me how much better it sounds without an operatic voice. The studio version is so haunting, yet Floor managed to elevate it to a completely different level. I truly am astonished.

I'm also overjoyed that Wishmaster seems to have made it back into the setlist. I do hope it remains there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely prefer Wishmaster rather than Amaranth, so that was a good choice. And the girl playing the accordion added a nice element to the song. But as many have said, Floor's operatic vocals sounds really great and clear right now. Don't know if that has something to do with the body changes involving her motherhood or the natural aging, very likely yes.

Can't wait to see them in September, it's only two months far away. It will be the first concert of the Latin American tour, so hopefully a few surprises on the set. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news and terrible news here. Tuomas recently had a Q & A session reported on by Metal Hammer where he said that the next album was almost finished; 10-11 songs long, and looking at a Spring 2020 release. That's neither the good nor bad news, just an update on EFMB 2. 

The good news? "I think we’re going to record one of the shows and maybe do a live DVD," he stated. Perfect, right? The news everybody has been waiting for; it looks like we're definitely getting a live show for Decades (you would have to think Hartwall Arena; the last show of the tour). 

The terrible news? The second part of his sentence. "...because these songs that we’re doing on this tour are never going to be played again, so it’s a good idea to immortalise them.”

Never going to be played again. The songs that have been performed on this tour; arguably the best songs in their entire catalogue. Gone the way of Bye Bye Beautiful and Over the Hills and Far Away.

If this is genuine, I'm all the more devastated and disappointed that they were only willing to do a 9 month tour. Considering this was the only chance to hear the highlights of their older material, it's astounding they didn't make this a full world tour and either shortened the EFMB tour or postponed the next album by a few months (or axed AURI, but I'm not opening that can of worms again). 

It's genuinely demoralizing, and I understand I might be being overly dramatic, or making a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be, but the songs that are being played at the moment are some of my favourite songs of all time; by far and away, and they have helped me get through so much. Deep Silent Complete and Sacrament of Wilderness in particular, and it's a massive kick to the guts to realise that I will never get the chance to hear them live, purely because Australia wasn't seen as profitable enough to make a trip over here worth the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, sorry but none of these is exactly news :P

I don’t think that they won’t play any of these. I can taotally see them continue playing Devil, Slaying, DSC and a few others. Either in the next tour or others in the future. But I think it was obvious from the start that they were not gonna play The Carpenter or Elvenpath or Gethsemane and a few other songs in subsequent tours. They would never bring back The Carpenter if it it wasn’t an anniversary tour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, The_Black_Rose said:

The terrible news? The second part of his sentence. "...because these songs that we’re doing on this tour are never going to be played again, so it’s a good idea to immortalise them.”

Never going to be played again. The songs that have been performed on this tour; arguably the best songs in their entire catalogue. Gone the way of Bye Bye Beautiful and Over the Hills and Far Away.

Wait, wait, WHAT?

If this is true, that would be the dumbest decision in the whole metal scene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Imagineer said:

Well, sorry but none of these is exactly news :P

I don’t think that they won’t play any of these. I can taotally see them continue playing Devil, Slaying, DSC and a few others. Either in the next tour or others in the future. But I think it was obvious from the start that they were not gonna play The Carpenter or Elvenpath or Gethsemane and a few other songs in subsequent tours. They would never bring back The Carpenter if it it wasn’t an anniversary tour.

I would argue that both Elvenpath and Gethsemane are better songs that a lot of the usual tour catalogue but that's obviously subjective.

The Carpenter is an outlier, yes, but still a good song for Troy to have a bit of time in the spotlight. That said, bringing back The Carpenter for anniversary's sake was a bit misguided, IMHO. Technically the first track on AFF when it was originally released was Astral Romance; and that would be a perfect replacement for The Carpenter as the big nostalgic wonder. Would anybody disagree that Astral Romance is better than The Carpenter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The_Black_Rose said:

I would argue that both Elvenpath and Gethsemane are better songs that a lot of the usual tour catalogue but that's obviously subjective.

The Carpenter is an outlier, yes, but still a good song for Troy to have a bit of time in the spotlight. That said, bringing back The Carpenter for anniversary's sake was a bit misguided, IMHO. Technically the first track on AFF when it was originally released was Astral Romance; and that would be a perfect replacement for The Carpenter as the big nostalgic wonder. Would anybody disagree that Astral Romance is better than The Carpenter?

I don’t disagree nor am I saying that it’s a good idea to not play these songs. But they are going to release their 9th album so obviously they are not gonna play that many older songs, especially like The Carpenter which is very different from their music today. And also they didn’t say that they are not gonna play any pre-Once song or something. I don’t think anyone here would expect Carpenter to become a permanent song after this tour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There may have been a critical "some of" there before "these songs" in that statement that was lost in translation or something. I mean, I don't doubt for a second that they are planning to shelf Carpenter and such for good after this but I have a strong feeling that Élan and friends aren't going anywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Myrow said:

There may have been a critical "some of" there before "these songs" in that statement that was lost in translation or something. I mean, I don't doubt for a second that they are planning to shelf Carpenter and such for good after this but I have a strong feeling that Élan and friends aren't going anywhere.

I agree on the first part but I do think that they are going to shelf Carpenter for good, especially after playing it in almost all shows of this tour.

I expect the setlist for the new album to be sth like 7-8 new songs and at least 3 EFMB songs and that leaves around 7-8 songs probably. If 3 of them are the obligatory singles and they also bring back one older song (like with Stargazers in the EFMB tour) I doubt Carpenter will be one of the other songs. And the same goes for the next tour in 2025 or whenever anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Real talk question but why do they always make sure weird decisions. Not that the new material is bad but they act like the old material is taboo. 

A decades tour shouldn't even be happening. All these songs shouldn't have disappeared for twenty years to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, River Wild said:

Real talk question but why do they always make sure weird decisions. Not that the new material is bad but they act like the old material is taboo. 

A decades tour shouldn't even be happening. All these songs shouldn't have disappeared for twenty years to begin with.

I meaaaan how would that work? They have to play a lot of the new songs and some fan favourites so they wouldn’t be able to play the whole of their discography. Plus Tuomas and the rest obviously don’t like their older stuff as much as the newer stuff. And they openly say so in interviews. I don’t find it strange or out of the ordinary for bands with so many albums (although a lot of these songs would be set list regulars if I had a say 😛). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been away and came back to find some amazing videos. Wow! I love Tapio on Devil & the Deep Dark Ocean. I really hope the show they do record features him.

Also, I do think Tuomas was over-dramatizing. To say never playing those songs again live sounds exaggerated. I would imagine he was referring to songs like Elvenpath, the Carpenter, and such. I don't see how they could have a nice, well-rounded setlist and never play the Kinslayer, or Slaying the Dreamer (some crowd favorites) again. And of course songs like GLS, Nemo, and TGSOE will probably be back. And should they make it 30 years, maybe there will be a huge show (or tour) where they once again revisit the oldies. But, I am pleased to learn we are actually getting a DVD. I imagine they will record Hartwall and/or Wembley and release that in 2019 during their recording year (and it's a fantastic way to build-up momentum for the next album and reign in new fans again).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Imagineer said:

I meaaaan how would that work? They have to play a lot of the new songs and some fan favourites so they wouldn’t be able to play the whole of their discography. Plus Tuomas and the rest obviously don’t like their older stuff as much as the newer stuff. And they openly say so in interviews. I don’t find it strange or out of the ordinary for bands with so many albums (although a lot of these songs would be set list regulars if I had a say 😛). 

They played Nemo 534 times, Amaranth 343 times, and Wish I had an Angel 468 times. You are telling me they couldn't have dropped a Gethsemane at least once since 2003? I get that they are bound by the lighting and stage effects but cmon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, River Wild said:

Real talk question but why do they always make sure weird decisions. Not that the new material is bad but they act like the old material is taboo. 

A decades tour shouldn't even be happening. All these songs shouldn't have disappeared for twenty years to begin with.

Nightwish is the weirdest band I swear. Their decisions are literally baffling sometimes.

Like, they sure know how to make things complicated and cause a storm in a glass of water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, River Wild said:

Real talk question but why do they always make sure weird decisions. Not that the new material is bad but they act like the old material is taboo. 

A decades tour shouldn't even be happening. All these songs shouldn't have disappeared for twenty years to begin with.

And you act as if NW played 3 hours long setlists. They've never been one of those bands. And the more their catalogue grows, the more they need to shelf old songs. And I understand them. As much as YOU would prefer Gethsemane over Nemo or Amaranth, those are their most commercial songs, the songs that everbody sings when they play them. Their "crowd pleasers", if you will. Taking into account that the NW cataogue is more than 100 songs nowadays and still growing, how would you define which songs to play? Taking into account they can only play 15-16 songs per night and with a variation of 3-4 songs per tour. You can't please anyone, but taking into account that their older material is not only lesser known, but also less representative of who they are as a band nowadays. I'm sorry, but  of course the older songs are gonna get shelved. They cannot rehearse their full catalogue, and if they are gonna play songs, then those songs are the ones from their newest album + some crowd pleasers and perhaps an old song here and there. You  act qwuite the oppsite, you act as if they should only play old songs. Sorry, but no, it doesn't work like that. Besides, NW aren't the only band that's done something similar. Even Therion or Iron Maiden have toured playing "old songs and nothing more". Because of exactly the reasons I told you above.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Symphoniker said:

 but taking into account that their older material is not only lesser known, but also less representative of who they are as a band nowadays.

 

I actually agree with a lot of what you say, but this is dead wrong. Re-recorded and played with real strings, a lot of their old songs could easily be mistaken for modern NW by a casual listener. A few tracks immideately come to mind, like Deep Silent Complete, She is My Sin, The Riddler, Passion and the Opera, Gethsemane, etc etc.

Their sound has changed so much that you can't even compare the albums anymore. You have to look at the composition. Of course something like Crownless or Wanderlust isn't exactly modern NW, but saying their old songs don't fit their current style is also wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone, greetings from Bulgaria! Glad to join your community shortly before the band comes to my country for a festival show by the sea. As it seems, the tour's been great so far and I hope it'll continue in the same vein. However, there's something that boggles my mind and I can't seem to come to terms with it. With the onset of the European summer festivals, the band appears to be playing shorter sets compared to their standalone shows EVEN if they are headlining. I can see 14 songs played at the Czech Metal Fest, the Ned's FortaRock, Norway Rock, and Nightwish headlined all those festivals. At the same time, I see a 20-song setlist in Talinn and Lahti. Do any of you have an idea why a festival set is shorter even if the band headlined the event(s)? Do I need to worry that I'll get a shorter festival set in my country, too? I just find it really hard to reconcile myself to that notion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mioist said:

Hello everyone, greetings from Bulgaria! Glad to join your community shortly before the band comes to my country for a festival show by the sea. As it seems, the tour's been great so far and I hope it'll continue in the same vein. However, there's something that boggles my mind and I can't seem to come to terms with it. With the onset of the European summer festivals, the band appears to be playing shorter sets compared to their standalone shows EVEN if they are headlining. I can see 14 songs played at the Czech Metal Fest, the Ned's FortaRock, Norway Rock, and Nightwish headlined all those festivals. At the same time, I see a 20-song setlist in Talinn and Lahti. Do any of you have an idea why a festival set is shorter even if the band headlined the event(s)? Do I need to worry that I'll get a shorter festival set in my country, too? I just find it really hard to reconcile myself to that notion. 

The Lahti and Tallinn shows were longer because those were their separate gigs, not festivals. You're probably going to get 14-16 songs. Even the headliners on festivals don't usually get very long slots, except in some special cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KebabScout said:

 

I actually agree with a lot of what you say, but this is dead wrong. Re-recorded and played with real strings, a lot of their old songs could easily be mistaken for modern NW by a casual listener. A few tracks immideately come to mind, like Deep Silent Complete, She is My Sin, The Riddler, Passion and the Opera, Gethsemane, etc etc.

Their sound has changed so much that you can't even compare the albums anymore. You have to look at the composition. Of course something like Crownless or Wanderlust isn't exactly modern NW, but saying their old songs don't fit their current style is also wrong.

While the arrangements used for the old songs on this tour prove your point (and I do agree with that to a certain extent), I'm not only speaking about music. Tuomas himself said so "Looking at the old songs, I'm amazed, I couldn't compose anything like that anymore". I also think it also has to be in a more personal way. He doesn't feel as connected with the older songs, and I do think the band does too. 

and @mioist: Yeah, if it's a festival, even the headlining band must adhere to a schedule, so usually it's fewer songs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Symphoniker said:

While the arrangements used for the old songs on this tour prove your point (and I do agree with that to a certain extent), I'm not only speaking about music. Tuomas himself said so "Looking at the old songs, I'm amazed, I couldn't compose anything like that anymore". I also think it also has to be in a more personal way. He doesn't feel as connected with the older songs, and I do think the band does too. 

and @mioist: Yeah, if it's a festival, even the headlining band must adhere to a schedule, so usually it's fewer songs. 

I understand that .... and, at the same time, I don't. My hometown of Plovdiv just hosted a 3-day festival last weekend headlined by Sabaton, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, respectively. Each band played their entire set without cutting a single song in comparison with their own shows, so it can't be just a schedule thing ..... So far Nightwish is the only band I've come across that cuts their festival sets short. Maybe there are other bands who do that, I don't know. I'll enjoy the show regardless of its duration but I still hope for a full set as the curfew regulations are a bit loose in my country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Festivals buy shows from bands and therefore organizers determine the slot the band gets and the band has little say on that. If they get a slot of 70-90 minutes, they can't really play 20 songs in that time. On own concerts on the other hand they play for as long as they please, be it one hour or three, and are responsible to no one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Tuomas meant to say that most of these songs will not be performed again, at least not on a regular basis. They will obviously play Élan again, and there are definitely quite a few old songs that we're likely to see return again in the future (just maybe not on the next tour).  I do believe they'll never perform some of these songs ever again though, like The Carpenter and 10th Man Down. Those are just too obscure.

This tour is special in the sense that it's not promoting new music, which is the only reason they're able to perform this many old songs. Obviously, when they're promoting a new album you should expect at least half of the songs in the setlist to be brand new, and a large chunk of the other half is inevitably going to be made up of popular songs (ie the singles) from previous albums, like Nemo, Storytime and Élan. That leaves only a handful of tracks that cater to the hardcore fans, lesser known tunes like Stargazers and Romanticide. So it's only natural we won't see the majority of the songs performed on this tour on the next couple of tours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.