Marius

Decades World Tour 2018

2,465 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Magnus said:

I think Tuomas meant to say that most of these songs will not be performed again, at least not on a regular basis. They will obviously play Élan again, and there are definitely quite a few old songs that we're likely to see return again in the future (just maybe not on the next tour).  I do believe they'll never perform some of these songs ever again though, like The Carpenter and 10th Man Down. Those are just too obscure.

This tour is special in the sense that it's not promoting new music, which is the only reason they're able to perform this many old songs. Obviously, when they're promoting a new album you should expect at least half of the songs in the setlist to be brand new, and a large chunk of the other half is inevitably going to be made up of popular songs (ie the singles) from previous albums, like Nemo, Storytime and Élan. That leaves only a handful of tracks that cater to the hardcore fans, lesser known tunes like Stargazers and Romanticide. So it's only natural we won't see the majority of the songs performed on this tour on the next couple of tours.

Yes, that is what I figured as well. I'm sure if we ever hear "The Carpenter" again, it would be at another unique anniversary show. But, I am sure we will hear the usual songs like Nemo or Wish I Had an Angel again from this tour on future tours. I think our only hope is a few of the oldies make it on the next tour, now that they're practiced in them. Maybe Slaying the Dreamer, the Kinslayer, or Sacrament of Wilderness again when they really want to switch-up the set. Either way, I am anxious about what the next tour could bring. For now of course, I anxiously await the DVD from this fantastic tour, to relive it over and over again.

I can't understand how they don't get tired of playing the same songs again and again. I was in a band and we changed the setlist almost every show.

What band doesnt play their biggest hits in almost all shows? Thinking of similar bands (in popularity at least) like Within Temptation, Epica, Evanescence, Kamelot, Arch Enemy, Blind Guardian or even bigger ones like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest etc I literally know no band that doesn’t keep playing their “Nemos” and Wish I Had An Angels” in almost all shows even after years. I don’t even know what we are discussing here :P

On 7/22/2018 at 3:33 AM, Marius said:

Great videos of Wishmaster and Devil from last night :)

Replacing the guitar with an accordion?  That's what it will take to bring one of the most iconic yet ignored Nightwish songs back into the setlist?  It's like MTV will only play music when someone dies.  What an atrocity.  Not to mention the accordion is twice as loud in the mix.  I'm genuinely wondering if Emppu is just too lazy

On 7/23/2018 at 12:41 PM, Nienor said:

Wait, wait, WHAT?

If this is true, that would be the dumbest decision in the whole metal scene.

They've been making dumb decisions since 2002.  Maybe Tuomas is the one that should have been fired for another guitar player.  

On 7/23/2018 at 2:51 PM, River Wild said:

All these songs shouldn't have disappeared for twenty years to begin with.

Especially not The Kinslayer.  That should have been the consistent opener to kick things up a notch.  If Anette didn't sound right singing it she shouldn't have been in the band.

1 minute ago, JRA said:

Replacing the guitar with an accordion?  That's what it will take to bring one of the most iconic yet ignored Nightwish songs back into the setlist?  It's like MTV will only play music when someone dies.  What an atrocity.  Not to mention the accordion is twice as loud in the mix.  I'm genuinely wondering if Emppu is just too lazy.

I agree I don’t like this version!

Buuut ignored song? :P I think they played it in all shows from the Wishmaster to the Once era and definitely a lot of shows in the DPP tour. They also played it a few times in the Irum and EFMB eras. And once (for now) in the Decades tour. According to set list.fm it’s been played 470 times and only Nemo has been played more times! How is this an ignored song?  I don’t know, man, when I think of ignored NW songs I think of Beauty of the Beast and Know Why the Nightingale sings not Wishmaster :P

3 minutes ago, Imagineer said:

I agree I don’t like this version!

Buuut ignored song? :P I think they played it in all shows from the Wishmaster to the Once era and definitely a lot of shows in the DPP tour. They also played it a few times in the Irum and EFMB eras. And once (for now) in the Decades tour. According to set list.fm it’s been played 470 times and only Nemo has been played more times! How is this an ignored song?  I don’t know, man, when I think of ignored NW songs I think of Beauty of the Beast and Know Why the Nightingale sings not Wishmaster :P

Point taken.  I suppose what I meant to say is it's practically disappeared since Floor came into the band.  We have had two live albums/videos with Floor and Wishmaster doesn't appear on either one of them?  Inexcusable.

14 minutes ago, JRA said:

Point taken.  I suppose what I meant to say is it's practically disappeared since Floor came into the band.  We have had two live albums/videos with Floor and Wishmaster doesn't appear on either one of them?  Inexcusable.

Fair enough. I do want it more on the set list since it sounds great with Floor!

Another thing I don’t like however is Marco singing the chorus together with Floor. It’s not bad exactly but sometimes he sounds louder than Floor and I prefer Floor on her own. The same happens in a few other songs as well. 

1 minute ago, Imagineer said:

Another thing I don’t like however is Marco singing the chorus together with Floor. It’s not bad exactly but sometimes he sounds louder than Floor and I prefer Floor on her own. The same happens in a few other songs as well. 

Agree with you!!! :D

On 7/23/2018 at 3:51 PM, River Wild said:

Real talk question but why do they always make sure weird decisions. Not that the new material is bad but they act like the old material is taboo. 

A decades tour shouldn't even be happening. All these songs shouldn't have disappeared for twenty years to begin with.

That's not weird at all... Most bands tour with the material they are promoting at the moment + some older hits, but just the hits, and possibly some more obscure previous songs, but that doesn't happen too often. I mean, in the EFMB tour they played "Stargazers", they have always played "Sleeping Sun" even in the DPP tour, which are basically old songs that you could say were "hits" or singles back then. Not a weird decision at all, at least the way I see it. 

I am really thankful of the Decades tour, it's a really beautiful gesture of the band catering to our whining about listening to otherwise already shelved songs.

21 hours ago, JRA said:

Replacing the guitar with an accordion?  That's what it will take to bring one of the most iconic yet ignored Nightwish songs back into the setlist?  It's like MTV will only play music when someone dies.  What an atrocity.  Not to mention the accordion is twice as loud in the mix.  I'm genuinely wondering if Emppu is just too lazy 

Oh, please! How miserable can you get?

2KEe1NC.png

I would be very surprised if the accordion player is going to tag along throughout the entire tour. She is most likely a guest performer for a couple of gigs, just like Tapio. They're having fun, and I bet the audience is too. Not every single concert has to be dead serious from start to finish. They can save that "perfect concert" for the DVD.

21 hours ago, JRA said:

They've been making dumb decisions since 2002.  Maybe Tuomas is the one that should have been fired for another guitar player.  

Especially not The Kinslayer.  That should have been the consistent opener to kick things up a notch.  If Anette didn't sound right singing it she shouldn't have been in the band.

Unnecessarily hateful comment, plus not right at all, WM has been played A LOT. Besides why going back to the good old Anette-shaming? Also unnecessary.

22 hours ago, JRA said:

Oh, relax. Netta is a well-loved figure within Finnish metal scene thanks to her involvement in both Turisas and Ensiferum. Plus she's been a very open Nightwish fan for god knows how long. She even performed Dead to the World in an accordion contest some years ago. They propably got in touch and just and wanted to have some fun so don't take it too seriously. It's not like Emppu isn't doing anything there.

6 hours ago, Myrow said:

Oh, relax. Netta is a well-loved figure within Finnish metal scene thanks to her involvement in both Turisas and Ensiferum.

Glad that you are pointing this out.

Netta is a masterful accordion player and I actually did not understand why Ensiferum let her go last year. She has experimented a lot with NW songs, though Wishmaster seems a new one. While I also think that Lahti was certainly just a "cameo" for her, the digital accordion would be able to replace the keyboards - or Troy:

Certainly a matter of taste but I find a new sound in an old song quite refreshing here and then.

As for the Decades setlist, I think that Metalhammer.com misrepresented Tuomas saying "these songs that we’re doing on this tour are never going to played again"  whereas he actually said in the Kitee interview that "the majority of these songs" are never going to be played again.

Certainly not good news either, but I am overall still very glad that the DVD has finally been confirmed. :music:  

I don't have a problem with Netta/the accordian player in and of herself, my problem is when it starts to replace the most important instrument in metal: the riffs.

On 7/25/2018 at 3:30 PM, Myrow said:

It's not like Emppu isn't doing anything there.

Except he isn't.  The guitars practically drop out completely during the verses.

7 hours ago, JRA said:

I don't have a problem with Netta/the accordian player in and of herself, my problem is when it starts to replace the most important instrument in metal: the riffs.

Your problem is that you're watching a YT video that has been shot in Finland.

9 hours ago, JRA said:

Except he isn't.  The guitars practically drop out completely during the verses.

That already had been discussed a few times in the forum, if you expect from the band to stay metal in every song and every gig, so you should not. These are Nightwish, they have to do something extraordinary in some point of the show.

As far as I remember, the crowd and especially the band enjoyed from this accordion twist in Wishmaster :)

21 hours ago, JRA said:

As repeatedly said again and again by its members, Nightwish is not bound by genre barriers. They are not metal. They are, Nightwish, and reinterpreted their own song as they pleased. Glad that you liked the "metal" version but this one is great and lots of fun.

19 hours ago, Nightwalker said:

That already had been discussed a few times in the forum, if you expect from the band to stay metal in every song and every gig, so you should not. These are Nightwish, they have to do something extraordinary in some point of the show. 

Considering how much their live shows in the past years are: visuals-fireworks-backing tapes, could the extraordinary thing finally be actually playing the damn songs the way they were originally recorded?

They have 5 musicians right now in the band, one of whom is a multi-instrumentalist. Is it so big problem to rearrange the heavily orchestrated material so the all the band can actually perform their songs?

By the way the accordion jam in Wishmaster is not a problem, the problem is that Netta played the guitar parts on that accordion better than Emppu.

I will be seeing Nightwish in exactly 2 weeks today at Bloodstock. I'm so excited & I hope they keep 10th Man Down on the setlist as I've wanted to hear it live for years. It's always been one of my favourites.

I really, really hope they promote the future DVD with an official live clip of Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean! Especially if they record a show with Tapio. I think it would go down really well, in terms of marketing.

On 7/27/2018 at 8:11 PM, Ahasverus said:

They are not metal.

Yes they are.

1 hour ago, JRA said:

Yes they are.

I agree, they are and refer to themselves as a metal band.