Encaitar

Nightwish Album Rankings 2019

58 posts in this topic

So!  On various social media fan groups, I see the challenge tossed about from time to time - "rank the NW albums!"  I don't know most of these people well, so I honestly don't care much for their opinions.  But I like to think I know you all a bit better, and I'm curious to see which NW albums you like best...and which least.  I can maybe guess for a few of you.  :)  Also, this is a few years after EFMB, so your thoughts on that album should have settled. 

Before NW IX comes out...how do you currently rank the NW albums?  I must confess for me this sometimes changes so mine below is valid as of today.  I reserve the right to change at a later time!!  This is off the top of my head, not much thought put into it.  Just - "what albums do I enjoy most listening to?"  Feel free to include commentary with yours.  :)

1. Oceanborn
  2. Century Child
  3. Wishmaster
  4. Angels Fall First
  5. Imaginaerum
  6. Once
  7. Dark Passion Play
  8. Endless Forms Most Beautiful

Once I have everyone's rankings, I'll assign points(8 for best album, 1 for worst) and we'll come up with the "ultimate album ranking" for these forums :)

Maybe we should give points so we can have an "ultimate ranking" in the end? 7 for the best album and 1 for the worst?

15 minutes ago, Imagineer said:

Maybe we should give points so we can have an "ultimate ranking" in the end? 7 for the best album and 1 for the worst?

Like it.  I've edited the post to include that. :)

I've already posted my rankings in the German language section a couple of days ago, so here goes:

1. Imaginaerum: Just an overall great album. Cohesive while at the same time diverse. I enjoy listening to it from the first song to the last. The only thing I sometimes skip depending on my mood is the poem at the end of Song of Myself. 

2. Century Child. Similar to Imaginaerum. Second place because I think that Forever Yours is one of the weaker Nightwish ballads and I am not a fan of the Phantom of the Opera in the album version, though it must have been great fun live. 

3-4. Endless Forms Most Beautiful and Dark Passion Play. I'm grouping those two together, because for me they are like the two sides of a coin. EFMB is light and positive, where DPP is sad and angry. Both albums are enjoyable but also have some flaws and don't use their vocalists to their full potential.

5. Once. Some of the greatest NW hits, but I find the album as a whole somewhat thrown together. Also not a fan of Tarja's vocals on that one as opposed to Century Child. 

6. Oceanborn. I appreciate it from an intellectual point of view, but struggle to emotianally connect to the songs. I don't like the combination of Tarja's classical vocals with the deep male vocals all that much. 

7. Wishmaster. Eh, its kinda there, with the exception of The Kinslayer. 

Not ranked: Angels Fall First. It's the album I listen to least of all so I am not ranking it with the others, plus as the band has said themselves it is more of a demo. 

1. Imaginaerum

2. Oceanborn

3. Dark Passion Play

4. Once

5. Century Child

6. Endless Forms Most Beautiful

7. WIshmaster

8. Angels Fall First

Basically, I'm only sure for the top two :P All the rest could change tomorrow.

My ranking changes from time to time :rolleyes: but right now..

1. Imaginaerum

2. Oceanborn

3. Wishmaster

4. Century Child

5. Once

6. Angels Fall First

7. Endless Forms Most Beautiful

8. Dark Passion Play

1. Imaginaerum
2. Oceanborn
3. Once
4. Wishmaster
5. Dark Passion Play
6. Century Child
7. Angels Fall First
8. Endless Forms Most beautiful

Ranking at the moment:

1. Imaginaerum

2. Century Child

3. Dark Passion Play

4. Endless Forms Most Beautiful

5. Once

6. Oceanborn

7. Wishmaster

8. Angels Fall First

Maybe we can make this a "Who's your 100% Match Soulmate" game? :P

9 minutes ago, Imagineer said:

Maybe we can make this a "Who's your 100% Match Soulmate" game? :P

Then I'm doomed.  No way there will be anyone else that has AFF at #4 :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Encaitar said:

Then I'm doomed.  No way there will be anyone else that has AFF at #4 :rolleyes:

Haha, you never know!

1) (8 points) Century Child

2) Oceanborn

3.5) Imaginaerum/ Wishmaster

5) Angels Fall First

6) Endless Forms Most Beautiful

7) Once

8) (1 point) Dark Passion Play

I've put the points for the first and last as I wasn't entirely sure if we were ranking best to worst, or if the number denoted the points score - in my defense, it has been a long week.

1) Imaginaerum

2) Once

3) Angels Fall First

4) Endless Forms Most Beautiful 

5) Oceanborn

6) Wishmaster

7) Dark Passion Play

8) Century Child (yeah, I know...)

These two are my absolute favourites:

1 - Oceanborn

2 - Imaginaerum

The next four are really hard to rank, but as of today it would be:

3 - Wishmaster

4 - Angels Fall First

5 - Dark Passion Play

6 - Century Child

These are not bad, and I've learned to appreciate them a bit more, but I prefer the other six:

7 - Once

8 - Endless Forms Most Beautiful (ehhh...)

3 hours ago, Encaitar said:

Well, here I am :P

I used to try to rank them, but when done I always felt conflicted with my list, lol. But here go again:

1. Century Child - because this album has a special feeling for me, it was also one of the first Nw albums I heard and I instantly fell in love with it.
  2. Once - this is the "classic" Nightwish album for me, it's the one I'd recommend for someone new to the band.
  3. Oceanborn - this one has their most kickass and energetic songs. It could also be #1... see, I'm conflicted.
  4. Wishmaster - another classic Nightwish album for me.
  5. Angels Fall First - it's their first album and it already has quite some really great songs, to which I still go back to, so this is a big plus for it.  
  6. Dark Passion Play - this one also has some kickass songs, but also more which I tend to skip.
  7. Endless Forms Most Beautiful - I initially enjoyed it, but then I realized this album was not very memorable to me. And the folkish sound gets tireing after a while.
  8. Imaginaerum -  catchy, but definitely my least favourite sound Nw had so far.

Note: CC and Once should both be at the first place, it depends entirely on my mood which I'd put first.

Interesting. Angels Fall First and Oceanborn are solid albums, but never really made me feel as much as later albums. Wishmaster is good, I still like that one. Century Child was always my favorite, and though I don't listen to it often anymore, I'd still call it best. Once is less good and doesn't have much of an "album feel", more of a collection of different songs. I love the darker atmosphere on Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum, but the former clearly wins out of those two imo. And finally, Endless Forms Most Beautiful is technically very good and showcases some serious composer and musician skills (and Floor was already my favorite singer before she joined Nightwish). It's not easy to rank, but I think I'd go with this:

1 - Century Child

2 - Dark Passion Play

3 - Endless Forms Most Beautiful

4 - Imaginaerum

5 - Wishmaster

6 - Once

7 - Oceanborn

8 - Angels Fall First

But honestly, numbers 3, 4 and 5 are interchangeable, they're very different albums with different strengths and each is good

1. Once

2. Oceanborn

3. Dark Passion Play

4. Wishmaster

5. Century Child

7. Imaginaerum

8. Angles Fall First

1 Century Child

2 Once

3 Imaginaerum

4 EFMB

5 Wishmaster

6 Oceanborn

7 AFF

8 DPP

Ranking Nightwish is really hard, but I'll give it a go.

1. Imaginaerum

2. Dark Passion Play

3. Once

4. Endless Forms Most Beautiful

5. Oceanborn

6. Century Child

7. Wishmaster

8. Angels Fall First

I think I'm happy with this, yeah...

Surprised to see Imaginaerum at the top of so many lists. Well, here goes:

1. Oceanborn - The album feels timeless and the atmosphere is 100% to my taste. Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean is probably the best song ever created.

2. Dark Passion Play - Anette's vocals are not fitting in many parts of the songs, but the material here is just unimaginably strong.

3. Endless Forms Most Beautiful - Did not like it at all on the first listenings, but now it's one of my favorites. Still, much better things can be achieved with Floor and I have high hopes for the next album

4. Imaginaerum - Too many slow songs in succession at the end of the album, but otherwise solid. Anette's performance is much better here than on DPP.

5. Once - The opposite of EFMB. Blew me away initially and now I can barely listen to it. Planet Hell remains amazing.

6. Century Child - Don't listen to it much these days, but it has some classics for sure. Suffers from weak song material from midpoint on (until BotB).

7. Wishmaster - Has some great songs but also forgettable ones. The lyrics are a bit naive too.

8. AFF - Clearly demo material compared to the rest of the albums.

1. Century Child - I love how thematically driven it is. Almost perfect too. The Phantom of the Opera should have remained a b-side, whereas The Wayfarer and even Lagoon deserved to be on the main album.
  2. Dark Passion Play - Pop vocals alone does not a pop album make. I do appreciate the studio recordings, but the songs truly come alive when performed by the current line-up.
  3. Imaginaerum - It sadly loses momentum halfway through the album, as Arabesque heats up the "winter magic" soundscape and is followed by a couple of songs that invoke a campfire vibe. It's not so much that the songs themselves don't fit in, but rather the arrangements. It then finds its way back on track with Last Ride of the Day.
  4. Endless Forms Most Beautiful - Great songwriting all around, if a bit on the safe side. Our Decades in the Sun still has me all teary-eyed.
  5. Oceanborn - Heavy and melodic, but also very playful. I'm still having issues getting into Pharaoh, but other than that it's golden.
  6. Once - A collection of well-written yet seemingly random songs.
  7. Wishmaster - I feel a bit bad for placing this so low on the list, because it's still a very competent album - but it's a testament to how great their overall body of work is. I think it's biggest flaw is that many of the songs sort of just blend into one another. Two for Tragedy is still one of their best ballads though.
  8. Angels Fall First - A good first effort, hinting at the greatness that would follow.

1. Endless Forms Most Beautiful - brilliant songs about nature and science, Darwin, mr Dawkins - what more can an atheist ask for? :D

2. Dark Passion Play - argubly their greatest album, no weak songs, great sounding album

3. Imaginaerum -  probably on par wih DPP, could not decide which is better

4. Oceanborn - my favorite from the Tarja era, even have that t-shirt

5. Once

6. Century Child

7. Wishmaster

8. Angels Fall First 

1. Dark Passion Play

2. Century Child

3. Once

4. Imaginaerum

5. Oceanborn

7. Wishmaster

8. Angels Fall First

I don't feel like writing a lot about why I place the albums as I do. I have stated that before, so I'll just make a list: 

1. Imaginaerum 

2. Oceanborn 

3. Dark Passion Play

4. Wishmaster

5. Century Child

6. Once

7. Angels Fall First

8. Endless Forms Most Beautiful

Will not give many details around my list either since it may change from time to time, but thinking back on which albums made the most impact on me through the years and/or at the point of release it will have to be the following:

1. Century Child - maybe my all time favorite album ever. Just a collection of beautiful songs that hits me right in the soul topic vise. Even more now since I’m going through a hard breakup atm

2. Imaginaerum - the album that I keep on coming back to and listen to as a whole (skipping Arabesque though). All songs are excellent imo and Anette shines.

3. Oceanborn - very nostalgic and the first full album I listened to on my own back when I discovered them. I’m even more happier now that songs from this album may start to appear in the setlist again.

4. Once - so many songs I adore on this album + Floor owns them all live. 

5. Endless Forms Most Beautiful - I love this album and have probably overplayed it to death the last couple of years. Nowadays I just listen to singular tracks from time to time.

6. Dark Passion Play - love this album as well, but it has a lot of songs I tend to skip. I do listen to the live versions with Floor though + Escapist.

7. Wishmaster - dunno why this is in 7th place since it has tracks like DBP, Kinslayer etc, but it’s probably the album I’m playing the least. Nothing bad to say about it, just personal taste I guess.

8. Angels Fall First - It’s there and I know it exsist, but I can’t remember the last time I listened it. However, the Decades tour made me realize how much I love The Carpenter. It had a great new arrangement and Troy’s addition with the bouzaki + vocals gave it a very celtic vibe that I’m weak for. Same goes for Elvenpath, Floor nailed it.