Sign in to follow this  
NighttimeBird

Blackbriar

8 posts in this topic

This relatively new Dutch band is opening for Epica in October so I'm going to see them live. Because of that, I dived into their music a bit, and I have to say I'm impressed. This singer's voice just gives me the chills, in a good way! I can't find any background about the band, so let the music speak for itself:

The singer's voice reminds me SO MUCH to Sharon's voice on the first WT records, which I don't really like, but with this new sound is way better. However, I listened to 4/5 songs by them, and I got bored easily. So I don't know if I'll like their latest album.... maybe, once I left that prejudice aside, I'll give it a chance.

Arms of The Ocean has AWESOME visuals in the video. I like all the underwater scenes. I'd Rather Burn sounds very cliché to me, but her voice fits so well with the lyrics. Nice video too.

Blackbriar has song really good songs! Some of them remind me of older Within Temptation...which is a good thing for me...because a few of my favorite albums are Mother Earth,  The Silent Force and The Heart of Everything. I really like this one too!

I'm fond of both EPs the band has released and love the eerie and almost ethereal quality of the lead singer's voice. Some of the lyrics to the songs are pretty simplistic though and I hope for an expansion on that front. I like Let Me In, I just wish there was a bit more to it if that makes any sense. 

I've just discovered them via YouTube's suggestion algorithm and I think I'm in love. The singer's voice is almost magical and very eerie . 

I'm thinking of getting a ticket to EPICA's show so that I can see both bands live (but it's not that close)

I'm surprised their latest singles hasn't been posted yet:

I just met the entire band last night after their gig as a support act of Epica. 

They were super friendly, asked me if I had enjoyed the show, I did shake hands, told them how amazing they are and the opportunity to see both bands live at the same day... They even signed both EP's for me and I took a picture with Zora. She's such a sweetheart. 

I just figured out that their EP's got financed by crowd-funding and that they didn't get released by a major label. Are they still an independent band? It's shocking to me that they haven't got a bigger deal yet.. They are so talented. 

Thank you, Epica, for letting them support their music! 

I saw them live just now too and honestly, I was more impressed by them than by Epica. Not that Epica's show was bad or anything... but it was pretty much what I expected. Blackbriar exceeded my expectations for sure! Zora is something special...