eltojo

Top-50

7 posts in this topic

I got interested of another thread to rank NW albums.
And for that I spent hours to make my own top-50 songlist, to try and rank some songs first. Thought I might as well share the list I came up, with you all :-)

I tried to be really honest to myself, thinking of which songs I really like to listen and would add to my playlist of 10/20/30/40 or 50 songs, and which I would miss if they didn't made the cut.
Songs are grouped in 10's, and set in alphabetic order inside the groups

Some of the songs are marked (*live - rankings for them are based on how they sound live, with current band.
(Album versions would be lover ranked)

TOP 10

7 Days to the Wolves                                             Dark Passion Play

Amaranth                                                                 Dark Passion Play

Dark Chest of Wonders                                        Once

Ever Dream (*live                                                   Century Child

Ghost Love Score  (*live                                         Once

I Want My Tears Back                                            Imaginaerum

Song of Myself                                                         Imaginaerum

Storytime                                                                   Imaginaerum

Yours Is an Empty Hope                                       Endless Forms Most Beautiful

Weak Fantasy                                                           Endless Forms Most Beautiful

TOP 11-20

Bye Bye Beautiful                                                   Dark Passion Play

Cadence of Her Last Breath                                Dark Passion Play

Endless Forms Most Beautiful                           Endless Forms Most Beautiful

Master Passion Greed                                          Dark Passion Play

Romanticide                                                            Once

Sahara                                                                       Dark Passion Play

She Is My Sin  (*live                                                Wishmaster

Shudder Before the Beautiful                                Endless Forms Most Beautiful

The Islander                                                             Dark Passion Play

Wish I Had an Angel                                               Once

TOP 21-30

10th Man Down                                                        End of Innocence

Bless the Child                                                         Century Child

Slaying the Dreamer                                              Century Child

Last Ride of the Day                                               Imaginaerum

Nemo                                                                        Once

Planet Hell                                                                 Once

Sleeping Sun (*live                                              Oceanborn

The Crow, the Owl and the Dove                     Imaginaerum

The Poet and the Pendulum                              Dark Passion Play

The Siren                                                                    Once

TOP 31-40

Alpenglow  (*live                                                         Endless Forms Most Beautiful

Come Cover Me                                                      Wishmaster

End of All Hope                                                        Century Child

Escapist                                                                       Dark Passion Play

Eva                                                                                Dark Passion Play

Ghost River                                                               Imaginaerum

Meadows of Heaven                                             Dark Passion Play

Rest Calm                                                                   Imaginaerum

Scaretale                                                                    Imaginaerum

Turn Loose the Mermaids                                   Imaginaerum

TOP 41-50

Beauty of the Beast                                             Century Child

Edema Ruh                                                                Endless Forms Most Beautiful

For the Heart I Once Had                                     Dark Passion Play

Last of the Wilds                                                      Dark Passion Play

My Walden                                                                Endless Forms Most Beautiful

Stargazers                                                                  Oceanborn

The Devil and The Dark Deep Ocean               Oceanborn

The Greatest Show on Earth                              Endless Forms Most Beautiful

While Your Lips Are Still Red

Whoever Brings the Night                                   Dark Passion Play

Some remarks,  being completely honest, there must be many who disagree :

*Cadence of her last breath is great, one of the most underrated songs, almost made it to top-10

*Yours is an empty hope is also underrated, and must become a regular song in tours - it is absolutely magnificent, especially live

*Elan is the most overrated song, and lowpoint of every show - I really hope Tuomas & co can see it and will drop it from the setlist. (unfortunately that's unlikely)

*The Greatest Show on Earth is long, epic song - but I don't think it's really that great.  Part 3 The Toolmaker is very good and only part I really like to listen, other parts I could easily live without

*All of the songs from Dark Passion Greed made it to my list (!)

*I found Nightwish only 3½ years ago, when I saw the best live concert ever recorded by any band (Wacken 2013)
I had heard Nightwish before, but I guess it sounded too weird back then, with operatic vocals, to really catch my interest. 
(That might explain a bit my rankings, why there are many "golden oldies" missing)
I've got used to Tarjas vocals a bit by now, but still prefer Anettes recording voice and Floor live.

PS. Here's some my homemade videos, you might find interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuUUbA4dwghmMiAyxTybnvgrGx2_Aksy9

Wow how do you have the time?!

I'm still very new to Nightwish and couldn't possibly do anything like this but here are my few comments, inline in italics:

3 hours ago, eltojo said:

[...]
(Album versions would be lover ranked)

Being "lover ranked" sounds dangerous to the self-image! :dunno:

[...]

*The Greatest Show on Earth is long, epic song - but I don't think it's really that great.

I always liked this song but it has hugely grown on me.

[...]

*I found Nightwish only 3½ years ago, when I saw the best live concert ever recorded by any band (Wacken 2013)

Waken 2013 was genius. You could write a performance textbook... Someone should! I expect the excellent recording, multiple angles etc. helps too but sounds like it was amazing to be there in person!

Tampere has also grown on me. I initially had a hard time with Floor's outfit and makeup and now just love both! So there it is 

[...]
I had heard Nightwish before, but I guess it sounded too weird back then, with operatic vocals, to really catch my interest. 
(That might explain a bit my rankings, why there are many "golden oldies" missing)
I've got used to Tarjas vocals a bit by now, but still prefer Anettes recording voice and Floor live.

Honestly I'm not a huge opera fan... mostly because of the modern abuse of overly wide and prominent vibrato. Breath support, vocal folds, projection... yes, yes I understand necessity but a blended choral sound is so much prettier! And you can't understand it! Diction just isn't what it was back in the 1800s (did I say that? oh well then)

And no-brainer I'm going to prefer Floor's take on just about everything. I'd have enjoyed Nightwish before but honestly I stick around because of her. Sorry guys, you're all great musicians too! That said I've come to respect just how well put together Tuomas' songs are. No wonder she loves singing them!

I've been listening to Nightwish for over a decade, and I think I'd really struggle to put a top-50 song order together - it changes so often.

Gethsemane is a firm #1 for me, so that would be at the top of the list, followed shortly by Beauty of the Beast and probably End of All Hope as #3. But after that I'd really struggle to order the songs. Probably the majority would come from Century Child/ Oceanborn/Imaginaerum/Wishmaster, as those are my top 4 albums.

In terms of controversial opinions, for me, I probably wouldn't rank most of their epics particularly high, with the obvious exception of Beauty of the Beast. Ghost Love Score is a nice song - I actually think it's a great example of a song where I've enjoyed the interpretations of all the singers - and Floor's interpretation really gives the ending a nice kick, but I just don't find myself going back to it very often. I find the lyrics of Poet pretty cringy and I'm not often in the mood to sit through it all. Song of Myself is great at the start, but I rarely have the patience to sit through the poem. Greatest Show has some great parts in the middle, but honestly the rest of the song just goes on far too long IMO. From those albums, give me The Siren, Sahara, Ghost River or My Walden any day.

Also, just a quick note regarding albums - Come Cover Me is from Wishmaster, and Beauty of the Beast is from Century Child (unless you mean Beauty AND the Beast, which is from Angels Fall First, easy to mix the titles up on those two!)

I once did something similar while trying to figure out which my favourite albums are! (I gave points to each song and calculated an average for each album.) I'll try to convert that list to a top50. (Note: Wow, that took some time...)

2 hours ago, Himiko said:

I've been listening to Nightwish for over a decade, and I think I'd really struggle to put a top-50 song order together - it changes so often.

Same here. But ranking the songs somehow still makes me feel more at peace with the result than ranking the albums. Of course it's still not a constant, and it's also influenced by the fact that I over-listened quite some songs I really liked  (I'll mark those with a ^), so they might not lead the list now, yet I did like them just as much as the top ones mentioned now. Anyway. Here we go, approximately: 

1. [OC] Ghost Love Score
  2. [OB] Passion and the Opera
  3. [OH] Away
  4. [CC] Feel For You
  5. [CC] Slaying The Dreamer
  6. [CC] Dead To The World
  7. [OB] Sleeping Sun^
  8. [OB] Gethsemane
  9. [CC] Ever Dream^
  10. [CC] The Phantom Of The Opera^
  11. [WM] Wishmaster^
  12. [OC] Wish I Had And Angel^
  13. [OC] Nemo^
  14. [OH] Astral Romance
  15. [CC] End Of All Hope
  16. [OH] 10th Man Down
  17. [OC] Dark Chest Of Wonders^
  18. [OC] The SIren^
  19. [CC] Beauty Of The Beast^
  20. [OC] White Night Fantasy
  21. [++] While Your Lips Are Still Red^
  22. [DP] The Poet And The Pendulum
  23. [EF] Shudder Before The Beautiful
  24. [WM] She Is My Sin^
  25. [DP] Bye Bye Beautiful
  26. [WM] Fantasmic
  27. [AF] Elvenpath
  28. [OB] Sacrament Of WIlderness^
  29. [OH] OHAFA^
  30. [AF] Tutankhamen
  31. [DP] Sahara
  32. [DP] The Escapist
  33. [IR] Song Of Myself
  34. [IR] Last Ride Of The Day
  35. [OB] Stargazers
  36. [WM] The Kinslayer^
  37. [OC] Creek Mary's Blood
  38. [EF] Elan
  39. [CC] Bless The Child
  40. [++] Sleepwalker (Heavy Version)
  41. [++] The Heart Asks Pleasure First
  42. [IR] Turn Loose The Mermaids
  43. [WM] Come Cover Me
  44. [DP] The Islander
  45. [EF] Alpenglow
  46. [EF] My Walden
  47. [WM] Deep Silent Complete
  48. [OB] Swanheart
  49. [AF] Lappi
  50. [EF] The Greatest Show On Earth

This makes 

1. 8 songs from Century Child. And 4 songs from the OTHAFA EP which is basically all of the new studio material on that release, so I guess that could also be at he 1st place. 
  2. 7 from Once
  3. 6 from Oceanborn
  4. 6 from Wishmaster
  5. 5 from DPP
  6. 5 from EFMB
  7. 3 from AFF
  8. 3 from Irum 
  9. and there are 3 songs left which are not on main albums.

And this pretty much corresponds with the list I posted in the album rankings topic. :D The only difference is that as an album I put AFF before DPP and EFMB there, simply because Tarja's voice is a big plus for me, and I am more likely to come back to songs from this album than the latter two, even if those have some better written pieces. 

I will struggle with putting together a top 50 list since I would most likely forget some songs even though I like them a lot. Or just that my opinion changed one week later :P 

But I can give my top 20 as of today: 

1. Beauty of the Beast (CC)

2. Ghost Love Score (O) (preferably the Wacken 2013 version, do anyone listen to the original anymore?)

3. Gethsemane (OB)

4. The Greatest Show on Earth (EFMB)

5. Ghost River (Irum)

6. The Riddler (OB)

7. Dead to the World (CC)

8. Ever Dream (CC)

9. 7 Days to the Wolves (DPP) (Floor)

10. Devil & the Deep Dark Ocean (OB) (2018-version, can't wait for the DVD audio) 

11. Planet Hell (O) (very underrated IMO)

12. Rest Calm (Irum) (would have been higher if the outro was one minute shorter)

13. Escapist (DPP) (still after many years) 

14. Dead Boy's Poem (WM)

15. Last Ride of the Day (Irum) (the lyrics makes me happy) 

16. 10th Man Down (OTHAFA) 

17. Our Decades in the Sun (EFMB)

18. Dark Chest of Wonders (O)

19. The Poet and the Pendulum (DPP) (preferably with Floor)

20. The Carpenter (AFF) (yes, you read that right. The 2018-version is amazing and I can't wait for the DVD audio for this one as well) 

@Marius Didn’t know that Rest Calm was an EFMB song :P 

Top 50? Man that’s hard. I’ll give it a try but I don’t know if I can actually do that :P 

22 hours ago, Imagineer said:

@Marius Didn’t know that Rest Calm was an EFMB song :P 

Oops! I stand corrected :)