GhostHell

Decades: Live in Buenos Aires

193 posts in this topic

“It’s Sunday, September 30th 2018. In a couple of hours’ time, symphonic metal trailblazers NIGHTWISH will unleash their unique “Decades” show on the huge stage of the Estadio Malvinas in Buenos Aires. And once again, they will be setting aflame the hearts of thousands of dedicated fans. Released back in 2018, “Decades” was so much more than a run-of-the-mill best-of. This comprehensive chronology of the band’s first two decades not only marked the band’s 20th anniversary; it was also the end of yet another era in the stellar career of Finland’s internationally most successful group. The consequent tour, too, was so much more than a regular anniversary run; from March 9th to December 15th 2018, the seventh NIGHTWISH world tour enthralled 82 cities across Europe, North America and South America – armed with a once-in-a-lifetime setlist.

Enter the stage »Decades: Live In Buenos Aires«! The divine new live release from Finland’s finest was captured by 19 cameras on that extraordinary night in Argentina. NIGHTWISH came out to the rousing ‘End Of All Hope’ and took their bow to the unmatched epic ‘Ghost Love Score’. In between saw a set filled with pure trailblazing Finnish glory -  incorporating distinguished tracks ‘Wish I had an Angel’, ‘Sacrament of Wilderness’, ‘Elvenpath’, ‘Devil & the Deep Dark Ocean’, ‘Dead Boy’s Poem’ and many more… The evening saw countless goose bumps and unforgettable scenes – the definition of an unforgettable night, now documented for all eternity.

Today, NIGHTWISH start the pre-order for this monumental live document. It will be released as a BluRay Digibook, 2CD Digipak, BluRay+2CD Earbook, 3LP
Order your copy at the official NIGHTWISH webshop: http://shop.nightwish.com
Or from the Nuclear Blast: https://nblast.de/Nightwish-LiveInBA

“I didn’t just want to pick out the most successful NIGHTWISH songs for this tour”, Tuomas Holopainen explains. “Instead, I asked myself which songs I would play to somebody who had never heard of our band. At some point during the preparation process, I realized that I was smiling all the time. I remembered the curious, innocent boy writing all of these songs.“

And while this could have been captured anywhere this symphonic metal carnival pitched their magical tents, it was the Buenos Aires show in particular - a city of NIGHTWISH maniacs in its own right - that was destined to become a fabled event. This show achieved nothing less than taking an important snapshot of the band during yet another pinnacle of their career, celebrated by one of the world’s most enthusiastic crowds in a city like no other. It was pure magic. Let’s put it like this, if you’re already familiar NIGHTWISH, you know why this concert film is essential; and if you’ve happened to stumble across them for the very first time, you will surely be asking yourself just how the heck this could have happened, after seeing it.”

Nightwish_-_Decades_-_Live_in_Buenos_Air

Finally we have the official announcement for Decades Live. And I love this artwork so much, one of their best so far. I just don't get why it won't be released in DVD, seems a bit odd. Hope we can also have a kind of trailer or even a live clip from the show soon.

I think they don't release DVD anymore, everything is BluRay now, right?

Regarding the artwork... meh. I am usually pleasantly surprised with Nightwish's artworks even if their latest music videos are really really cringey. But this artwork looks so weird to me. The galaxy is a photo taken from ShutterStock, the circle with the miscellaneous is just a vector (sometimes less is more, but just when that less is well used, not the case here), and the owl... Is it a photo? Digital illustration? Don't know, it's just so weird.

But I am really happy about what's inside of that since I was at the show and I can only remember how amazing it was and I hope that shows in the final editing.

35 minutes ago, planet_terror said:

Regarding the artwork... meh. I am usually pleasantly surprised with Nightwish's artworks even if their latest music videos are really really cringey. But this artwork looks so weird to me. The galaxy is a photo taken from ShutterStock, the circle with the miscellaneous is just a vector (sometimes less is more, but just when that less is well used, not the case here), and the owl... Is it a photo? Digital illustration? Don't know, it's just so weird.

But I am really happy about what's inside of that since I was at the show and I can only remember how amazing it was and I hope that shows in the final editing.

Some of us only have DVD players and don't have BluRay...

Regardless, I'm happy that we finally have a date for this :D 

I got rid of my blu ray player as i rent/buy films from iTunes store these days. Guess will have to reinvest in a player!

46 minutes ago, planet_terror said:

Yeah, the cover looks really cheap. But I understand it's not profitable to shove a lot of money to the artwork of a live release.

We need a preview

The announcement demands a preview!! :dwarf:Any song will do!

1 hour ago, Damian said:

We need a preview

The announcement demands a preview!! :dwarf:Any song will do!

Except Nemo, Amaranth, Wish I had an Angel, Ghost Love Score, I want my Tears Back, Elan, etc.

37 minutes ago, Ahasverus said:

The cover is awful.

Here's hoping the mix is good!

Yeah, who cares about the cover if the sound is better than Wembley

I think the owl is the same one from the Decades compilation album (the small one in the very center). The only thing I find a little weird is the colour palette -- purple and green just don't mix that well -- everything else is just fine (though I think it would have looked a lot better if they made the circle bigger and put logo and title inside of it like they did before).

The circle itself has 8 spikes, might be because of the 8 albums released but it could just as well be a coincidence ...

It seems that they want to promote this live release as another end of a chapter or era in the band. Will the next album be a big step away from everything they've done before?

I like to consider Showtime, Storytime as the end of a chapter or a transition album. It's the bridge between old and new Nightwish. Vehicle of Spirit was more of a pinnacle of their career instead, so I see Decades Live and its respective tour like a big celebration than the end of a chapter. Let's see what future awaits us...

Just checked the iTunes pre order and they have the track lengths for DatDDO and Slaying the Dreamer so maybe they will be the “singles”?

2 hours ago, Imaginarium said:

Why awful? Becsuse its simple owl in the middle of the cover? Lol 

1 minute ago, Speckofdust said:

Why awful? Becsuse its simple owl in the middle of the cover? Lol 

I like the color scheme, but the graphics look really cheap.

8 minutes ago, spikethedevil said:

Just checked the iTunes pre order and they have the track lengths for DatDDO and Slaying the Dreamer so maybe they will be the “singles”?

If so, great choices!! :D

3 minutes ago, Imaginarium said:

I like the color scheme, but the graphics look really cheap.

Agreed.  Not a fan.

22 minutes ago, GhostHell said:

It seems that they want to promote this live release as another end of a chapter or era in the band. Will the next album be a big step away from everything they've done before?

I like to consider Showtime, Storytime as the end of a chapter or a transition album. It's the bridge between old and new Nightwish. Vehicle of Spirit was more of a pinnacle of their career instead, so I see Decades Live and its respective tour like a big celebration than the end of a chapter. Let's see what future awaits us...

I think that's how they promoted the Decades compilation as well. The end of 20 years and then the beginning of what's to come. Not sure if they mean that the new album will be a big step away. But who knows? Maybe they do.

So the DVD (except there's no DVD... haha, oh well... *shrugs*) comes out a year after the end of the tour, with no extras and artwork from Shutterstock?

I've got a good title for this release: "Vehicle of Low Effort".

This is my dream come true! I saw most of these songs in their tour in Finland 2018 (Ilosaari, Lahti, Helsinki). Also there was a great version of Wishmaster, which is missing here. Anyway this will refresh memories and save those for years to come. All these great songs live with Floor! WOW :yahoo:

DECADES: LIVE IN BUENOS AIRES (BLU-RAY + 2CD EARBOOK)

Blu-Ray:
01. Swanheart
02. End Of All Hope
03. Wish I Had An Angel
04. 10th Man Down
05. Come Cover Me
06. Gethsemane
07. Élan
08. Sacrament Of Wilderness
09. Deep Silent Complete
10. Dead Boy’s Poem
11. Elvenjig
12. Elvenpath
13. I Want My Tears Back
14. Amaranth
15. The Carpenter
16. The Kinslayer
17. Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean
18. Nemo
19. Slaying The Dreamer
20. The Greatest Show On Earth
21. Ghost Love Score

CD1:
01. Swanheart
02. End Of All Hope
03. Wish I Had An Angel
04. 10th Man Down
05. Come Cover Me
06. Gethsemane
07. Élan
08. Sacrament Of Wilderness
09. Deep Silent Complete
10. Dead Boy’s Poem
11. Elvenjig
12. Elvenpath
13. I Want My Tears Back

CD2:
01. Amaranth
02. The Carpenter
03. The Kinslayer
04. Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean
05. Nemo
06. Slaying The Dreamer
07. The Greatest Show On Earth
08. Ghost Love Score

10 hours ago, Imaginarium said:

We shouldn't, but the label should, because, you know they're getting paid to promote the band in the best possible way. That's literally their job. 

I guess expecting competency out of professionals is out of fashion these days. 

1 hour ago, Ahasverus said:

We shouldn't, but the label should, because, you know they're getting paid to promote the band in the best possible way. That's literally their job. 

I guess expecting competency out of professionals is out of fashion these days. 

Also because we expect perfection and attention to detail from NW because we have grown used to opening each of their booklets and getting lost in the details while marvelling at the music which is perfectly enhanced by beautiful aesthetics? 

I just hope they have wisely spent all of that money they saved in this cover, on an amazing debut music video for their next album.