GhostHell

Decades: Live in Buenos Aires

493 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, NighttimeBird said:

I prefer Tarja's vocals, and the original version, on most of the old songs, and this is no exception.

This and The Siren are the ones I like less with Floor

43 minutes ago, Damian said:

Well, she did play the second part once, and it was awful :( .

Everyone has a skeleton in the closet, and this is Nightwish's.  When I remember this I can't stop thinking. Why, WHY, GOD, WHY?????. Jahaha. But Anyway... old story.

Thanks all the Gods, all the heavens and all the hells we have Floor now.  

I like Anette´s interpretation. Of course Floor is technically speaking far superior, but I loved that Anette brought something new and fresh back then. And well, yes, she is not the perfect live singer, but music for me is not about pefectionism, but about emotions and passion. And Anette´s voice touches my soul in a positive way.

I also love Floor and Tarjas voices. This endless comparisons between the singers are not usefull at all.  If you don´t like the versions of Anette, just listen to the other versions. Just my honest opinion. Best wishes :)

2 hours ago, Ahasverus said:

- The (necessary) removal of "batHED" in the second verse :( the original mispronunciation was cute and gave a nice flow to the song. Come on guys, you played The Carpenter again, you can keep this little thing too :P

You might have to sit down for this...

... but I regret to inform you that... "swerds" is no longer. It had a good run. May it rest in peace. :cry:

:D

2 hours ago, icebreaker said:

The energy of the performance is amazing! Not bad for a band who has been around for 20 years. I also really enjoy the little band member interactions, like Floor and Marko acting out the „put a stake through my heart“, something that was nearly completely absent on End of an Era. They really seem to enjoy performing with each other, you can tell.

I noticed that too. Such a contrast between now and then.

34 minutes ago, Nihilist said:

Everyone has a skeleton in the closet, and this is Nightwish's.  When I remember this I can't stop thinking. Why, WHY, GOD, WHY?????. Jahaha. But Anyway... old story.

Imma be blunt and say it (with all due respect who I a mere mortal can utter to art goddess Floor Jansen) Floor is also out of tune in some places including  the "TELL MY WHY" part that is being mocked up here.

The song is hard. It's understandable. Not that Floor has something to prove or whatever, she's great and she's the best. It's about the art, and art is subjective.

10 minutes ago, Magnus said:

You might have to sit down for this...

... but I regret to inform you that... "swerds" is no longer. It had a good run. May it rest in peace. :cry:

:D

Don't worry, guys, we now have a "praimrose path" :P

I like the video. It has great energy. And I like Floor's vocals, although the operatic second part sounds a bit weak. Plus the thing she does at the very end is kind of weird. Especially since she does it twice I think.

1 hour ago, Ahasverus said:

Imma be blunt and say it (with all due respect who I a mere mortal can utter to art goddess Floor Jansen) Floor is also out of tune in some places including in the "TELL MY WHY" part that is being mocked up here.

Oh my ! Floor is not perfect!

1 hour ago, spikethedevil said:

Can we NOT turn this into a which vocalist is better war topic please.

It's not that! We are so used to see Floor nailing everything that when she doesn't nail it we are surprised!

Go Floor!

7 minutes ago, Ahasverus said:

Meanwhile Tarja's shout:

https://youtu.be/tFSqaLKXzwY?t=146

The song is hard. It's understandable. But the little things like that make the older version stand out more.

Of course, the Tarja version is excellent and I don't know if I can easily define which one I like best. I thought for a moment that we were saying that Anette's version was better.

Obviously the musical taste is subjective and sure there are people who love Anette's version, my respects for them.

8 minutes ago, spikethedevil said:

Can we NOT turn this into a which vocalist is better war topic please.

Come on! Take it easy, it's not a war. In a band with the same songs sung by three different vocalists the comparison is natural.

I think Anette sings the first part a lot better and Floor does the end A LOT better (sorry but that was probably Anette's worst moments in the band probably ever)

4 hours ago, Imagineer said:

Then again, the Bath under my bare feet is gone - the ElvenBath :P

I massively enjoy the new heaviness and level of energy that is present in both Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean and Slaying the Dreamer. Hope that this carries on into the new album. While I enjoy a nice ballad or uplifting folky song here and then, it's a good omen to me that radio friendliness did not seem to be the main criterion when chosing the singles for Decades Live.

I really do like this version, and I am excited for this release. My only thoughts are... I do think Floor could have really made this something phenomenal with a combination of more operatic vocals similar to the original, mixed with her awesome "hard rock" voice. I just feel like there was so much she could do with this song, that they didn't do.

Still, it's not like I dislike or hate this version we have. I just really want to see where Floor could go with it, and I hope she tries something new with it in the future.

10 hours ago, Imagineer said:

Yeah,  I noticed. Did she misread the lyric as "prime rose" and no one corrected her? It kind of stands out since she's not known for mispronouncing stuff.

10 hours ago, Ahasverus said:

Imma be blunt and say it (with all due respect who I a mere mortal can utter to art goddess Floor Jansen) Floor is also out of tune in some places including  the "TELL MY WHY" part that is being mocked up here.

Not in the official live video, she isn't. It does sound like she's a bit flat in a few bootleg recordings from the tour though, but that could also just be the dubious sound quality playing tricks on my ears. She sounds perfectly fine in others. If she was a bit off during their show in Buenos Aires, it's been fixed with pitch correction software and she would have been close enough to the intended note for it to not leave any audible trace on her vocals. Either way, it sounds totally fine here.

I think Slaying the Dreamer might simply be one of those songs where she got off to a bit of a rocky start but she kept improving over time, like with Nemo (which she seemed to struggle with during verses throughout the Imaginaerum tour, but has nailed ever since). It's not like she can't hit those notes, or that she hasn't. Of course, no one is perfect. She makes mistakes like everyone else. But I believe Floor is very much aware of her own performances, and can tell where there's room for improvement. it wouldn't surprise me if she listens to her own recordings and critiques herself.

Either way, Floor clearly puts a lot of work into her singing. Looking at the trajectory of her evolution as a singer makes it clear that she only keeps on getting better and better at what she does, not to mention adding new tools to her toolbox along the way. You don't get this far just by keeping on singing and hoping for the best. Which reminds me of Anette, who in more than one interview expressed how she felt like it would be a waste of time for her to improve further as a singer because she thought she was already good enough and referred to those who disagreed with this way of thinking as haters.

The difference between her and Floor is like night and day, not just in terms of skill level but mentality and approach to their craft. Anette barely improved during her time in the band. Or after. Meanwhile, Floor is arguably a much better singer now than when she joined Nightwish. Not exclusively thanks to her experience being in the band and having to tackle a backlog of such variety, but also various side projects and passion for singing. Like I said earlier, she's never stopped growing as a singer. That's what makes her so interesting and exciting to follow and why she constantly leaves people in awe of her talent.

Yeah  I did wonder why no one ever corrected her pronunciation of 'prime' rose, lol. Normally Floors sung English is very, very good.

I also didn't hear any pitchiness, though like I said I agree that the vocals at the end were a tad weak.

12 hours ago, Nihilist said:

The most shocking thing about that second one was how bad Marco was along with it.  Jesus.

18 minutes ago, JRA said:

The most shocking thing about that second one was how bad Marco was along with it.  Jesus.

Marko really struggled on that tour with alcoholism and depression and you can tell by his performances, many of which are not good.  There is also that infamous time he was too drunk to perform The Islander at some festival.

Thank goodness he managed to become sober after that, which can't have been easy, considering the easy availability of alcohol on tour as well as the others still drinking.

3 hours ago, Magnus said:

Yeah,  I noticed. Did she misread the lyric as "prime rose" and no one corrected her? It kind of stands out since she's not known for mispronouncing stuff.

Not in the official live video, she isn't. It does sound like she's a bit flat in a few bootleg recordings from the tour though, but that could also just be the dubious sound quality playing tricks on my ears. She sounds perfectly fine in others. If she was a bit off during their show in Buenos Aires, it's been fixed with pitch correction software and she would have been close enough to the intended note for it to not leave any audible trace on her vocals. Either way, it sounds totally fine here.

I think Slaying the Dreamer might simply be one of those songs where she got off to a bit of a rocky start but she kept improving over time, like with Nemo (which she seemed to struggle with during verses throughout the Imaginaerum tour, but has nailed ever since). It's not like she can't hit those notes, or that she hasn't. Of course, no one is perfect. She makes mistakes like everyone else. But I believe Floor is very much aware of her own performances, and can tell where there's room for improvement. it wouldn't surprise me if she listens to her own recordings and critiques herself.

Either way, Floor clearly puts a lot of work into her singing. Looking at the trajectory of her evolution as a singer makes it clear that she only keeps on getting better and better at what she does, not to mention adding new tools to her toolbox along the way. You don't get this far just by keeping on singing and hoping for the best. Which reminds me of Anette, who in more than one interview expressed how she felt like it would be a waste of time for her to improve further as a singer because she thought she was already good enough and referred to those who disagreed with this way of thinking as haters.

The difference between her and Floor is like night and day, not just in terms of skill level but mentality and approach to their craft. Anette barely improved during her time in the band. Or after. Meanwhile, Floor is arguably a much better singer now than when she joined Nightwish. Not exclusively thanks to her experience being in the band and having to tackle a backlog of such variety, but also various side projects and passion for singing. Like I said earlier, she's never stopped growing as a singer. That's what makes her so interesting and exciting to follow and why she constantly leaves people in awe of her talent.

Can't even trim this because really everything you said here is just about perfect.

Floor has said she's got to focus on the performance and the delivery (maybe not in those words) and not get tripped up with technical worries. That said she's clearly proud of her craft and gives it much more than the baseline care and effort. This combination and her love for what she's doing shines through and leads to these amazing experiences.

Her general approach/philosophy really resonates with me and is similar to my own. I'm just not going to be anywhere near her level but I want to set realistic goals and keep improving, both in music and in other areas of life. It may sound strange given the background I'm coming to this from but Floor is an inspirational artist for me - and I'll admit I didn't expect to find this in metal. Not that I don't respect other metal artists/acts but she was a real shock to me (and still is)!

I don't know much about Anette but I've known many people just as you describe. Personally, it's a more rich life to want and work for more than that!

Personally I really liked the Decades performance, I understand people who say that it could be better, but it is indeed a great delivery. 

Of course it's matter of taste, but maybe saying that Anette's performance was better is a little bit...exaggerated? Those videos are really painful to listen to... 

Floor gave her own interpretation to the song, I liked that, I always thought that STD was an angry song, so I found her heavy twist really appropriate. In the "lead me astray part" her singing is actually desperate, so I don't see that Tarja was more "sorrowful" but again is my opinion. Surely in the operatic part in the end Tarja was more powerful and "opera style", but her vibrato was little bit annoying for me. 

I think Floor really feels the song, play a character, portrays and tells the story, and this is wonderful, and of course her fun on stage is contagious. Really great stage presence as always. 

I'm really exited, I can't wait to see the whole show! 

Now we are talking. Slaying the Dreamer suits Floor's voice and manner of singing so much better than Anette's or Tarja's, mostly 'cause she's so versatile, she can sing classically, she can sing aggressively, she can growl, that's exactly what this song needs... 

Floor is not always on point in some of the older songs, Sleeping Sun for instance doesn't need as much aggressiveness as Floor puts into it, and Stargazers is not Floor's song AT ALL, but she is absolutely fantastic in others. Like, I would kill for a good quality Dead Boy's Poem from the latest tour. 

And Slaying the Dreamer is right.down.her.alley. It shows all the beauty of her voice in all its variations. 

15 hours ago, Nihilist said:

In that second vid, at ~2:34, Tuomas is like "I gotta rethink all this, man!" :D

Well what can I say, "Dreamer" is one of the songs that sounds better with more operatic vocals, as several people on here have already pointed out, and I would have liked Floor to do that, but I still really enjoy this version. 

I loved the performance, but yeah, the very last part for some reason does not sound right. I think I'm just too hooked on the original version. 

Looking forward to the DVD (well, bluray) anyways. 

15 minutes ago, Somebody's Lass said:

Like, I would kill for a good quality Dead Boy's Poem from the latest tour.

Or... just buy the upcoming release? :woot: I'm also looking forward to that one.

Knowing myself, I will prefer these live versions over the original older songs (pre-Century Child) and listen regularly to Elvenpath, Sacrament of Wilderness, Gethsemane, Dead Boy's Poem etc. after not playing them much recent years.

12 hours ago, CenturyChild625 said:

I do think Floor could have really made this something phenomenal with a combination of more operatic vocals similar to the original, mixed with her awesome "hard rock" voice. I just feel like there was so much she could do with this song, that they didn't do.

That's the point!!!