GhostHell

Decades: Live in Buenos Aires

493 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, Undertow said:

the new orchestral parts in the old songs kind of sounds like there was an orchestra there playing on stage with them.

Sooo true!! :D

Man they nailed Gethsemane. It always was such a good song, but this version is definitive, like it got finally realized. The arrangement is just perfect (the strings on the chorus could make a rock cry) and everyone's interpretation is so tight and cinematic.

It also called my attention how modern the song sounds, you wouldn't tell it's 20 years old. Much of that is due to the new arrangement and the playing style of the new members like in the flute middle part for example, Kai tries a punchy kick with cymbal touches that, I kid you not, sounds a bit like a Daft Punk drum line, and God knows it works amazingly. 

Definitely the highlight of the release.  Hope they keep playing it. (Give us a double kick with Stargazers for maximum nostalgia). 

Had a listen to some of the songs people said could have had softer vocals. To each their own of course but it surprised me the vocals didn't sound particularly aggressive to me at all!

About addressing the audience it'd be interesting to hear Floor talk about this. To me it just sounds like she's keeping the energy high to get the crowd pumped. If you listen to especially older interviews where her introverted side comes out more, those tones are there in her regular speaking voice.

Anyway the show must have been really fun. Although the huge festivals have their own crazy thing I think this type of venue would suit me better.

Floor needs to stop growling every time 

But I loved operatic Elan. Who would've thought 

If only the vocal mix of Floor was more "ethereal", or joined together with the music (just as in st-st. That one had an amazing vocal preset in the mix. Why not use that? Why make her sound so dry?) this would have been a dead serious studio recording of really interesting alternative versions of a lot of songs. 

They should go all the way and do it tbh. This release is good, but it still doesn't make it justice to the intricacy of the composition  and orchestration that make up the art in the musical performances. 

But whatever. In other news, I love I love Floor's operatics on Elvenpath. The song is openly theatrical enough to allow them to sound good. Same with The Kinslayer. I know they wanted to get away from the whole operatic shtick and it was a good decision, but they should also use them freely when needed for dramatic purpose. Not many bands can pull it off. They have repeatedly. Just do it well and you get one more trick in the toolbox. That's nice to have. 

Is it me or at the beginning of Elan there is a giant black bar in the middle of the background screen? :D

33 minutes ago, Sten said:

Is it me or at the beginning of Elan there is a giant black bar in the middle of the background screen? :D

Seems to be so. But technical problems during shows aren't that uncommon, for example when I saw Avatar at a festival last summer the first letter of their band logo made of light bulbs flashed randomly out of sync during the whole show, and during Amorphis' first song on the same festival their sound went completely off for a couple seconds. :music:

wrt @Ahasverus nice post above, less growling and more opera?

Not trying to be a little sh**. Just what to get where people are coming from.

btw there are some vids of this year's Raskasta Joulua (not official I think) including some operatic Floor moments. I know, not the same thing!

[Not the same cast for every show but busy for this time of year! http://www.raskastajoulua.com/]

19 hours ago, Magnus said:

However, I do not understand why her voice is so low in the mix behind Marko's.

I checked the chorus on the other live releases (End of An Era, ST/ST) against Decades, and EoAE chorus is closer to the one in Decades. In ST/ST Floor's voice is not turned down. Not that I care too much about not hearing her voice clearly in the chorus, specially when I don't even hear it live since this is one of the songs where the crowd goes louder. Sometimes louder than the band itself (recalling Teatro Flores 2012).

On 12/7/2019 at 11:36 AM, Undertow said:

Since this is the closest thing to re-recording of the old songs, that is a reason I appreciate the crowd not drowning out the music too much. I'll be listening to several of these songs as the updated versions of them, and therefore I want them as clean as possible. That said, it could have been dealt with by doing a separate mix for the audio CD, as I think was suggested in another post already. That would maybe have been the optimal solution. To have the full live experience on the Blu-ray with more audible crowd, and more of a clean take on the audio CD with less to no crowd and band interactions.

Fully agree with you.

I love this shot about Marco. He's very imposing with his wings. :laugh:

1.thumb.png.eb743530472757a52f81fa131bdf826c.png

OK I do not like "Gethsemane". It's one of those songs that in my opinion requires classical vocals throughout. It's just not the same when a regular singing voice is used.

30 minutes ago, NighttimeBird said:

OK I do not like "Gethsemane". It's one of those songs that in my opinion requires classical vocals throughout. It's just not the same when a regular singing voice is used.

This happens to me with DSC

Even though I still prefer Tarja's vocals for DSC in general, the instrumental performance has never sounded better than now and Floor does sound good in it so overall it's a hit with me at least.

22 minutes ago, Magnus said:

Even though I still prefer Tarja's vocals for DSC in general, the instrumental performance has never sounded better than now

You're right! :D

Just watched it for a second time, and I really, really love this live release, despite the (what I consider small) imperfections.

Wonderful performances by the entire band. Beautiful lighting, and a nice image, great sound. Floor's versions of some of these songs are growing on me even more now with this release than they did when I saw them in live, and I think because I now have time to digest her take and get used to it.

I love the energy of the crowd! I actually wish they made that more of a highlight. Watching that energy feed the band, and then the music feed the audience is what live shows are all about.

I didn't even miss the pyro and all of that to be honest. And maybe it's because this is how we also experience shows from Nightwish in the US (but in even smaller venues). And so it was nice to see such an amazing show produced in that way for a live release.

I watched this back-to-back with "Showtime, Storytime," and the Tampere show on VOS, and I think I enjoyed it best overall compared to both of those shows.

I have been listening to the songs for couple of days now and WOW, they sound great! I'm impressed. To me they have never sounded this good. I just felt something really nice in my chest while listening to the songs, something like... warming and soothing happiness? I don't know but it felt good. Love this release! It has some little cringey moments but I don't mind, Nightwish has always had those :D

5 hours ago, CenturyChild625 said:

I didn't even miss the pyro and all of that to be honest. And maybe it's because this is how we also experience shows from Nightwish in the US (but in even smaller venues). And so it was nice to see such an amazing show produced in that way for a live release.

I'm also used to the absence of pyro when it comes to not so popular metal bands. But last year I was also at their show at Wacken, and as much as I enjoyed all the fireworks, I missed the "wild crowd" feeling. And I had to contain myself from jumping like crazy during the show because no one else around me was in the mood of doing so. However, I loose myself in the chorus of TGSOE and an old woman who was standing behind me pushed me to stop me and yelled at me something in German that I didn't get at all, so I just said "sorry!" and moved forward. I found a group of Nicaraguan girls singing and jumping, so I joined them for the last two songs. And I enjoyed that moment better than the visual show from the pyros. They were cool, mainly in Devil&TDDO!

5 hours ago, CenturyChild625 said:

Watching that energy feed the band, and then the music feed the audience is what live shows are all about.

Everyone is entitled to enjoy the show in their own way, but I can't agree more with what you just said here. At least, that's how I feel it too. And this is the reason why I didn't choose to be in the front row for the Decades DVD, I decided to join my friends at the middle section of the crowd and enjoy the concert together with them. And that was a better experience than the pyros by far. Anyways, if we could have both things in one concert, that'd be perfect for me :) But if I had to choose one over the other, yes, I'm all for the wild crowd.

2 hours ago, Damian said:

Everyone is entitled to enjoy the show in their own way, but I can't agree more with what you just said here. At least, that's how I feel it too. And this is the reason why I didn't choose to be in the front row for the Decades DVD, I decided to join my friends at the middle section of the crowd and enjoy the concert together with them. And that was a better experience than the pyros by far. Anyways, if we could have both things in one concert, that'd be perfect for me :) But if I had to choose one over the other, yes, I'm all for the wild crowd.

As a Finn who likes to stand still and occasionally shake my fist or horns during shows the crowd shots of this release make me anxious. :P But I've seen complaints from DVD's filmed in Finland (Amorphis: Forging The Land of Thousand Lakes and Sonata Arctica: Live in Finland come to mind) that the crowd here is boring. Seems to be a pretty big cultural difference.

As for the pyros, I don't really care. I prefer small club shows anyway and see pyros mostly on festivals.

Watched it yesterday and the highlights for me are DSC, DBP Elvenjig, Gethsemane and Elan. 
Those ones reallt stand out for me but everything else is damn good also(even the carpenter)