GhostHell

Decades: Live in Buenos Aires

493 posts in this topic

How do people not have a bluray player yet? It's been around for 13 years and became the industry standard for HD disks 11 years ago.

Also,  if I had none, I would just buy the bluray disc and pirate myself a digital download :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NighttimeBird said:

How do people not have a bluray player yet? It's been around for 13 years and became the industry standard for HD disks 11 years ago.

Also,  if I had none, I would just buy the bluray disc and pirate myself a digital download :laugh:

And BluRay players are pretty cheap too... And still I don't have one. Only a CD/DVD player. :rolleyes: Might have to get a new one soon anyway so then I'll upgrade. There really is no reason to release DVD's in 2019, the quality sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Imaginarium said:

And BluRay players are pretty cheap too...

Not in South America, for instance. There's not even such BluRay industry here to produce our own bluray discs. But thanks god or my mom (?) I'm a videogame lover, so that's not a problem anymore since I bought a PS4 before the price rocketed. However, I only own one BluRay, Tarja's Act II, just because I was visiting Germany by the time it came out.

The best thing that can happen is to find someone who travelled abroad so he/she can bring the bluray to your country to avoid shipping costs and ridiculously high import taxes.

I'll definitely buy Decades bluray, it was a very special night to me (and all the local fans, of course).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Damian said:

Not in South America, for instance. There's not even such BluRay industry here to produce our own bluray discs. But thanks god or my mom (?) I'm a videogame lover, so that's not a problem anymore since I bought a PS4 before the price rocketed. However, I only own one BluRay, Tarja's Act II, just because I was visiting Germany by the time it came out.

The best thing that can happen is to find someone who travelled abroad so he/she can bring the bluray to your country to avoid shipping costs and ridiculously high import taxes.

 I'll definitely buy Decades bluray, it was a very special night to me (and all the local fans, of course).

Oh, didn't know that. Different story here in Europe then. Then again, I don't think that many people here buy movies etc. on BluRay anymore as most people use streaming services. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Imaginarium said:

Oh, didn't know that. Different story here in Europe then. Then again, I don't think that many people here buy movies etc. on BluRay anymore as most people use streaming services. 

I'm pretty sure that's a global thing. I read that between 2014 and 2019, the global market for DVDs and BluRays has been reduced by half

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^True, but they might not make Decades immediately available for streaming. It took quite a while until Showtime Storytime and VoS became available on Prime Video as far as I recall. Since I'm an impatient greedy fan I will resort to BluRay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit underwhelmed by this release. While live release from Argentina is a great idea the venue in quesiton is way too small for a true Nightwish experience. No pyro? Should have filmed Prague or Krakow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Sten said:

Bit underwhelmed by this release. While live release from Argentina is a great idea the venue in quesiton is way too small for a true Nightwish experience. No pyro? Should have filmed Prague or Krakow

Well, I for one am glad that they did not film in Kraków. I was there and the sound engineer didn't do a very good job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The DVD format is over two decades old by now.

While I get that Blu-ray players might not have taken off in certain markets, let's remember that a DVD is limited to sub-HD content (576p PAL and 480p NTSC). It's barely worth the effort in an era when even the digital options have better specs (despite also being heavily compressed!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ImaginariumAn external BluRay drive for a computer is expensive compared to a DVD drive. I just checked amazon.de and the BluRay players start at 80€ while I bought my DVD drive for half of that a few years ago. On a student's budget it was the clear way to go and it's the reason why I haven't switched to BluRay yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean just get the digital edition. Who uses discs in 2019, blu-ray or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sten said:

Bit underwhelmed by this release. While live release from Argentina is a great idea the venue in quesiton is way too small for a true Nightwish experience. No pyro? Should have filmed Prague or Krakow

the crowd makes the difference :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Sten said:

Bit underwhelmed by this release. While live release from Argentina is a great idea the venue in quesiton is way too small for a true Nightwish experience. No pyro? Should have filmed Prague or Krakow

You're getting a live album with one of the wildests crowds in the world, comparing that to most European crowds who just stand there in silence, I think watching it will let you compare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Symphoniker said:

You're getting a live album with one of the wildests crowds in the world, comparing that to most European crowds who just stand there in silence, I think watching it will let you compare. 

Honestly the whole "crowd vibe" in live releases is more of a nuisance for audio quality than anything else. You'd want to hear the band, not a noisy crowd drowning it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2019 at 7:12 PM, The_Black_Rose said:

since Tuomas has repeatedly stated he’s not a big fan of Wishmaster anymore (and rightfully so, IMHO) 

I certainly hope that opinion is humble, because wew lad.  At the very least give us a version of Floor doing it live on an official release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ahasverus said:

Honestly the whole "crowd vibe" in live releases is more of a nuisance for audio quality than anything else. You'd want to hear the band, not a noisy crowd drowning it. 

Then listen to the album versions. 

I mean I'm not saying I want to have a Bootleg-quality live record in which you can hear better the guy selling beers than the band, but I do want to hear a crowd in a live album, I think part of the experience of watching a live recording is to feel like you're there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ahasverus said:

Honestly the whole "crowd vibe" in live releases is more of a nuisance for audio quality than anything else. You'd want to hear the band, not a noisy crowd drowning it. 

For me it depends. I do want to hear them cheer or sing along when asked to. Or during moments where it clearly adds to the atmosphere of the performance, like during the guitar solo in the recording of Ghost Love Score from Buenos Aires 2012. I don't want to hear the crowd audibly cheering throughout every single performance like some constant background noise though.

I love the Tampere recording in general. It's probably my favourite official concert footage of the band released so far. However, the one small complaint I have about it is that the audience presence is downplayed even during moments when it would be a better look for the band if they weren't. It looks a bit awkward when Floor tries to get the audience all fired up during performances like Stargazers and Ghost Love Score, but all you really hear is Floor going "hey! hey! hey!" to barely any response (yet the audience is visibly reacting). Like I said, I don't need to constantly hear the crowd in the background, but when asked to participate it's a just not a good idea to edit the footage to make it look like the band is playing in front of a dead crowd. That's just not fair to either the band or its fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Magnus said:

I love the Tampere recording in general. It's probably my favourite official concert footage of the band released so far. However, the one small complaint I have about it is that the audience presence is downplayed even during moments when it would be a better look for the band if they weren't. It looks a bit awkward when Floor tries to get the audience all fired up during performances like Stargazers and Ghost Love Score, but all you really hear is Floor going "hey! hey! hey!" to barely any response (yet the audience is visibly reacting).

I think the problem with Tampere (and Finnish crowds in general) is that there's not very much noise from the crowd to begin with. Yes, we raise our fists and open our mouths, but instead of HEY HEY HEY!!! you'll hear just hey hey hey... we're a bit shy to yell haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheSnowyOwl said:

I think the problem with Tampere (and Finnish crowds in general) is that there's not very much noise from the crowd to begin with. Yes, we raise our fists and open our mouths, but instead of HEY HEY HEY!!! you'll hear just hey hey hey... we're a bit shy to yell haha!

To be honest at some shows I've been to (in Finland of course) the crowd has been really loud. For example when I first time saw Amorphis live, everyone sung during House of Sleep so loud that you barely heard the band. Sometimes the crowd is more hyped, sometimes more shy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Symphoniker said:

Then listen to the album versions. 

Oh yes those pristine album versions of the orchestrated classics sung by Floor. Totes my favorite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2019 at 12:43 PM, Ahasverus said:

I mean just get the digital edition. Who uses discs in 2019, blu-ray or not. 

Er....:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ahasverus said:

You'd want to hear the band, not a noisy crowd drowning it. 

Why would they do that? :P  

13 hours ago, Magnus said:

I don't want to hear the crowd audibly cheering throughout every single performance like some constant background noise though.

Same here. Not even the band would like to sell something like that to the general audience. I think it will sound like the GLS 2012 live clip, where they cleaned a lot of "crowd noise" out of the mix.

That's for the audio, for the camera you'll have 9k people jumping, doing moshpits, etc. But never quiet. Well, maybe during Dead Boy's Poem, we were crying like babies in that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2019 at 2:43 PM, Ahasverus said:

I mean just get the digital edition. Who uses discs in 2019, blu-ray or not. 

Data on DVDs and BDs is just as digital as on hard discs and SSDs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn´t seem that they have invested much effort on the cover...

Just bluray? It's a shame. :cry:

I think I can play it on my old PlayStation 3 but is much more easy to me if I have a DVD that I can play it on my notebook.

 

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now