GhostHell

Decades: Live in Buenos Aires

193 posts in this topic

I wonder why Master Passion Greed is not played live ..  😐🙄 Love the music in this track . So industrial drumming in it.

2 minutes ago, Speckofdust said:

I wonder why Master Passion Greed is not played live ..  😐🙄 Love the music in this track . So industrial drumming in it.

Sarcasm?

It's about Tarja's husband. If they ever wanted to perform it live they would have done so during the DPP tour. They have since moved on. The anger and resentment clearly isn't there any more. Maybe if they re-wrote the lyrics, but that seems very unlikely to happen.

But the story sung in this track could also not be focusing on Tarja too...Lol  Some people can be Greedy too :P

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

Not sure how many people agree with me, but I never really cared for the studio version. Yet I love this performance.

This. The current live performance of this song, with the added orchestrals and everything, made me enjoy this song so much more.    

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

Not sure how many people agree with me, but I never really cared for the studio version. Yet I love this performance.

I agree with you!! :D

About the End of an Era subject, everyone is entitled to have their own opinions and tastes. I think as a concert overall it was great, despite the fates of Nightwish and Tarja hours later, I don't care or think so much about that when I watch the show. It was a huge conclusion for the Once Upon a Tour in their homeland, the biggest tour until then. They performed really well on stage and I can't perceive the "eerie" atmosphere at all, as said previously on this thread.

Regarding technical questions, I definitely like how it sounds to me, and that's so much better than Wacken or Wembley, for example. Visually it's also the best. Better shots and angles than any other DVD. Anyway, it has more to do with everyone's taste, I guess.

I have absolutely nothing negative to say about Decades Live, though. Sounds good so far based on the clip released. Both sound and video.

2 hours ago, Speckofdust said:

Studio version is great imo

Yeah, if I'm being quite honest, as great as Floor is live, she just can't capture the magic of the studio tracks without doing it precisely like Tarja does.

1 hour ago, GhostHell said:

I think as a concert overall it was great, despite the fates of Nightwish and Tarja hours later, I don't care or think so much about that when I watch the show. It was a huge conclusion for the Once Upon a Tour in their homeland, the biggest tour until then. They performed really well on stage and I can't perceive the "eerie" atmosphere at all, as said previously on this thread.

Regarding technical questions, I definitely like how it sounds to me, and that's so much better than Wacken or Wembley, for example. Visually it's also the best. Better shots and angles than any other DVD.

Agree!!

I'm just salty the keyboards are so low in the mix. In the original, at 0:39 Tuomas does a great arpeggio that gives it completely different mood to the piece, same with 2:52, yet it's absent from the new mix.

Tuomas obviously plays them if you watch the video, it was just decided by someone that they weren't important enough. And that person chose a disservice to the music itself.

It's all about getting it.

16 hours ago, Ahasverus said:

I'm just salty the keyboards are so low in the mix. In the original, at 0:39 Tuomas does a great arpeggio that gives it completely different mood to the piece, same with 2:52, yet it's absent from the new mix.

Tuomas obviously plays them if you watch the video, it was just decided by someone that they weren't important enough. And that person chose a disservice to the music itself.

It's all about getting it.

Agreed, he is very low on the mix.

5 hours ago, Imaginarium said:

Agreed, he is very low on the mix.

It's like the people who mix the band's work actively hate the keyboard sound, when it was the keyboard which made Nightwish sound like Nightwish before the orchestra came in.  And in some parts, as the aforementioned one in The Devil, they can't be replaced by a bunch of strings and horns without something getting lost in translation.

I personally believe Tuomas should have a more active work in the mixing process. It seems that it's been lately been handled by the producers and even Marco, but it's TUomas who really knows how his songs should sound like.

I don't think it's necessarily that the keyboard is too low in the mix. The pre-recorded orchestra comes out of that thing too. It might be a sound balance issue that's already present in the presets loaded into it, that they simply haven't fixed in post. Even various presets for the synthesiser seem to come out at different volume levels, not just the pre-recorded orchestra. I can hear Tuomas playing the various pads just fine, for example. It seems that some of the lead synth is randomly much lower volume than everything else.

1 hour ago, Magnus said:

I don't think it's necessarily that the keyboard is too low in the mix. The pre-recorded orchestra comes out of that thing too. It might be a sound balance issue that's already present in the presets loaded into it, that they simply haven't fixed in post. Even various presets for the synthesiser seem to come out at different volume levels, not just the pre-recorded orchestra. I can hear Tuomas playing the various pads just fine, for example. It seems that some of the lead synth is randomly much lower volume than everything else.

This! :D

Maybe she will visit  The FAME music museum as Tuomas said in latest interview that he will be visited  ..But I may be wrong

15 hours ago, Magnus said:

It might be a sound balance issue that's already present in the presets loaded into it, that they simply haven't fixed in post.

That's literally their job

Keep being drawn back to this Devil & the Deep Dark Ocean performance. I won't claim to understand the song - probably someone here could do a great job (if so inclined). Love the dark, unsettled and menacing mood! The last part has that structure, used in classic repertoire also, where there is a sudden mood change, the sun breaking through the storm clouds and burning them away.

This is Floor singing about setting the dolphins free. And indeed her light shines through the clouds here and burns them away. In a previous post I, er, "dedicated" a folk song to her as it fit just perfectly for that moment. One so beautiful line from this is, "And even in my darkest hour you'd be the welcome morning sun". Understood, this is reserved for Hannes, Freya and her immediate circle. But even from this distance, when Floor shines we all feel the warmth from it.